General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got invited to do phase 2 for USC. As I move farther in the process, I am starting to wonder if the tuition is worth it? I am not sure if going into 140k debt is the smartest thing to do, even though I love USC and their program. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about high tuition/ if it is worth it?
I also got invited for phase 2 of USC and while I do not have an answer for your question I do have a question for you! I'm not sure if your video prompt is the same but if so I am slightly confused by the "how did occupation play a role in addressing the issue" part of the prompt. if you had this prompt what was your interpretation of the word occupation in this context?

Members don't see this ad.

I got invited to do phase 2 for USC. As I move farther in the process, I am starting to wonder if the tuition is worth it? I am not sure if going into 140k debt is the smartest thing to do, even though I love USC and their program. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about high tuition/ if it is worth it?

On the OT subreddit, I’d say the overwhelming consensus is that you should pick the most affordable option that works for you. I visited many schools, and USC stood out above the rest to me. I’m fortunate to be close to fully funded due to veterans benefits. It would be hard for me to swallow $140k plus living expenses if I didn’t have the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program and a couple veteran specific scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when FGCU will be reaching out for interviews? Or if they already have?

They put in bold letters of my waitlist letter that I am “very highly ranked on the waitlist.” I guess it’s true because I just got in!
I am still waitlisted at Carroll, did they send you a letter in the mail as well as an email??

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone apply to Lenoir Rhyne and hear anything back yet?
I just got an email last night about doing the YouTube video so I have To email that within 48 hours. I sent my application early December. Kinda sucks bc I work Full time so I’m having to do the YouTube video right when I get Off work at 6. Wish they would at least give 3 days instead of 2!

Has anyone applied and heard/interviewed with Wingate? I have an interview February 24th! Also wondering if anyone knows when we should hear from Winston Salem

I did but I'm not sure how to interpret the last part of the prompt referring to "how did occupation play a role in addressing the issue".
I received an additional email with clarification about that part of the prompt today. Did you also receive one?

Just got accepted Carroll - honestly really unsure about what program I want to go to now. I really liked Indiana State but I loved Carroll! But Indiana State has less expensive in state tuition. Now I’m just all confused

UPDATE: I decide to attend Carroll University, so I will be rejecting Indiana State! I hope this helps other people who are still waitlisted at Indiana State. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when University of Puget Sound sends out decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to update GRE scores after submitting application? I took my GRE and want to retake. However, I also want to submit my application ASAP.

I’m having the same issues as well. I’m considering applying again next year to CSUDH and maybe some other state schools if I can’t get into an affordable program this year. Taking an extra 6 months to a year is more worth it to me than paying off debt for the next 15 years of my life

You have seriously eased my worries. THANK YOU! So you submitted your application with GRE scores then retook the GRE again and updated your application with new GRE scores? How did it work out for you?
Yes! And I think it worked out ok. I Initially didn’t meet the minimum requirements for my top choice (although they say you can apply with scores slightly below the minimum). Anyway, I updated with my new scores and I was admitted to that program. One caveat though - I updated my application prior to that school’s deadline. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I got top 25 waitlisted at Elmhurst. Anyone else heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I got top 25 waitlisted at Elmhurst. Anyone else heard anything?

I got in! Weird though, I never got an official email saying I was in? Yesterday I received an email asking for my SSN that said "congrats again on admission", so I'm still a little confused hahah.

I got in! Weird though, I never got an official email saying I was in? Yesterday I received an email asking for my SSN that said "congrats again on admission", so I'm still a little confused hahah.

That is so strange!! Do you think they are mailing an acceptance letter to you??

Turns out since both were automated messages, I just got the financial aid one first. I got my actual acceptance this morning!

Congratulations!!!! That’s amazing. Will you be attending? Congrats again

Congratulations!!!! That’s amazing. Will you be attending? Congrats again

Thank you! I'm not sure yet, still waiting to hear back from some other programs. Best of luck to you!

Does anyone know when University of Puget Sound sends out decisions?
For the past two years they sent out notifications starting early February. Not sure if that will continue this year as I've heard they are going to send them out early April. We'll see. Good Luck!

Just received an interview date for Gwynedd Mercy, but I believe I will be declining as I have already accepted elsewhere. Hopefully opens a spot for others!

did anyone else have a really hard time recording the video for USC under 1 minute? I'm having a hard time answering the entire question and getting my points across ? any suggestions???

Has anyone been accepted to Midwestern in Downers Grove? It seems like everyone I have talked to/heard of has been waitlisted haha. Just curious is they've actually started sending out acceptances?

Just received an interview date for Gwynedd Mercy, but I believe I will be declining as I have already accepted elsewhere. Hopefully opens a spot for others!
Also received an interview email from Gwynedd Mercy. Very excited!

Has anyone been accepted to Midwestern in Downers Grove? It seems like everyone I have talked to/heard of has been waitlisted haha. Just curious is they've actually started sending out acceptances?
I was accepted but it was back in October (I applied really early). I ended up declining the offer though.

did anyone else have a really hard time recording the video for USC under 1 minute? I'm having a hard time answering the entire question and getting my points across ? any suggestions???
I used a timer and wrote out an outline of what I wanted to say, and then timed it a bunch of times and cut things out, then once I felt I had a more solid idea I started recording and did that a few times as well! I hope that helps

Yes, lol what a joke
I was also sent the same email back in December! Have you heard anything yet? I’ve been refreshing my email every 30 minutes since Monday I figured they said “by early February” so that should hopefully be this week or next.

I was also sent the same email back in December! Have you heard anything yet? I’ve been refreshing my email every 30 minutes since Monday I figured they said “by early February” so that should hopefully be this week or next.
No I haven't heard anything! I was told they were going to be by mail, but then again they sent emails out to people in december. who knows lol

I got accepted at Mount Mary today, if anyone was wondering! I will be rejecting as I am attending Indiana State

No I haven't heard anything! I was told they were going to be by mail, but then again they sent emails out to people in december. who knows lol
I know!! I was wondering that too. I think they would do both. Fingers crossed we hear back tomorrow

Did anyone go to the information sessions at Stanbridge University and can let me know what the course sequence is?

I haven't and I applied in December. I think the only people that have heard are those that applied before the fall interview date? My application still says under review

I haven't and I applied in December. I think the only people that have heard are those that applied before the fall interview date? My application still says under review
I interviewed mid-Nov and was accepted the following week. I will most likely be declining my offer within the next couple of weeks, so there should be an open spot!

Got it. I applied before that date and interviewed and I've been waitlisted. I was mainly just curious because I know a lot of people who applied and everyone I know has been waitlisted, just curious how many they've accepted up until now lol

Hey everyone,

This forum has been a helpful resource for me for the past few years, so I wanted to finally contribute.

First time applying. Here are my stats:

University: Cal State
Major: Literature
Minor: Creative Writing
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take

Shadow Hours: 51 hippotherapy, 8 inpatient, 28 hand
Volunteer Hours: 46 hospice, 30 local books for kids non profit, 15 Miracle League (sports for adults and children with disabilities)
LOR: 2 OTs I shadowed with, 1 current employer (completely different field, been there for four years), 1 stats professor

Applied to: West Coast, Midwestern AZ, ATSU, Abilene Christian TX, Touro NV, UNLV
Interview: West Coast (Nov), Midwestern (Nov), Touro (Nov), UNLV (January)
Admitted: West Coast (was wait-listed, but pulled off it only a couple of days letter), Touro NV
Still waiting response: Midwestern (said we'd here back in Feb.)

I declined West Coast and put down my deposit for Touro. UNLV still interests me, but they'd have to offer something quite compelling to sway me from Touro. Abilene was my wildcard. ATSU, I think, has rejected me. Midwestern had a great program and a beautiful campus. But given the price tag, I don't think I could swing it if I were to get an acceptance.

Although I think these forums have helped me, they also worried me! So many people have great stats and have racked up an incredible amount of shadowing hours. While I worked through the process, I often felt I could not compete. Even when I began interviewing, I felt woefully average compared to all the bright, fresh, and articulate undergraduates (I graduated nearly 15 years ago).

I think it helped that I mostly applied to private schools (due to practicality rather than personal preference), avoided the GRE (it would have only opened up a couple more CA schools, so not really worth the hassle), and in my personal statement/interviews, I really made connections between my life experience and the world of OT.

So, I post this in hopes to provide other nontraditional students/career changers with some positive energy during the stressful OT process. Try not to compare yourself or stats to others, and play to your strengths.

Hello,

Congrats in getting accepted into your top school of choice! Your stats are great and your post really is helping me through the application process. I will be interviewing for West Coast in March, I was wondering if you could share any tips about your interview with West Coast? Thank you :)

Hello,

Congrats in getting accepted into your top school of choice! Your stats are great and your post really is helping me through the application process. I will be interviewing for West Coast in March, I was wondering if you could share any tips about your interview with West Coast? Thank you :)
Hey everyone,

This forum has been a helpful resource for me for the past few years, so I wanted to finally contribute.

First time applying. Here are my stats:

University: Cal State
Major: Literature
Minor: Creative Writing
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take

Shadow Hours: 51 hippotherapy, 8 inpatient, 28 hand
Volunteer Hours: 46 hospice, 30 local books for kids non profit, 15 Miracle League (sports for adults and children with disabilities)
LOR: 2 OTs I shadowed with, 1 current employer (completely different field, been there for four years), 1 stats professor

Applied to: West Coast, Midwestern AZ, ATSU, Abilene Christian TX, Touro NV, UNLV
Interview: West Coast (Nov), Midwestern (Nov), Touro (Nov), UNLV (January)
Admitted: West Coast (was wait-listed, but pulled off it only a couple of days letter), Touro NV
Still waiting response: Midwestern (said we'd here back in Feb.)

I declined West Coast and put down my deposit for Touro. UNLV still interests me, but they'd have to offer something quite compelling to sway me from Touro. Abilene was my wildcard. ATSU, I think, has rejected me. Midwestern had a great program and a beautiful campus. But given the price tag, I don't think I could swing it if I were to get an acceptance.

Although I think these forums have helped me, they also worried me! So many people have great stats and have racked up an incredible amount of shadowing hours. While I worked through the process, I often felt I could not compete. Even when I began interviewing, I felt woefully average compared to all the bright, fresh, and articulate undergraduates (I graduated nearly 15 years ago).

I think it helped that I mostly applied to private schools (due to practicality rather than personal preference), avoided the GRE (it would have only opened up a couple more CA schools, so not really worth the hassle), and in my personal statement/interviews, I really made connections between my life experience and the world of OT.

So, I post this in hopes to provide other nontraditional students/career changers with some positive energy during the stressful OT process. Try not to compare yourself or stats to others, and play to your strengths.
Hey, I also interviewed for UNLV and Touro. I applied for ATSU as well, but since the OTD program was already filled they gave me an interview for the waitlist which I thought was pointless and I wasn't interested in moving to AZ! I wanted to ask you if you applied to the MSOT or OTD program at WCU? And congratulations on your acceptances! I interviewed at Touro on January 30th and received my acceptance letter 4 days later, on Feb. 3rd!! I will be paying my deposit soon just in case :) But we may be in the same cohort!

Hello,

@melsztle, Did you apply to the MSOT or OTD? I just received an email from WCU that my requirements have been met and I am a qualified candidate, but they are still in the works of selecting candidates for interviews so I haven't gotten one yet!

Hello,

I suggest that you practice delivering succinct answers to common OT interview questions. Be able to answer them in two to three sentences very clearly without rambling. Giving a brief but well-thought out answer shows confidence. If you want to provide any concrete examples from your own experience, boil it down to only the essential information. I had to bite my tongue sometimes. It is tempting to wait for the interviewer to cue you to stop, but you will want leftover time at the end to ask your questions.

After the interview, you write an essay. I extracted much of it from my personal statement. Not word for word, of course, but I used the same ideas and some of the same examples, expanding on them. I'll keep the topic secret to keep an even playing field, but know that it is broad and any candidate should be able to answer it. So, I might recommend reviewing your personal statement beforehand.

Also, so far interviewers have seemed to like it when I mention my "vision" for myself as an OT. I don't mean knowing exactly what setting/population you want to go into (I'm not sure myself), but personally I know that I want to focus on inclusion in my local community, as it benefits everyone. If you see yourself leading research, being an agent of change for underrepresented populations, getting involved in policy, etc.--bring it up!

And good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, I also interviewed for UNLV and Touro. I applied for ATSU as well, but since the OTD program was already filled they gave me an interview for the waitlist which I thought was pointless and I wasn't interested in moving to AZ! I wanted to ask you if you applied to the MSOT or OTD program at WCU? And congratulations on your acceptances! I interviewed at Touro on January 30th and received my acceptance letter 4 days later, on Feb. 3rd!! I will be paying my deposit soon just in case :) But we may be in the same cohort!

I applied to the MSOT at WCU. For financial and personal reasons, I only applied to Masters programs out of state. Although I wish Touro still did the Masters (missed it by one year!). But, they made me really excited for the doctorate portion on interview day.

I have met several Touro grads that have found great jobs in NV, and they all had good things to say about the program. Maybe I'll see you there!

Got it. I applied before that date and interviewed and I've been waitlisted. I was mainly just curious because I know a lot of people who applied and everyone I know has been waitlisted, just curious how many they've accepted up until now lol
I applied in October and I still have not heard back from Midwestern Downers grove. I mean I guess it’s good that I haven’t been rejected lol but it still says under consideration.