*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens if we project chem X for spring and instead take chem Y and both satisfies the pre-requirements for general chem by TMDSAS ?

Members don't see this ad.

can I able to see my pcr before submitting the TMDSAS application ?

What happens if we project chem X for spring and instead take chem Y and both satisfies the pre-requirements for general chem by TMDSAS ?
They know that future or planned classes may change - maybe a class will be full, or maybe the time schedule conflicts with another class you need to take.

Future course schedule is one of the few things you can correct or update after submitting your TMDSAS application.
Once you have officially enrolled in your Spring classes, in your example,
Log back in to your TMDSAS portal and update the course titles and numbers for Spring Term.

You cannot "see" your PCR before you submit the TMDSAS primary. The staff does not go over your classes and create the PCR until after you submit it. You will use the PCR to know what classes you still should complete in the future to meet the prerequisites of most TMDSAS schools.

For a full description of what the PCR is please go to the TMDSAS Guide TMDSAS Guide 2023-2024
and click "After submitting" on the menu on the left. Scroll down to the part about PCR and read all the drop-downs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused on entering my pharmacy technician work that was 25-30% patient interaction. Should I enter this job only on paid employment? The way TMDSAS describes their category for healthcare it says " Do you have any healthcare related community service, volunteer, employment OR shadowing experience to enter?" I wonder if they really mean for this section to only enter work that was face to face with patients for a majority of the time. When I look at the application guide they give examples and pharmacy is not listed, yet my role is technically healthcare related, I'm just hoping an expert on this forum knows. On AMCAS I don't plan to enter as clinical.

I'm a little confused on entering my pharmacy technician work that was 25-30% patient interaction. Should I enter this job only on paid employment? The way TMDSAS describes their category for healthcare it says " Do you have any healthcare related community service, volunteer, employment OR shadowing experience to enter?" I wonder if they really mean for this section to only enter work that was face to face with patients for a majority of the time. When I look at the application guide they give examples and pharmacy is not listed, yet my role is technically healthcare related, I'm just hoping an expert on this forum knows. On AMCAS I don't plan to enter as clinical.
If you speak to/ counsel customers you can consider this Healthcare related employment.
On the TMDSAS app you are allowed to enter this in either category, or both.
Most activities you can only enter in one place.
If you decide to enter it in both places, focus on all your duties in the Employment part and describe your interactions with customers in the Healthcare related part.

If you speak to/ counsel customers you can consider this Healthcare related employment.
On the TMDSAS app you are allowed to enter this in either category, or both.
Most activities you can only enter in one place.
If you decide to enter it in both places, focus on all your duties in the Employment part and describe your interactions with customers in the Healthcare related part.

I am in a similar boat with a healthcare + employment joint activity. How would I split the hours? Ideally I would like to put all my hours under healthcare, but it might look weird to put 0 hours for employment in that specific activity.

I am in a similar boat with a healthcare + employment joint activity. How would I split the hours? Ideally I would like to put all my hours under healthcare, but it might look weird to put 0 hours for employment in that specific activity.
There are no "bonus points" if you list the job in 2 categories. You could instead just list it under healthcare and mention it was a job/paid position. Not everyone has something to list in every category.

I know the norm is to send out secondaries immediately after primaries are processed. Which Texas schools didn't send out automatically send out secondaries last cycle. Looking at the threads from last year, it seems like UoH doesn't automatically send out secondaries (i.e. screens). Are there any other schools like this? It seems UT RGV doesn't either, but I'm not sure.

I know the norm is to send out secondaries immediately after primaries are processed. Which Texas schools didn't send out automatically send out secondaries last cycle. Looking at the threads from last year, it seems like UoH doesn't automatically send out secondaries (i.e. screens). Are there any other schools like this? It seems UT RGV doesn't either, but I'm not sure.
Dell only sends secondaries to some.
Remember processing time is 2-4 weeks.
Long has no secondary.
UTRGV doesn’t screen, but tends to be inefficient on sending out things.

Dell only sends secondaries to some.
Remember processing time is 2-4 weeks.
Long has no secondary.
UTRGV doesn’t screen, but tends to be inefficient on sending out things.
So to your recollection, Dell and University of Houston are the only schools to screen?

My application has just been transmitted but after looking at my PCR I didnt get 3 semester hours for quarter classes that translated to 3 semester hours what should I do ? like one of my gen chem lectures I took at a quarter system I was only given 2 credit semester hours despite being 4.5 quarter hours.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
My application has just been transmitted but after looking at my PCR I didnt get 3 semester hours for quarter classes that translated to 3 semester hours what should I do ? like one of my gen chem lectures I took at a quarter system I was only given 2 credit semester hours despite being 4.5 quarter hours.
Message & ask about the calculation if this puts you under the total needed for Chem

Message & ask about the calculation if this puts you under the total needed for Chem
Yeah it puts me under that’s why I’m concern and since every online quarter system to semester system calculator states that 4.5 is equal to 3 hours.

Yeah it puts me under that’s why I’m concern and since every online quarter system to semester system calculator states that 4.5 is equal to 3 hours.
Follow up. Do they give fractional values ? Like 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours ? If they don't do this then it will be hard for quarter system folks.

Hi! I have my CASPER scheduled for June 11th, would that make my application late?

Follow up. Do they give fractional values ? Like 4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours ? If they don't do this then it will be hard for quarter system folks.
I had messaged TMDSAS with a similar question, and they said that we should put in the units exactly as they appear in the transcript, but we have to make sure that we have indicated that they are quarter units.

Asking this here since the 22-23 page is locked.
I just got accepted off the waitlist at a school I really like. I have yet to actually get an official onboarding/welcome email, so I have an (irrational) fear that something might go wrong. I know I’m supposed to let my current (also TMDSAS) school know I’m withdrawing, but is it okay if I wait a bit? I know morally I should let them know ASAP, but does my current school need to know in order to do some transferring process with TMDSAS? I hope my question makes sense!

Asking this here since the 22-23 page is locked.
I just got accepted off the waitlist at a school I really like. I have yet to actually get an official onboarding/welcome email, so I have an (irrational) fear that something might go wrong. I know I’m supposed to let my current (also TMDSAS) school know I’m withdrawing, but is it okay if I wait a bit? I know morally I should let them know ASAP, but does my current school need to know in order to do some transferring process with TMDSAS? I hope my question makes sense!
You are allowed to wait a bit to get confirmation from your new school but just let the school you are leaving know as soon as you can

I had messaged TMDSAS with a similar question, and they said that we should put in the units exactly as they appear in the transcript, but we have to make sure that we have indicated that they are quarter units.
Thank you. Did they confirmed that once they converted from 4 quarter hours, the PCR will be calculate as 2.66 semester hours and not 2 semester hours ?

Might be a silly question, but just wondering: Does anyone know why TMDSAS asks about AMCAS information and previous schools you applied to via AMCAS? Are the two separate app services able to exchange information about applicants?

I hope that I won't be at a disadvantage for having applied to 20+ AMCAS schools last cycle and not getting any offers. I didn't realize I qualify as a TX resident under the TMDSAS requirements, which is why I didn't apply TMDSAS last year. Would the fact that I have applied AMCAS previously or am applying AMCAS concurrently, have any effect on my TMDSAS application?

Last edited:
Might be a silly question, but just wondering: Does anyone know why TMDSAS asks about AMCAS information and previous schools you applied to via AMCAS? Are the two separate app services able to exchange information about applicants?

I hope that I won't be at a disadvantage for having applied to 20+ AMCAS schools last cycle and not getting any offers. I didn't realize I qualify as a TX resident under the TMDSAS requirements, which is why I didn't apply TMDSAS last year. Would the fact that I have applied AMCAS previously or am applying AMCAS concurrently, have any effect on my TMDSAS application?
No it should not affect your TX app cycle

• Love
Would we enter Developmental course work, such as Math - 0301, into our courses?

The wording on the guide made me understand it as a no, but AMCAS explicitly requires it, so I wanted to double-check. I also sent a message to TMDSAS, but I think they're a little backed up.

Would we enter Developmental course work, such as Math - 0301, into our courses?

The wording on the guide made me understand it as a no, but AMCAS explicitly requires it, so I wanted to double-check. I also sent a message to TMDSAS, but I think they're a little backed up.
If this math course was a developmental level course (The old-school term was remedial) but it appears on your transcript, you will still enter it into your TMDSAS portal as a course you took in college.

However, developmental courses will:
1. not satisfy the prerequisite (in this case the math prerequisite)
2. not be calculated into your BCPM GPA
3. not appear on your PCR (because they are not a high enough level course to fulfill the prerequisite )

Screen shot from the TMDSAS Guide:

Overview of course types included in the BCPM GPA and/or count towards your prerequisites:​

PCR & BCPM

If this math course was a developmental level course (The old-school term was remedial) but it appears on your transcript, you will still enter it into your TMDSAS portal as a course you took in college.

However, developmental courses will:
1. not satisfy the prerequisite (in this case the math prerequisite)
2. not be calculated into your BCPM GPA
3. not appear on your PCR (because they are not a high enough level course to fulfill the prerequisite )

Screen shot from the TMDSAS Guide:

Overview of course types included in the BCPM GPA and/or count towards your prerequisites:​

PCR & BCPM
Thank you!

I see that graduate courses only have the option for other science and non-science - Do they typically go in and manually assign these to BCPM or non-BCPM during application processing? Graduate BCPM GPA popped up as 0.00.

I see that graduate courses only have the option for other science and non-science - Do they typically go in and manually assign these to BCPM or non-BCPM during application processing? Graduate BCPM GPA popped up as 0.00.
I think so, or the grad GPA may be calculated separately.
Even if it doesn’t get thrown in to the calculation the folks reading your app will be able to see the grades you entered

Hello again, for the activity section, how do I put in lifelong activities? For example, I've done a hobby since I was 4 and did some volunteer work with it from middle school through college - do I put the start date for these activities as June 2018 (the beginning of my college career after high school) and just mention in the description how long I've been doing them?

Just submitted primary last night on 5/19. Question, how soon should we take CASPER?

Sorry, another question - I’ve heard that for LORs “It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences." I took this to mean I would use letters from from two PIs whose labs I worked in, one as undergraduate and one during my gap year. But I’ve heard from some other people that TMDSAS schools want a professor you to took a class with who can speak to your academic ability, not PIs. There is a professor who I took a class who I could potentially ask for a letter from, but it’s been a couple years and I’m not sure if I made enough of an impression to get a good one from her.

Basically, my question is, can I stick with the two “good” letters from my PIs, or should I try to substitute one for a professor that I might get an “ok” letter from? It will also be later since I would need to reach out to her. I’ve also heard letters from doctors you shadowed are not particularly valued by TMDSAS so I could substitute for that one instead. Thanks for any help!

Can I submit letters submitted last year on Interfolio from old professors? I have updated them about my application, but I don't want to bother them again and there is nothing more they can add. I was about to apply last cycle but decided not to.

Last edited:
Can I submit letters submitted last year on Interfolio from old professors? I have updated them about my application, but I don't want to bother them again and there is nothing more they can add. I was about to apply last cycle but decided not to.
If the dates were roughly in the past year they should be acceptable. TMDSAS guide says:

Letters of Evaluation Must Include​

• Official Letterhead - personal or professional letterhead is accepted
  • Contact information of evaluator – telephone number and/or email address
  • Applicant name
  • Letter must be dated – Admissions committees will take the date of the letter into consideration during review, with a strong preference for letters written after May 1, 2022.
  • Letter must be written in English
  • Signature of evaluator
    • Direct Upload: e-signatures will only be accepted when uploading letters through the TMDSAS Evaluator Portal.

Sorry, another question - I’ve heard that for LORs “It is recommended that your evaluators be current/former professors that can speak to your academic ability in the sciences." I took this to mean I would use letters from from two PIs whose labs I worked in, one as undergraduate and one during my gap year. But I’ve heard from some other people that TMDSAS schools want a professor you to took a class with who can speak to your academic ability, not PIs. There is a professor who I took a class who I could potentially ask for a letter from, but it’s been a couple years and I’m not sure if I made enough of an impression to get a good one from her.

Basically, my question is, can I stick with the two “good” letters from my PIs, or should I try to substitute one for a professor that I might get an “ok” letter from? It will also be later since I would need to reach out to her. I’ve also heard letters from doctors you shadowed are not particularly valued by TMDSAS so I could substitute for that one instead. Thanks for any help!
TMDSAS Guide:
Choosing an Evaluator
Evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate them both academically and personally. It is recommended that at least one of your evaluators be a current/former professor who can speak to your academic ability in the sciences.

Were the PIs also professors at your college, even if you did not take a course from them?
It's up to your judgement.

TMDSAS Guide:
Choosing an Evaluator
Evaluators should know an applicant well enough to evaluate them both academically and personally. It is recommended that at least one of your evaluators be a current/former professor who can speak to your academic ability in the sciences.

Were the PIs also professors at your college, even if you did not take a course from them?
It's up to your judgement.
Yes, the first PI when I was an undergrad was a professor at the same university, while the other I currently work for is only associated with the medical center. In addition, in case it counts for anything, I technically took "classes" with him as they are listed on my transcript as "undergrad research" as well as "Topics in MCD bio" (which is actually credit for attending lab meetings)

Also, would you happen to have any thoughts on my previous question (about lifelong hobbies)?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the first PI when I was an undergrad was a professor at the same university, while the other I currently work for is only associated with the medical center. In addition, in case it counts for anything, I technically took "classes" with him as they are listed on my transcript as "undergrad research" as well as "Topics in MCD bio" (which is actually credit for attending lab meetings)

Also, would you happen to have any thoughts on my previous question (about lifelong hobbies)?

Thanks for your help!
On the AMCAS questions thread they say to put 999 or some big number like that for hobbies you’ve done for years.

Guys how do I download a PDF of my application? I watched all of the tutorial but must've missed it. I go to the home page and then where do I click?

Edit: make sure you allow the popups on Google Chrome

Last edited:
Guys how do I download a PDF of my application? I watched all of the tutorial but must've missed it. I go to the home page and then where do I click?
click the blue letters on the homepage where it says like the cycle next to the date it says u submitted if u have already. if u have Mac click on the tab that comes up at the top of the url bar and it opens up the pdf version.

Reactions: 2 users
How is the processing time been for people who have submitted? Just submitted today.

How is the processing time been for people who have submitted? Just submitted today.
it shows on the website what day they on on but from my experience I submitted 12 minutes after they opened submissions and it took me 4 days to get my applications processed.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
it shows on the website what day they on on but from my experience I submitted 12 minutes after they opened submissions and it took me 4 days to get my applications processed.
Have you received any secondaries yet? I saw UTMB changed theirs up and I wanted to know if any others did too.

Have you received any secondaries yet? I saw UTMB changed theirs up and I wanted to know if any others did too.
I think UTMB and UNTHSC/TCOM are the only ones available so far.
If you're applying to TCOM go set up an account and get access to their portal and you will see the essays and short answer questions for this year.
Keep watching the Texas school threads, your fellow applicants are pretty good about sharing the news as soon as they get a secondary.

I just received mine minutes ago from UTMB along with a fee waiver but I was surprised because I take my mcat later in June. The UTMB is also a video secondary so Im not sure how to prepare for that.

Reactions: 1 users
I just received mine minutes ago from UTMB along with a fee waiver but I was surprised because I take my mcat later in June
Although they won't fully evaluate your candidacy until you have an MCAT score (a month from your test date), they could see on your TMDSAS primary that you have an upcoming test date.
A school that sends secondaries to all applicants might have an automated system in place to send out the secondary email when TMDSAS transmits your primary app to them.

I just received mine minutes ago from UTMB along with a fee waiver but I was surprised because I take my mcat later in June. The UTMB is also a video secondary so Im not sure how to prepare for that.
what day did you submit on? also good luck u got this!!! I submitted mine in the afternoon of the 15th so trying to gauge where in the 15th queue they are lol

what day did you submit on? also good luck u got this!!! I submitted mine in the afternoon of the 15th so trying to gauge where in the 15th queue they are lol
From a previous comment, they submitted 12 minutes after submissions opened on the 15th

@wysdoc Sorry, I was reading through past forum comments and I'm confused - what activities can we list in 2 different categories? I think you mention at one point the only activities that can be listed in 2 categories are healthcare and employment, but when someone asks about splitting an activity in 2 categories as a community service leader into leadership and community service, you mention that it's best to estimate the time spent in each duty - same with another person asking about separating an activity into extracurriculars and leadership

I guess why I'm asking is because I'm trying to sort two activities - one which fall under both leadership and community engagement as a coach for an underserved group, and then another where I've been a research assistant which could fall under research or employment. I could put them in 1 category, but I would feel more comfortable writing more and separating my roles to put in 2 categories

As a side question, when are LORs actually due? I was planning on submitting my primary this week, and I guess secondaries around mid-late June, so would the LORs be due then or do they need to be finished and added before submitting my primary?

I appreciate your help again, thanks!

@wysdoc Sorry, I was reading through past forum comments and I'm confused - what activities can we list in 2 different categories? I think you mention at one point the only activities that can be listed in 2 categories are healthcare and employment, but when someone asks about splitting an activity in 2 categories as a community service leader into leadership and community service, you mention that it's best to estimate the time spent in each duty - same with another person asking about separating an activity into extracurriculars and leadership

I guess why I'm asking is because I'm trying to sort two activities - one which fall under both leadership and community engagement as a coach for an underserved group, and then another where I've been a research assistant which could fall under research or employment. I could put them in 1 category, but I would feel more comfortable writing more and separating my roles to put in 2 categories

As a side question, when are LORs actually due? I was planning on submitting my primary this week, and I guess secondaries around mid-late June, so would the LORs be due then or do they need to be finished and added before submitting my primary?

I appreciate your help again, thanks!
Go to the TMDSAS guide and read the rules on activities please. Yeah, I know, that’s like when a professor tells you “it’s in the syllabus.” But it is.
If you still are confused, TMDSAS holds a live help session every week on YouTube in which you can ask questions like this directly to the TMDSAS staff.
You must enter the emails and names of your recommenders on your TMDSAS primary application. The recommenders need to upload their letters by the instructions sent them, unless you are using a document service like Interfolio. Interfolio will forward the letters you have collected when you instruct them.

What does “preliminary review” mean for UTMB ? It said that on an email I received after the secondary email but it says that wording on the another email received stating I got a fee waiver.