*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2021-2022*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
  • Is there a clickable button to indicate which activity was most meaningful or do I need to state the activity title in the most meaningful description? Because on AMCAS you are able to click most meaningful for the activity and the additional description is added right under your first paragraph.
  • If I was in an organization during college do I input it as multiple entries (August - May for each year) or under one category? If I input it as one category how do I record my weekly hours? If I use multiple entries do I change my description or just copy and paste?
  • If I was in a leadership position all 4 years as a member in an organization, should I put it under the leadership or extracurriculars section? I really want to be able to record my hours because of how high the number is.
1. no clickable button, but in just a couple of words it will be clear which activity it was
2. List it once and then say 8/2017 to 5/2018 etc.etc. Remember to calculate your hours just for those months, not for all 12 months of the year.
If you only spent 3 hours a week the calculated number will be small but that's common
3. If it's more important to have a leadership entry, emphasize the large # of hours in your description or in the most meaningful activity essay space. Maybe the volunteer activities you organized during those many hours are more important to round out your resume than "being the president".
Use your best judgement.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble finding the updates for the TMDSAS processing times. The TMDSAS support twitter says to check the homepage, but there are no updates there either. Is there a way to find them?
Also, I submitted on May 27th. When could I expect the app to be processed? And is this early enough?
There will eventually be a dateline feed, and when I find it I will post it on this thread.
You submitted in May, don't be worried!

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor takes more OOS than the other TMDSAS schools. If you are a competitive student, throw your (cowboy) hat into the ring!
Don't you think this had more to do with Baylor being on AMCAS, and also attracting far more OOS applications than any other TX school, than anything else?

As a TX insider, do you know what was behind Baylor bailing on AMCAS and joining its peers on TMDSAS? Does this not portend that it will be less friendly to OOS than it has been in the past (assuming 20% of the class is the new definition of friendly)?

They intentionally made it more difficult and expensive for OOS applicants to apply, while at the same time making easier and less expensive for IS applicants to apply. Is the expectation really that it is going to continue to take more OOS than other TX schools?

If so, it will be surely become MUCH easier for an OOS applicant to score a Baylor A than in the past (fewer applicants/same number of seats, assuming OOS yield is not expected to change even though OOS applicants applying through TMDSAS are clearly more motivated than those applying through AMCAS). If not, this is an illusion based on historical data that is no longer relevant, and Baylor can be expected to receive fewer OOS applications, and offer fewer As to OOS than in the past, more in line with its TMDSAS peers.

Do you have any insight into what went into their decision, and how OOS applications played into it? I know at least one OOS applicant who was very interested in Baylor, and had been planning on applying, but could not justify the time and expense involved in throwing his hat into a ring heavily skewed against him now that an application system entirely separate from AMCAS is involved. I suspect he is not alone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you think this had more to do with Baylor being on AMCAS, and also attracting far more OOS applications than any other TX school, than anything else?

As a TX insider, do you know what was behind Baylor bailing on AMCAS and joining its peers on TMDSAS? Does this not portend that it will be less friendly to OOS than it has been in the past (assuming 20% of the class is the new definition of friendly)?

They intentionally made it more difficult and expensive for OOS applicants to apply, while at the same time making easier and less expensive for IS applicants to apply. Is the expectation really that it is going to continue to take more OOS than other TX schools?

If so, it will be surely become MUCH easier for an OOS applicant to score a Baylor A than in the past (fewer applicants/same number of seats, assuming OOS yield is not expected to change even though OOS applicants applying through TMDSAS are clearly more motivated than those applying through AMCAS). If not, this is an illusion based on historical data that is no longer relevant, and Baylor can be expected to receive fewer OOS applications, and offer fewer As to OOS than in the past, more in line with its TMDSAS peers.

Do you have any insight into what went into their decision, and how OOS applications played into it? I know at least one OOS applicant who was very interested in Baylor, and had been planning on applying, but could not justify the time and expense involved in throwing his hat into a ring heavily skewed against him now that an application system entirely separate from AMCAS is involved. I suspect he is not alone. :)
@KnightDoc and people interested in Baylor, the best place to get the answers to all those questions is in the interview recorded when Baylor announced its decision to change to the TMDSAS portal for its applications. In the interview they discuss why, and how many OOS applicants they will likely take.
Here you go:

@KnightDoc and people interested in Baylor, the best place to get the answers to all those questions is in the interview recorded when Baylor announced its decision to change to the TMDSAS portal for its applications. In the interview they discuss why, and how many OOS applicants they will likely take.
Here you go:

Thank you VERY much!!! :) The first 10 minutes confirms everything I thought!!

Their motivation was to increase the proportion of the class coming from TX, and to reduce the burden of applying on IS applicants. Of course, it's a zero sum game, and this comes at the expense of OOS candidates, who will now bear the cost and inconvenience IS candidates are being spared.

All of this will serve to increase the IS pool and the IS proportion of the class. They did not commit to at least 90% IS, which I guess is the good news, but they are certainly going to be reducing from 80%, which is the goal. All around a bad deal for any OOS candidate who wasn't already applying to other TMDSAS schools.

Last edited:
Has anyone who submitted their TMDSAS app on May 21 or later been processed yet? I'm a bit confused because the GPAs that are calculated on my status page changed a few days ago (meaning TMDSAS has already started working on my application), but it's been 2 days since those stopped changing and yet my app still says it's being processed. When I called TMDSAS and asked, I just kept getting very vague answers about how I need to wait until 4 weeks has passed. I just want to make sure I'm being neurotic and that there's probably nothing wrong with my application or it's been lost/forgotten lol

Has anyone who submitted their TMDSAS app on May 21 or later been processed yet? I'm a bit confused because the GPAs that are calculated on my status page changed a few days ago (meaning TMDSAS has already started working on my application), but it's been 2 days since those stopped changing and yet my app still says it's being processed. When I called TMDSAS and asked, I just kept getting very vague answers about how I need to wait until 4 weeks has passed. I just want to make sure I'm being neurotic and that there's probably nothing wrong with my application or it's been lost/forgotten lol
You will be sent a message to check your PCR when the processing is done.
Page 50, 51, and 52 of the handbook detail the steps that happen after submission, and where to look for updates on the progress.
Very few people have been completely processed by now, you are nice and early.

You will be sent a message to check your PCR when the processing is done.
Page 50, 51, and 52 of the handbook detail the steps that happen after submission, and where to look for updates on the progress.
Very few people have been completely processed by now, you are nice and early.
Ironically it just got transmitted literally 5 minutes ago (June 4, 5:11pm CST if anyone else reading this is curious, and I submitted late in the evening on May 21). Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be appropriate to list hobbies in the planned activities if you are continuing them? Just for reference I listed them in the EC section but could not put a future date past Oct 2021.

It makes sense to do so but I also feel like the planned activities is for substantial things lol

1. no clickable button, but in just a couple of words it will be clear which activity it was
2. List it once and then say 8/2017 to 5/2018 etc.etc. Remember to calculate your hours just for those months, not for all 12 months of the year.
If you only spent 3 hours a week the calculated number will be small but that's common
3. If it's more important to have a leadership entry, emphasize the large # of hours in your description or in the most meaningful activity essay space. Maybe the volunteer activities you organized during those many hours are more important to round out your resume than "being the president".
Use your best judgement.
If I only list it once why would I only put the dates as 8/2017 to 5/2018 if I was in it all 4 years? Cause on TMDSAS you can't input multiple dates unless you make separate entries. Which is why I'm confused on how I should calculate my hours.

Last edited:
If I only list it once why would I only put the dates as 8/2017 to 5/2018 if I was in it all 4 years? Cause on TMDSAS you can't input multiple dates unless you make separate entries.
Since TMDSAS has no limit on the number of entries, if this is important to you, enter it 4 times.
If you are also going to apply to AMCAS schools, their rules for EC entry are quite different so you will have to start fresh, learn their rules, and reorganize.

When does TMDASS want my transcripts? I have already submitted my primaries.

When does TMDASS want my transcripts? I have already submitted my primaries.
TMDSAS (corrected your acronym there) only asks for official transcripts when and if you have been offered admission at a TX school.
If you are still in college, you should log in to the portal at the end of each upcoming semester and manually enter your course titles and grades. TMDSAS will recalculate your GPA and update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any Texas MD schools where a non-Texas resident with zero Texas connections would have much of a chance, assuming that the application is otherwise competitive? TCU and UTRGV both look good to me, but I wonder whether most or all of the OOS accepted students are still Texas-connected.

Are there any Texas MD schools where a non-Texas resident with zero Texas connections would have much of a chance, assuming that the application is otherwise competitive? TCU and UTRGV both look good to me, but I wonder whether most or all of the OOS accepted students are still Texas-connected.
@PBJ1 and others-
While Texas admits preferentially Texas residents, due to the rules based on state subsidization for our med schools, there is no need to demonstrate ties to Texas if you are an OOS applicant.
This differs markedly from some AMCAS smaller state schools for which this is an absolute must.

To be a competitive TMDSAS applicant, you should be near or above the medians for matriculants, and be able to show interest and fit for the school's teaching methods and/or mission.

By the way, TCU/UNTHSC is an AMCAS school and has no IS/OOS quotas.

@PBJ1 and others-
While Texas admits preferentially Texas residents, due to the rules based on state subsidization for our med schools, there is no need to demonstrate ties to Texas if you are an OOS applicant.
This differs markedly from some AMCAS smaller state schools for which this is an absolute must.

To be a competitive TMDSAS applicant, you should be near or above the medians for matriculants, and be able to show interest and fit for the school's teaching methods and/or mission.

By the way, TCU/UNTHSC is an AMCAS school and has no IS/OOS quotas.
This is so helpful. Thanks very much!

Can someone post the secondary prompts they have received for each school? I want to start writing them, however i cannot find them with the exception of A&M's for this cycle.

Can someone post the secondary prompts they have received for each school? I want to start writing them, however i cannot find them with the exception of A&M's for this cycle.
@Odst472 we have a separate thread for each Texas school, and when someone gets the secondary prompts I confirm them and post them at the top of the thread.
So far we have 7 of them !
Here is the alphabetical list of the school-specific threads for 2021-2022: 2021-2022 Alphabetical Listing of Schools

You will be able to find the schools you want here, then once you go to a school page, click the "watch" button at the top of the thread and SDN will let you know in the little bell icon near your username at the top whenever a new post is made on your watched threads. Very handy !

Would it be acceptable to include in Planned Activities that I plan on beginning more community service in the near future but am currently waiting for responses to several volunteer applications? Ideally, I will begin in the next month or so. I'm a re-applicant and know that community service is one area that needs improvement, but I want to apply ASAP and don't want to wait until I am certain of what service activity I will be doing before submitting my application. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Would it be acceptable to include in Planned Activities that I plan on beginning more community service in the near future but am currently waiting for responses to several volunteer applications? Ideally, I will begin in the next month or so. I'm a re-applicant and know that community service is one area that needs improvement, but I want to apply ASAP and don't want to wait until I am certain of what service activity I will be doing before submitting my application. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
Yes since you don’t know where you will end up, you can title it job search or something and say you are looking for volunteer work in your own community

So my primary has been processed and transmitted with an MCAT score. I am working on secondaries and have my Casper exam scheduled. What I am most concerned about as a re-applicant is my committee letter which is going to be the last thing to be submitted since I cannot request it be sent until my last letter writer submits my letter. On top of that, I was told the committee letter could take up to 4 weeks to write and be uploaded after requesting it. I feel like I had all of my ducks in a row but I feel like my hands are tied now with waiting for this letter. Am I still on a good timeline to be completed early or does anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed this cycle if the letter of rec does make my app late?

So my primary has been processed and transmitted with an MCAT score. I am working on secondaries and have my Casper exam scheduled. What I am most concerned about as a re-applicant is my committee letter which is going to be the last thing to be submitted since I cannot request it be sent until my last letter writer submits my letter. On top of that, I was told the committee letter could take up to 4 weeks to write and be uploaded after requesting it. I feel like I had all of my ducks in a row but I feel like my hands are tied now with waiting for this letter. Am I still on a good timeline to be completed early or does anyone have any recommendations on how I should proceed this cycle if the letter of rec does make my app late?
You have done everything within your control and seem to have a good overview of what's needed. Continue to write the secondaries as they come to you and return them promptly. You are in good shape with your early primary submission.

Hi, I have a quick question about the Casper and Duet, I noticed that some of the Texas schools require both, but not all of them do. After taking Casper is there a way to only send the schools that have Casper mandatory the Casper score and not the results of Duet?

Hi, I have a quick question about the Casper and Duet, I noticed that some of the Texas schools require both, but not all of them do. After taking Casper is there a way to only send the schools that have Casper mandatory the Casper score and not the results of Duet?

Nope. Anything you do with them will be sent to all of your schools. In fact, Altus' position is that everything is required everywhere, which we all know is BS, but, no, since their position is that it's all required, they don't give you the option to pick and choose. Just like AAMC doesn't let you choose which MCATs, or subsections, to send to which schools. It's everything, to anyone who gets anything.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. If a school isn't requiring something like this, the odds are high they won't waste their time looking at it.

Nope. Anything you do with them will be sent to all of your schools. In fact, Altus' position is that everything is required everywhere, which we all know is BS, but, no, since their position is that it's all required, they don't give you the option to pick and choose. Just like AAMC doesn't let you choose which MCATs, or subsections, to send to which schools. It's everything, to anyone who gets anything.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. If a school isn't requiring something like this, the odds are high they won't waste their time looking at it.
What if someone just chooses not to do Snapshot, for example? Will the other two assessment results be delivered?

What if someone just chooses not to do Snapshot, for example? Will the other two assessment results be delivered?
Yes. This was how their BS was first exposed. They said everything was required, and then people asked whether CASPer would be held up if the others weren't completed. They were forced to admit they'd send CASPer anyway. I'm sure that's because schools insisted on it, and not because they are doing us any great favors, since they are trying to force us to do it.

Bottom line -- they will send whatever they have, but they won't let you decide what to send, and to which schools.

Only SHSU "wants" Snapshot, but they don't "require" it.

I dislike the way the Altus Suite site pushes people to do all 3. "If you are applying to Allopathic MD, you need to complete the entire suite"
Not at all true, Altus Suite guys.

So, to confirm, completing Snapshot is not actually required? I just want to double-check because mine is "due" on Sunday and I don't want to jeopardize a delay in transmitting my CASPer scores but I would also prefer not to do it if I don't have to.
Only SHSU "wants" Snapshot, but they don't "require" it.

I dislike the way the Altus Suite site pushes people to do all 3. "If you are applying to Allopathic MD, you need to complete the entire suite"
Not at all true, Altus Suite guys.

So, to confirm, completing Snapshot is not actually required? I just want to double-check because mine is "due" on Sunday and I don't want to jeopardize a delay in transmitting my CASPer scores but I would also prefer not to do it if I don't have to.
Not required.

Not required.
I heard some students are worried about schools changing up the requirements mid-cycle and requiring snapshot. Do you think this is a legitimate concern?

One of my friends said she plans on just doing Snapshot anyways and the schools who don't want it can ignore it.

I heard some students are worried about schools changing up the requirements mid-cycle and requiring snapshot. Do you think this is a legitimate concern?

One of my friends said she plans on just doing Snapshot anyways and the schools who don't want it can ignore it.
Short Answer: Highly Unlikely that the schools will change their requirements mid-cycle.

Longer answer: Many applicants were concerned about the new Altus Suite site and its 2 new products as this TMDSAS application cycle was close to opening. They understandably needed to know which components each TMDSAS medical school would expect from them.
High administrative officers of TMDSAS and THES called each of the schools for you and received a direct answer to this question.

The full information about which schools ask for which parts to be completed has been listed out for you on the TMDSAS website, under next steps after submitting your application. I have linked this on SDN many times, so please go read it.

At some point a person has to trust the information being given to them from valid sources.
I trust TMDSAS and TexasHES to give us the accurate information needed to successfully complete an application.

I personally contacted ALTUS and asked whether an applicant can specify which test results go to which schools.
The response was that ALTUS sends everything you took to every school on your list, and the schools open or upload the part they want.

So as I have said, SHSU is the only school encouraging, but not requiring, you to do "Snapshot", a canned interview wherein you answer questions to a computer screen. The other schools have not asked for it and will interview you normally, (via ZOOM, which is our new normal, but at least you are speaking with and can react to another human).

As you can tell, I'm kind of tired of this question LOL
The CASPer, Duet, and /or Snapshot are considered part of the supplementary materials you send to a school (just like the secondary essay questions).
There is no reason for you to doubt what each school told our TMDSAS leaders!
I would trust the answer that each school gave to TMDSAS on this issue.

Last edited:
Short Answer: Highly Unlikely that the schools will change their requirements mid-cycle.

Longer answer: Many applicants were concerned about the new Altus Suite site and its 2 new products as this TMDSAS application cycle was close to opening. They understandably needed to know which components each TMDSAS medical school would expect from them.
High administrative officers of TMDSAS and THES called each of the schools for you and received a direct answer to this question.

The full information about which schools ask for which parts to be completed has been listed out for you on the TMDSAS website, under next steps after submitting your application. I have linked this on SDN many times, so please go read it.

At some point a person has to trust the information being given to them from valid sources.
I trust TMDSAS and TexasHES to give us the accurate information needed to successfully complete an application.

I personally contacted ALTUS and asked whether an applicant can specify which test results go to which schools.
The response was that ALTUS sends everything you took to every school on your list, and the schools open or upload the part they want.

So as I have said, SHSU is the only school encouraging, but not requiring, you to do "Snapshot", a canned interview wherein you answer questions to a computer screen. The other schools have not asked for it and will interview you normally, (via ZOOM, which is our new normal, but at least you are speaking with and can react to another human).

The CASPer, Duet, and /or Snapshot are considered part of the supplementary materials you send to a school (just like the secondary essay questions).
I appreciate the response. Thank you!

Do all Texas schools require letters of recommendation to be sent before reviewing your application? Or can they be sent in after you are considered for an interview?

Do all Texas schools require letters of recommendation to be sent before reviewing your application? Or can they be sent in after you are considered for an interview?
Each school has its own order of reviewing, but if you’re waiting for a committee letter or something the schools know that’s beyond your control.

I would also like to add, I personally emailed each TMDSAS school and none of them said they "required" Snapshot or Duet. I believe A&M did mention Duet, though.

@wysdoc
Are there any other TMDSAS schools (besides A&M) where we have to seek out the secondary application on our own without receiving an invitation?

I would also like to add, I personally emailed each TMDSAS school and none of them said they "required" Snapshot or Duet. I believe A&M did mention Duet, though.
You’re right, A&M does state it as required and for Long and UTMB it is “strongly encouraged but not mandatory”

@wysdoc
Are there any other TMDSAS schools (besides A&M) where we have to seek out the secondary application on our own without receiving an invitation?
Just Baylor. Just A&M and TCOM now :)
UTSW used to be this way but someone commented that this year they want you to wait for an email from them.

Check the school-specific threads to see which prompts we have posted up so far. At this point I think we have 7.
You can pre-write and have them ready to roll when you get your message from the school :highfive:

Last edited:
Just Baylor.
UTSW used to be this way but someone commented that this year they want you to wait for an email from them.

Check the school-specific threads to see which prompts we have posted up so far. At this point I think we have 7.
You can pre-write and have them ready to roll when you get your message from the school :highfive:
Baylor is also by email after they receive your primary. A&M and TCOM are the ones where you can make an account on your own.

My PCR says that I'm 6 units deficient in biological sciences, but it's because a few of my courses that are definitely biology material are not on the 'approved course listings' for my undergrad. Is this something I need to worry about? Or does each school go back and decide which classes they count for their prerequisites individually?

My PCR says that I'm 6 units deficient in biological sciences, but it's because a few of my courses that are definitely biology material are not on the 'approved course listings' for my undergrad. Is this something I need to worry about? Or does each school go back and decide which classes they count for their prerequisites individually?
Call or message your TMDSAS liaison (they assign one person to each applicant's file).
Find out as much as you can about why these courses didn't meet the bar for Bio courses, and see if any of your other courses might.
TMDSAS schools unfortunately have a pretty high requirement for Bio, many wanting 14 hours in the bio category.
Have you graduated?

Last edited:
Call or message your TMDSAS lisaon (they assign one person to each applicant's file).
Find out as much as you can about why these courses didn't meet the bar for Bio courses, and see if any of your other courses might.
TMDSAS schools unfortunately have a pretty high requirement for Bio, many wanting 14 hours in the bio category.
Have you graduated?
I haven’t graduated, but I’m pretty much out of space with my degree plan. It’s a bit confusing because I think the “approved course listings” for my undergrad (OOS) doesn’t seem to be comprehensive at all, e.g. there are no classes from the neuroscience dept or the medical sciences dept listed for biology. I took a stem cell bio class in the med sci dept for example, but it wasn’t listed. I’ll follow up with my app liaison, thanks!

Dateline Feed for TMDSAS :

TMDSAS Homepage
On the right side of the web page, see which application and letter of evaluation dates they are currently processing.

(p.s. I don't seems to be able to see this on a phone, but I can on a laptop/desktop)

Last edited:
For one of the meaningful experiences, I would like to try to include 2 different research experiences to talk about how research as a whole has influenced me. I wanted to know if that was allowed or if we were only allowed to talk about 1 experience specifically.

For one of the meaningful experiences, I would like to try to include 2 different research experiences to talk about how research as a whole has influenced me. I wanted to know if that was allowed or if we were only allowed to talk about 1 experience specifically.
You can still make your conclusions about research as a whole even if you link it mainly to one of your 2 research experiences.

This may be a dumb question, but if we submitted our MCAT score to TMDSAS they will transmit it to schools for us? I assumed so but I wanted to make sure
Yes, they will send it to all the schools you select. You do need to "release" the score officially to TMDSAS on your MCAT account portal.
After you submit, check your portal a couple of times a week to see any messages from TMDSAS and to see when they have finished reviewing your application.

Is there an expiration date for letters of recommendation? I do not have contact with any of my old professors anymore being I have graduated for 2 years now

Is there an expiration date for letters of recommendation? I do not have contact with any of my old professors anymore being I have graduated for 2 years now
From the TMDSAS FAQ on letters:

Letter Requirements​

All letters of evaluation must include the following criteria in order to be accepted by TMDSAS. Any letters that do not meet these standards will be rejected.
  1. Be written on official letterhead (personal or professional letterhead is accepted)
  2. Include the evaluator's contact information (specifically a phone number and/or email address)
  3. Include the evaluator's signature
  4. Include the applicant's name
  5. Letter must be dated. Admissions committees will take the date of the letter into consideration during review, with a strong preference for letters written after May 1, 2020.
  6. Written in English

So I entered my parent's info into TMDSAS, but what if I don't know where one of my parents currently is located and cannot find the info

So I entered my parent's info into TMDSAS, but what if I don't know where one of my parents currently is located and cannot find the info
Will it allow you to enter just one parent? Directions for entering parents and other significant people in your life, if any, are on pages 18 and 19 of the handbook.
If unable to enter just one parent, you may have to message TMDSAS in the portal to ask how to handle this.