This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an accepted IS and was wondering if getting a job on the weekends during vet school was doable or worth it. Any advice??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using SDN mobile

I would say to wait after the first semester and see how you manage your time and studies. I know there are people that do work during vet school but I feel the little amount of money that can be earned is not worth the stress and hassle. Others obviously feel differently.

Congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to meeting your class in the fall.:banana:
 
I'm an accepted IS and was wondering if getting a job on the weekends during vet school was doable or worth it. Any advice??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using SDN mobile
I would say to wait after the first semester and see how you manage your time and studies. I know there are people that do work during vet school but I feel the little amount of money that can be earned is not worth the stress and hassle. Others obviously feel differently.

Congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to meeting your class in the fall.:banana:
I second Rory’s suggestion! I have a weekend/ part time job at the school doing research. For me, it’s a nice time to get away from the stress of it all, but I also work very little amounts (~10 hours every two weeks or so)
 
Thank you guys for the input. I just am up in the air about it because the job would provide free housing close to the vet school, which would cut back on loans/savings I would have to use to pay for school. So I didn't know if it was worth it.
 
Another question for those of you who are already attending, did you guys buy a lot of books every semester? I’ve heard Some people from other schools say that they don’t buy much books because all they need is the PowerPoint slides and if they need the book the library has a copy. Just wondering...
 
Another question for those of you who are already attending, did you guys buy a lot of books every semester? I’ve heard Some people from other schools say that they don’t buy much books because all they need is the PowerPoint slides and if they need the book the library has a copy. Just wondering...
NO. You should not have to buy any books. One prof does his own notes that you will purchase, not sure if Dr. A has you buy hers, but you can likely just get them from previous students along with any other books you feel you might want.
 
NO. You should not have to buy any books. One prof does his own notes that you will purchase, not sure if Dr. A has you buy hers, but you can likely just get them from previous students along with any other books you feel you might want.

Okay. Thank you. I was looking as the estimated cost of books which is really high and thought I’d ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NO. You should not have to buy any books. One prof does his own notes that you will purchase, not sure if Dr. A has you buy hers, but you can likely just get them from previous students along with any other books you feel you might want.
She does!
Also echoing this. There will be some books you find important, most of them you won’t.

First semester I would buy:
Paper Notes from professor
Dr. A’s anatomy notes
Wheaters for Histology (get from a first year- I know I’ll be selling my copy of Wheaters)
Anatomy supplies- SVSA sells kits or from a current first year.
Lab Coats (there’s just 1 lab but I liked having 2 coats to switch off every week)

Think that’s it lol.

This semester all I use are my immuno book, and my 3 parasitology books (and the professor’s notes of course)
 
She does!
Also echoing this. There will be some books you find important, most of them you won’t.

First semester I would buy:
Paper Notes from professor
Dr. A’s anatomy notes
Wheaters for Histology (get from a first year- I know I’ll be selling my copy of Wheaters)
Anatomy supplies- SVSA sells kits or from a current first year.
Lab Coats (there’s just 1 lab but I liked having 2 coats to switch off every week)

Think that’s it lol.

This semester all I use are my immuno book, and my 3 parasitology books (and the professor’s notes of course)
As many lab coats that get left behind, they'll be on sale for like, a buck or something and they are already gunked up.
 
Hi everyone! I have some questions.
-Does the schools gets any exotics?
- Does the school has any program or organization that helps students travel and get experience from other countries? If so, do they help with costs?
- How many scholarships and/or grants are usually given per students?
- What's the average out-of state student debt after graduation?

Thank you in advance and congrats to everyone who got accepted!!
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I have some questions.
- What's the average out-of state student debt after graduation?
Thank you in advance and congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

Not sure what the average debt for OSU is but I’m OOS and I estimate my total debt will be around 200k. I had 30k undergrad debt which is included in that figure.

I try to be thrifty with my living costs, fix all my meals, keep my heat/ac at minimal settings but I do live by myself. My car is also paid for. I don’t receive any financial support from my parents. I would think my debt is “worse case” scenario as long as you are frugal.

I don’t know the answers to the other questions except that we do have an active exotics club.

Congrats on your acceptance!
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! I have some questions.
-Does the schools gets any exotics?
- Does the school has any program or organization that helps students travel and get experience from other countries? If so, do they help with costs?
- How many scholarships and/or grants are usually given per students?
- What's the average out-of state student debt after graduation?

Thank you in advance and congrats to everyone who got accepted!!
Yes, the school has exotics they see in clinic, exotics electives/rotation, and exotics clubs.
There is an IVSA club that I believe helps with international studies and travel. The Christian veterinary fellowship also does an international veterinary mission trip I believe. ..
They should have an OOS tuition estimate on the OSU website that you can even include cost of living.
 
I am OOS-alternate. It was a pleasant surprise to get that email, but I didn't think too much of it until last week when it became official that this waitlist is now my only remaining chance at admission this year. I was scared (can't help but think of worst-case scenario that I'm low on "the list"), but reading this gives me a little hope.
 
I am OOS-alternate. It was a pleasant surprise to get that email, but I didn't think too much of it until last week when it became official that this waitlist is now my only remaining chance at admission this year. I was scared (can't help but think of worst-case scenario that I'm low on "the list"), but reading this gives me a little hope.

I was in your same position and just wanted to give you hope that it can happen! Congrats on making it this far and hopefully you will receive a call!
 
I am OOS-alternate. It was a pleasant surprise to get that email, but I didn't think too much of it until last week when it became official that this waitlist is now my only remaining chance at admission this year. I was scared (can't help but think of worst-case scenario that I'm low on "the list"), but reading this gives me a little hope.
Hey! I remember you! 🙂 Best of luck off the waitlist!
 
I am OOS-alternate. It was a pleasant surprise to get that email, but I didn't think too much of it until last week when it became official that this waitlist is now my only remaining chance at admission this year. I was scared (can't help but think of worst-case scenario that I'm low on "the list"), but reading this gives me a little hope.
Hoping for both of us to get a call in April!!! :biglove:
 
I was in your same position and just wanted to give you hope that it can happen! Congrats on making it this far and hopefully you will receive a call!
Thank you! I haven't been on here for months (weird year), but after my interviews/decisions I started frantically searching for more info about wait lists--it's super reassuring to see others' experiences with it at OkSU!
Hoping for both of us to get a call in April!!! :biglove:

Yes!! Sucks having to wait in suspense yet another month though! (or possibly even longer..just hopefully not one of those "called 2 weeks before semester starts" situations, lmao)

I also feel kind of weird that since there was no interview, the last school I'm still in the running for is one I've never seen...I most likely won't be able to attend the open house.
 
Thank you! I haven't been on here for months (weird year), but after my interviews/decisions I started frantically searching for more info about wait lists--it's super reassuring to see others' experiences with it at OkSU!


Yes!! Sucks having to wait in suspense yet another month though! (or possibly even longer..just hopefully not one of those "called 2 weeks before semester starts" situations, lmao)

I also feel kind of weird that since there was no interview, the last school I'm still in the running for is one I've never seen...I most likely won't be able to attend the open house.

Was at the school yesterday for a private little tour, Thank you Alexis 🙂 anyways it is nice so I wouldn’t worry about not seeing it before hand. Plus everyone was super nice that I talked to and the town itself had the small town feel to it.
 
Was at the school yesterday for a private little tour, Thank you Alexis 🙂 anyways it is nice so I wouldn’t worry about not seeing it before hand. Plus everyone was super nice that I talked to and the town itself had the small town feel to it.
That reminds me! The nice thing about OKState is how close the classes can be and how friendly the people are. For instance, your tour guide is in a different year than I am, but I know exactly who she is. The small town atmosphere is still present in the school itself, whether it’s in the students or the faculty.
 
Yes!! Sucks having to wait in suspense yet another month though! (or possibly even longer..just hopefully not one of those "called 2 weeks before semester starts" situations, lmao)

I also feel kind of weird that since there was no interview, the last school I'm still in the running for is one I've never seen...I most likely won't be able to attend the open house.
Yeah, two of the three schools I’m still on waitlists for I have never seen either. I will be able to go to oksu’s open house next month though so if you have anything you wanted asked at the info session/q&a let me know! If not, I’m sure anyone on sdn could answer most questions you had
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be at open house too! But I'm just taking the VIP tour instead of doing the q&a because I already am a student at OSU for undergrad and pretty familiar with the vet school. I will also be helping out with some club booths later in the day! Open house is a lot fun!
 
I'll be at open house too! But I'm just taking the VIP tour instead of doing the q&a because I already am a student at OSU for undergrad and pretty familiar with the vet school. I will also be helping out with some club booths later in the day! Open house is a lot fun!
Tbh I went to undergrad here and still found the Q&A session helpful, but whatever works for you! 🙂
 
I was advised to take the tour because the q&a was going to be general information for those who had never been to the school before. Plus the tour and info session are at the same time and I felt the tour would be more beneficial.
 
I was advised to take the tour because the q&a was going to be general information for those who had never been to the school before. Plus the tour and info session are at the same time and I felt the tour would be more beneficial.
Ahhh okay, when I did it, they did the tour after they did the info session so that they encouraged you to do both.
 
I was advised to take the tour because the q&a was going to be general information for those who had never been to the school before. Plus the tour and info session are at the same time and I felt the tour would be more beneficial.
The email I got about the open house made it seem like the tour and info session were not at the same time. How’d you find out they ARE at the same time?? (Also that seems like extremely terrible planning to have them at the same time because some people, myself included, will be coming into town specifically for the info session AND tour.)
 
Sorry I think I misunderstood the email, she said an optional VIP tour would be offered so I took that as being at the same time! We'll be more sure once the official timeline is sent out. And of course they would have a tour for everyone else I guess I thought there were two lol oops!
 
Hello everyone!
I am currently on the waitlist for OKS, but the emailed said theres a high probability I get accepted.
So, I have some questions just in case I have to make the decision within the 48 hours.

I plan on doing a residency after vet school (as of right now I want to do a small animal surgery residency).
Do OKS students typically get the residency program they want? Does anyone know where I can find/research this information?
Do y'all all like OKS, are they a good school for small animal veterinary medicine?
Lastly, what is everyone's opinion on taking a year off to go to a better (probably top 15) school instead of OKS, because I want to have the best chance of getting into a competitive residency? I am financially pretty well off so taking a year off would not be that detrimental to me.

Thank everyone, and go cowboys!
where you go to school isnt going to have much of an effect (if any) on whether you match to a residency program or not.
you are going to get a good education at any vet school no matter which one it is.


RaNkInGs DoN't MaTtErRrRr. some schools refuse to participate in them.

well, if you get accepted and decline the seat to try and apply again, theres a chance of you not getting in ANYWHERE next year. your choice on whether you want to take that chance. also, why did you apply to oksu if you wouldnt go there if accepted??
 
Lastly, what is everyone's opinion on taking a year off to go to a better (probably top 15) school instead of OKS, because I want to have the best chance of getting into a competitive residency?
:yeahright:

Ignoring that, we have a very good small animal veterinary medicine program, we produce excellent clinicians, and have a very high number of students who go into internships and residencies.
 
Hello everyone!
I am currently on the waitlist for OKS, but the emailed said theres a high probability I get accepted.
So, I have some questions just in case I have to make the decision within the 48 hours.

I plan on doing a residency after vet school (as of right now I want to do a small animal surgery residency).
Do OKS students typically get the residency program they want? Does anyone know where I can find/research this information?
Do y'all all like OKS, are they a good school for small animal veterinary medicine?
Lastly, what is everyone's opinion on taking a year off to go to a better (probably top 15) school instead of OKS, because I want to have the best chance of getting into a competitive residency? I am financially pretty well off so taking a year off would not be that detrimental to me.

Thank everyone, and go cowboys!

So you'll be looking for a rotating small animal internship once you graduate, because I'm pretty sure most of the surgery residency programs out there expect an internship to be completed first. I haven't heard of any students having trouble with that. Then, your residency depends a bit on references from vet school but also a bit on references from during your internship. There isn't going to be an official list anywhere, but lots of people in my class I know have gone on into residencies - ophtho, oncology, equine surgery, equine medicine, anatomic pathology, lab animal medicine for sure. I don't know if anyone in my class did small animal surgery, but I don't know that anyone wanted to.

Your ability to get a residency will have a lot more to do with your work ethic and your ability to seek out opportunities and network while you are in school. Any school is going to have a strong small animal program, and any school (with a teaching hospital) will have small animal surgeons on staff. The schools without teaching hospitals have ways for you to gain that experience and connect with surgeons as well, I'm sure.

I think I answered your first three questions. The fourth question - uh, huh, okay. Yeah, go ahead and turn down OKSU on account of the school's ranking. Make sure you mention in next year's application that that's why you turned down the acceptance. Wait, not the acceptance - the presumed acceptance from off the out of state waitlist. You're not even officially accepted yet, and you are considering turning down the acceptance because the school isn't good enough? Right. "Go Cowboys."

Hopefully you realize that:

1 - There's nothing wrong with OKSU, and whatever imaginary ranking you have in your head is pretty arbitrary - the US News & World Report rankings are confirmed bullcrap based on junk that doesn't matter and is based on a bunch of silly surveys they send out (which i'm sure have no bias whatsoever, har har)...
2 - For the price, you get a good education and go into a lot less debt than you would attending another school as an out of state student, which probably matters even if you are 'financially well off' - like the difference between $150k and $275k is insignificant? I doubt that.
3 - Asking if you should hold off to go to a BETTER school in the thread for the school you are considering turning down is kinda rude and won't garner an entirely kind response from the folks within that thread. But what do I know - I got a second rate education.
 
I think I answered your first three questions. The fourth question - uh, huh, okay. Yeah, go ahead and turn down OKSU on account of the school's ranking. Make sure you mention in next year's application that that's why you turned down the acceptance. Wait, not the acceptance - the presumed acceptance from off the out of state waitlist. You're not even officially accepted yet, and you are considering turning down the acceptance because the school isn't good enough? Right. "Go Cowboys."

Hopefully you realize that:

1 - There's nothing wrong with OKSU, and whatever imaginary ranking you have in your head is pretty arbitrary - the US News & World Report rankings are confirmed bullcrap based on junk that doesn't matter and is based on a bunch of silly surveys they send out (which i'm sure have no bias whatsoever, har har)...
2 - For the price, you get a good education and go into a lot less debt than you would attending another school as an out of state student, which probably matters even if you are 'financially well off' - like the difference between $150k and $275k is insignificant? I doubt that.
3 - Asking if you should hold off to go to a BETTER school in the thread for the school you are considering turning down is kinda rude and won't garner an entirely kind response from the folks within that thread. But what do I know - I got a second rate education.
****ing bless you TT for saying the things I never had the balls to say. Rude as hell. If you don’t want to come to a “lesser” school, don’t come. Our Vet School is a family in ways you can’t describe. We don’t need an OOS “I’ll probably get in but I don’t actually have an acceptance and if I get an acceptance I’ll probably turn my nose down on the offer for a better school” coming in and ****ting on it.
 
Just popping on to add my 2 cents. Rankings don't matter, even here where they shove it everyone's face how awesome our school is. Yeah it's awesome, so are other places! Whenever it's mentioned anyone in the nearby vicinity rolls their eyes and grumbles (faculty included). The important take away is to be respectful because we are all going to be working in the same profession and we will all be colleagues. I tend to give everyone a little leeway because in other professions, rankings DO matter and they might just not know. I've heard if you go to law school but not a top 40 ranked school (or whatever) it's hard to find a job afterwards. So hey, @jj384jj it's ok, getting accepted anywhere is a huge accomplishment and you should be proud! Rankings aren't like other fields, and we are all a community in vet med and once we're in we can cut the competitive BS because it won't help us anymore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is easy to fall into the rankings matter trap when not exposed to those in the know. This site is fantastic for learning that the things prevets focus on are actually not that important in the long run. Rankings and the concern over "hands on" pops up every year. Every vet school will provide ample opportunities and the base knowledge needed to be a vet. From there, it is the person who determines how much or how little extra exposure to various experiences they want.
 
Oh, and I have one old classmate that just got a SA Surgery residency after a rotating and another from class above that was also successful in getting an academic residency, so as mentioned, no issues will ever be had if you work hard, get the connections and have the aptitude for a specialty of any kind. I think we are two years in a row getting 100% pass on NAVLE as well.
 
Just a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to online or here:

Are the lecture halls fairly computer friendly? Access to plugins and internet?

Is there a dress code? Everywhere else seemed to have some variation on the dress code theme.

Do I need to buy a microscope and/or stethoscope now or wait?

I know one of the school's big areas of interest is exercise phys. How much exposure/interaction do you get to do with that field? Canine sports med and ortho and equine to an extent are what I'm interested in and one of the reasons OKSU is my top choice.
 
Just a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to online or here:

Are the lecture halls fairly computer friendly? Access to plugins and internet?

Is there a dress code? Everywhere else seemed to have some variation on the dress code theme.

Do I need to buy a microscope and/or stethoscope now or wait?

I know one of the school's big areas of interest is exercise phys. How much exposure/interaction do you get to do with that field? Canine sports med and ortho and equine to an extent are what I'm interested in and one of the reasons OKSU is my top choice.
I've never had a computer plug in problem and internet access is throughout the school and in the hospital. No dress code other than don't look like a complete slob. No on the microscope, and stethoscope is up to you really. They usually have community ones available for first year activities, or at least did when I passed through x years ago, and you can always drop by our cardio prof's office and he has a drawer full for students to try out before making a decision. If you have access to a vet, you can always ask to try out whats around as well. Some really just work better for certain ears. 🙂
 
Just a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to online or here:

Are the lecture halls fairly computer friendly? Access to plugins and internet?

Is there a dress code? Everywhere else seemed to have some variation on the dress code theme.

Do I need to buy a microscope and/or stethoscope now or wait?

I know one of the school's big areas of interest is exercise phys. How much exposure/interaction do you get to do with that field? Canine sports med and ortho and equine to an extent are what I'm interested in and one of the reasons OKSU is my top choice.
And the second part, that is also entirely up to you. OK is very open in that if you have interest, jump in.