OHSU vs MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHSU or MCW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

clued

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to MCW and am currently on hold at OHSU.

I am from Oregon and love the Portland area. I have family and friends (in and out of OHSU) here so I really like the idea of staying here. As for Milwaukee, WI, I've only been there to interview. I can see myself there but the hot/humid summers and freezing winters might have me second guessing myself. But I have one good friend there and I actually planned to live with her. I am just torn on what to do if I ultimately get accepted to OHSU.

I really enjoyed MCW's interview day and the program that was presented. Everyone was super nice and helpful. The children's hospital is attractive to me because I might want to lean towards that route. It's cheaper, but not by much, than OHSU so it really isn't an issue. My only real reservation is being far away from my family.

I feel like OHSU has a better reputation/name but that might just be because I'm from the NW and OHSU has always been a "top" school in my eyes. It's in Portland - awesome. The campus and facilities I'm not too thrilled about. Parts of it seemed old and dark and the lack of parking kind of sucks. I'm not sure about research opportunities?

Overall I have heard great things about both schools but any other advice or insight to either school to help guide me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU, but you can probably guess why.

The humidity would be the death of me. I like to be able to BREATHE the air, not swim through it.

Although, right now with all the pollen in the air, I am dying. The Willamette valley was know by the native Americans that lived here as "the valley of sickness," so when the white people moved in, there were very few natives to overcome. The natives just sat up in the hills shaking their heads thinking "stupid white people."

dsoz

I would say that if they pull you from the hold list, take it. I got into the University of Wisconsin-Madison and maybe if I were a WI resident with ties there it could beat out OHSU...but as all of my friends, family, & familiarity is with the PNW I feel like OHSU is a near obvious choice. Isn't MCW also more expensive?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that if they pull you from the hold list, take it. I got into the University of Wisconsin-Madison and maybe if I were a WI resident with ties there it could beat out OHSU...but as all of my friends, family, & familiarity is with the PNW I feel like OHSU is a near obvious choice. Isn't MCW also more expensive?

Well I am no longer an Oregon resident so MCW ends up being slightly cheaper (~7K) but not significant enough for me to really choose MCW over OHSU based on cost alone.

I definitely have the familiarity factor here in Portland but I wanted to get out and experience a new environment. I mean, I really liked the people at MCW and I have a couple friends there and the facilities are awesome...but now that I've had a few days to think about it, it would indeed be nice to stay around my family. I would probably be happy at either, I just don't like the sound of the Wisconsin summers and winters. :p

im currently living in portland and i want to get into OHSU, what were some of your stats when applying? thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.