Official UTHSCSA Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

I've finalized my decision to come to UTHSCSA at last and apartment hunting in SA today has made it super exciting!

I'm curious though...has anyone wondered why our academic year is so darn long? I looked up the calendar for this year, and roughly estimating from the schedule for MS1 and MS2, we get only about a month off for summers after first and second year. That seems like a bummer to me, 'cause it'd be nice to have time off to do research, maybe an internship, or heck, just to play. Any thoughts or know any reasons for it?

Members don't see this ad.

oh yes...I'm in Austin until Tuesday afternoon, so count me in if a get-together goes down!

hey animeita, great news about your decision......i'm sure you are relieved. i can meet up monday night.......who else is up for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
animeita,

welcome to the UTHSCSA thread :D

ive been reading about your UTHSCSA vs Tulane debate and i was hoping you'd join us! i never knew that you could get an MPH from UT-Houston in conjunction with the MD by taking classes while still in SA? that's pretty cool... i actually am finishing up mine now in Houston before beginning school in July... well, crossing my fingers i finish... i guess im taking the longer way to MD/MPH ;)

anyway, see you in June!

I am, of course! Tycho, you in?

Ghost said:
hey animeita, great news about your decision......i'm sure you are relieved. i can meet up monday night.......who else is up for it?

Welcome animeita! Glad to have you with us.

I'd love to meet up in Austin, but work calls. However, I'm up for a Houston or Galveston gathering sometime. Anyone?

pillion said:
Welcome animeita! Glad to have you with us.

I'd love to meet up in Austin, but work calls. However, I'm up for a Houston or Galveston gathering sometime. Anyone?

Whats up pillion, I'm into a Houston meeting. We should get some drinks and celebrate.

medic8m said:
Whats up pillion, I'm into a Houston meeting. We should get some drinks and celebrate.

Anybody work in the Texas Medical Center in Houston? I was thinking we could meet up for lunch in the commons some time...

medic8m said:

My weekends from here until school don't look good. But any night during the week should work. What's your schedule look like? Anyone else in?

Does anybody at there still not have your award letter? I have been calling for the past 3 weeks and they keep telling me that my name is "stuck" in the computer system. They say it is because they have a new system this year... is anybody else hearing the same thing?

And also, does anybody know about the Oak Manor Condos by the medical center... i am thinking about just buying a place instead of renting now but i dont want to have to go hunting for one and the oak manor ones looked really close and pretty cheap.

and you guys have fun at the Austin/ Houston get togethers.

sfgboy said:
Anybody work in the Texas Medical Center in Houston? I was thinking we could meet up for lunch in the commons some time...

I work at the Methodist, Dunn tower. Do you work close by?

Sorry, keekee, tonight isn't good. Actually, this whole week isn't very good. Lots of finals and school stuff to do... :(

I should be free from Sunday on, though.

tycho55 said:
Sorry, keekee, tonight isn't good. Actually, this whole week isn't very good. Lots of finals and school stuff to do... :(

I should be free from Sunday on, though.

Pshaw! You need a study break- come out! :D

Nah, I totally understand, I'm sure there will be some of us around next weekend so we can have another get together then...I have a couple weekends left before I go to Vegas and D.C.... :)

As for tonight's tentative Austin celebration of animeita joining our ranks- where are when are we meeting guys (i.e. Ghost and animeita)? Anyone have any preferences, because I have some ideas if not...

Members don't see this ad :)
keekee said:
..I have a couple weekends left before I go to Vegas and D.C.... :)

DC? When? My wife and I'll will be there from May 28 to June 3rd. What's the occasion?

pillion said:
DC? When? My wife and I'll will be there from May 28 to June 3rd. What's the occasion?

I'll be getting into town as you guys are leaving (June 3rd-8th)! :(

I'm originally from the D.C. area, but the main reason I'm going out there this time is for my 5-year (eek!) college reunion...I haven't been to D.C. in a couple years, so I'm excited...Hopefully, it won't be TOO humid yet for us... ;)

Why are you guys going up there?

medic8m said:
I work at the Methodist, Dunn tower. Do you work close by?

Yeah I work for UT-Houston. I'm usually floating around between the med school, dental branch, and mental sciences institute. Any other TMC day-time residents?

i got my acceptance e-mail today
holla.gif

i'll be joining yall on june 27 - see ya then :D

lane said:
holla.gif

Hey! Congrats! Welcome to the fam... :D

congratulations lane!!
and welcome to SDN animeita :)

lane said:
holla.gif

yay! congrats lane... FINALLY someone i actually met while interviewing will be attending UTHSCSA with me :D

oh yeah, just to warn the rest of you... lane sucks, you definitely dont want to get to know him... hehe j/k ;) :p

Big congrats to Lane and Animeita :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can't wait to meet everyone. Orientation seems like its inching up on us. Although I'm not looking forward to my arm being black and blue from all the shots I've got to make up at registration. Man I hate shots!

:scared:

luckily i got most of that taken care of. was at the doctor's office today so decided to get the stupid varicella titer taken care of today as well. the guy who stuck me was the same one who made my vein blow out when i had blood drawn a couple months ago. he stuck BOTH arms... got nothing... and it hurt like a b*tch with him trying to find my vein. :mad: never had any problems getting blood drawn, in fact i have always been told i have great veins, what the heck! finally had to get the NP to come do it. grrrr!

i hope they dont spring anything else on me at registration...

lilstina said:
:scared:

luckily i got most of that taken care of. was at the doctor's office today so decided to get the stupid varicella titer taken care of today as well. the guy who stuck me was the same one who made my vein blow out when i had blood drawn a couple months ago. he stuck BOTH arms... got nothing... and it hurt like a b*tch with him trying to find my vein. :mad: never had any problems getting blood drawn, in fact i have always been told i have great veins, what the heck! finally had to get the NP to come do it. grrrr!

i hope they dont spring anything else on me at registration...

how vain! Your veins aren't nearly as fly as you think they are. :D

as soon as i saw your name as last poster on the thread above mine i just knew you would have to come in this thread and harass me :rolleyes:

lilstina said:
as soon as i saw your name as last poster on the thread above mine i just knew you would have to come in this thread and harass me :rolleyes:

admit it, you love it.

When are people actually going to move to SA? I was originally thinking of mid-June, but now it looks like the last week in May. Anyone else going that early?

pillion said:
When are people actually going to move to SA? I was originally thinking of mid-June, but now it looks like the last week in May. Anyone else going that early?

I'm moving (Houston to S.A.) Jun 19th. If anybody is also moving that day and would like to split the cost of a rental truck let me know! I'm not moving enough to fill one up (probably half of one).

pillion said:

i'll probably go a few days before the white coat ceremony - my college baseball team still has regionals (and maybe the world series) then i have a vacation planned. it sucks to wait til the last minute but maybe by then yall can tell me where the best place to live will be :D

looks like im going to be moving as late as possible... ive always been one for last minute :D

my apt wont be available until june 25 so ill be moving either that day or june 26. it's gonna be a crazy busy (and probably hellishly hot) weekend...

i envy all you people going earlier who get time to settle in and relax... and not show up to white coat a disorganized mess like i will!

Maybe we can organize a way to help each other move in. I think between the 21st and white coat, I'll probably have some time if anybody needs an extra pairs of arms (small ones, unfortunately).

Of course, if people are still up for a little camping excursion that week, I'll have to work around that.

Hi future friends -

I just found this thread from an internet search and I have learned so much more from you guys than from the med school website (thanks!). I was born/raised in San Antonio (then went to Texas A&M) so if anyone wants general city info or needs a quick tour I would be glad to help. The best website for San Antonio information (news, weather, movies, etc.) is www.mysa.com. The med center is a great area of town but there are other things you have to see here before you leave school and don't forget to experience all the REALLY good food. I have a few questions if anyone has any thoughts:

1) Is it okay to wait until registration to get all those shots? I called around to get a chicken pox titer and they said I need a physician order (an extra $100 or so) which I would like to avoid.

2) Should I keep my part time job through July (only a few hours a week) or is there some intense studying for that month?

3) What does a "typical" week look like for an MS1 (how much time do they really study)?

Okay, sorry so long - better get back to work.

Thanks everyone

Hi RT2004!

I might be able to help a bit.

Even though it said on our immunizations record form to get your shots as soon as possible I'm going to wait till registration and get it all done at once and it seems cheaper. I'm getting the Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis, Varicella (I had the chicken pox when I was like 3 but my childhood doctor lost the record :mad: ), and Tetenus. I don't see why its a big deal, they offer them at registration so why not take them then. And the chicken pox titer is only $32 at registration.

Oh, and here's a schedule for Fall 2003 I found on the UTHSCSA website. I figure our's will be similar.

http://129.111.93.213/scheduling/schedules/fall03/msi/print.pdf

Hope that helps!

JGL9802 said:
I'm still hoping to do some hill country camping.

Great, so at least two of us for sure. Anyone else in? We should try to zero in on an exact date (sometime between 21st and 27th? two nights sound good?) and a place (Enchanted Rock still, or somewhere else?). Once we find out who else is interested, maybe we can make a list and try to assign different people certain items to bring, and sort of collaborate a bit. (unless it's just you and me, JGL, in which case, we'll live off hot dogs for two days!)

argh! i can't decide between medical center apts or carlyle place. carlyle came VERY highly recommended by a certain SDNer ;) but that extra $60 a month adds up. and i'd like to eat. preferably pretty well.

i saw on a site (given earlier in this thread - http://www.geocities.com/sa_med2005/guide/apartments.htm ) that carlyle has two utilities, water (W) and electricity (E). does that mean theyre included in the rent or that you have to pay both? i'm guessing it means you have to pay both (which would suck) although i plan on calling them back in the morning - any answers or suggestions tonight would help me sleep a little better though
happysad.gif

you have to pay them!

you know how i feel ;) but yeah that money does add up. im pretty sure med center would be a nice place to live from what i saw... so i dont think you can really go wrong. too bad you didnt get the chance to see em yourself though... i think your personal feelings make a big difference. did they both have apts available?

good luck!

lilstina said:
you have to pay them!

you know how i feel ;) but yeah that money does add up. im pretty sure med center would be a nice place to live from what i saw... so i dont think you can really go wrong. too bad you didnt get the chance to see em yourself though... i think your personal feelings make a big difference. did they both have apts available?

good luck!

yeah they have a couple at carlyle for $674 and there are a few at med center for $619 (with W/D and a special: $299 for move-in, app fee, and first month rent). i totally agree that i wish i could see both of them, especially since the sites i've found don't give a very complete picture of the complex as a whole.
happysad.gif
i just want to get all of this ironed out asap and i'm not having an easy time doing it.

thanks again for all of your help, christina :) you're the best

damn, they changed their specials, that sucks :(

maybe this will help... carlyle has a website but med center doesnt.

www.venterraliving.com

click on "find your home" and you should see venterra at carlyle place

hehe, there's even an apartmentguide.com coupon for "up to one month's rent free" but it probably wont be any better than whatever they're running already...

Well this is interesting...It seems Baylor's much advertised pass/fail system for the basic science years will be replaced this fall with a H/HP/P/MP/F system, bringing it into accord with the other Texas medical schools. (http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/osa/info_3_2004.pdf)

Just a note... :)

pillion said:

I'm in the same boat as lilstina. I'll be in China (my last vacation in a loooong while ;) ) until June 14th. Then I gotta try and move outta my place out here in Cali in a day or two, and I don't even know when my apartment will be ready and available. Yuck...I hate moving. :(

Hey, guys!

Check your mailboxes again today and tomorrow. All the mandatory orientation goodness you could ever want and more...

Oh, and Jason and pillion- I'm moving to SA in less than 10 days, so I'll be down there early too. Maybe I should start packing, you think?

Will you guys be buying the $50 study guide CD? I'm about to, but was wondering whether it was worth the money or not...

Thanks!

i had the same question... i was intending on buying it as well.

for the girls... what exactly is professional dress (for white coat)? are open toed shoes ok? now that i think about it, seems kinda early to be asking about white coat :oops:

I am getting the CD.... i think i am going to need all the help I can get and I figure the study CD cant hurt. But i mean $50 for a CD that has copies of old tests. I guess the Class of 2007 knows we already got our finaid award letters.

Speaking of... Are you guys planning on taking out the whole $29k? I was just wondering because that seems like a lot more than I will need.

at first i thought i wouldnt need to either, because it seems like a lot. but then i did a rough estimate adding up all my costs and it actually was pretty close, which is scary. so i think i will be taking the whole thing out, as much as i dont want to.

but yeah, if you estimate your costs and it doesnt seem like you'll need the full $29K, definitely no reason to take it all out.

not to make a shameless plug for my class, but the "Study CD" that i bought last year when i was an incoming MS1 has been WAY worth the $$.......just my $.02. :rolleyes:

Hi Everybody!

I was driving home to Houston from college in Virginia when Dean Jones called me on my cell phone to inform me that he has a spot for me at San Antonio! I am so excited to be given the opportunity. The only problem is that until this time I had been prepping to go to Texas Tech, and had everything short of an apartment sorted out for that. Now I have a week to decide whether to take the San Antonio acceptance, but I'm worried I may be too late on several things, including Big Siblings, Apartments, information packets, financial aid, etc. I'm going to try and fly by San Antonio on Wednesday to see if I can check out for any apartments left.

Any words of advice in this upcoming whilwind week? And are there any women looking for a roomate?

~Abbiequeen :)

Abbiequeen,

While I interviewed at Texas Tech and enjoyed their program, I would DEFINITELY choose San Antonio. (Of course, it being my first choice, I guess I'm a little biased. :) ) The school is great, the city is certainly better than Lubbock, and most of all, the people I've met have been truly wonderful.

You've still got well over a month before orientation, and while things will be rushed, they're certainly doable. I'm a reapplicant, and I would've dropped everything in a heartbeat if I were offered admission to SA the day before classes began last year. And from the people I've met so far, it looks like our Class of 2008 will be one of the best. :)

Good luck in your decision!

-- Carlos

abbiequeen said:
Hi Everybody!

I was driving home to Houston from college in Virginia when Dean Jones called me on my cell phone to inform me that he has a spot for me at San Antonio! I am so excited to be given the opportunity. The only problem is that until this time I had been prepping to go to Texas Tech, and had everything short of an apartment sorted out for that. Now I have a week to decide whether to take the San Antonio acceptance, but I'm worried I may be too late on several things, including Big Siblings, Apartments, information packets, financial aid, etc. I'm going to try and fly by San Antonio on Wednesday to see if I can check out for any apartments left.

Any words of advice in this upcoming whilwind week? And are there any women looking for a roomate?

~Abbiequeen :)

hey abbiequeen, congrats, that is great news! as far as apartments, i spent the past week in san antonio looking around, and there are plenty still available. virtually all the complexes still have 1/1's available, except for the Vintage. you can still sign up for big sibs, i think until june 1. we just got that form a couple of weeks ago. as for financial aid, i guess you should talk to the school about that. congrats again!

abbiequeen,

congrats on getting off the waitlist! :) like others have mentioned, i dont think it is too late to get all your stuff in order to choose UTHSCSA. i know people who just recently got their apartments, so definitely stuff left. i havent even turned in my white coat or big sib form yet, since it's not due til june 1 like someone mentioned. i would just get on the office to send you everything ASAP. as for fin aid, i dont know anything about that, but contact the office and see what they say. as for roommates, the office of student services keeps a list of people looking for roommates so you can contact them to get a copy of that.

good luck making your decision, it would be great to have you join the c/o 2008 :)