OT: SDN - Book Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rhino did you finish GWTDT?

i started the second book of the trilogy, The Girl Who Played With Fire yesterday and it's even better than the first book.
 
rhino did you finish GWTDT?

i started the second book of the trilogy, The Girl Who Played With Fire yesterday and it's even better than the first book.

No, not yet! My summer is busier then I expected, I don't have as much down time as I'd hoped (But I can't complain cause I love my job!) But I will hopefully have it finished soon! So far I like it, but the first 100 pages I found a little slow. It is starting to get interesting!
I haven't even finished the first book yet and I've already bought the next two!

I'm glad all of you who've read it liked it!! Have any of you seen the movie yet? I can't wait to see it but I NEED to finish the book first!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far I like it, but the first 100 pages I found a little slow. It is starting to get interesting!


I'm glad all of you who've read it liked it!! Have any of you seen the movie yet? I can't wait to see it but I NEED to finish the book first!

the first few chapters were REALLY slow for me, but it gets sooooo good. i haven't seen the movie, i missed it while it was in my city. i've been looking to find somewhere to rent it.
 
Sorry, I'm way behind on this thread! But I'm almost done with summer school so I thought I should check it out since I'll have time in a few days (I'm also procrastinating epically).

silymnd said:
In the process of reading All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. Probably all pre-vets should read it. It's a classic!

I had all 4 of those so memorized when I was a small child that I would read the first sentence of a story and be like "eh, I don't feel like reading that one tonight." I will also someday have a black cat named Moses. I also have a telegram from James Herriot in the front cover of my All Creatures Great and Small because the book was my Grandma's from when it was first released and she wrote him!

I'm currently in the middle of "Mountains Beyond Mountains" and I'd say it's pretty good.

Mountains beyond Mountains is FABULOUS. I actually had to read it for class and finished it about a week ahead of schedule. Everyone in my family has read it now and my Dad recommends it to EVERYONE he talks to. Really fascinating.

I'm also a really big fan of Jodi Picoult. Really interesting novels that make you really think about the issue she's discussing. I have read a LOT of her books.
 
Last edited:
I love Jodi Picoult. Fiction that isn't mindless = my cup of tea.

I also LOVE Ishmael. I think it's my favorite book. Really opened my eyes to a new way of thinking.
 
I also have a telegram from James Herriot in the front cover of my All Creatures Great and Small because the book was my Grandma's from when it was first released and she wrote him!

That is so awesome!! I wish my old books had something that cool in them...plus it's a Herriot book, I love James Herriot's books! I think I am going to read a few of those this summer unless I get to the bookstore and look for the other books that everyone has suggested.
I love the idea of a book club if it would work out, otherwise I'll just try to find some of the title's mentioned.
 
His biography is pretty interesting too. It's written by his son, and doesn't have quite the same level of writing, but it's still a good read. Has some stuff that the books don't cover (like his vet school days and what not).
 
Did you know that Nick Trout has come out with a second book, Love is the Best Medicine? I'm excited!!
 
Just finished "Water for Elephants". The book was recommended to me by a friend who though I would appreciate the fact that the main character is a "veterinarian." Um, yeah. Not taking book advice from that friend ever again. This book was the literary equivalent of a Lifetime channel movie.
 
Just finished "Water for Elephants". The book was recommended to me by a friend who though I would appreciate the fact that the main character is a "veterinarian." Um, yeah. Not taking book advice from that friend ever again. This book was the literary equivalent of a Lifetime channel movie.

i ALMOST bought this eBook but had a weird feeling that i would hate it. sounds like i was right. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well now i'm confused lol.

Well, okay, I'll tell you the truth about why I read it. The veterinarian in the book went to Cornell, and I went there for undergrad. Now they're making a movie out of it, and Robert Pattinson is playing the veterinarian, and he's been filming up in Ithaca on campus. I have a major crush on Robert Pattinson, so I read the book. He's super hot and is walking around on the same ground I did. 😀 Hahaha...it's not bad! It's sad and has a few sappy romantic parts. It depends on what you like. Would I read it again? Nah..
 
I'm having a hard time fighting back the waves of nausea...

Hahaha.

I do like Robert Pattinson, but it is hard to picture him playing a vet. And how is Reese Witherspoon going to be in it with him? Maybe someone didn't notice the age difference between them? I just read Water for Elephants and I liked it. It wasn't the greatest book ever, and I probably wouldn't read it again, but I did like it.
 
He's super hot.

Uh.... huh.... :eyebrow: I don't think you want to know what I think he looks like...

So anyway, I read Zoo Story by Thomas French a few months ago; it was an interesting read. Otherwise I haven't read that much new stuff lately... I vaguely remember reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley (it was only meh to so-so) and starting Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs (it was well-written but I couldn't get into it. I never finished it).
 
I liked "Water for Elephants" but I do agree that I'm having trouble picturing Robert Pattinson as the main character.....I'm actually having even more trouble picturing Reese Witherspoon as the main girl, though.
 
Animal-related but not so much veterinary.. I've been reading a few of those books with the famous research animals, they are really thought provoking. Alex and Me was good, and now I'm reading Nim Chimsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human. Other animal-y books I've read in the last few months are The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and The Elephant Keeper, among others that have been mentioned on here. A Different Nature is an interesting (though incredibly biased) book on zoos that I read for class.
 
I liked "Water for Elephants" but I do agree that I'm having trouble picturing Robert Pattinson as the main character.....I'm actually having even more trouble picturing Reese Witherspoon as the main girl, though.

Actually, I can totally see Reese Witherspoon in that role-- she's small and dainty and I think she's supposed to be a little older than the main protagonist anyway. If you've ever seen her in "Vanity Fair" you can see what the studio casting people were thinking...
 
For anyone into horses, check out "In Service to the Horse: Chronicles of a Labor of Love" by Susan Nusser. I didn't like the title but it's basically about the day to day lives of three different horse grooms - one involved in a Thoroughbred breeding operation, one in a hunter / jumper show barn, and one on Karen and David O' Connor's eventing training farm in VA. I thought it was amazing.

Also, did anyone get into the Redwall series as a kid? I remember loving it and talking about sci fi / fantasy just reminded me of those books 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey fellow SDN book clubers!

I finally finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!! I really liked it! I felt the beginning dragged on a little bit, but I'm glad it got better!

How is the rest of your summer reading going? I just started reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.
 
I LOVED Rood and Riddle's Equine ER book, kind of like an equine version of Nick Trout's book. Great!!
 
Hey fellow SDN book clubers!

I finally finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!! I really liked it! I felt the beginning dragged on a little bit, but I'm glad it got better!

How is the rest of your summer reading going? I just started reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

I started reading "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", but I'm finding it a little bit slow and am having trouble getting into it. But I've heard from so many people and you guys that it's good. So I'm gonna try to get more into it.
 
I'm waiting to get Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I almost never buy books, so I'm on the long waiting list for a library copy. Since June, I've moved about 200 spots... only 50 more to go!
 
Hrm, anyone interested in book exchanges?

I know there's a website that does it. No idea what it is off hand though but it's out there, so you might look into that too.
 
I'm waiting to get Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I almost never buy books, so I'm on the long waiting list for a library copy. Since June, I've moved about 200 spots... only 50 more to go!

You should look into a used book store! It's so practical to sell your books once you've read them and to buy used ones. I found a used book store I really love and I like going there so much more than barnes & nobles/borders.
 
I just downloaded Vetting: The making of a veterinarian. It got good reviews on amazon. Has anyone else read it?
 
wow. just finished nick trout's second book, love is the best medicine. funny how i picked it up at this current juncture in my life dealing with a lot of pet loss at work, not realizing at all the direction that the book would take. it's a really good read and i devoured it - doesn't have as much medicine in it as his first book, but goes more on the philosphical, emotional, and relationship end of things. was really interesting and helpful to read this, definitely gives a good perspective and has some memorable quotes. really sad in parts, amusing in others, but overall, a very inspirational book. and i'm not usually one to be struck so hard by books or movies. read it! 👍
 
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Wicked by Gregory Maguire........its a book that explains the story of the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz.
 
<bump>
tell me what to read on my trip.......
(not especially looking for animal related, but that is ok).
Entertaining, not necessarily educational.

If you're looking for entertaining, I have a few suggestions for you! I really enjoy Deb Caletti and Sarah Dessen, though their books are more teen reads... Maria Snyder is great too if you like fantasy, she writes more adult novels. I also looooooove the Jurassic Park books, by Micheal Crichton. They are so great, better than the movies. The science in them is pretty cool too. If you're into trashy romances... Nora Roberts has some pretty good ones, perfect for a trip. Hope this helps 🙂 have a great trip!
 
If you're looking for entertaining, I have a few suggestions for you! I really enjoy Deb Caletti and Sarah Dessen, though their books are more teen reads... Maria Snyder is great too if you like fantasy, she writes more adult novels. I also looooooove the Jurassic Park books, by Micheal Crichton. They are so great, better than the movies. The science in them is pretty cool too. If you're into trashy romances... Nora Roberts has some pretty good ones, perfect for a trip. Hope this helps 🙂 have a great trip!
Thanks. I have been reading Crichton's novels from when I was young (so a looong time ago).
No thanks to Nora Roberts (um... you know I am a straight guy, right? )
Might take a look at Maria Snyder (I'll take a pass on the teen novels although some of them are pretty good occasionally).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. I have been reading Crichton's novels from when I was young (so a looong time ago).
No thanks to Nora Roberts (um... you know I am a straight OLD guy, right? )
Might take a look at Maria Snyder (I'll take a pass on the teen novels although some of them are pretty good occasionally).

whoops! Typo there, SOV. Don't worry, I fixed it.:meanie:
 
<bump>
tell me what to read on my trip.......
(not especially looking for animal related, but that is ok).
Entertaining, not necessarily educational.
While I don't know your tastes in reading, I would recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series to anyone. Extremely entertaining--my youngest sister won't let me in her car if I'm going to read one because I laugh out loud and it annoys her. :laugh:

There are around 35-40 books in the series, I think, but linear order is only important with some of them so if you're interested I can recommend my favorites.
 
Fiction:
I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, about twin brothers, one is schizophrenic, and their family secrets
Risky Business by Dave Barry will make you laugh out loud
The Fifth Horseman by John Case, a thriller about biological warfare
Perfume by Patrick Suskind, don't be put off by the movie, this book is about a serial killer and is amazing

Non-fiction:
Part Wild by Ceiridwen Terrill is about a woman trying to raise a wolf-dog hybrid
Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant is about the Michael Vick dogs being rescued and rehabilitated

ignore or enjoy....
 
Lol I don't think you'd like this SOV but I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey and while it is pretty trashy I was entertained 🙂 also just finished A Dog's Purpose and that was good, made me laugh at times and cry at others. Currently I'm also reading The Art of Racing in the Rain which came highly recommended to me and I'm enjoying it so far