General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the school about 4 weeks after my application had been verified through OTCAS, when I called they said they were unable to find my application but they would get in contact with OTCAS. About a week or two later I got a call that they had found my application and was invited for an interview! I would definitely call and follow up if it has been a while since you submitted your application and haven't heard back yet
Thank you for the reply! I will do that! Did you attend the interview by any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS! Will you be attending? Also do you have any pointers for the interview?
I did accept since I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools and they only gave me 3 days to accept my spot.

As far as pointers go... it is a group interview of two to three people (mine had 3 but I've heard that some are only two). Two faculty members/admissions people, they put out 3 boxes and you randomly pick one question from each box so everyone gets different questions. Not all super related to OT but I think they want to see more of your personality, my first question was "how would you describe your best friend?" There was also a team portion where you had to plan a fundraising activity and then present it to them and a lego building portion (more so how you interact with your peers). At the end of the interview there is an essay portion where you have to write a one page essay, my prompt was something to do with leadership and how you can use your experiences to benefit the program.

I really think that most of their interview is just wanting to see who you are as a person because they already know who you are as a student, so really let your personality shine!

Good Luck!

I did accept since I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools and they only gave me 3 days to accept my spot.

As far as pointers go... it is a group interview of two to three people (mine had 3 but I've heard that some are only two). Two faculty members/admissions people, they put out 3 boxes and you randomly pick one question from each box so everyone gets different questions. Not all super related to OT but I think they want to see more of your personality, my first question was "how would you describe your best friend?" There was also a team portion where you had to plan a fundraising activity and then present it to them and a lego building portion (more so how you interact with your peers). At the end of the interview there is an essay portion where you have to write a one page essay, my prompt was something to do with leadership and how you can use your experiences to benefit the program.

I really think that most of their interview is just wanting to see who you are as a person because they already know who you are as a student, so really let your personality shine!

Good Luck!
HOLY MOLY! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I really appreciate your insight and pointers! Good luck to you as you wait back from other schools! Thanks again, kind JOfutureOT!

Hey I'm a little late to this game but I just got accepted to UW- Milwaukee through their internal application process/early admissions application (only available to Pre-OT undergraduate students at UWM).

Here are my stats:
Major: Occupational Studies (basically Pre-OT, TR, disability law and advocacy, and assistive technology all bundled up into one major)
Undergrad GPA: 3.33
Prereq GPA: ~3.7
GRE: Not required through this application but 149 V / 147 Q / 4 AW

Work experience:
6+ years in veterinary medicine as a veterinary assistant

Observation experience:
- 40 hrs hippotherapy
- 8 hrs acute care
- 8 hrs subacute care
- 12 hrs EMS

Other extracurricular:
- Various board positions on Pre-Veterinary clubs throughout undergrad before I changed my major
- 1st place Business Writing Challenge
- Sidewalker at a therapeutic riding facility
- Volunteer with OT at a health clinic for individuals who are uninsured or underinsured in my community

LOR: 1 OT (pediatrics/hippotherapy), 2 professors (English and TR)

Applied and accepted: UW - Milwaukee MSOT

I'm very aware that my stats are average/below average but the internal application gave me a little more room to explain adversities that I have faced during my undergraduate career. This seems to have worked to my advantage!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I'm a little late to this game but I just got accepted to UW- Milwaukee through their internal application process/early admissions application (only available to Pre-OT undergraduate students at UWM).

Here are my stats:
Major: Occupational Studies (basically Pre-OT, TR, disability law and advocacy, and assistive technology all bundled up into one major)
Undergrad GPA: 3.33
Prereq GPA: ~3.7
GRE: Not required through this application but 149 V / 147 Q / 4 AW

Work experience:
6+ years in veterinary medicine as a veterinary assistant

Observation experience:
- 40 hrs hippotherapy
- 8 hrs acute care
- 8 hrs subacute care
- 12 hrs EMS

Other extracurricular:
- Various board positions on Pre-Veterinary clubs throughout undergrad before I changed my major
- 1st place Business Writing Challenge
- Sidewalker at a therapeutic riding facility
- Volunteer with OT at a health clinic for individuals who are uninsured or underinsured in my community

LOR: 1 OT (pediatrics/hippotherapy), 2 professors (English and TR)

Applied and accepted: UW - Milwaukee MSOT

I'm very aware that my stats are average/below average but the internal application gave me a little more room to explain adversities that I have faced during my undergraduate career. This seems to have worked to my advantage!
Congratulations! It’s a great feeling to know that when you are going to grad school. Good luck at UWM! I’ll be at Carroll’s OT program starting this May.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! So far I have heard back from LIU and SUNY downstate! I denied LIU and will be attending Downstate, Has anyone accepted Downstate? Maybe we can get a group going! Extremely excited for this new chapter! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the SUNY downstate interview. I know there is a Health Science Reasoning Test and I have no idea what to expect from that. I'm trying to prepare myself but I not getting help from online resources. If anyone has any advice, could you please let me know :)?

I'm not sure. I already put a deposit down at another school, and I don't know much about Maryville. I'm going to try to visit sometime this week before acceptances are due!
What about you??
Yes, I accepted! I live in the area so its the smartest financially to stay here and attend!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard from Wesley about recording the video interview this morning!

Congrats! Did you get the questions? My email from yesterday said I would get the questions this morning but still nothing :shrug:

Edit: NVM - just saw the email come through

Last edited:
Congrats! Did you get the questions? My email from yesterday said I would get the questions this morning but still nothing :shrug:

I didn't get the questions yet! I will probably get them later.

I just checked my NYU portal for fun, and my application status has changed from "waiting for decision" to "decided," but I haven't received an email with a decision, and can't find it on the portal. Has this happened to anyone else applying to NYU?

I just checked my NYU portal for fun, and my application status has changed from "waiting for decision" to "decided," but I haven't received an email with a decision, and can't find it on the portal. Has this happened to anyone else applying to NYU?
On the portal, it should have a link to open that says "click here for admission decision" or something like that

I'm confused. Are we recording ourselves to answer those set of questions on like photobooth or something and then upload it to that drive they shared with us? Also, are you going to have the list of questions out when you're recording yourself?

Yes, same with me. It took a few minutes before I received the link. Good luck!

That happened to me on the thirteenth! I never received an email from them, but randomly checked my NYU portal that day after I had heard back from Columbia. There should be a link on the NYU portal to see your update!

Has anyone heard from Davenport or know when they are planning to send out their admission decisions?

I'm confused. Are we recording ourselves to answer those set of questions on like photobooth or something and then upload it to that drive they shared with us? Also, are you going to have the list of questions out when you're recording yourself?

Hello - I'm recording mine tonight. I'm keeping the questions up on the computer screen so I can make sure I didn't forget any. It's hard just talking without an interviewer there - wish I had more video blogging experience haha.

Can OT schools see where you applied or where you got into? Does this information get released even if it violates privacy. Because I know in PTCAS and med school apps the information gets released. Curious!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if USC will send out acceptances via email or through the student portal?

I got waitlisted at USC!
Me too... will you be placing your name on the waitlist? I was really hoping to get in since I live nearby. At least it’s not a rejection!

Me too... will you be placing your name on the waitlist? I was really hoping to get in since I live nearby. At least it’s not a rejection!
Yes! I am placing my name on the waitlist! Are you? And so true :)

Yes! I am placing my name on the waitlist! Are you? And so true :)
I definitely am! But I am not completely sure if I am understanding what they are asking for... so basically we have to send them another official transcript that shows all prereq grades? And the form as well by April right?

I too was placed on the waitlist. not sure if i am going to accept, still waiting on a couple of schools.

I definitely am! But I am not completely sure if I am understanding what they are asking for... so basically we have to send them another official transcript that shows all prereq grades? And the form as well by April right?
Yes, I think so. But i am confused because I have all of my pre reqs completed already.

I just emailed Kim Davis from Elmhurst and it said she is out of the office until March 2 :( I am not sure what this means for people waiting for their decisions still.

I just emailed Kim Davis from Elmhurst and it said she is out of the office until March 2 :( I am not sure what this means for people waiting for their decisions still.
If you got in the top 25 on the waitlist you probably have a good chance of getting accepted still! I was on the waitlist and got accepted last Friday but will be declining my spot so hopefully you hear back soon!

Has anyone sent a school a letter of intent basically saying if they are admitted they will commit? I want to send one to a school but admission decisions are not out yet so I am not sure if it is appropriate or not

Has anyone sent a school a letter of intent basically saying if they are admitted they will commit? I want to send one to a school but admission decisions are not out yet so I am not sure if it is appropriate or not

I sent one out last year after being put on the waitlist, and was eventually accepted in to the program! It wont hurt- but wait until decisions are posted. Goodluck

I sent one out last year after being put on the waitlist, and was eventually accepted in to the program! It wont hurt- but wait until decisions are posted. Goodluck
Thank you :)

Reactions: 1 users
They put in bold letters of my waitlist letter that I am “very highly ranked on the waitlist.” I guess it’s true because I just got in!
I went to an open house at Carroll University over the weekend and the admissions counselor told me it's very likely I will get off the waitlist. So we may be classmates in May!! I loved the school and I'm really hopeful he's right!

Congrats, that's awesome! I'm also waitlisted at Carroll. Do they give specific rankings of the waitlist? Or did you just ask and they gave you a general idea?
When I was at the open house, he told me that I was 9th on the waitlist. I would really recommend calling and asking about your status, he is such a kind person and I'm sure he would tell you too! He told me that as of right now, there are 3 spots available and once people have gotten their acceptance letter they have 10 days to accept or decline. And since they are one of the first schools to send out acceptance letters, some people will accept then later decline (which will cost you the $500 deposit). So don't lose hope if you're still on the waitlist!

Can OT schools see where you applied or where you got into? Does this information get released even if it violates privacy. Because I know in PTCAS and med school apps the information gets released. Curious!
Hello! Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I’m curious to know too

Accepted: Concordia-Wisconsin and Saginaw Vally
Interviews: Pace (3/5), Midwestern AZ (May)
Waiting on: Davenport

UPDATED:

This is my second time applying. Below are my stats!

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health Sciences
Minor: Accounting
Overall GPA: 3.38 (according to OTCAS this is including Post Bac)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71-3.80 Depending on School
GRE: V: 155 Q: 149 W: 4 (Not my strong suit)

Volunteer Hours
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Applying to: UW, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), SJSU, University of New England, Stanbridge
Interview: St Augustine (11/12), UNE (12/6-Declined), Stanbridge (2/7)
Acceptance: St. Augustine (11/18), Stanbridge (2/14)
Decline: Stanbridge (I felt University of St. Augustine was a better fit for me)

Rejected: UW (3/4) Oh well I guess it was not meant to be. :(

Last edited:
is anyone that’s waitlisted at USC receiving emails about needed more information about financial aid?