*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2021-2022*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the TMDSAS FAQ on letters:

Letter Requirements​

All letters of evaluation must include the following criteria in order to be accepted by TMDSAS. Any letters that do not meet these standards will be rejected.
  1. Be written on official letterhead (personal or professional letterhead is accepted)
  2. Include the evaluator's contact information (specifically a phone number and/or email address)
  3. Include the evaluator's signature
  4. Include the applicant's name
  5. Letter must be dated. Admissions committees will take the date of the letter into consideration during review, with a strong preference for letters written after May 1, 2020.
  6. Written in English
For the letterhead I planned to ask the pharmacist i work with for a LOR. He is not in a supervisor position at the hospital but as a technician, I have worked under him for the past year. Will he have to ask for one from the hospital or can he just submit it as is so long as his information in on there?

Members don't see this ad.

For the letterhead I planned to ask the pharmacist i work with for a LOR. He is not in a supervisor position at the hospital but as a technician, I have worked under him for the past year. Will he have to ask for one from the hospital or can he just submit it as is so long as his information in on there?
He can write it for you as long as he can create some kind of letterhead appearance and be sure it is dated at the top, gives your full name, and has his contact information (phone and email) at the bottom. He should also probably put the hospital pharmacy mailing address on the bottom too. Be sure he signs it also
Look at some examples of letterheads in your word processor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It says that it takes around 2 to 3 weeks for our casper results to be sent out. Will there be a notification that our results have been sent out to each of our schools?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for our Snapshot to be sent out. Is that also 2 to 3 weeks? Because I just took casper but I wasn't goign to take snapshot until a few days later. Just want to make sure it doesn't delay my app.

It says that it takes around 2 to 3 weeks for our casper results to be sent out. Will there be a notification that our results have been sent out to each of our schools?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for our Snapshot to be sent out. Is that also 2 to 3 weeks? Because I just took casper but I wasn't goign to take snapshot until a few days later. Just want to make sure it doesn't delay my app.
It shouldn't cause you a delay. SHSU being on the slightly later timeline of most DO schools will help too.

"All test scores are processed and distributed directly to academic programs as a group. Your Casper score will be made available to the programs on your distribution list 2-3 weeks after taking your test.

You will not receive an email stating that your score has been delivered. However, in the Reservations section of your Altus Suite account, you will see “Completed – Results delivered” to indicate that the score has been delivered. If you see “Completed – Results pending,” your Casper score has not yet been distributed.

It may take some extra time for individual programs to update the status of your Casper score in their system. Please allow programs ample time to update their system."

I took 2 community college courses after graduating college. Would I label these courses as PB- post baccalaureate under course work? Will the TMDSAS fix errors like these involving course work or will it mess up my whole application?

I took 2 community college courses after graduating college. Would I label these courses as PB- post baccalaureate under course work? Will the TMDSAS fix errors like these involving course work or will it mess up my whole application?
They will fix if needed

Can we copy and paste a plain text prewritten secondary into the secondary portals for each school? It shows up when I copy and paste it into the text box on the secondary, but I just wanted to make sure that the school would be able to see it too on their end.

Can we copy and paste a plain text prewritten secondary into the secondary portals for each school? It shows up when I copy and paste it into the text box on the secondary, but I just wanted to make sure that the school would be able to see it too on their end.
@hy1010 this should work, but be sure to check to be sure that you have the 2022 prompts.

Has anyone who submitted 6/2 gotten transmitted yet? On the TMDSAS homepage it says that they are currently processing applications submitted 5/31. However, my friend who submitted 6/1 said she got transmitted and is receiving secondaries from schools.

How accurate is the Processing page on the TMDSAS homepage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who submitted 6/2 gotten transmitted yet? On the TMDSAS homepage it says that they are currently processing applications submitted 5/31. However, my friend who submitted 6/1 said she got transmitted and is receiving secondaries from schools.

How accurate is the Processing page on the TMDSAS homepage?
Some applications have more corrections needed or need a message sent and responded to. It’s a ballpark estimate within a day or two.

I'll be complete at all schools tomorrow, does anyone typically know when interview invites should come in if being complete this early?

Just started receiving my secondaries yesterday, I have pre-written most of them but I still need to edit and have someone proof read them. Is waiting a week to turn these around too long? Should I try to get them in within a few days of receiving them?

Just started receiving my secondaries yesterday, I have pre-written most of them but I still need to edit and have someone proof read them. Is waiting a week to turn these around too long? Should I try to get them in within a few days of receiving them?
Aim to submit within 2 weeks of getting an invitation. Prewriting helped you be more ready but take the time to proofread & be sure you used the 2021-2022 prompts. I think we have all the prompts shared now on the individual school threads.

Hey, Texans & wannabe Texans!

Still grappling with your TMDSAS application? Have questions?
TMDSAS is holding its first live Q&A session on Facebook Monday, June 28 at noon Central Time Zone.
The staff who process the apps will be answering your questions live, and they are very helpful.

Log in to Facebook and type your questions in the comment space, they will answer questions 1 by 1.

Link to the "TMDSAS Office Hours" event: TMDSAS Office Hours Facebook Live

What should be my turnaround time for secondaries? I wasn't expecting to be verified so quickly and got a flood of secondaries on the beginning on 6/5.

What should be my turnaround time for secondaries? I wasn't expecting to be verified so quickly and got a flood of secondaries on the beginning on 6/5.
Aim for 2 weeks, sooner turned in sooner they can read your complete application.

Reactions: 1 users
ASAP. There are no hard and fast rules, but two weeks is the rule of thumb around here. It's not written in stone, and PLENTY of people have taken way longer and been successful. It's infinitely more important to do a good job than to turn them around quickly. The deadline is the deadline they give you, which, in most cases, is several months from now. Good luck!!!

So I submitted most of my "top choice" Texas applications ~6/15(ish)~ and officially finished all of my secondaries for TX about a week ago. Because of how early I'm hoping I landed in the stack of applications, when should I expect being notified of an interview? Patience is clearly not my virtue, and I don't really know what to do in the meantime. Do interview invites go out as soon as July hits? Or is it just a "when we get there, we get there" type of thing?

Thanks in advance!

So I submitted most of my "top choice" Texas applications ~6/15(ish)~ and officially finished all of my secondaries for TX about a week ago. Because of how early I'm hoping I landed in the stack of applications, when should I expect being notified of an interview? Patience is clearly not my virtue, and I don't really know what to do in the meantime. Do interview invites go out as soon as July hits? Or is it just a "when we get there, we get there" type of thing?

Thanks in advance!
@zdm2022 last year the earliest interview invitations went out in early July, (from Texas Tech El Paso, Texas A&M, and Long).
The other TX schools didn't send out any until August, some not until late August.
As long as you have done your part, it becomes a waiting game so don't let impatience make you worry.
When you start to see people announcing interview invitations but you didn't get one from that school, it doesn't mean you have been "passed over", invitations keep on going out over the next 6 months.

@wysdoc I sent you a DM -- do you respond to those? or should I ask you a question on this thread?

When do we start getting an idea how large the applicant pool will be this year? Will it be bigger than last year?

When do we start getting an idea how large the applicant pool will be this year? Will it be bigger than last year?
we'll have to wait until the end of July to get an idea, and usually TMDSAS will share some application count numbers by then.

I'm not a sociopath. I just type very slowly. Since most of the TMDSAS schools ask for Casper, will getting the lowest percentile score on Casper strongly hinder my chances for an interview or acceptance?

I'm not a sociopath. I just type very slowly. Since most of the TMDSAS schools ask for Casper, will getting the lowest percentile score on Casper strongly hinder my chances for an interview or acceptance?
Do your best and get your important ideas down first. You won't do poorly on CASPer for not finishing, but for giving inappropriate solutions.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like Altus is now singing a different tune. It went from "you have 10 days to do Snapshot" to "you can no longer take Snapshot" to...

"You may complete Snapshot for admissions consideration until your earliest program distribution deadline. Check the Dates and Fees page." (from the Altus Suite Homepage)

:lol:

Does anyone know how important the committee evaluation is? I'm trying to decide whether to forgo it (because my school is saying it might be done late July to early August, and that's when I would likely be 'complete' to the TX medical schools) or to keep myself in the queue. All other portions of my application are finished. If I forgo it, they will include a disclaimer note saying it's because their resources/staff were maxed out.

Does anyone know how important the committee evaluation is? I'm trying to decide whether to forgo it (because my school is saying it might be done late July to early August, and that's when I would likely be 'complete' to the TX medical schools) or to keep myself in the queue. All other portions of my application are finished. If I forgo it, they will include a disclaimer note saying it's because their resources/staff were maxed out.
TMDSAS schools know that some committees don’t convene to do those letters until they are back at school in early August. If your college is one that is known to do a committee letter, it’s better to wait for it.

TMDSAS schools know that some committees don’t convene to do those letters until they are back at school in early August. If your college is one that is known to do a committee letter, it’s better to wait for it.

Yes, I do believe my college is known for its committee letters. Is it better to wait for it even if it means a completion date (at worst) in early August? How much of a disadvantage would that put me in for early consideration for interviews?

Yes, I do believe my college is known for its committee letters. Is it better to wait for it even if it means a completion date (at worst) in early August? How much of a disadvantage would that put me in for early consideration for interviews?
Yes wait for it, interviews are barely beginning by then

Is there a thread somewhere where people begin to announce they've been offered interviews? It's July (although day 2), and I was wondering if there was a place to get updates on that end

Is there a thread somewhere where people begin to announce they've been offered interviews? It's July (although day 2), and I was wondering if there was a place to get updates on that end
Someone got an interview from the Sam Houston DO school yesterday, usually people will post on the school specific threads

• Wow
I recommend putting a "watch" on all the threads of schools you applied to.
I saw the first announcement of an interview invitation from SHSU on July 1!

In a couple of weeks I will start up our general Texas discussion thread, the new iteration of the "Republic of Texas" threads, where I will update things exactly like this, news on interviews, changes in the cycle, and later on prematch, match, and acceptances.

To see the last cycle's thread peek over here: #1

• Love
**~~** A reminder about MCAT scores **~~**

When applying to TMDSAS schools, don't forget the extra step needed:
You need to officially "release" your MCAT scores to TMDSAS.
This is done on the same AAMC portal where you registered to take the MCAT.
(AMCAS schools automatically see your scores and this extra step is not needed).

Some of you may have done this when you initially registered for the test, but every year some people forget and then wonder why their application is not marked complete at any of their TX schools.

Releasing the score to TMDSAS subsequently gets it sent to all the TMDSAS schools you apply to.
If you forgot to do this earlier and go set up the release now, TMDSAS will send the score along to your schools as soon as they get it.

Hi, Texans and wannabe Texans, how is everything going this Independence Day?

A quick "Freedom of Information" post from Wysdoc:
I am happy to answer general questions about the TMDSAS application process.
I try to post any updates I hear from schools on the school-specific threads.
I post updates about which schools are sending interview invites and any schedule changes.

I am not on the admissions committee of any med school. I just know stuff because it interests me and I keep up.
I am open to PMs from people who want to ask something or tell me something off the public threads. I keep all PM info confidential and don't share it on the open boards.

Here are the questions I don't, or can't answer:
1. When will X school invite me for an interview? also, Why has Elmo been invited before me and I got my app in first? I don't know, each school has their own priority on whom to interview, schools do not go in order of submission date, and I have no ability to predict the future.
2. What should I write on my essays? This is up to you, use your best judgement, it's what makes us all unique. I will sometimes comment on whether something fits a certain prompt.
3. Will you read my personal statement, essay, secondary, etc.? Sorry, no. Ask teachers, advisors, etc. to read it over for you. Not your mom. Not other pre-meds. If anything on there could be cringy, childish, over-critical, over-arrogant, or over-dramatic, you need to rewrite it. There are some great threads on SDN about how to write a personal statement, search bar for the win.
4. I'm the BEST, why can't I get interviews from ALL the Texas schools? Because they go by mission fit as well as the numbers. A person who wants to do research in the big city wouldn't possibly fit the profile of a school looking for family practitioners who would love to live in Dime Box, Texas. It is rare for an applicant to get interviews from all the TX schools.

How should I keep up with things once I submit my TMDSAS app?
1. Check your email and spam mail daily. (Not hourly)
2. Check your TMDSAS portal for messages once a week. Especially soon after you submit, as your application liaison might contact you for clarifications. You will get a message to verify your PCR (Prescribed Coursework Report) to see if you agree with the classifications for your pre-reqs.
3. Treat your TMDSAS liaison courteously. They are there to help you. They are darn good at it and very patient.
4. Follow TMDSAS, AMCAS, and your schools on Facebook, SDN, and Twitter as you prefer.
5. When you get word about a secondary, write it sincerely and try to get it back within 2 weeks. Remember they have already read your primary app, so don't rehash the essays but if you need to address the same topic, bring out different points.
6. The time you get called for an interview has no bearing on whether you will get in.

SDN Tips:
1. Try not to interrogate your homies on SDN. There will soon be a LOT of posts that just say, "When were you complete? What are your stats, if you don't mind?". To avoid this issue, you might want to put a couple of things in your signature, like "TX resident" or "OOS applicant" or "LizzyM 68". You can post the "LizzyM score" instead of your exact GPA and MCAT to preserve some shred of anonymity. If you prefer not to answer such questions, ignore them.
2. Be positive and encouraging to one another.
3. Search for your question before starting a new thread. It has probably been asked before.
4. Try to keep your school-specific comments on that school's thread.
5. "Watch" the threads of schools you are interested in. You will get a notice on SDN every time a new post is made.

Keep up the hard work on your applications and secondary essays!
Wysdoc

Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc I am OOS from CA, LM ~70, with ties to TX (family) - do you think I have a chance at TMDSAS schools? Or is it too late to submit anyway? If you think I might have a chance, which schools would you recommend I apply to? I'm most interested in TCOM and not sure if I should even bother applying to the MD schools as an OOS applicant since my stats are mediocre or which ones I would have a better chance at. Also, I wanted to ask if TMDSAS schools are more friendly to OOS MD-PhD or MSTP applicants vs MD only/DO only and whether I would have a better shot applying MD/DO only or MD-PhD/MSTP with my stats? I have strong research experience and interests. Submitted AMCAS already. Thank you.

*Please do not quote*

@wysdoc I am OOS from CA, LM ~70, with ties to TX (family) - do you think I have a chance at TMDSAS schools? Or is it too late to submit anyway? If you think I might have a chance, which schools would you recommend I apply to? I'm most interested in TCOM and not sure if I should even bother applying to the MD schools as an OOS applicant since my stats are mediocre or which ones I would have a better chance at. Also, I wanted to ask if TMDSAS schools are more friendly to OOS MD-PhD or MSTP applicants vs MD only/DO only and whether I would have a better shot applying MD/DO only or MD-PhD/MSTP with my stats? I have strong research experience and interests. Submitted AMCAS already. Thank you.

*Please do not quote*
If you apply to TX schools on TMDSAS try to submit your application before the end of July. You don't have to demonstrate Texas ties, just be a fit for the school's profile. I don't know much about MD/PhD applications to be honest.

Does anyone have info on the chances of getting accepted based on completion date? I know there was a link in one of the previous pages of this thread, but it appears to be broken. I'm worried a completion date of early July would be considered late for a reapplicant.

Does anyone have info on the chances of getting accepted based on completion date? I know there was a link in one of the previous pages of this thread, but it appears to be broken. I'm worried a completion date of early July would be considered late for a reapplicant.
Early completion is related to your chance of getting an interview, but not directly to acceptance.

I thought early July completion was mighty early even for TX.

I thought early July completion was mighty early even for TX.
For context, last year I submitted my primary in mid July and was complete in late August/early September. I received 1 II (Long) and no acceptances. This year I wanted to submit earlier, and I thought being complete in July was early enough, but now I am second guessing myself.

Also I think the link you are talking about showed acceptance percentages based on primary submission month, not application completion.

For context, last year I submitted my primary in mid July and was complete in late August/early September. I received 1 II (Long) and no acceptances. This year I wanted to submit earlier, and I thought being complete in July was early enough, but now I am second guessing myself.
I never really know what applicants mean when they ask about being "complete".
Do you mean your primary, test score, CASPer, and letters are all in?
Do you mean you have already written and submitted your secondary essays?

Being a reapplicant is pretty common at TX schools.
It sounds like you applied earlier this year, so that's good.
If you are now working your way through the secondaries and submitting them, you are right where you need to be.

I'm looking for some advice or examples on how to write the descriptions for honors/awards, job/healthcare activities. What I have seen is 'don't just recite your duties or criteria, tell a story about why it was meaningful or how it impacted you.' I have found examples for the most meaningful essays but am not sure how to proceed on some of those that I'm NOT including as most meaningful, especially with the limited character count in TMDSAS.
Three examples on which I'd appreciate some advice
1) scholarships/awards for which I did not actively seek. For example, college scholarship and honor societies, I am not sure what to list beyond the qualifications for receiving them. The honor society recognition is supported by
2) job descriptions that aren't obvious. For example, I've worked as physician assistant both clinically and in PA education. Since the actual job duties can vary widely based on the specialty, it seems relevant to list what I actually did, especially since I discuss how the jobs impacted me in my essays.
3) descriptions for health care experience/jobs that were broken up. Eg, I worked as an EKG tech for a year, then stopped for the summer and resumed in the fall. Should I try to tell a separate story for each?

My sense is that as long as I make an attempt at discussing how something impacted me for the majority of these things, an occasional less descriptive one will be okay.

I'm looking for some advice or examples on how to write the descriptions for honors/awards, job/healthcare activities. What I have seen is 'don't just recite your duties or criteria, tell a story about why it was meaningful or how it impacted you.' I have found examples for the most meaningful essays but am not sure how to proceed on some of those that I'm NOT including as most meaningful, especially with the limited character count in TMDSAS.
Three examples on which I'd appreciate some advice
1) scholarships/awards for which I did not actively seek. For example, college scholarship and honor societies, I am not sure what to list beyond the qualifications for receiving them. The honor society recognition is supported by
2) job descriptions that aren't obvious. For example, I've worked as physician assistant both clinically and in PA education. Since the actual job duties can vary widely based on the specialty, it seems relevant to list what I actually did, especially since I discuss how the jobs impacted me in my essays.
3) descriptions for health care experience/jobs that were broken up. Eg, I worked as an EKG tech for a year, then stopped for the summer and resumed in the fall. Should I try to tell a separate story for each?

My sense is that as long as I make an attempt at discussing how something impacted me for the majority of these things, an occasional less descriptive one will be okay.
@Jett24 you're right, the 300 character limit doesn't allow for much expansion on some of these.
my main tips are to:
1. Use up characters in the title to name your award and location: "40 Acres Scholar, UT Austin" then in the body state the criteria. "Awarded to the top 5 incoming freshmen from each county". You can say the $$ amount if you want. If it's a smaller/more common one say "awarded to all with GPA over 3.5, renewable each year".
2. describe the EC title and location in the title of the activity, this saves you from saying it again within the body of the description. Use the body to say what your actual role and activities were within that activity.
Ludicrous example: "Medical Assistant Disney World Emergency Room, Orlando FL"
"I cleaned exam rooms between patient encounters and restocked the rooms with wet wipes and Disney bandaids, sunscreen, and fresh drinking water. Removal of gum from hair and cotton candy from chairs was my special skill."
You mainly want to describe what you did in the ones where you were short on space.
3. Cut out filler words. If every activity starts out with the phrase "as a junior helper in the DisneyWorld Emergency Room" you have just used up 52 characters. It's going to end up sounding terse sometimes.

Last edited: