Official UTHSCSA Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone considered MedLoans through AAMC?

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but I think they take out the first 5K immediately, so the Dec 22 installment date refers to the second 5K that is still owed. That way, they don't take out 10K from the meesly 15K they give you at registration, leaving you with a meeslier 5K for the semester. Instead, you have about 10K to play with each semester.

medic8m said:
Has anyone considered MedLoans through AAMC?
arent they run by sallie mae?
isnt sallie mae the people trying to get rid of fixed rates for us grad students?

but regardless...i was wondering the same thing as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
hillofbeans said:
Every lender offers repayment specials, but who knows what will happen in 4 or 8 years. The repayment breaks will surely change by then. Also, there's a good chance the loans could be sold to someone else while we're in school.

My main criterion is someone without origination or guarantee fees. 4% of 30k is 1200. That's $1200 sucked out of your check even before the school takes out tuition.

I've called up a few of these banks who say, "We have to charge you a 3% origination fee and a 1% fee because the federal government dictates that to us."

$&^%$!

I did a quick internet search and found some lenders on the list with no origination or guarantee fees.

Acapita
AccessGroup
Citibank
Medfunds
Total Higher Education

I'm leaning towards Total Higher Education. The calculator on their site is quite convincing.

I am considering using T.H.E. as well. What are the major differences between them and Medfunds though I wonder? It's hard to decide. Anybody know of a good thread where they've talked about this?

I think I'll be going to SA on Monday and coming back Tuesday in order to take care of a few things. Anyone from our class wanna go?

pillion said:
I think I'll be going to SA on Monday and coming back Tuesday in order to take care of a few things. Anyone from our class wanna go?

I have to go take care of some apartment stuff down there tomorrow, but I also want to go back and drop off all my paperwork stuff (which I'm still collecting) at the school on Monday (which is surprisingly cheaper with my good mileage car than mailing it with tracking). So I'll let ya know!

keekee said:
Anybody know of a good thread where they've talked about this?

The financial aid forum has a few threads open on this topic right now.

Well... i am officially not going to be homeless in San Antonio. Just got a place at Turtle Creek. It is 778 sq. ft. for $565/month. Its alright. Feels like I looked at 5 billion places though. And i am totally dreading moving all my $hi+

And is anybody planning on buying a new computer for school?

AHHH. TGIF fo sheezy

late.
dUStin

Glad you guys are finding places. Like I said, you guys might like Sunset Ridge in Alamo hieghts. Its a great place.

And nope, I am not jealous.

Hey everyone!

Okay, this is more about TMDSAS than it is UTHSCSA, but I thought you guys might have some insight.

I'm taking classes this Spring at UT Austin and obviously these grades weren't included in my TMDSAS application because they don't exist yet. I got the letter from UTHSCSA a few weeks ago stating that they need transcripts of all college work before I matriculate. So I'll be sending a UT Austin transcript with my Spring grades to UTHSCSA in a few weeks.

My question is, why does TMDSAS need a transcript as well? I've already been accepted, why does TMDSAS care anymore? On their website, they state, "TMDSAS needs to have an updated official transcript in order to update your courses, grades and GPA...This is critical so that you are not in jeopardy of losing your offer of admission." Again, why are they even involved anymore? Can I save myself the $10 and only send my Spring transcript to UTHSCSA?

Thanks!

-- Carlos

Good question... After the match, TMDSAS is no longer part of the picture. I don't think it matters if you don't keep TMDSAS updated with your grades. The med school you are accepted to (in your case, UTHSCSA) is the place that you need to keep updated with official / updated transcripts. But hey, it's only 10 bucks.

sfgm112 said:
Good question... After the match, TMDSAS is no longer part of the picture. I don't think it matters if you don't keep TMDSAS updated with your grades. The med school you are accepted to (in your case, UTHSCSA) is the place that you need to keep updated with official / updated transcripts. But hey, it's only 10 bucks.

I agree, send them to the Office of Student Services-Medical

I received the same letter on March 18.

Hey, guys!

Be sure to check your mail today and tomorrow for a new packet full of white coat ceremony, T-shirts, website, big sib, and study CD stuff!

It has begun...

Members don't see this ad :)
JGL9802 said:
All I got in the mail today was a sears flyer! Well, men?s cotton Ts are on sale.
maybe it's a sign to stock up :laugh:

i got the ever frequent jcrew catalog, a couple of magazines, some credit card solicitations, and a ton of supermarket circulars.

ah well, hopefully tomorrow.

i got my financial aid package last week, and along with it came the list of banks that UTHSCSA has our aid funds deposited to... Which banks are you guys leaning towards, and what is the basis of your decision? lower origination fees, etc?

by the way, has anyone gotten that stuff keekee was talking about?

sfgm112 said:
i got my financial aid package last week, and along with it came the list of banks that UTHSCSA has our aid funds deposited to... Which banks are you guys leaning towards, and what is the basis of your decision? lower origination fees, etc?

I went with Bank of America simply because that's the bank I use, but in retrospect, I should've investigated it more... oh well. As for mail, I can't wait to redeem my coupon for a free dental check-up!

sfgm112 said:

after looking up some stuff on the internet (only a little cuz im lazy :p) and reading some of the threads in the financial aid forum, i went with T.H.E.

everyone who has posted about them seems pretty happy with it. no origination or guarantor fees, and im not sure if they have any special incentives for repayment, but it seems like i'll probably end up consolidating my loans anyway which apparently means youre taking out a totally new loan with new terms so the original repayment incentives arent even applicable anymore.

and i just got my packet today with the info that keekee mentioned. now just to decide what size jacket to order... hmm... i wonder how much room needs to be allotted for "oversize clothing"...

sfgm112 said:

I decided to go with T.H.E. instead of my own bank (Bank of America). Apparently a lot of medical students go with them. No orgination fees, which I think ultimately is the best way to go rather than hope for promises of a reduction in the interest rates later on or special deals during repayment, etc. etc., which may or may not actually happen in the end.

Also, I went to drop off those financial aid papers yesterday down at the financial aid office, and they gave me another separate form that you have to sign to receive your Perkins Loans, which most everyone who applied uber-early for financial aid will have along with the Stafford loans. I don't know why they didn't send the form along with the rest of the financial aid stuff, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up on that just in case it's not sent out after you send them your award acceptance stuff. Or if you're gonna be down there sometime soon, just swing by and fill it out.

By the way, any Austinites out there want to go hang out sometime soon?

lilstina said:
after looking up some stuff on the internet (only a little cuz im lazy :p) and reading some of the threads in the financial aid forum, i went with T.H.E.

everyone who has posted about them seems pretty happy with it. no origination or guarantor fees, and im not sure if they have any special incentives for repayment, but it seems like i'll probably end up consolidating my loans anyway which apparently means youre taking out a totally new loan with new terms so the original repayment incentives arent even applicable anymore.

and i just got my packet today with the info that keekee mentioned. now just to decide what size jacket to order... hmm... i wonder how much room needs to be allotted for "oversize clothing"...

Yeah, what IS "oversize clothing" anyway?

keekee said:
Yeah, what IS "oversize clothing" anyway?
i wonder if it's only us girls who have to worry about that. i dont want it to be huge and baggy but i also dont want it to not fit over my sweaters in the winter. what annoys me is that i'm one size according to the "dress sizes" but another size according to waist sizes. oh well.

keekee, did your fin aid award mention perkins loans? mine only has fed sub, fed unsub, and resident TPEG.

lilstina said:
i wonder if it's only us girls who have to worry about that. i dont want it to be huge and baggy but i also dont want it to not fit over my sweaters in the winter. what annoys me is that i'm one size according to the "dress sizes" but another size according to waist sizes. oh well.

keekee, did your fin aid award mention perkins loans? mine only has fed sub, fed unsub, and resident TPEG.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the dress/waist size thing. In the end, I just decided to order a S and call it a day. I'm more worried that it's going to be too long or too short since I'm a mere 5'3" and have never been able to get things the right length.

I did get some Perkins Loans along with the other three, but I don't really know why. And I was just looking through my copy of the award notification, and on the third page, it DOES tell you to go to a website and print out the Perkins Loans promissory note, sign it, and send it in with the rest of the stuff if you got Perkins. That's why they didn't send it. I knew about the entrance counseling, but that other part was a little bit o' fine print that I "missed". ;)

lilstina, i stopped by the financial aid office last week and the guy i talked to told me the perkins loans were given out on a first come first serve basis until all the funds were exhausted.

keekee, i'm gonna be in austin next week, so count me in if you guys meet up.

Ghost said:
lilstina, i stopped by the financial aid office last week and the guy i talked to told me the perkins loans were given out on a first come first serve basis until all the funds were exhausted.

keekee, i'm gonna be in austin next week, so count me in if you guys meet up.
aw damn, i guess i didnt get my forms turned in early enough for perkins :( did you guys have them in really early? oops good call about mentioning the entrance counseling. i just saw it now.

keekee, don't feel bad. i'm only 5'2" and that's only because i round up! most things are too long on me as well. i was going to just go with XS but now im wondering about S since it seems like you may be around my size? maybe i'll just put down my measurements and let them figure it out for me :oops:

i filled out fafsa online at the end of feb.

lilstina said:
aw damn, i guess i didnt get my forms turned in early enough for perkins :( did you guys have them in really early? oops good call about mentioning the entrance counseling. i just saw it now.

keekee, don't feel bad. i'm only 5'2" and that's only because i round up! most things are too long on me as well. i was going to just go with XS but now im wondering about S since it seems like you may be around my size? maybe i'll just put down my measurements and let them figure it out for me :oops:

I filled my FAFSA out in Feb. too..

Lilstina- You are I probably have the same pseudo-midget frame. I went with the small instead of the XS. I think if you're between sizes on the white coat, it's better just to go up a size to account for the "oversize clothing" in the winter, female anatomy, and the inevitable 15 pound weight gain we will all have to deal with the first year. I'm kidding of course... :laugh:

Um, at least I think I am... :scared:

I'm gonna go to the gym now...

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. The first year class collected all the books you guys will need for first year (from the current first-years) and plans to provide incoming students with a book sale at a discounted price (even at prices below Half-Price books I think). The bookstore at our school is actually Barnes and Nobel (just found that out today :) ) and they can be good but are expensive. The books collected range from mint condition (no highlighting/not worn out) to highlighted with notes. The price varies per condition but always below the competition so you should be able to get what you want at a price you want. So don't go and do something gunner-like and spend 500$ on books before school actually starts. You'll might regret spending that amount of money on books you don't use that often but use enough to have to buy it...

Also, I'm female 5'4 about 105lbs and my white coat (size extra-small) eats me up. Don't know if that helps. Good luck to everyone.

catch 23 said:
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. The first year class collected all the books you guys will need for first year (from the current first-years) and plans to provide incoming students with a book sale at a discounted price (even at prices below Half-Price books I think). The bookstore at our school is actually Barnes and Nobel (just found that out today :) ) and they can be good but are expensive. The books collected range from mint condition (no highlighting/not worn out) to highlighted with notes. The price varies per condition but always below the competition so you should be able to get what you want at a price you want. So don't go and do something gunner-like and spend 500$ on books before school actually starts. You'll might regret spending that amount of money on books you don't use that often but use enough to have to buy it...

Also, I'm female 5'4 about 105lbs and my white coat (size extra-small) eats me up. Don't know if that helps. Good luck to everyone.
thanks for the post catch 23! so we should wait until we get there to find out what books we need to get?

hmm... you are pretty close to my size. it's too big even with heavier clothes underneath it? does it shrink when you wash it? keekee, maybe we should be looking at XS after all...

also... is anyone getting any of the tshirts? or a stethoscope? random, i know haha...

lilstina said:

why you tryin to act like you're all small and cute.

exmike said:
why you tryin to act like you're all small and cute.
go away! youre in the wrong thread :mad:

i would recommend not buying ANY books for the first few weeks of class. There are no required text for first year and you should really go to the bookstore and look at all the books. and then wait and see if you need a study guide in addition to the syllabus.

I think the only books that are necessary during the first year are : First Aide for theh USMLE (get a new one. This is a bible type book), an anatomy atlas (get a used one), and a micro anatomy atlas (again, get a used one).

Wow, this thread just about exploded today!

Yeah, a warning about the white coats. If you're 5'3", you may want to go ahead and get an XS, becuase I'm a 5'7" guy who wears a 36 unisex, which is a S. And even then, the sleeves are a little long on me.

Just a warning. :)

financial aid questions! What are the TPEG and Perkins loans, and how much were they for? I don't think I got either of those. Just wanted to check that I got a package similar to what everyone else is getting. I'm single, TX resident, independent, and got a loan package totalling $29.5K. Is this comparable to what everyone else is getting?

roja said:
i would recommend not buying ANY books for the first few weeks of class. There are no required text for first year and you should really go to the bookstore and look at all the books. and then wait and see if you need a study guide in addition to the syllabus.

I think the only books that are necessary during the first year are : First Aide for theh USMLE (get a new one. This is a bible type book), an anatomy atlas (get a used one), and a micro anatomy atlas (again, get a used one).

Roja, you've given a lot of great info to all these future med students. I'm sure everyone appreciates your knowledge and enthusiasm. Sometimes, things change. For example, last year biochem was required because we had quizzes on the website taken straight out of the book about info that wasn't mentioned in lectures or the syllabus. Additionally, phys was required because some of the profs lectured religiously out of the book without providing a very good syllabus (i.e. we had test questions come straight from the book about content not mentioned in class). Also, most students I know did not use a histo atlas because the CD was more relevant to class with the syllabus providing as a good supplement. As far as the Board Review Series books, those help when your last exam is the shelf but are not as relevant for the other exams (the old tests are a better aproximation of questions). Most people bought the CIC books because of the format of the exams and tests. We had test questions come from "The Medical Interview" which again was material not lectured on. And who knows what different adjustments will be made next year as far as required texts.

I made the mistake of not buying any books and just waiting and I think it initially hurt me. The texts generally make great references because the syllabi are not complete. This is even more relevant to students who were not science majors or who don't have previous backgrounds in certain subjects. I agree with your point--that one should consider buying books carefully because different people have different experiences.

sfgm112 said:
financial aid questions! What are the TPEG and Perkins loans, and how much were they for? I don't think I got either of those. Just wanted to check that I got a package similar to what everyone else is getting. I'm single, TX resident, independent, and got a loan package totalling $29.5K. Is this comparable to what everyone else is getting?
i dont know too much about perkins except that i dont think i got my forms turned in in time to get any, some of the other posters can probably tell you more about it. but TPEG seems like a grant (i hope!!!) and my random shot in the dark guess is that it stands for texas public education grant? only because i got something similar to it for grad school here as well.

im same as you... single, resident, independent but my package was only $29.4K... :laugh: keekee mentioned getting roughly the same amount too, so yeah, seems like the packages are similar?

sfgm112, according to the dude i talked to in the financial aid office, everyone's aid should come to the same amount, which is the estimated cost by the school, currently $29.4K for in-state. the max for stafford sub is $8,500. a perkins loan is subsidized by the gov and has a fixed interest rate of 5%. it was $2,000, and it was given first come first serve. tpeg is a grant from the state. it was $1500, and also first come first serve.

catch 23 said:
Roja, you've given a lot of great info to all these future med students. I'm sure everyone appreciates your knowledge and enthusiasm. Sometimes, things change. For example, last year biochem was required because we had quizzes on the website taken straight out of the book about info that wasn't mentioned in lectures or the syllabus. Additionally, phys was required because some of the profs lectured religiously out of the book without providing a very good syllabus (i.e. we had test questions come straight from the book about content not mentioned in class). Also, most students I know did not use a histo atlas because the CD was more relevant to class with the syllabus providing as a good supplement. As far as the Board Review Series books, those help when your last exam is the shelf but are not as relevant for the other exams (the old tests are a better aproximation of questions). Most people bought the CIC books because of the format of the exams and tests. We had test questions come from "The Medical Interview" which again was material not lectured on. And who knows what different adjustments will be made next year as far as required texts.

I made the mistake of not buying any books and just waiting and I think it initially hurt me. The texts generally make great references because the syllabi are not complete. This is even more relevant to students who were not science majors or who don't have previous backgrounds in certain subjects. I agree with your point--that one should consider buying books carefully because different people have different experiences.

Never made the assumptions that things dont change. And reqd biochem? *shudder* sounds horrible. However, I made the mistake of not getting the board (mainly shelf) exam until the middle of first semester and could have shot myself. First Aide really helps BOTH years (first and second) with great mnemonics and easily remember condensed material. And I REALLY wish I had bought Underground clinical vignettes at the beginning of second year. I hated the Bates book and didn't use it. Same with the interview book. The little yellow card they gvie you was all that was really necessary.

I would wait until class starts to buy anything. And when it comes to review books, find the one that works best with the way you learn, not what everyone else is using.

However, I also had no goals of getting straight A's in medical school..... :D

29.5K? I guess I'm worth a grand less than everyone else...

pillion said:
29.5K? I guess I'm worth a grand less than everyone else...

yeah, i got 28.5 too. i called to financial aid office and they told me they told me i would get the rest of my aid money from them once all the scholarships were handed out. the fin aid office made it sound like everyone was 1,000 short on their aid this year when i called, but i guess not.

Hey Ghost, how was your little European adventure?

hey pillion, how's it going? i had a great time, and i have the credit card debt to prove it. now i gotta get my butt in gear and find a place to live.

Hey keekee, I noticed in the UTHSCSA vs Tulane thread that you're interested in infectious disease and public health. Do you know of Dr. Verghese? He's an infectious disease internist who UTHSCSA just brought in recently to head their new humanities and ethics department. He's a pretty interesting fella... just thought you might be interested in looking him up sometime.

Wait, is he the one that wrote "My Own Country" or something like that? If it's the same guy, that's awesome that he's coming to UTHSCSA! Thanks for letting me know that...

Also, I just found out that Dr. Joe McCormick and his wife Dr. Sue Fisher-Hoch, who both wrote that kickass book Level 4 Virus Hunters of the CDC, are down at UT-H's School of Public Health branch down in Brownsville (he's an assistant dean and she's a professor), which of course is not too far from the Harlingen campus...

It's so great that all these great ID/Public Health people are here in the UT system...I didn't even realize it...

pillion said:
Hey keekee, I noticed in the UTHSCSA vs Tulane thread that you're interested in infectious disease and public health. Do you know of Dr. Verghese? He's an infectious disease internist who UTHSCSA just brought in recently to head their new humanities and ethics department. He's a pretty interesting fella... just thought you might be interested in looking him up sometime.

keekee said:
Wait, is he the one that wrote "My Own Country" or something like that? If it's the same guy, that's awesome that he's coming to UTHSCSA! Thanks for letting me know that...

Also, I just found out that Dr. Joe McCormick and his wife Dr. Sue Fisher-Hoch, who both wrote that kickass book Level 4 Virus Hunters of the CDC, are down at UT-H's School of Public Health branch down in Brownsville (he's an assistant dean and she's a professor), which of course is not too far from the Harlingen campus...

It's so great that all these great ID/Public Health people are here in the UT system...I didn't even realize it...

He has been there for a while now. I read "My Own Country" and it will be great to take some ethics classes under him.

JGL9802 said:
Hey Ghost, welcome back! I signed my lease today. THere are plenty of places for any budget, just get to San Antone and take a pen.

hey JGL, thanks for the info. i'll be going up next week sometime.

Hey fellow Austin UTHSCSAers!

I really want to get a group together for the fellow Austin peeps and people who just happen to be in Austin to meet up and hang out this weekend/week and/or next (when Ghost is in town). I know you guys are out there, so speak up and be social! Reply or send me a PM and I'll organize something... :cool:

I'd be more than up for it! Just not this Friday. Biochem final. :(

hey guys, i'm gonna go up to austin tomorrow and stay there through next weekend, so i can meet up on any of those nights.

Beaten to death I know, but did anyone call up all those lenders on that list? T.H.E seems good, but Acapita has the same 0% garantor/origination fees and a bigger discount during repayment.