OSU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimber

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you been accepted to OSU-COM? I will be applying there this fall, and I was curious as to the general opinion of this medical school in the Lounge.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kimber. I am glad someone finally mentioned OSU-COM. I will be starting there this fall. I have been totally blown away by the school. Last August I applied to OSU and OU's med schools, and at that time OSU was my second choice. However, after my interview at OSU I almost canceled my interview with OU, because I was so impressed with the school. What impressed me most about OSU-COM was the students. They were very intuitive, and mature. I did interview at OU, but I didn't leave there with the same enthusiasm for medicine as I did after visiting OSU-COM.

As far as facilities are concerned, everything is fairly new, and they have a large computer lab. The campus is beautiful, and Tulsa is a great city.

Anyway, good luck with your application!

Derek
OSU-COM 2003

Derek,
I just noticed your comment about students being more mature at OSU. I have interviewed at many MD & DO schools over the last two application tries and I have noticed that students at the DO schools tend to be a little more mature overall than the students at the MD schools. This is by no means a knock on MD schools or their students. I think this maturity at the DO schools is a reflection of the type of people DO schools accept. The students are usually a little older, have more life experience (medical & non-medical), and tend to overall have more of a patient-centered philosophy. Of course there are exceptions at either medical branches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Derek-thank you for your response. I really think OSU-COM is the med school for me, and it was nice to read what you posted. How was your interview? Also, did you meet very many members of the faculty, and what was your impression? I will be taking a tour of the campus in a few weeks, but even without seeing the campus myself, I have heard it is a great school from the doctors I know that went there. Good Luck!

The interview was very relaxed, and was conducted by two alumni (one an ER doc, and the other internal med). Neither of them got into the philosophies of osteopathic medicine, but instead wanted to know what I thought a good doctor was, and why I thought I would make a good doc. Both of them left me feeling more inspired than intimidated.

Two friends of mine are MD's and before I interviewed at either school both said that they considered OSU-COM the best med school in Oklahoma right now. One because he thinks that OU's teaching hospital may have problems since it is becoming a member of a managed health care system. The other's reason was that he had worked with several DO's in small communities, and thought that they excelled in small communities with limited resources.

If you get a chance, try to tour the school when the semester starts so that you can meet some of the students. Everytime I've visited I have found the people very helpful and willing to show me around.

Later,
Derek

[This message has been edited by av8r (edited June 10, 1999).]