Official UTHSCSA Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can anyone tell me what kind of stethoscope we need? there's a scrub store up here in frisco with new littmans for ~$85 but i want to make sure i'm getting the right kind :)

Members don't see this ad.

I got a stethoscope for school.... I think its a good one but then again i dont know a thing about them. Everything i learned was from SDN. I bought a Littman Master Cardiology Black Edition from Allheart.com..... and about all i can tell you is that it looks cool and I can hear my heart beat in it. So in my expert opinion... I have no idea which one to get

I'm gonna get the Littman Cardiology III. It's a little pricey but, from what I hear, an excellect stethoscope. The Master Cardiology is probably overkill, and way more expensive.

And now, off to buy a diagnostic set... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My personel favorite is the Cardio II from litman. It has superior acustics over all other scopes. I can differentiate aortic vs. pulmonic regurgitation in the back of a loud ass ambulance bumping down the road :thumbup:

I havn't replaced it since it sprouted legs and walked off.

Unless you have plans on being a cardiologist (and even if you do, at this point my statement will stand) you don't need a stethascope that costs more thatn 85 bucks.

Even cardiologists don't rely on murmur sounds to diagnose.. its all echo.

@&*(#$*(&@!@#

I still havent' gotten my financial aid info nor this information for CIC. They still had my Richmond address on file despite my telling them I was in Houston--I really hope its not too late. I'm going to have to call tomorrow.

:mad: Grumbling, :mad:
~Abbiequeen

Would anybody be so kind as to inform me what is in the CIC packet that I have yet to acquire?

I need to get a cell phone for San Antonio. For those of you with experience, do you have a preference in service for Cingular or Verizon? I used Verizon in Virginia and had no qualms while my family in Houston uses Cingular. How do the service qualities compare?

~Abbiequeen

abbiequeen said:
@&*(#$*(&@!@#

I still havent' gotten my financial aid info nor this information for CIC. They still had my Richmond address on file despite my telling them I was in Houston--I really hope its not too late. I'm going to have to call tomorrow.

:mad: Grumbling, :mad:
~Abbiequeen

Would anybody be so kind as to inform me what is in the CIC packet that I have yet to acquire?

same here, and they've been mailing everything to my home address. i left them a message last friday and still havent heard anything via telephone, mail, or e-mail. i'm a little perturbed too...but hopefully everything will get taken care of within the next couple of weeks. if anyone out there has those packets handy i'd appreciate the info :)

Is this the CIC stuff yall were missing? I scanned it so some of the words might be messed up as well as the formating.

Welcome to San Antonio! During the first four weeks of school you will be involved in one activity full time ? the Introduction to Patient Care module of the Clinical Integration Course. As director of the Clinical Integration Course, I will be working closely with you during July.
During the Introduction to Patient Care module you will:
1. Learn and master basic concepts in interviewing and establishing relationships with patients.
2. Learn and master basic physical examination skills.
3. Learn medical literature search techniques with Ovid software.
4. Obtain an American Heart Association Basic Life Support card.

The following written materials are used in the course: (The prices at the campus bookstore are included for
your reference.)
Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking.
8th Edition, Lynn S. Bickley, 2002 $73.95
The Medical Interview: Mastering Skills for Clinical Practice.
4th Edition. John Coulehan and Marian R. Block. 2001 $33.95
Clinical Integration Course Manual $ 6.00

Learning physical examination skills requires instruments as well as printed resources. These instruments are expensive and the cost can create a certain amount of anxiety. You will be expected to have access to the following physical examination equipment by Friday of the first week of school: diagnostic set (ophthalmoscope and otoscope with pneumatoscopy bulb), stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, one high frequency tuning fork (512 Hz), one low frequency tuning fork (256 or 128 Hz), and a hand?held visual acuity card. The purchase of this equipment constitutes a major expense ? $600 to $1000 depending on which models you buy.

There is no need for you to buy this equipment now. We will discuss equipment during orientation week and you will have time to buy your equipment then. However, past classes have found the following information in advance of matriculation helpful.

Below are examples of equipment needed for the course. This is not an exhaustive list of all available equipment, rather examples of good quality equipment that will last. I have included model numbers and prices at the campus bookstore for those who want to compare prices ahead of time or shop elsewhere.

The list got really messed up when I tried to paste it in so IM me if you want it.

Following the Introduction to Patient Care module, you will be visiting clinical sites one afternoon per week during the rest of the year. In preparation for taking part in clinical sites, all students are expected to have an American Heart Association Basic Life Support card that is current through May 2006. We have arranged to have this training provided during IPC at a cost to you of $20. If you already have a card that is valid through May, 2004, bring it with you for our documentation and you will not have to repeat the BLS training.

If you have questions about any of the above or the course in general, please feel free to contact me or Mike Jones, Course Coordinator. I look forward to meeting you in July!

JGL9802 said:
That sounds good, we'll start making plans come June.
Hey! I wanna go, I wanna go!
I love hiking.
M

Hi everybody!

Well the mail came through and I finally got my financial aid letter. However I have some questions I hope those of you who got this months ago can help me with.

1)When I was talking with John (med school guy in Fin Aid) when I first got off the waitlist, he said my budget would be something like $29,600--which is remarably close to the budget and aid award I had at Texas Tech. However, I just got the letter, and it shows the budget as being only $23,073. Is Budget the same for every student? Or did he mis quote the budget when he was telling me? What did you guys have for this "TOTAL BUDGET" number? (if you want to keep it private, PM me)

2)What is the difference between Perkins loans (which have a 5% interest rate) compared to the two Stafford loans?

Thank you everybody!

~Abbiequeen :)

abbiequeen said:
Hi everybody!

Well the mail came through and I finally got my financial aid letter. However I have some questions I hope those of you who got this months ago can help me with.

1)When I was talking with John (med school guy in Fin Aid) when I first got off the waitlist, he said my budget would be something like $29,600--which is remarably close to the budget and aid award I had at Texas Tech. However, I just got the letter, and it shows the budget as being only $23,073. Is Budget the same for every student? Or did he mis quote the budget when he was telling me? What did you guys have for this "TOTAL BUDGET" number? (if you want to keep it private, PM me)

2)What is the difference between Perkins loans (which have a 5% interest rate) compared to the two Stafford loans?

Thank you everybody!

~Abbiequeen :)

My total need was 29,396, and I was offered 29,396.
17,396 Unsub Stafford
2,000 Perkins
8,500 Sub Stafford
1,500 TPEG

The difference between the loans is simple. The sub stafford does not accrue interest during school. The unsub stafford does. The perkins loan is similar to a stafford except that the interest rate is fixed and low. Furthermore, the university acts as the lender for the perkins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, shawred, but why are our needs different? Aren't we all paying the same amount in fees/tuition/housing/etc?

~Abbiequeen :confused:

abbiequeen said:
Thanks, shawred, but why are our needs different? Aren't we all paying the same amount in fees/tuition/housing/etc?

~Abbiequeen :confused:

I would just say that you should call them. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

JGL9802 said:
Well it turns out that my June weekends before whitecoat are all full!!! Busy month. But we'll definately take a short trip soon after school starts and we find all the hikers.

That week may not be good for me either. But eventually...

page 21
owned.gif

i called friday to check on the status of my financial aid and apparently i wasnt even in the computer - i have to call in the morning to talk to the top dog in the finaid dept but i'm a little concerned. i even got a letter from UT-houston (where i wasnt even accepted, nor waitlisted) back in march saying they received my fafsa (that i filed in january) and that everything was complete. argh.

I'm posting my question about a cell phone again:

Anybody have an opinion on this?

I need to get a cell phone for San Antonio. For those of you with experience, do you have a preference in service quality for Cingular or Verizon? I used Verizon in Virginia and had no qualms while my family in Houston uses Cingular. How do the service qualities compare?

~Abbiequeen

abbiequeen said:
I'm posting my question about a cell phone again:

Anybody have an opinion on this?

I need to get a cell phone for San Antonio. For those of you with experience, do you have a preference in service quality for Cingular or Verizon? I used Verizon in Virginia and had no qualms while my family in Houston uses Cingular. How do the service qualities compare?

~Abbiequeen

you may want to go to howardforums.com and ask there - it's a board dedicated to cell phones and such. you'd probably get a more educated answer there :)

jberg4 said:
Does anybody know what the bus system is like? Since I'm at the Carlyle which is only like a mile away from campus I was going to walk to class and if it was raining or I didn't feel like walking I was thinking about just taking the bus. Their website said it would only take me like 12 minutes to get there!

On another note, I'm SLOWLY packing up my stuff to move back to Texas next week. Sadly, I have to leave behind my boyfriend of 1.5 years. Does anyone else have to deal with long distance relationships starting this summer?
If you're living at Caryle Place, I would just walk. I used to live a little further on Babcock and Callahan and its a nice walk. I would just drive on really cold/hot, days that I was late.

Hey pre-mat'ers! If you see this, you're in the right place. :)

Just a word of advice regarding financial aid. I know its scary but don't freak out. If your financial aide isn't available on registration day, they give you a 'loan' to cover it. If you need living expenses, you can get up to 1000 in 3 days as a short term emergency loan. Or you can get 300 cash that day. It can help keep you afloat....

Hey everyone!
I would just like to welcome you! I am currently in the Pre- mat program and it is pretty intimidating :eek: :scared: . I mean I knew I was going to have to study alot but I guess it just never really hit me that my whole life was going to change once school starts. If anyone feels the same way don't hesitate on venting with me.

Hey! I am in the pre-mat program. Thanks for showing me how to get to this site. It is pretty cool.

hey bl31,

what are you guys studying in the premat program?

what exactly is the premat program? i didnt know uthscsa had one?

I'm in the process of applying to med school this year. I'm curious as to what made "y'all" pick UT San Antonio as your school of choice. Location, curriculum, etc...? :)

GutsyGal said:
I'm in the process of applying to med school this year. I'm curious as to what made "y'all" pick UT San Antonio as your school of choice. Location, curriculum, etc...? :)

I was really impressed with the resources and $ they were putting into clinical skills development. In particular, a new building where two floors are dedicated to clinical skill practice and evaluation. I think it is great that the first month of medical school is clinical. The students seem very happy and were friendly. Also, Dean Jones told my group ( an others) at the interview that we all had competitive numbers in terms of MCAT and GPA and that the ADCOM was more interested in personality at the interview stage. I like the fact that the average age of matriculation is 27. I am from Massachusetts so the idea of studying outside in November appeals to me.

Hey guys. For those of you wondering, you can read about the pre-matriculation program at http://www.uthscsa.edu/hcoe/page21.html.

Oh, and hi Betty! Glad you make it. And yes, I'm terrified about how different and demanding this whole experience is gonna be. It still doesn't even feel like it's real... :eek:

I picked san antonio based on my gut instinct. I wanted a school that wasn't old fashioned (in that sense of med student=peon), that was very strong clinically and had a diverse student body. I wanted to go somewhere where medical school was not expected to be the be all and end all. The faculty was great.

And back then, CIC was new, and it sounded really nifty. And it really worked. When I did rotations during fourth year, I was far ahead of others from other schools... same for most of my classmates. Getting used to that stuff (H&P) during the first two years really allows you to focus on learning to manage patients. It really does make a HUGE difference.

I LOVED school there. I would not hesitate a second at recommending it. I had a great time in medical school and learned alot. The faculty is amazing.

And I recommend rotating at BAMC if at all possible. its amazing as well.

I've been on the road for the last two weeks. Have I missed any important mail outs or updates?

Pm me if anybody is still interested in camping the week before white coat. I think I can squeeze in a night or two.

G0S2 said:
I was really impressed with the resources and $ they were putting into clinical skills development. In particular, a new building where two floors are dedicated to clinical skill practice and evaluation. I think it is great that the first month of medical school is clinical. The students seem very happy and were friendly. Also, Dean Jones told my group ( an others) at the interview that we all had competitive numbers in terms of MCAT and GPA and that the ADCOM was more interested in personality at the interview stage. I like the fact that the average age of matriculation is 27. I am from Massachusetts so the idea of studying outside in November appeals to me.

I'm still waiting for my MCAT scores back ( :scared: ), but do you what those "competitive numbers" are? Just so I know what I should expect!

In general, Dr. Jones and the selection committee have serious reserves about scores under 24. However, after that, they really look at the whole interview applicant. I have had students get accepted with a 25 and students who weren't even interviewed with 35's.

So, it is really an entirity thing with san antonio.

GutsyGal said:
I'm still waiting for my MCAT scores back ( :scared: ), but do you what those "competitive numbers" are? Just so I know what I should expect!

From the Admissions Update link at UTHSCSA, Dean Jones stated:

"Outstanding students were selected into a class of 220 which included 20 students from out of state. In the past years 50-53% of the class were women, with this year increasing to 60%. The grade point average of the accepted class was a little over 3.5 and the average MCAT, 28. These numbers only partially indicate the outstanding quality of our students as many of them have distinguished themselves through personal achievements both during and after their university studies."

Like Roja said, however, it is the entire package.

G0S2 said:
Like Roja said, however, it is the entire package.

I agree. I can remember when I first felt that UTHSCSA was for me. Cn the interview day, Dr. Jones said that he could easily boost the average MCAT score of the entering class by 3-4 points. But he felt no reason to push the selection process that way.

That really scored some points with me.

Two days earlier, I had interviewed at Southwestern. Walking into the San Antonio interview the following Monday, I was still reeling from the academic power and resources of Southwestern. To tell the truth, I almost blew off the San Antonio interview.

Which is why I was so surprised at the end of the San Antonio interview day to find myself replacing Southwestern with UTHSCSA as #1 on my rank list.

I'm not the best person to ask (because I'm not even an official M1 yet), but this place just feels right for me. GutsyGal, hopefully you'll have the same experience, be it at UTHSCSA or any other school.

Megalofyia said:
Are there students who live at Promontory point? It's such an expensive place, but it is REALLY nice.

This may be an old post, but I just moved into Promontory Pointe apartments about 2 weeks ago. Yes, they are really nice, but pretty expensive. We wanted to live in nice, comfortable apartments and PP advertises themselves as "luxury." We haven't had any problems so far and the staff is very nice. If applicable, ask for Bernice. She's pretty cool. Can't wait to see you in school!

futrdrbaker

I also live in Promontory Pointe!!! Which apartment, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe we can get together before classes start!

Here is the 2004 UTHSCSA Match List:

Attachments

• 2004ResidencyList.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 229
Hello everyone!
I know I posted some weird and off-the-wall replies last night. But it was after midnight and I was just so excited to find people that I would be spending the next four years with. I guess I wasn't thinking correctly. But I would like to introduce myself, like everyone else did. My name is Kristen and I will also be a member of the UTHSCSA Class of 2008! I'm so excited to start medical school like the rest of you. I have already moved to SA; I live in Promontory Pointe apartments.
I have a question for everyone that has RoadRunner cable access. I cannot access the Class of 2008 website, www.uthscsa07.net/2008 . I was told it was a problem with my server. Is anyone else having trouble?

Welcome Kristen! Your excitement is justified; we've got a great class. See you in less than two weeks!

Hello, Kristen, and welcome! Always nice to meet future classmates. I, too, am already in San Antonio. And don't worry, you weren't the only one who was unable to access www.uthscsa07.net/2008 -- it's been down for the past couple of days, but seemingly sprang back to life just today. Weird...

But anyway, welcome! :)

-- Carlos

This class does seem great and now will make me feel bad for deferring. I will be at the White Coat to cheer you guys on and hopefully meet you.

-Chris

i'm moving in this weekend but i wont have TV or internet til tuesday :-\ therefore i will be extremely bored all sunday night and monday...so let me know if any of yall in SA already have any plans. this sounds really pathetic and all but i know my PS2 wont be enough to entertain me for 36 hours
happysad.gif

I'm just curious to see how many people are buying diagnostic equipment and/or other books and supplies before school starts. I've seen some good deals on websites (i.e. eBay), but I don't want to jump the gun. Does anyone else feel this same way?

i think i will buy a stethoscope, but maybe hold off on the diag equipment until orientation starts at least to see if i can borrow or get it cheaper from someone. my big sib told me not to buy any books until i talk to her about what's good to get and what she can give/lend to me, so i'm going to wait on books as well.

i definitely think it's better to wait a bit for most of the stuff to find out what you really need vs what will be more of a waste of money.

lilstina said:
i think i will buy a stethoscope, but maybe hold off on the diag equipment until orientation starts at least to see if i can borrow or get it cheaper from someone. my big sib told me not to buy any books until i talk to her about what's good to get and what she can give/lend to me, so i'm going to wait on books as well.

i definitely think it's better to wait a bit for most of the stuff to find out what you really need vs what will be more of a waste of money.

Hey, lilstina!... How did you find out who your big sis was?

did you sign up for one either by filling out the forms in the white coat order mailing? i didnt, but i directly emailed julie rowe my info instead, who coordinates it. she emailed me my big sib's name and email and and i went ahead and got in contact with her.

Thanks for all your input about why you wanted to go to UTHSCSA. Got my MCAT scores back and didn't do as well as I'd hoped (4 points lower than my last practice test!). :( Thinking about retaking it in August...oh well! C'est la vie, n'est pas?

GutsyGal said:
Thanks for all your input about why you wanted to go to UTHSCSA. Got my MCAT scores back and didn't do as well as I'd hoped (4 points lower than my last practice test!). :( Thinking about retaking it in August...oh well! C'est la vie, n'est pas?

Retaking isn't a bad idea since you can still apply for next year. However, UTHSCSA seems to look at the whole package, not just MCAT. Good luck!

Gutsygal- having been on the admissions committe at san antonio, and spoken extensively with dr.j and members of the selection committee, I would say don't jump into retaking the MCAT without talking to someone about your whole application.... That may not be what you need to do. Feel free to PM me if you want.