Official UTHSCSA Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
holla.gif
congrats, abbiequeen! i just got off the waitlist last tuesday - they're going to send you a letter with one of those corny "check one of the following: []Yes, I will attend [] No, I won't" (they remind me of one of those letters little kids pass..."Do you like me? []Yes []No") anyway, you only have like 3 days to get it and send it back in. im guessing once they get that they'll send finaid info and more stuff about everything.

there are definitely apartments available, some cheaper than others, so just look around and see what you like. i'll be at carlyle place next year - jennifer (the lady on the other end of the phone) is very nice and helpful - and it seems that it's the best overall mixture of price and quality. medical center apartments are the least expensive but don't seem quite as nice. go see for yourself, though :)

best of luck with your decision (especially since they dont give you much time to decide) and hopefully we'll see ya in SA in a few weeks :D

Members don't see this ad.

ps. e-mail [email protected] if you want to be in the big sibs program :) Her name is Julie Rowe and she's an MS1 - she too seems really sweet and you can tell her if you want to be paired with someone going into a specialty of your interest or someone from your undergrad college. best of luck :)

Congrats, Abbiequeen!

I think everyone is right- you have plenty of time. Financial aid is the only thing that might be tricky, but I'm sure the office knows how to get it squared away for you quickly. And you'll be totally fine as far as apartments go. A whole bunch of us are moving down there in the next week, so if you need any help with anything before you get here, just ask! We're a very helpful bunch!

This is of course assuming you will come to San Antonio--- which you should! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, here is a question from my being a late acceptance:

Does UTHSCSA require a laptop like Tech does? If so, do they send out computer specifications from which to purchase the machine? Can you purchase the computer through the school or through a company that offers a discount?

I'm probably going to get a lot of my questions answered when I get my packet of info.....whenever that will be.....but I thought I'd ask now.

Also, what all is in the info packets that I should know about?

Thanks!

~Abbiequeen :)

abbiequeen said:
Okay, here is a question from my being a late acceptance:

Does UTHSCSA require a laptop like Tech does? If so, do they send out computer specifications from which to purchase the machine? Can you purchase the computer through the school or through a company that offers a discount?

I'm probably going to get a lot of my questions answered when I get my packet of info.....whenever that will be.....but I thought I'd ask now.

Also, what all is in the info packets that I should know about?

Thanks!

There's no requirement to purchase a laptop at all, although I can say I personally will be getting a laptop just for convienence sake and the fact that my desktop is a ancient dinosaur that will die very soon. Histo lab is done largely from a CD-ROM from my understanding. So I think you can stick with what you've got if you're happy with it.

As for packets of info, all you need to do is first complete your immunizations and turn that form in, send in final transcripts, order the correct size for your white coat, sign up for a big sib, order T-shirts if you want them, give the registrar a change of address when you know what your new address will be, fill out a roomate card if you want to be on the roomate list, and of course the financial aid stuff which is pretty typical (award acceptance and master promissory notes). Am I missing anything?

The only other thing is the orientation schedule which they sent out last week. I can scan and send that to you if you want to see it. They also gave us a temporary parking permit in case you don't get a regular parking permit before registration.

I think that's it...

Hey abbiequeen!

Fortunately, UTHSCSA doesn't require a computer. I think it's total crap that schools necessitate the purchase of a particular computer. My girlfriend just found out she has to buy a $2000+ G4 PowerBook. Boo. :(

As for what we've gotten in the mail. We got a list of immunizations we need to get and a sheet your doctor has to sign saying which you have and which you don't. We got a booklet of info on tuition and fees, white coat size and ceremony information, BigSib signup, financial aid award for those who filled out the FAFSA, the first week orientation/registration schedule, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Don't worry, you've got plenty of time... :)

-- Carlos

P.S. Whoops, keekee just beat me to it. Damn you, keekee! :)

tycho55 said:
Hey abbiequeen!

Fortunately, UTHSCSA doesn't require a computer. I think it's total crap that schools necessitate the purchase of a particular computer. My girlfriend just found out she has to buy a $2000+ G4 PowerBook. Boo. :(

As for what we've gotten in the mail. We got a list of immunizations we need to get and a sheet your doctor has to sign saying which you have and which you don't. We got a booklet of info on tuition and fees, white coat size and ceremony information, BigSib signup, financial aid award for those who filled out the FAFSA, the first week orientation/registration schedule, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Don't worry, you've got plenty of time... :)

-- Carlos

P.S. Whoops, keekee just beat me to it. Damn you, keekee! :)

Muahahaha! I am the queen of the quick response... :D

I really feel for your girlfriend....I mean I'm sure Apple comps are really cool, and I hear the G4 is a sweet computer, but I would totally not be down with having to spend $2000 for a new laptop that I didn't get to choose and runs on an operating system completely different from what I'm used to. IBM people just can't up and switch to Apple- it's like a natural law of the techie universe or something...

On that note, is anyone else getting an IBM Thinkpad laptop?

An excuse to buy a G4? I would take it...

I was curious how they are handling the Harlingen thing this year. I thought it was going to be included in the match process, but it wasn't. Any news?

Last edited:
keekee said:
On that note, is anyone else getting an IBM Thinkpad laptop?

I'm thinking about getting a T41p. I have A30 right now and love it, but gotta give it back to my prof after I finish research.

I'm not going to UT-San Antonio, but I was curious how they are handling the Harlingen thing this year. I thought it was going to be included in the match process, but it wasn't. Any news?

Many of us got a letter late last year from Dean Jones. Harlingen was not in the match, and no students will be forced to go this coming year (no lottery). Guess they're certain that the slots will fill.

During the interview, I got the impression that the Harlingen students loved their 3rd year on the border (more procedures, autonomy), but they felt a need to return to San Antonio to get weightier recommendations and specialty rotations during the 4th yr. They all raved about the psychiatry attending and the general surgery attending in Harlingen.

I have a wife and kids and so am reluctant to move them twice during school. But if my circumstances were different, I would go.

Congratulations to all the the people who just got accepted!

tycho55 said:
Will you guys be buying the $50 study guide CD? I'm about to, but was wondering whether it was worth the money or not...

Thanks!

I, frankly, would have had trouble passing some of the classes without it. Besides including all the tests, each course includes study guides (compiled charts, summaries, practice questions...)compiled by prior students that cuts down on studying time immensley and saves you when you have to cram some material the night before...

Thanks, everyone, for the advice on the study CD. Just sent my $50 in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everybody,

i just got my MPN from the financial aid office. the cover letter says i have to fill on items 10, 12 , and 16, but item 12 was already filled in for me. item 12 says "i want to pay unsubsidized interest while i am in school." i don't really want to do this if i don't have to. i was just wondering if this box was also checked on your MPN's. i used T.H.E., if that makes a dif. thanks, ghost

Ghost said:
hey everybody,

i just got my MPN from the financial aid office. the cover letter says i have to fill on items 10, 12 , and 16, but item 12 was already filled in for me. item 12 says "i want to pay unsubsidized interest while i am in school." i don't really want to do this if i don't have to. i was just wondering if this box was also checked on your MPN's. i used T.H.E., if that makes a dif. thanks, ghost

The same box was checked on mine too! But when I got the Master Promissory stuff from T.H.E., the same box was unchecked, so now I'm confused....

keekee said:
The same box was checked on mine too! But when I got the Master Promissory stuff from T.H.E., the same box was unchecked, so now I'm confused....

If you don't want to pay the interest during school, just cross it out. But call the financial aid office just to be sure.

keekee said:

i just called the school and the lady said the box is checked b/c that is the default for the form. if we don't want to pay it, she said cross it out and write we don't want to pay it and initial it. right now, she said the interest rate is 2.82 (but it will go up on july 1), so that means paying around $500/yr in interest. she said most students don't pay it while in school. and since T.H.E. doesn't capitalize interest until repayment, i don't think it will make a dif.

edit: i edited this post. my original calc. was mistakenly based on total financial aid i/o just the unsubsidized portion. this figure is more accurate.

Ghost said:
i just called the school and the lady said the box is checked b/c that is the default for the form. if we don't want to pay it, she said cross it out and write we don't want to pay it and initial it. right now, she said the interest rate is 2.82 (but it will go up on july 1), so that means paying over $800/yr in interest. she said most students don't pay it while in school. and since T.H.E. doesn't capitalize interest until repayment, i don't think it will make a dif.

Thanks, Ghost!

The people on this thread are the best. I can't wait to start school with y'all this summer.

I decided to just pay it as I go. I wonder if I can change it later when I realize all I have to eat is hot dogs and orange juice...

pillion said:
I decided to just pay it as I go. I wonder if I can change it later when I realize all I have to eat is hot dogs and orange juice...

Hee hee.

While on the interview trail I heard the same story from a number of students-- The formaldeyde in the anatomy lab makes you crave food. Keep that hunger under control while dissecting!

Hi, I'm also living at Carlyle Apts I move in the beginning of June. I got the larger 1 bedroom apartment. I'm glad to know I'm not the only student there. So you know of anyone else living there?

Hey guys!

I just moved in yesterday - and am already thoroughly lost in San Antonio. :oops:

I've got some bad news, though. I went to go pick up my parking permit, and it seems the only stuff left is Zone V (Lot 17), which is way out in the middle of nowhere and you have to take a shuttle to class. Or, you can opt for the top level of the parking garage, which is like over $300. And the waiting list for a decent parking area is 6 months to one year. Sucks.

Just a heads up. :)

ctracey - i will be living in carlyle, and so will another user on this thread, as far as i know. see you in june!

tycho - sorry to hear about the parking... i called last week and they were almost gone so i took a day off work and drove the 3+ hrs to and from SA just for that damn permit. but at least i got my ID card taken care of as well before orientation. i didnt know they had any of the zone 1 parking left... i thought that was all on wait list as well. i also have no sense of direction, so im really worried about never finding my way around SA. course it didnt help that i got lost on my way there :oops:

if you guys havent gotten it yet, stuff is in the mail about CIC. i have the mostly complete match info for this year's class if anyone is interested, so i'll post some about that soon.

tycho55 said:
Hey guys!

I just moved in yesterday - and am already thoroughly lost in San Antonio. :oops:

I've got some bad news, though. I went to go pick up my parking permit, and it seems the only stuff left is Zone V (Lot 17), which is way out in the middle of nowhere and you have to take a shuttle to class. Or, you can opt for the top level of the parking garage, which is like over $300. And the waiting list for a decent parking area is 6 months to one year. Sucks.

Just a heads up. :)
yeah i hear its really annoying to have to drive into sa during the week when im sure a lot people are busy just to sign up for the closer parking.

but it must be cool to have moved in so you can explore the city :D

Hi everybody!

I got my apartment lease last week at the San Antonio Station, right across from school. I foresaw that parking problem and so am just going to bike to school. Moving in June 12th since I'm nannying all of June until the week before school. I'm taking stuff over as I have days off.

I'd like to get together that week before if anybody else is interested!

By the way....are we Longhorns since the color burnt orange seems to be ubiquitous? or are we unmascotted?

When you feel like the parking stinks there, just talk to someone in Houston. Or better yet, PM me and I will tell you what parking costs in NYC A MONTH! :D (on average 400/mo!)

Someone go eat at Tomatillos and at Naples for me. Please.

and I will be in San Antonio in Sept for vacation! Yay!!

can someone find manu ginobilli for me to console?????????? :D

Hey Guys,

Just some info if you are interested that I thought I would pass along:

1) If you are interested in satellite television (cheaper than cable in SA), if you go with Dish Network, find someone else who has it and ask them for a referral card. You will not have to pay the $49.99 downpayment yet you will still get a $49.99 credit on your first bill. Dish Network also offers a free DVR (record shows while studying) - no I am not a Dish representative, but I thought it could be helpful. Directv offers a DVR for $99 but it's not as nice as the free one from Dish Network.

2) High speed internet is $26.95/mo through SBC Yahoo DSL if you have a one year contract and $29.99/mo through Roadrunner - both of these are special offers right now. A basic phone line with no caller ID, etc. is about $18 a month through SBC.

3) The color of UTHSCSA stuff is not supposed to look burnt orange but bright orange. They don't have a mascot since there are no official sports teams, but the campus generally throws support to UTSA, a university with about 25k students and they will get a football team soon. UTSA is pretty close to the med center, located at IH10 and 1604. Their mascot is the Roadrunner.

4) If you are lost in SA, there are two huge loops around the city. The inner loop is called 410 and the outer loop is called 1604. Following one all the way around (which I do not recommend) will get you back to the same place. If you take IH 10E from the northwest side, it goes through downtown, then out east towards Houston. IH 35N travels from the southwest side, through downtown, then out northeast to Austin. US 281 splits the city in half, coming up from Corpus (then called IH37N), through downtown, past the airport and straight up to the nice outskirts north of San Antonio. I know you could probably gather this all from a map, but having lived here that is a rough summary of the highways. San Antonio is layed out really well for a big city, meaning if there is an accident there are several major other highways you can take to get to the same place.

5) If you are bored, take Huebner to the east side of IH10, there you will find Huebner Oaks shopping center, they have a nice movie theater and just about every store you can imagine. If you are just starting to eat Mexican food, I recommend Alamo Cafe, on the IH10 access road north of Wurzbach. If you are a Mexican food pro - check out Mamacita's (IH10 access road, past Medical dr.)

I live in SA right now and will move to Hyperion (on Floyd Curl) next weekend, if anyone wants to grab a margarita let me know and I can tell you all about San Antonio but nothing about the medical school.

Sorry about the novel but hope it helps!

I just moved in yesterday too!

I'm living at The Vintage...

I loved the CIC mailing. Especially the "these instruments are expensive and the cost can create a certain amount of anxiety" part that you read right before you go to the next page and see those list prices...

JGL9802 and are going to dinner tonight if anyone wishes to join us...

yeah, that "disclaimer" was pretty intimidating. i dont even know if we're supposed to get all those things... a graduating student told me we dont even need all that stuff. wait and see i guess.

all you people in SA already... ill be asking you where everything is when i finally get there ;)

Does anybody know what the bus system is like? Since I'm at the Carlyle which is only like a mile away from campus I was going to walk to class and if it was raining or I didn't feel like walking I was thinking about just taking the bus. Their website said it would only take me like 12 minutes to get there!

On another note, I'm SLOWLY packing up my stuff to move back to Texas next week. Sadly, I have to leave behind my boyfriend of 1.5 years. Does anyone else have to deal with long distance relationships starting this summer?

Go Chachos!

(Ha ha, beat you!) :)

As for walking, I dunno if you're gonna want to walk a mile in 100+ degree weather. I'd probably pass out...

Hey, abbiequeen, glad you picked San Antonio! See you soon!

jberg4 said:
Does anybody know what the bus system is like? Since I'm at the Carlyle which is only like a mile away from campus I was going to walk to class and if it was raining or I didn't feel like walking I was thinking about just taking the bus. Their website said it would only take me like 12 minutes to get there!

On another note, I'm SLOWLY packing up my stuff to move back to Texas next week. Sadly, I have to leave behind my boyfriend of 1.5 years. Does anyone else have to deal with long distance relationships starting this summer?

i've heard that walking from carlyle isnt so easy because there's no sidewalk on babcock...i may suck it up and buy a decent (read: expensive) parking pass and run my own taxi service from carlyle to campus and back :D

i have a gf of 3.5 years
happysad.gif
and we're gonna try to keep things going. she's gonna be a traveling consultant for her sorority so hopefully she'll be able to fly into SA a decent amount...but i dont anticipate an easy year :oops: maybe we can start some sort of sappy support group :D

Well it looks like the walking idea is nixed. I still need to get excercise though!! I would love to join an adult soccer league but my brother, who is also in medicine, says I won't have time. And then I was thinking Yoga would be cool because it provides major stress relief and toning! I guess figure out what excercise will fit when I get adjusted to the work load.

maybe we can start some sort of sappy support group
Sounds good! I'm notriously bad at long-distance relationships but I think this one's different and worth keeping. I need all the help I can get.

And they were poor, so no plane trips, only phone calls and letters
That would drive me insane. I'm budgeting a trip every other month. I figure the extra debt will be worth it.

He also said he did little else but study between 6am and 11pm
Wow, sounds like fun! :rolleyes: But I bet studying a lot will keep distracted from the separation. Hopefully not vice-versa.

supbabies.

i just finished my first year at UTHSCSA. lots of fun, and prepare to get your ass kicked. it's rough but definitely do-able. if you kids have any questions about anything at all, PM me or IM me (Pickle Salt). Just a little about me: i'm 23, a chick, single (hot damn), i love music (euro-rock, indie, and the like), painting, traveling, having fun, etc, blah, yada. can't wait to meet (and corrupt) you guys next year.

*high five*
diane

Pickle Salt said:
supbabies.

i just finished my first year at UTHSCSA. lots of fun, and prepare to get your ass kicked. it's rough but definitely do-able. if you kids have any questions about anything at all, PM me or IM me (Pickle Salt). Just a little about me: i'm 23, a chick, single (hot damn), i love music (euro-rock, indie, and the like), painting, traveling, having fun, etc, blah, yada. can't wait to meet (and corrupt) you guys next year.

*high five*
diane

what's this about corrupting us?
naughty.gif

oh-so-innocently :D

when my classmates and i started at UTHSCSA a year ago, i noticed quite a few stressed-out, baggy-eyed, miserable students around me. and that was only in the first week of basic sciences. granted, i didn't know much about how much i would have to study to get the grades i wanted, but i knew it wasn't worth everyone being so stressed. so i began corrupting as many people as i could to come out with me, paint the town red, and make friends with each other. i have a feeling every class starts out a little stressed.

You guys will probably study your butts off for CIC, like we all did, and then in retrospect you'll realize you should have spent those 6 weeks meeting people and learning about the city. the real stuff happens in august, and when it does, don't let it overwhelm you. dont freak out. 99% of the people before you got through it, and you will too.

hell if i can get through it, anyone can. :smuggrin:

*snicker* fools. Of course, I think they still terrify the incoming students with the escapades of my class, given that we were the very first to partake in CIC month. And yes there was much partaking of alcohol and parties... *wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhheeeee!*

And we all did just fine!

lane said:
i've heard that walking from carlyle isnt so easy because there's no sidewalk on babcock...i may suck it up and buy a decent (read: expensive) parking pass and run my own taxi service from carlyle to campus and back :D

i have a gf of 3.5 years
happysad.gif
and we're gonna try to keep things going. she's gonna be a traveling consultant for her sorority so hopefully she'll be able to fly into SA a decent amount...but i dont anticipate an easy year :oops: maybe we can start some sort of sappy support group :D

I was also thinking about walking, but then saw the lack of sidewalk. I was thinking of getting a parking permit and a bike permit to get excercise. I am hoping to drive when I'm late or it's bad weather, but we'll see how long that holds up. I may need to contact your taxi service :laugh:

i'm totally curtsy-ing right now

Honestly, distance is one of the major reasons I picked San Anotnio Station apartments. I can get a guard from the HSC to walk me home at night if I feel I need the security. Otherwise I'll bike.

Are y'all spending the money for high speed internet? Cable in SA is literally $20 more each month than it is in Houston....so I'm not sure I can shell out the money for the high speed Roadrunner right now. My family still subscribes to AOL and since we use AOL Broadband in Houston, we can have mulitple screenames online at once. I think I'm just going to try it out with dial up initally (since we have high speed at school) and if it's a pain upgrade later. I'm not sure I can do without the cable tv b/c I need some chill out mechanism!

My inital move in day is the 12th of June but since I'll be nannying all though June in Houston, I'll be back and forth until the wed before white coat when I expect to move for the last time.

Despite the fact that I visited the Registrar's office last week and informed them otherwise, they still manage to send all of my mail to Richmond, VA (where I went to college)--I'm like a week behind everybody else on mailings (including finanical aid info which is touring the US via US Postal service right now.)

Happy Memorial Day, everybody!

hmm... i think it's odd that SA station seems to be very close to the school yet i don't remember seeing it when i went to apt hunt in SA?

i'm definitely getting cable modem. now that i've had it, no way i can go back to dial up. it's the same price for me as it is in houston... but then again im just getting the cable modem and not the cable. i can easily live without cable tv, but no way without the high speed internet. glad you decided to come to UTHSCSA abbiequeen :)

i already got my parking permit and since im pretty much guaranteed to be late in the mornings, im definitely going to be driving. if you get something better than zone IV lane, i just might be knocking on your door in the mornings... :p

Pickle Salt said:
i'm totally curtsy-ing right now

scratches a befuddled, sinus clogged and drug laden head.....

lilstina- *gasp* no cable. You do realize that you are dooming yourself to probably only one channel on tv? Reception in san antonio is notoriously horrible, especially around the medical center! Of course, the first few months I didn't have cable and managed to watch a lot of Buffy, given that all I could get was WB. Course, first year was alot of, erm, okay, neveRmind.... :D

roja, if you're an emergency med intern, how do you have so much time to be on here?

Hey listina! I thought you had to get at least basic cable tv to use cable modem service. I've got RR and TimeWarner said we must get cable tv service along with the cable modem. Damn TimeWarner.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on what to do regarding diagnostic sets? They've told us to wait until the first day of class, because apparently there's supposed to be some sale, but they're not being very specific. Does everyone really buy their own set, or do people share? For example, looking at allheart.com, I can get a Welch-Allyn 97200-C shipped for $407, but the same 97200-C at the UTHSCSA bookstore after tax is $444. Also, allheart.com has a Littman Cardiology III for $128 total, while it's $163 after tax at the bookstore.

Any recommendations? I'm kinda getting worried, cause the CIC instructor said we need this stuff by the end of the first week, and if I'm going to buy over the internet, I need to factor in time for shipping and such. Thanks guys, you're the best!

-- Carlos

tycho, i dont know about that having to have cable deal. i've got earthlink cable modem at my apt here and time warner is the provider and i definitely didn't have to get cable along with it. and i've already signed up for earthlink again at my SA apt thru time warner and no requirement for cable tv there either.

about the diag sets... ive been told by a student that we really don't need all that stuff so i'm not sure. i was pretty much just going to get a stethoscope before school and then see about the rest. anybody else have any ideas?

and roja... about tv. ok, this is extremely ghetto... but what i did here was have an actual antenna set up in my apt. yeah... what can i say? im cheap :oops: but i did get all the major network tv channels so it worked for me. i guess i'll be trying the same thing in SA...

Pickle Salt Why do you think I chose EM? :D (okay, it wasn't the only reason, but lifestyle even during residency, certainly did play a part.) I was part of a very large 'life-style' class. :D

lilstina hmm, well, good luck with that. I had an antennae with foil and everything it never worked in san antonio. something about all the hills and limestone... gets in the way or something.. but you will have to let me know how it works......

oh, but roja, was it one of those antennas you normally put on your roof? im not talking about the little ones that you sit on top of your tv. yes... all my friends thought it was a coatrack or something. :oops: well, we'll see how it fares with the hills and limestone of SA... if not, that price JGL mentioned for time warner cable doesnt seem too bad. the expenses just keep adding up...

lilstina- trust me, at some point you will have an epiphany. Whats forty/mo when you are amassing 150,000 in school loans. Get the tv. Its worth the stress release.. :D

roja said:
lilstina- trust me, at some point you will have an epiphany. Whats forty/mo when you are amassing 150,000 in school loans. Get the tv. Its worth the stress release.. :D
I agree.... i cant live with out the cable TV and TiVo. $40/month or me going insane. Im getting the cable... speaking of... back to Timberwolfs vs. Lakers. Go T-wolfs!