This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kasper1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the idea: let's try something slightly different this year.

Instead of only a list of usernames and acceptances, it occurred to me that a few years ago, I would have loved to see people say what they thought were their reasons they couldn't get accepted and/or shouldn't try. What did you have to overcome? And likewise, what are the top things you feel helped you? I might also put my LizzyM and date of acceptances/anything particularly noteworthy about the acceptance. Personally, so far, I have one acceptance, but I will continue to update if I get any more!

No need for copy/paste. You can add posts or edit your first post as you wish with any further acceptances.

This is also a place to talk about future plans. My hope, most of all, is that this will be a thread that encourages and excites others in the future.

I'll start:

LizzyM: 68

Overcame:
1) Did not do well during my freshman year of college at all, with a freshmen year GPA of 2.5.
2) Suffered from chronic anxiety throughout college.
3) Was utterly terrified of being in debt.

Helped me:
1) I applied widely and carefully, looking at my stats and making sure that I wasn't throwing money away on false hopes.
2) I decided to conquer my anxiety by saying, "screw it", and became an EMT. It quickly taught me how to handle medically stressful situations in a calm and controlled manner. If you really want to see if healthcare is truly the right field for you, become an EMT. You'll find out very quickly if you like what a healthcare career field entails! I also became a leader in my EMS organization and used my gap year to gain some clinical exposure inside a hospital setting by working as an Emergency Department Scribe.
3) Despite our simple and middle class background, I had my family's full emotional and financial support behind me. I also formed a very supportive friend group that helped each other through any and every hardship. This really allowed me to pursue this road wholeheartedly, and any medical acceptance of mine is completely due to the friends and family that I had by my side.

Accepted:
Midwestern University College of Osteopathic Medicine [MWU-CCOM], (09/29).

Members don't see this ad.

Username: JB50
Acceptance: DMU-COM

oh wait i missed something.
LizzyM 68.5 lololololol ily opie

Username: JB50
Acceptance: DMU-COM

oh wait i missed something.
LizzyM 68.5 lololololol ily opie

Lolol I know I asked a lot, it's a lot of writing, I was just trying to suggest doing something a little different. Anyways, congratulations on getting into DMU-COM!!! =)