OT: SDN - Book Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I don't think you'd like this SOV but I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey and while it is pretty trashy I was entertained 🙂 also just finished A Dog's Purpose and that was good, made me laugh at times and cry at others. Currently I'm also reading The Art of Racing in the Rain which came highly recommended to me and I'm enjoying it so far

I really want to read Fifty Shades. Hahaha. But I feel like I need an e-reader to do so. And using my mom's kindle is out of the question. That'd be awkward. And read The Art of Racing in the Rain while at work in the clinic. It's a good. Don't take it to work with you though.
 
Lol I don't think you'd like this SOV but I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey and while it is pretty trashy I was entertained 🙂 also just finished A Dog's Purpose and that was good, made me laugh at times and cry at others. Currently I'm also reading The Art of Racing in the Rain which came highly recommended to me and I'm enjoying it so far
Thanks for all the recs... now I have to decide among them.

As for fifty shades of grey, never heard of it until I saw SNL with Eli Manning, there was an almost funny skit on that book.
 
It's girlporn. If the smexy parts of Twilight got you all worked up, you'll like the Grey books. Lol.

For storyline and all that, meh.

I have books I still need to delve into / Hunger Games, The Help.

I always recommend Life of Pi to anyone that hasn't read it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's girlporn. If the smexy parts of Twilight got you all worked up, you'll like the Grey books. Lol.

For storyline and all that, meh.

I have books I still need to delve into / Hunger Games, The Help.

I always recommend Life of Pi to anyone that hasn't read it.

Life of Pi sounds like an interesting book.
 
I like a wide variety of books, but tend to read books that I cannot put down...

So here are just a few that popped into my head:
- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
- The Giver
- The Davinci Code and Angels & Demons (both by Dan Brown)
- Stories I Only Tell My Friends (Robe Lowe's Autobio - I never would have bought this for myself, got it for free on the Ellen Show, but thoroughly enjoyed the read!)
- Dry by Augusten Burroughs
 
Lol I don't think you'd like this SOV but I just finished Fifty Shades of Grey and while it is pretty trashy I was entertained 🙂 also just finished A Dog's Purpose and that was good, made me laugh at times and cry at others. Currently I'm also reading The Art of Racing in the Rain which came highly recommended to me and I'm enjoying it so far

👍 Good book!
 
Just finished Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick Trout which was excellent - really honest view into the vet profession. Planning on reading Love is the Best Medicine next 🙂
 
Oh and I will say now, fifty shades is NOT good writing - more guilty pleasure than anything else....I also have it downloaded on my iPad so other people don't see what I'm reading 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm excited to finally starting the James Herriot books. I bought three of them and am finally motivated to read again. I have missed it. 🙂
 
I always recommend Life of Pi to anyone that hasn't read it.

My co-teacher is reading this. It's on my list.

I'm thrilled classes are over and I finally have time to read. What's everyone reading/planning to read this summer?
And if you say you're going to be pre-studying anatomy, I will punch you.
 
I read that book several years ago. Might have been the first place I heard about the suicide rate among veterinarians.

yeah i actually really liked the book -- he has a way of describing what he does so vividly and it's so relatable. i'm finishing up his other book, Love is the Best Medicine.

next on my list is The Paris Wife (read good reviews of this online) and The Night Circus. I bought my mom an iPad for mother's day, so i've been stealing it to read more books 🙂
 
I haven't read his other one. I just picked this up today, so it's next up after I finish mockingjay. I've heard great things!
 
I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but Game Of Thrones is excellent. I am about half way through the first book and I am really enjoying it! Kindof daunted by the fact that there are like 5 books out right now and probably will be more though. I definitely recommend them!
 
I would read that just for the face on the cover, jmo! What a cutie.

I've read quite a few books since I last posted in this thread. I started reading one of James Herriot's books 2 summers ago when my husband's aunt let me borrow the All Creatures/Things trio. I'm barely into the second book as of right now. I like the stories but books that long really discourage me because I read so so slowly and it feels like I make hardly any progress.

Since I started reading those, I've read and recommend the following:

The Lost City of Z
Making Rounds with Oscar
My Stroke of Insight (a woman's recollection of what she experienced while having a stroke and in recovery, which was interesting because she studied the brain at Harvard at the time she had the stroke)
World War Z
Life of Pi



I only just realized that The Giver is one of a four part series (with the last book published last year), so I just reread The Giver earlier this week and am now onto the second book, Gathering Blue.

Also on my to read list are The Help, The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, and a book called City Girl, Country Vet. (I hadn't heard of it before I saw it in a bookstore, and haven't looked it up since. I don't know if it's any good, so we will see!)
 
Last edited:
I read Divergent and liked it. It's a dystopian story which I love. Same with Brave New World. It took me a while to get through it and I'm happy I'm done with it, but it makes some interesting points and I'm glad I finally read it.
 
I would read that just for the face on the cover, jmo! What a cutie.

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I pretty much bought it based on the cover picture :laugh: it caught my attention and the description didn't sound stupid so i thought what the heck purchase haha

be prepared to cry a lot with The Art of Racing in the Rain - it's an excellent book (another I bought based on the cover (and i thought the title was The Art of Racing the Rain which sounded super doggy and cute :laugh:)
 
be prepared to cry a lot with The Art of Racing in the Rain - it's an excellent book (another I bought based on the cover (and i thought the title was The Art of Racing the Rain which sounded super doggy and cute :laugh:)

Thanks for the heads up. And The Art of Racing the Rain would be an excellent title for a book from a dog's perspective! I could totally see it...
 
How did I not realize this thread existed? I love to read, though I only read two books over the break. One was a sequel (well second book in a trilogy) that's really good. It's part of the Dalriada trilogy based in Scotland during early Roman occupation of the area. It's a historical fiction/fantasy type book. The other was a "don't ever recommend because the writing is all in passive voice" kind of book. Another fantasy book, with a decent premise that was choppy and jumped in time way too much.
 
I'm reading Rabid right now (a 'cultural history' of rabies), and I'm finding it good, but less engaging than I had expected from reviews.

I recently re-read one of my favorites, Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I recommend it to everyone!
 
Thanks jmo1012 for bringing this thread to life again! I didn't even know about it until now. I'm reading Pride & Prejudice right now.

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My Stroke of Insight (a woman's recollection of what she experienced while having a stroke and in recovery, which was interesting because she studied the brain at Harvard at the time she had the stroke)

+1. Read that a month or so ago. So good.

Currently I'm reading The River of Doubt by Candace Millard: Theodore Roosevelt goes exploring the Amazon and ends up on the kind of trip that would be featured on that TV show "I Shouldn't Be Alive".
 
Just finished re-reading The Hobbit, and if you don't know who wrote it then shame be upon you!

Currently reading Wake by Amanda Hocking and working on finishing A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin.

In my TBR pile is...
-State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
-Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
-The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
-re-read of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
-A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin

I like books...
 
I love reading, but I probably won't be able to do much during the semester. Over break I read Alex and Me (very entertaining) and a few YA fiction books just to give my mind a break. I started Les Mis again, hopefully I'll be able to work on that this semester. I also have Storm of Swords, book 3 of Game of Thrones, and Little Women from christmas. I got a kindle for christmas, so I'm thinking that I'll be able to read more and rent books from the library easier. So far I love it!
 
Also got a Kindle for Christmas. Was a bit leery at first but now am loving it. I finished the Beautiful Creatures series and really liked it. I was at a bit of loss of what to read next but with all of your suggestions, particularly ouijetaime's. Can't wait to download some more new stuff when I get home.

.....however, with all of the "real" books to read, I don't want to do school stuff :d
 
i've had a nook for a year now and i LOVE it. i love that its one weight, that it has a backlight (so i don't have to have a light on in my room), and that it has forced me to read a ton of books i never would have even thought about. i try not to buy books that are more than a couple of dollars and nook does a free book every week and for the most part they're really good choices. i read every night before bed to help me get sleepy. sometimes i run into trouble when its a really good book and i don't want to put it down at school at night, but i downloaded a timer app that allows me to set it for x minutes and then come back and flash at me when time is up. which has been very helpful.
 
I borrowed the bf's kindle to read the newest Dresden Files, and I didn't love it. It confused me, didn't seem very intuitive. I'm sticking to my nice paper books, thanks.

Currently re-reading Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones for the nth time.
 
I read Pride and Prejudice at least once a year. It is my all time favorite book. I never get tired of it.

👍

Have you watched the movie? I've been wanting to but decided to hold off until I get the book finished

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile
 
👍

Have you watched the movie? I've been wanting to but decided to hold off until I get the book finished

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

The Kiera Knightley version? I love it. I watch it when I can't sleep because the soundtrack is super relaxing. It's great. Of course, some of the book stuff gets left out but I think they did a great job with it. It's one of my favorite movies. If you don't know how the book ends, don't watch the movie until you finish.
 
The Kiera Knightley version? I love it. I watch it when I can't sleep because the soundtrack is super relaxing. It's great. Of course, some of the book stuff gets left out but I think they did a great job with it. It's one of my favorite movies. If you don't know how the book ends, don't watch the movie until you finish.

I haven't read the book yet, but I love that movie so much! People keep telling me they don't like that version, but I dooo. 😍 See it all the time.
 
The Kiera Knightley version? I love it. I watch it when I can't sleep because the soundtrack is super relaxing. It's great. Of course, some of the book stuff gets left out but I think they did a great job with it. It's one of my favorite movies. If you don't know how the book ends, don't watch the movie until you finish.

Love the two hour version and the soundtrack really is great. I also really love the old longer version, I think it might be like 4-6 hours because it was a bbc mini series. It's a bit intense, but it mirrors the book perfectly as far as I can remember. Plus, Colin Firth is pretty swoon worthy!
 
The Kiera Knightley version? I love it. I watch it when I can't sleep because the soundtrack is super relaxing. It's great. Of course, some of the book stuff gets left out but I think they did a great job with it. It's one of my favorite movies. If you don't know how the book ends, don't watch the movie until you finish.

That's the one! Good to know everyone sounds like they like it 🙂 (makes me want to see it even more) now I just need to finish the book up

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile
 
I just got finished with The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. It had been on my GoodReads list for a while, and when I found it on deep discount at Half Price Books, I had to pick it up. It only lasted me a couple days. The ending wrapped up a bit too neatly for my liking, but I liked the characters and story overall. Not sure what book to move on to next...something with short chapters since school starts tomorrow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I entered the smartphone era just after Christmas and my phone came with a $50 credit to Google Play so I ended up buying a few books with it including The Giver series. I'm on the last book, Son, right now and omg, I don't want to put it down!! I had to force myself to study pharm tonight instead of reading it. At this point, I'd highly recommend the other 3 books in the series if you liked The Giver.
 
Well I entered the smartphone era just after Christmas and my phone came with a $50 credit to Google Play so I ended up buying a few books with it including The Giver series. I'm on the last book, Son, right now and omg, I don't want to put it down!! I had to force myself to study pharm tonight instead of reading it. At this point, I'd highly recommend the other 3 books in the series if you liked The Giver.

Didn't realize there was a 4th book! Gosh, gotta add it to my list 🙂
 
Didn't realize there was a 4th book! Gosh, gotta add it to my list 🙂

👍 I was not disappointed!

I just finished Heaven is for Real as well. I won't go into my beliefs other than by saying they are not at all what the author subscribes to, but I thought it was an interesting read and enjoyed it.

I'm about to start Ender's Game, but I'm off to listen to a radiology lecture before that happens...

Anyone else reading anything not related to school right now?
 
Well I entered the smartphone era just after Christmas and my phone came with a $50 credit to Google Play so I ended up buying a few books with it including The Giver series. I'm on the last book, Son, right now and omg, I don't want to put it down!! I had to force myself to study pharm tonight instead of reading it. At this point, I'd highly recommend the other 3 books in the series if you liked The Giver.

I'm not a fan of 'The Giver' sequels. But the first book is pure magic.

I love everything Jhumpa Lahiri writes. Her writing is so beautiful.
 
A book that all you vet people might like is Zoobiquity. Can't remember the author - talks about connections between human and animal medicine! Really neat.