*~*~*~* Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We did do volunteering as a group in our community but it was just 1 part of our org. We also had lots of speakers, shadowing, mentorship stuff, etc. Do u suggest putting it under extracurricular then?

Also, I have tutoring under community engagement, is that fine?

Thank u!
I think it falls more under a job category, unless you were tutoring in a homeless shelter or public housing community center as a volunteer thing

Members don't see this ad.

If the credit for AP is given as PHYS 2XXX in the transcript, Can we just enter as it is., or needed to convert to numbers like PHYS 2000 or something ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I had a few questions about the TMDSAS app as an OOS student, and would really appreciate any advice/suggestions.
1. I was wondering what a "normal" or typical number of activities for TMDSAS applicants is. Since the character count is so little and we can add an unlimited number of activities, I was wondering if I should add less significant activities I'm deciding to leave out of my AMCAS app. For example: on-campus clubs that I didn't hold a leadership position for.
2. I'm scheduled to shadow two doctors (around 30 hours) towards the end of the month. Currently my shadowing is low (only 16). Should I prioritize submitting my TX app as soon as possible (assuming everything else is ready), or put off submitting it until the end of May to add these hours?
3. Up until what date would be considered early for an OOS applicant? I know I'm already at a disadvantage with the TX schools since I'm OOS, so I want to make sure my submission date doesn't work against me either

Hi! I had a few questions about the TMDSAS app as an OOS student, and would really appreciate any advice/suggestions.
1. I was wondering what a "normal" or typical number of activities for TMDSAS applicants is. Since the character count is so little and we can add an unlimited number of activities, I was wondering if I should add less significant activities I'm deciding to leave out of my AMCAS app. For example: on-campus clubs that I didn't hold a leadership position for.
2. I'm scheduled to shadow two doctors (around 30 hours) towards the end of the month. Currently my shadowing is low (only 16). Should I prioritize submitting my TX app as soon as possible (assuming everything else is ready), or put off submitting it until the end of May to add these hours?
3. Up until what date would be considered early for an OOS applicant? I know I'm already at a disadvantage with the TX schools since I'm OOS, so I want to make sure my submission date doesn't work against me either
1. activities you didn't care that much about, leave them off
2. Definitely get your shadowing hours up to 40 or 50. Submitting by the end of June or even July is still on time/not late
3. Try for end of June/early July. Your stats and application are more important than the date of submission, but you don't want to wait until August/Sept/October. Unlike college apps when you could turn it in at midnight on the deadline, with med school apps "the deadline isn't really the deadline"

Reactions: 1 user
See if it will take it like that, and if not put 200 or 2000
Thank you wysdoc. One more follow up question. I transferred from one 4 year university ( Univ X ) to another 4 year university ( Univ Y). I have taken AP A, AP B, AP C and AP D. Univ X gave credits for AP A, AP B and AP C in the transcript. Univ Y gave credits for AP C and AP D in the Transcript. Can I list AP A and AP B from Unix X and AP C and AP D from Univ Y in the coursework ? I'll enter each AP credit only once., but choose from different Universities.

I took a break from scribing for about 7 months but resumed at the same location.

1. Should I list it as two separate healthcare activities so this is clear? My total hours account for the time gap, but I don't like seeming dishonest and putting it without the time gap.

2. If I should put it as two separate activities, how should I talk about it in the description if it's the same role?

Thanks so much!

Thank you wysdoc. One more follow up question. I transferred from one 4 year university ( Univ X ) to another 4 year university ( Univ Y). I have taken AP A, AP B, AP C and AP D. Univ X gave credits for AP A, AP B and AP C in the transcript. Univ Y gave credits for AP C and AP D in the Transcript. Can I list AP A and AP B from Unix X and AP C and AP D from Univ Y in the coursework ? I'll enter each AP credit only once., but choose from different Universities.
You have lost me in your alphabet soup.
All AP credits get listed on the TMDSAS app as "Pre-freshman" and do not get attached to a certain university.
Be sure that the AP credits are assigned to a certain class category, though. (bio, math, etc)
Any complicated questions beyond this, message your TMDSAS liaison in the portal and they will help you.

I took a break from scribing for about 7 months but resumed at the same location.

1. Should I list it as two separate healthcare activities so this is clear? My total hours account for the time gap, but I don't like seeming dishonest and putting it without the time gap.

2. If I should put it as two separate activities, how should I talk about it in the description if it's the same role?

Thanks so much!
since TMDSAS doesn't put a limit on number of activities, you can either list it twice or explain the hours in the description. Don't overestimate by accidentally including that gap of 7 months.

since TMDSAS doesn't put a limit on number of activities, you can either list it twice or explain the hours in the description. Don't overestimate by accidentally including that gap of 7 months.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

You have lost me in your alphabet soup.
All AP credits get listed on the TMDSAS app as "Pre-freshman" and do not get attached to a certain university.
Be sure that the AP credits are assigned to a certain class category, though. (bio, math, etc)
Any complicated questions beyond this, message your TMDSAS liaison in the portal and they will help you.
Sorry for the confusion. I moved from one college to another, both with four-year programs. I had four AP courses. The first college gave me credit and equivalent course for AP Phys, AP Chem and AP Bio in the transcript. The second college gave me credit for AP Bio and AP English. Can I include AP Phys and AP Chem from the first college and AP Bio and AP English from the second college in my course list? I'll only mention each advanced course once, but they will have course equivalency from different colleges.

Sorry for the confusion. I moved from one college to another, both with four-year programs. I had four AP courses. The first college gave me credit and equivalent course for AP Phys, AP Chem and AP Bio in the transcript. The second college gave me credit for AP Bio and AP English. Can I include AP Phys and AP Chem from the first college and AP Bio and AP English from the second college in my course list? I'll only mention each advanced course once, but they will have course equivalency from different colleges.
I did understand that.
Your AP courses will be listed as "pre-freshman" and not attached to any college. Because you took those in High School.
You will only claim credit once for ABCD
If this doesn't still make sense to you, please message TMDSAS in your portal to clarify.

I did understand that.
Your AP courses will be listed as "pre-freshman" and not attached to any college. Because you took those in High School.
You will only claim credit once for ABCD
If this doesn't still make sense to you, please message TMDSAS in your portal to clarify.
Thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 800+ scribing hours and ~90 hours at my new full time MA job I started a couple weeks ago when my classes ended.

I'm ready to submit first thing Monday but I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to hold off on submitting for a week or so to report more MA hours (closer to 130). Any thoughts?

How important is it to submit first thing on this Monday when the app opens vs. sometime in May?

So the applicant guide tells us to enter current activities we will continue as ending on October 2023. That being said, do we report current + projected hours for them through October 2023 or only what we have on the day we submit the application?

I have 800+ scribing hours and ~90 hours at my new full time MA job I started a couple weeks ago when my classes ended.

I'm ready to submit first thing Monday but I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to hold off on submitting for a week or so to report more MA hours (closer to 130). Any thoughts?
Up to you, was your scribing virtual or in person?

So in that case I don’t think you need to wait for more hours of MA. You will be estimating the hours between now and Nov 1
In that case my current MA activity hours would be the 90 + the hours I will gain through the application deadline then?

If so, that's something I completely overlooked. Thanks for the insight!

In that case my current MA activity hours would be the 90 + the hours I will gain through the application deadline then?

If so, that's something I completely overlooked. Thanks for the insight!
Yes, read the guide and see what it says about when a “current” activity ends

If I have two different leadership positions within one organization should I lump them together under 1 leadership entry?

Hello again, sorry, I'm a little confused about how to add publications - it says "
Please provide details here. Please include citation (if available), date or publication or presentation, and a short description.*" Does that mean I need to put more than just a citation? I'm not sure what to put in for "short description" - do I need to explain my contributions, or what the paper is about?

For our planned activities, if we are going to continue doing activities we are currently doing beyond October 2023, is it alright to write mostly the same thing? For example, I have been volunteering at a hospital, and I will volunteer at a hospital next year as well, but my roles will not change that much. Do I just write, "I plan to continue doing X, Y, Z, etc.?"

For our planned activities, if we are going to continue doing activities we are currently doing beyond October 2023, is it alright to write mostly the same thing? For example, I have been volunteering at a hospital, and I will volunteer at a hospital next year as well, but my roles will not change that much. Do I just write, "I plan to continue doing X, Y, Z, etc.?"
Try to change it up a little- say you are continuing your work in x and want to learn more about y aspect of it

Hello again, sorry, I'm a little confused about how to add publications - it says "
Please provide details here. Please include citation (if available), date or publication or presentation, and a short description.*" Does that mean I need to put more than just a citation? I'm not sure what to put in for "short description" - do I need to explain my contributions, or what the paper is about?
A one sentence description of the what the paper's about. The place to talk about your contribution/what you gained from the experience is in the Research category. The publications section is just to cite your publications if any, and they need to be already accepted for publication, not just "in progress"

for shadowing that's planned for July 2023 I know that it should be in current activities but how should I approach the description? Should I just write what I hope to gain from it

for shadowing that's planned for July 2023 I know that it should be in current activities but how should I approach the description? Should I just write what I hope to gain from it
Shadowing is shadowing so just mention the setting (outpatient or hospital) and the type of doctor you will be observing.
If it turns out to be a good experience you could later mention it in a secondary essay or interview. Right now you don’t know :)

For activities with a break e.g. was a peer tutor for two fall semesters, but not in between, do we put the same description when we break it up if our role didn't change? or should we put in two different descriptions?

For activities with a break e.g. was a peer tutor for two fall semesters, but not in between, do we put the same description when we break it up if our role didn't change? or should we put in two different descriptions?
Here's what the TMDSAS Guide says:
Splitting your activity between Current or Planned Activity

In some instances, you may have engaged in an activity for short periods of time but over a long time span (e.g., volunteering at a summer camp). You may enter these activities in one of two ways:

1. Enter each instance individually. This is the best option if your role or the activity changed over time. Make sure the description reflects the changes in your role.
  2. Enter once as a single activity. This option may be best if the breaks in the activity were short, such as having a winter break as a peer tutor. Be careful not to overinflate your total hours.
PS all y'all - Read the TMDSAS guide!

Here's what the TMDSAS Guide says:
Splitting your activity between Current or Planned Activity

In some instances, you may have engaged in an activity for short periods of time but over a long time span (e.g., volunteering at a summer camp). You may enter these activities in one of two ways:

1. Enter each instance individually. This is the best option if your role or the activity changed over time. Make sure the description reflects the changes in your role.
  2. Enter once as a single activity. This option may be best if the breaks in the activity were short, such as having a winter break as a peer tutor. Be careful not to overinflate your total hours.
PS all y'all - Read the TMDSAS guide!
I read it, but I am a bit confused given that the break was longer than winter break (8+ months), but my role did NOT change significantly.

For anyone also applying to AMCAS/AACOMAS:

1. Are you changing up your descriptions completely?

2. Adding on to what you already have?

3. Just copy and pasting from TMDSAS onto there?

I was planning on keeping the same personal statement and maybe adding a few extra lines to descriptions.

I was planning on keeping the same personal statement and maybe adding a few extra lines to descriptions.
You can keep your same descriptions if you're happy with them, AMCAS schools don't ever see the TMDSAS app.

A couple of differences though:
1. AMCAS allows a MAX of 15 activities. You might have to group together ones you listed separately for TMDSAS (like shadowing) or even leave off some of your minor activities.
2. The 3 most meaningful activities essays allow you 1325 characters on AMCAS so you might want to expand on those.
3. Both AMCAS and AACOMAS want the transcript at the time of application

im applying AMCAS I submitted my TMDSAS today but for AMCAS im going to do more story telling for my descriptions as ive seen some people do. My personal statement is going to remain the same though and I am also going to have two shorten the amount of activities because I had more than 15 on TMDSAS.

Reactions: 2 users
for the chronology of activities section, what should we change the descriptions to?

for the chronology of activities section, what should we change the descriptions to?
You don't change the descriptions for that.
What the Chronology of Activities does is line everything you have entered into your app into a chronological order.

If your description on every single thing started out with the same words like "As an XYZ my duties were"
Then that will look kind of weird or boring as you look at the little preview on the Chronology of Activities.

But don't worry, when a school reads your app they will see your entire description, not just the first 50 characters that you get a glimpse of on the Chronology

You don't change the descriptions for that.
What the Chronology of Activities does is line everything you have entered into your app into a chronological order.

If your description on every single thing started out with the same words like "As an XYZ my duties were"
Then that will look kind of weird or boring as you look at the little preview on the Chronology of Activities.

But don't worry, when a school reads your app they will see your entire description, not just the first 50 characters that you get a glimpse of on the Chronology
Ok cool! I guess I was just confused bc it says
"If you do not want your description to be truncated, be sure to edit your activity descriptions appropriately after import to fit within 50 characters."

If we graduated from the UNTHSC Med Sci Program, can we still select it under Special Program (Select the Special/Assured Program through which you are applying to TMDSAS:*)? Or is that only for those who are enrolled this fall and applying to medical school?

If we graduated from the UNTHSC Med Sci Program, can we still select it under Special Program (Select the Special/Assured Program through which you are applying to TMDSAS:*)? Or is that only for those who are enrolled this fall and applying to medical school?
A special/ assured program would mean you are guaranteed admission to med school, like one of those BS/MD programs.
Your MS will improve your chances most likely, but I don’t believe this program guarantees a spot?
I recommend asking someone at your program where and how to enter your graduate courses

Out of curiosity, for someone that submitted on 5/15 (day 1), what is the earliest time secondaries would be received, assuming that there's no issues with the primary?

Out of curiosity, for someone that submitted on 5/15 (day 1), what is the earliest time secondaries would be received, assuming that there's no issues with the primary?
For the schools that send secondaries to everyone who sends the primary to them, you could get the secondary email the same week your primary gets transmitted.

Guys the activities section does not have a box to put in contact info for activities. I don't want to use my essay box to add these contact name, email and phone. Can I just not put it entirely and only write my essay?

Guys the activities section does not have a box to put in contact info for activities. I don't want to use my essay box to add these contact name, email and phone. Can I just not put it entirely and only write my essay?
Unlike AMCAS, TMDSAS doesn’t ask for contact info for each activity
So you can use your space for the description and essay

would psychology be other science or non science if its an AP credit

If I haven't started a planned activity yet (and therefore only have a limited amount of things to describe about it), can I use almost identical descriptions for the activity in the current and planned sections? I'll be starting a new job in a month and will continue it past November of this year, as it is a one-year time commitment. I'm just not sure what else I could change about my description since I haven't even started working yet.

If I haven't started a planned activity yet (and therefore only have a limited amount of things to describe about it), can I use almost identical descriptions for the activity in the current and planned sections? I'll be starting a new job in a month and will continue it past November of this year, as it is a one-year time commitment. I'm just not sure what else I could change about my description since I haven't even started working yet.
Just give a brief description of what you will be doing