Oregon State C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into oregon out of state and while I have not decided where I am going to school I thought we should start a thread for Oregon. Oregon gets very little attention on this forum and I have not read much about it from current students and those who have visited the school. If anyone can comment on the program or surrounding area etc I would appreciate it.

The main reason I applied to Oregon is because of the very small class size. I highly value time with professors and getting hands on contact with patients. I thought with the small classes, I would be afforded more attention from faculty and get to perform more procedures. However, I am not sure if that is the case.

Anything would be appreciated

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh no... I thought I had a few more weeks until I needed to worry. Oregon State is my IS, and it is the only school that I applied to this cycle. I noticed that only OOS students have been notified so far so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned yet.

I absolutely love Oregon State College of Veterinary Medicine. I have done all of my undergrad studies at OSU, so I have been able to tour the vet school multiple times. All of the staff is super friendly and I love the idea of small class sizes.

Time to bake cookies to relieve some stress!

~PVB

Do you think they sent out all the OOS acceptances? It was really odd, because I asked admissions when we'd be hearing and she said sometime in feb. and then the next day you all heard!!! Gah!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into oregon out of state and while I have not decided where I am going to school I thought we should start a thread for Oregon. Oregon gets very little attention on this forum and I have not read much about it from current students and those who have visited the school. If anyone can comment on the program or surrounding area etc I would appreciate it.

The main reason I applied to Oregon is because of the very small class size. I highly value time with professors and getting hands on contact with patients. I thought with the small classes, I would be afforded more attention from faculty and get to perform more procedures. However, I am not sure if that is the case.

Anything would be appreciated

Thank you!

Just wondering the GRE, GPAs, etc of those that got accepted....

TigerWillow, I haven't heard anything from Oregon State either and I am OOS. I thought February was when we would start hearing from them. Seeing that people are starting to get acceptance emails makes me nervous every time I open my email. I guessing we can look at it as we are still in the running because we didn't get rejection emails or anything.

Im OOS and I havnt heard anything either. They are probably sifting through their top applicants right now. Im gonna call tomorrow and see whats up with how they are running admissions this year. I want to see when they intend to contact other OOS applicants... If things dont sound good I might consider implementing my plan B.

Just out of curiosity, has any OOS applicants gone to tour the college this year or people waiting until they have been accepted to the program?

I toured the college this year. I'm not expecting much. They don't accept a whole lot of OOS, so I don't see any reason for them to split up the e-mails... :( kinda bummed about it because I loved OSU when I visited. I'd so kill to go there :(

I also was accepted as an 'Out-of-Stater'.

Does anyone know if they have a prospective student's day?

I was accepted 1/13 as an OOS student. I have no idea whether they're done with OOS acceptances or not, but good luck to everyone who still has yet to hear!

I have yet to actually visit the vet school, as I'm from Oklahoma and the cost to fly is pricey. I might take a road trip over my spring break to tour the vet school and sit in on some classes (this works for me because Oregon State's spring break is a week after mine).

I've also heard very little about Oregon State on this forum, and I'm interested to hear more. I applied to Oregon State because the college seems very committed to natural resources (my bachelor's is in wildlife ecology) and the small class is very appealing. I've also visited Oregon once, two summers ago, and it was definitely the most beautiful state I've been to. The people are also incredibly friendly! So despite the fact that I have yet to see the facilities, I'm still pretty positive I'm going to end up attending Oregon State.

Just wondering the GRE, GPAs, etc of those that got accepted....

My GPA is 3.708 and my overall GRE is 1210 (590 verbal, 620 quant). I feel like those are pretty average among applicants. I think my strong point was honestly my application (I really like my personal statement and I've got some pretty diverse experience) but it was still a huge surprise to see the acceptance email in my inbox. I had to read the first line 5 times through to realize that it wasn't a reminder for fall transcripts (like I expected) haha.

Still, good luck everyone! I hope you get to be surprised by an email in your inbox just like I was!

I just read the C/O 2015 & 2014 threads - maybe these will be of help to you all still waiting to hear from Oregon.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776415&highlight=oregon+state+university

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=681632&highlight=Oregon

A notable post from the C/O 2015 thread:

I'm sorry, nonresidents who haven't received an acceptance, to post this. Poop.

I just emailed the admissions office asking about the offers for OOS applicants, and was informed that all the first round offers for nonresident positions have been sent out. Last year, the college did not pick from the alternate pool because there were 62 initial offers for 16 spots, all of which were filled by the first round applicants. This year there were 63 initial offers for the same 16 spots, and they have not yet created the alternate pool.

They said the official decisions would be sent out next week.

Congratulations :love: to everyone who's been offered a spot! It looks like I, at least, won't be joining you.:(

This initially made me very nervous, because although I sent in my acceptance the same day I got my email, knowing that I'm competing with ~63 others is scary! However, as I read on in the threads it seems like several people who were placed on the wait-list were later accepted. So I'm not sure if the info that all 16 spots in C/O 2014 were filled by the first-round offers is accurate (unless first-round wait-listers are included in that...) So from what I gather by reading these threads, if you're initially accepted you're pretty much guaranteed a spot, and if you're placed as an alternate DON'T LOSE HOPE! :) :xf: :) You can do it!

Reading those threads just made me realize I never got an "application is complete" email. I got a "supplemental application received" email. So now I am worried, I mean I can assume that everything was okay, but just in case I emailed Holly, though if it never was complete (for some strange reason) then it doesn't do any good anyways.

I also was accepted as an 'Out-of-Stater'.

Does anyone know if they have a prospective student's day?

I don't believe we have an actual prospective student's day, but they do organize tours, etc. on the days they interview the in-state applicants...you could ask about touring that day. Patrick is also able to give individual tours or arrange one with a student tour guide if you ask for one.

I don't believe we have an actual prospective student's day, but they do organize tours, etc. on the days they interview the in-state applicants...you could ask about touring that day. Patrick is also able to give individual tours or arrange one with a student tour guide if you ask for one.
Thanks for the reply! I am already planning my visit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Oregon is done sending out OOS acceptances? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything

Wildlife woman, I don't think they have sent out their alternate acceptances for OOS. I saw on the Official Rejections thread that at least some rejections for OOS were sent out on Friday. This waiting game is crazy.

I wanted to bump this thread and ask again if any current students have any information on whether or not the small class size will increase the amount of hands on experience for students at Oregon. I have gotten into a few other programs that are cheaper but the class is twice or more and on the interview they said that for example in the anatomy labs there are groups of ten on each animal, which concened me.

Thanks!

I wanted to bump this thread and ask again if any current students have any information on whether or not the small class size will increase the amount of hands on experience for students at Oregon. I have gotten into a few other programs that are cheaper but the class is twice or more and on the interview they said that for example in the anatomy labs there are groups of ten on each animal, which concened me.

Thanks!

I dont go to school there but, I went on a tour and learned a little about the anatomy labs.

So the school does have smaller lab groups of ~4. They share a small animal but when it comes to large animals they handle it differently. I think I remember them saying they designate sections of an animal to the groups. Then everyone goes around and views the other groups work to see other sections. They didnt sound like they have a great deal of diversity in the species of their cadaver selection. So I think the group size is trade off with what you are potentially going to see in the lab.

Additionally, I really like the small class size and the academic environment at OSU. However, I think it is important to remember that the teaching hospital is small and tries not to compete with local practices ... so you should also anticipate a smaller case load ... but they have better teacher mentorship (because the teacher:student ratio is good), which means you will still receive very good guidance for those cases during clinical rotations.

Money is no small issue, so if your heart isn't set on this program and you have other great schools to chose from that wont cost you as much $$$$ ... then that is something to think about too.

Thanks!

Obviously, I can't tell you about other schools, so I can't really say if we get MORE hands on experience, but I can tell you what we do get. I do think that we generally have smaller group sizes for anatomy than other schools (4 per group) and perhaps for classes with clinical/hands-on labs. As far as caseload goes in the hospital, it depends on what you're interested in (and keep in mind I'm a third year, so I don't know all the details on the hospital caseloads). The small animal hospital is currently a referral only hospital (with the exception of student's own animals), so if emergency is your thing, you won't see much of that in the small animal hospital. In terms of large animal, we have had a decreased caseload lately due to the economy, but that's true everywhere. The large animal hospital does try to price things so that clients are willing and able to bring in their animals, however. We have a rural/ambulatory service that everyone spends a rotation on, so you'll see both primary and referal large animal cases. In terms of surgery experience, I do think we get quite a bit more than a lot of schools--everyone spends at least 2 weeks living and working at the Oregon Humane Society, and people average around 80 spays/neuters (or that's the number I've heard through the grapevine). They also get a lot of primary care experience there also.

I dont go to school there but, I went on a tour and learned a little about the anatomy labs.

So the school does have smaller lab groups of ~4. They share a small animal but when it comes to large animals they handle it differently. I think I remember them saying they designate sections of an animal to the groups. Then everyone goes around and views the other groups work to see other sections. They didnt sound like they have a great deal of diversity in the species of their cadaver selection. So I think the group size is trade off with what you are potentially going to see in the lab.

Additionally, I really like the small class size and the academic environment at OSU. However, I think it is important to remember that the teaching hospital is small and tries not to compete with local practices ... so you should also anticipate a smaller case load ... but they have better teacher mentorship (because the teacher:student ratio is good), which means you will still receive very good guidance for those cases during clinical rotations.

Money is no small issue, so if your heart isn't set on this program and you have other great schools to chose from that wont cost you as much $$$$ ... then that is something to think about too.

Anatomy groups have 4 people (and I have to say that we have an amazing anatomy lab, as far as vet schools go). In the fall quarter, each day every group has a dog and a cat to work on. In the winter quarter, you do pocket pets, birds, marine mammals, and start large animal osteology. In the spring quarter, each day each group works on half of either a horse or a cow (they hang on frames, so you work on the R or L side of that animal) and also gets a small ruminant. Each group DOES get to work on every section/system of each animal. The only species we don't really cover in lab are swine and camelids. You do get lectures on them though (and the anatomy professor is awesome, as are her lecture notes). My understanding is that the reason we are referral-only in the small animal hospital is that because it is fairly new (compared to the large animal hospital), we are currently under a non-compete with local private practices...I believe for a couple more years.

All that being said, I agree with the statement above about money...let's be honest. The economy sucks. The job market in most desirable areas is saturated with vets, and why hire a new grad when you can hire someone with a couple years of experience? New grads are often having a difficult time finding a job. The amount of debt we're all going to owe (even as an in-state student) is huge, and it's hard to pay off if you can't get a job. All vet schools are going to educate you to be at least a decent, if not great, vet. If you can lower your total debt by going to a cheaper school, do it.

Obviously, I can't tell you about other schools, so I can't really say if we get MORE hands on experience, but I can tell you what we do get. I do think that we generally have smaller group sizes for anatomy than other schools (4 per group) and perhaps for classes with clinical/hands-on labs. As far as caseload goes in the hospital, it depends on what you're interested in (and keep in mind I'm a third year, so I don't know all the details on the hospital caseloads). The small animal hospital is currently a referral only hospital (with the exception of student's own animals), so if emergency is your thing, you won't see much of that in the small animal hospital. In terms of large animal, we have had a decreased caseload lately due to the economy, but that's true everywhere. The large animal hospital does try to price things so that clients are willing and able to bring in their animals, however. We have a rural/ambulatory service that everyone spends a rotation on, so you'll see both primary and referal large animal cases. In terms of surgery experience, I do think we get quite a bit more than a lot of schools--everyone spends at least 2 weeks living and working at the Oregon Humane Society, and people average around 80 spays/neuters (or that's the number I've heard through the grapevine). They also get a lot of primary care experience there also.

Anatomy groups have 4 people (and I have to say that we have an amazing anatomy lab, as far as vet schools go). In the fall quarter, each day every group has a dog and a cat to work on. In the winter quarter, you do pocket pets, birds, marine mammals, and start large animal osteology. In the spring quarter, each day each group works on half of either a horse or a cow (they hang on frames, so you work on the R or L side of that animal) and also gets a small ruminant. Each group DOES get to work on every section/system of each animal. The only species we don't really cover in lab are swine and camelids. You do get lectures on them though (and the anatomy professor is awesome, as are her lecture notes). My understanding is that the reason we are referral-only in the small animal hospital is that because it is fairly new (compared to the large animal hospital), we are currently under a non-compete with local private practices...I believe for a couple more years.

All that being said, I agree with the statement above about money...let's be honest. The economy sucks. The job market in most desirable areas is saturated with vets, and why hire a new grad when you can hire someone with a couple years of experience? New grads are often having a difficult time finding a job. The amount of debt we're all going to owe (even as an in-state student) is huge, and it's hard to pay off if you can't get a job. All vet schools are going to educate you to be at least a decent, if not great, vet. If you can lower your total debt by going to a cheaper school, do it.

Hey thanks for giving more info in the lab :) I liked the way it was set up but when I asked more about what species they looked at and how things were run, I didn't get that complete/thorough of an answer. Its good to hear something directly from an OSU student. I have only gotten to talk w a few people at the vet school (but none of them were students).

No problem, Virginger...I'm a tour guide, and we get asked about the anatomy lab a lot.

Thanks for the info ORvet. I am definetly all about large animals (equine and ruminants), so that caseload is important to me. I guess I just really value hands on experience above everything else. While the caseload might be higher at the other schools I got into, I will also have a class two or more times larger to compete with, so I have to take the class size and caseload into consideration. The rural medicine program interests me.

Again, I do appreciate the info, I have not seen much about Oregon on here.

Yay! I'm an alternate. I'm so excited but I'm wondering what my chances are. Does anyone know what my chances are? From what Ive heard it's not that great of a chance but just wondering if anyone knows anything.

I am an alternate! Just got the email! Super excited to still be considered.

Wildlife woman, it is hard to tell. We could have a really good chance of getting in if people decide to go elsewhere or something, or low chances if they don't. I am just excited to still be considered instead of a rejection. It is a nice message of "we want you, just don't know where to put you"

I'm Waitlisted! ... the best news I have gotten yet :) I am beyond excited!!!!

Ack!!!! I'm on the waitlist also!!!!

TigerWillow, wldlfstdnt, and Wildlife woman ... its pretty exciting!

I hope some seats open up for us... this probably my only chance at getting in this year.

:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf:

I'm wait-listed too!! I'm sooooooo excited though! I went down to tour Oregon State and absolutely fell in love with the campus and the vet school!! I really hope some spots open up for us :) Congrats to everyone who's gotten in so far and to my fellow wait-listers!

Hey everyone!! My stupid med friend just told me that Corvallis is very dangerous (he read about that on college football forums). Now I totally didn't get that feelig when I was researching about the city, and I've lived in scary places before. For everyone whose visited, is it a scary place?? I can't picture this at all from everyone whose said they loved it.

Still stoked to be waitlisted!!!

Hey everyone!! My stupid med friend just told me that Corvallis is very dangerous (he read about that on college football forums). Now I totally didn't get that feelig when I was researching about the city, and I've lived in scary places before. For everyone whose visited, is it a scary place?? I can't picture this at all from everyone whose said they loved it.

The town seemed nice when I visited. I went to a dive bar over the break and saw some interesting characters... but thats probably not a fair place or time to make a judgement. :laugh:

I went looking at rental properties while I was there too and there is a big problem with housing in the area. The undergraduate population has increased by 10,000 and local housing has only increased to hold an additional 2,000 students. So cost of living is rising substantially. Even the property managers I talked to seemed stressed out about the flood of students they have been receiving. I worried that hearing an offer later on might land me in a noisy undergad community or somewhere where I would have to make a commute. I was hoping to be able to bike to class.

Does anyone know if they over accepted like last year and then have the wait-list on top of that? I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but it would be nice to know what my chances are

They did say in my acceptance letter that they over accepted for out of state students.

I live in Albany (town next door) but I commute to Corvallis every day. It is an absolutely safe town. That doesn't mean to not be smart when you're walking somewhere alone at night, but I've been here for awhile and I think Corvallis is FAR from dangerous - just don't ask for trouble like leaving your car unlocked with an ipod sitting on the front seat.

In regards to the Corvallis housing crunch - yeah, it exists and it's awful, and that's why I'm living in Albany. I have a far nicer apartment for significantly less money, but the tradeoff is a 30 minute commute. However, you can find a place to live in Corvallis, you just need to search proactively well in advance of moving here and don't expect a deal.

I live in Albany (town next door) but I commute to Corvallis every day. It is an absolutely safe town. That doesn't mean to not be smart when you're walking somewhere alone at night, but I've been here for awhile and I think Corvallis is FAR from dangerous - just don't ask for trouble like leaving your car unlocked with an ipod sitting on the front seat.

In regards to the Corvallis housing crunch - yeah, it exists and it's awful, and that's why I'm living in Albany. I have a far nicer apartment for significantly less money, but the tradeoff is a 30 minute commute. However, you can find a place to live in Corvallis, you just need to search proactively well in advance of moving here and don't expect a deal.

Yup, I agree with this. Calling Corvallis dangerous is ridiculous - just take the precautions you would anywhere else. :thumbup:

When do we learn what number we are on the waitlist as alternates?

Virginger, wouldn't it be great it we all got accepted off of the alternate list! Sigh....

When do we learn what number we are on the waitlist as alternates?

Already a step ahead of you guys... remember you have to tell them you WANT to remain on the alternate list!!!! I did... at 12 am last night.. I didn't realize this and had fwd the email to my mom outta excitement.. and she had to tell me to do this!!!

anyways, i digress. Here's what Holly sent me (hope she doesn't mind I'm posting this):

You could potentially receive an offer anytime between now and September. We do not list or rank our alternates in the pool as the numbers at this time change daily as some alternates accept other offers from other schools and withdraw from the pool and others confirm interest. When an opening arises that we need to go to the Alternate Pool, the committee will pull a few files that fit the position. They will go over the reviewers’ notes and will look over the file together and check all the updates, any notifications you may have submitted to your file and look over your Fall transcripts.

Yeah, I called Holly as soon as I got the email. I might send her a quick email just so there is documentation that I want to be in the pool.

Yeah, I am def rooting for every on here! I think their admissions process go to great lengths to pick out great applicants.

From what I know, last year's entering class was 55 instead of 57... they didnt fill their OOS for some reason (also, it "appears" they accepted 2 additional ISer's but I dont know at what $$ rate, I would like to note Colorado did that but the additional students paid full-freight)... What I worry about is that I have yet to see a SDNer post that they made it off of the OOS waitlist for Oregon State... so I am not sure when things happen as far as bumping people off of waitlist. I would also like to note that many people who are OOS have offers at other schools, many times its their IS school... so maybe that will work in our favor.

I really hope that the other applicants had very successful year, lol. I do appreciate Oregon State for seriously looking at us because they take a holistic approach to applications. At the end of the day they see the value in us as potential veterinarians.

Just out of curiosity, what did people list as their primary interest? I feel like Oregon State appeals to many different focuses as far as SA, wildlife, LA, and etc.

I will start...

Virginger: research/leaning towards SA and public health

TigerWillow: SA and public outreach, leaning towards surgery. Also interest in wildlife medicine

TigerWillow: SA and public outreach, leaning towards surgery. Also interest in wildlife medicine

DrSabes2016: research (2 diverse fields: application of human sport medicine; marine animal conservation --- OSU is PERFECT for both!!! :) ).

DrSabes2016: research (2 diverse fields: application of human sport medicine; marine animal conservation --- OSU is PERFECT for both!!! :) ).

Wldlfstdnt: Wildlife (love wildlife rehabilitation), and also I like SA shelter medicine.

DrSabes2016: research (2 diverse fields: application of human sport medicine; marine animal conservation --- OSU is PERFECT for both!!! ).

Wldlfstdnt: Wildlife (love wildlife rehabilitation), and also I like SA shelter medicine.

Kanderson615: Exotics/wildlife and theriogenology.

DrSabes2016: research (2 diverse fields: application of human sport medicine; marine animal conservation --- OSU is PERFECT for both!!! ).

Kanderson615: Exotics/wildlife and theriogenology.

Wildlife woman: apparently wldlfstdnt and I are long lost twins as I am also interested in wildlife medicine with an emphasis on rehab and also SA. I am also from northern California. I wonder if we have ever met?

I like the students the program seems to draw in. There is def a wild life theme, which is cool :). I have never seen any opportunities to become involved w/ wild life care, I bet it is a lot of fun and hard work.

I hope to see us move off of the list.

This is my personal first choice program, saying that I am "over joyed" to be on the waitlist for a seat is an understatement.

... the wait is going to drive me nuts.

Wildlife woman, that would be crazy if we have met before. Where in norcal?

Virginger, I know! I hope it isn't too long of a wait. I think a lot of people will start making decisions in March and I hope we all hear from OSU soon.

I love that we are all interested in wildlife! haha let's just start our own school and focus on that :)

in reality... let's just hope we all get in so that we can all join the various wildlife/zoo clubs! we're soooo close to vet school!!

Yes, I have a feeling there will be no issues filling up that club! :laugh: