General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2019-2020 MOT Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my last decision from SJSU! Below are my stats updated one last time. Hopefully this helps anyone later on who applies. Good luck to you all and I hope you find the program best for you. :)

UPDATED:

This is my second time applying. Below are my stats!

University: UC Irvine
Major: Public Health Sciences
Minor: Accounting
Overall GPA: 3.38 (according to OTCAS this is including Post Bac)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.71-3.80 Depending on School
GRE: V: 155 Q: 149 W: 4 (Not my strong suit)

Volunteer Hours
-80 Research Lab (Shadowing OT)
-100 Neurofeedback Tech (During Undergrad Practicum)
-121 Pediatric Clinic
-25 Animal Assisted Therapy
-112 Hand Therapy Clinic

Applying to: UW, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), SJSU, University of New England, Stanbridge
Interview: St Augustine (11/12), UNE (12/6-Declined), Stanbridge (2/7)
Acceptance: St. Augustine (11/18), Stanbridge (2/14), SJSU (3/11)
Decline: Stanbridge
Rejected: UW (3/4)

Will be attending SJSU! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
University: University of South Carolina
Major: double major in Philosophy and Women's and Gender Studies
Overall GPA: 3.5
OTCAS GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 145 quant 159 verbal 4.0 writing
Applying: MUSC, Columbia, Lenoir-Rhyne, Sacred Heart, Pacific University, University of Puget Sound
Shadow hours: 30 hours in a hands/elbows/shoulders office, 120 hours in pediatric, 100+ hours at a manufacturing plant office doing research and intern work
Other experience: I have a lot of experience volunteering outside of occupational therapy -- Juvenile Arbitration, several film festivals, construction work in impoverished areas, Women's well being initiative, tutoring philosophy students, drug and alcohol rehabs, Amnesty International, did an independent study with the head of my department(women's and gender studies) in undergrad, took mostly graduate courses my senior year, deans list a little over half of undergrad — but I was also a high school drop out so that may not be too helpful who knows

Applied: Sacred Heart University, Lenoir-Rhyne Universiry, Pacific University, Columbia, University of Puget Sound, MUSC

Denied: Pacific University, Columbia

Waitlisted: MUSC, University of Puget Sound

Accepted: Sacred Heart (where I am going in the fall — yay!), Lenoir-Rhyne

I didn’t think I would get in anywhere looking at the stats on here and was SO nervous applying. Yay for not paying application fees again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! So far I have been accepted into 3 programs: Lenoir-Rhyne (Columbia SC location), Lewis University and Tennessee State.
I was wondering if anyone has any additional info on the schools or is currently attending? I want to make the right decision on where to go.

Also has anyone else on here been accepted to these schools? Would love to meet some possible future classmates :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from Colorado State yet? I haven't seen many posts about the 2019-2020 application cycle regarding Colorado.

I’m going to Concorida! Declined my admission at Indiana State
That's awesome, congratulations! I am still waiting to hear back from one more school but I am leaning towards Concordia as of right now.

Did you accept ? What do you think about the program
Since I heard back in December and that was the only school i heard back from, I did put my deposit down but will be declining eventually. I live in CA so I do not want to move out all the way to Il

Does anyone have any insights about OT programs at USC vs Dominican University of California? I am really debating on which school I should go to and its hard since both are good schools.

I recently graduated from USC and while it is such a great school and the professors and networking opportunities are amazing, I would strongly recommend going to the cheaper school. Employers really don’t care where you went to school - they care mostly about your experiences and that you have your license, as long as the program is accredited. I know a few of my classmates who are now $200k in debt and will be paying it off for the next 27 years.... Don’t get me wrong, I loved USC but I don’t think it’s worth all that money when you can get the same exact job and pay going to a cheaper school and not having to worry about as much debt afterwards. If Dominican is cheaper, which I believe it is, I would go with Dominican!

I recently graduated from USC and while it is such a great school and the professors and networking opportunities are amazing, I would strongly recommend going to the cheaper school. Employers really don’t care where you went to school - they care mostly about your experiences and that you have your license, as long as the program is accredited. I know a few of my classmates who are now $200k in debt and will be paying it off for the next 27 years.... Don’t get me wrong, I loved USC but I don’t think it’s worth all that money when you can get the same exact job and pay going to a cheaper school and not having to worry about as much debt afterwards. If Dominican is cheaper, which I believe it is, I would go with Dominican!
Thank you so much for your comment!

I am leaning more towards DU as well because of the cost of USC... however I feel like the facility and network at USC is better. I have visited both schools - DU is a small school with limited facilities whereas USC seemed to be very well equipped (also met many OTs who graduated from USC when I was volunteering at multiple sites - maybe because I live in SoCal?). I still have time until April but really debating right now. Hope USC was cheaper so that I dont have to take out so much loans :(

Has anyone heard anything from Colorado State yet? I haven't seen many posts about the 2019-2020 application cycle regarding Colorado.
I just heard back from them! I was waitlisted!

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard back from A.T Still university AZ? Or Midwestern IL??

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to an open house at Carroll University over the weekend and the admissions counselor told me it's very likely I will get off the waitlist...
When I was at the open house, he told me that I was 9th on the waitlist... So don't lose hope if you're still on the waitlist!

UPDATE: I was accepted off the waitlist and will be attending Carroll in May!!

Reactions: 3 users
Once programs start, I have a feeling most (resident programs) will be online only until COVID19 pandemic subsides. At least we are all in this together. Be safe and good luck while waiting for acceptance letters.

How does everyone choose between programs? I am stuck between two at the moment where they are both 3 year long programs, but one is OTD and one is a master's program. Any input?

How does everyone choose between programs? I am stuck between two at the moment where they are both 3 year long programs, but one is OTD and one is a master's program. Any input?

Personally for me I would look at what my end goal for pursuing this degree. Is it to be a Clinician? Is it to do research? Will not having this doctorate degree put me at a disadvantage? For me, I wanted to be a clinician and not so much a researcher or professor so I chose to do the Master's program instead as I heard MSOT and OTD get paid the same.

Second factor for me is price and location. I went with the school with lower tuition. As I will be able to travel around during fieldwork, I didn't see location as a big issue.

From the sound of it, if you are going to do 3 years anyways, maybe OTD is the option? Is Master's Program more affordable?

I hope this helps and good luck! I am sure whatever option you pursue you'll be a great OT. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Personally for me I would look at what my end goal for pursuing this degree. Is it to be a Clinician? Is it to do research? Will not having this doctorate degree put me at a disadvantage? For me, I wanted to be a clinician and not so much a researcher or professor so I chose to do the Master's program instead as I heard MSOT and OTD get paid the same.

Second factor for me is price and location. I went with the school with lower tuition. As I will be able to travel around during fieldwork, I didn't see location as a big issue. But if the school was in Arizona (which I am sure is nice, but I just can't stand the heat) I would probably not pick that school.

From the sound of it, if you are going to do 3 years anyways, maybe OTD is the option? Is Master's Program more affordable?

I hope this helps and good luck! I am sure whatever option you pursue you'll be a great OT. :)
Thank you SO much for your helpful reply!

I was leaning towards doing a master's program during my whole application process because I see myself as wanting to be a clinician, instead of the a researcher. And quite honestly, I wanted a shorter program so I can start working and fulfilling my dream job. But now I am stuck since both programs are 3 years long and don't know if it would be silly to not get my doctorate at that point since it is the same length. I could see myself as potentially becoming a professor later on in my life but that is something I don't know at this moment.

Hopefully something will click for me and I can make that final decision! Thank you again!!

Make a pros and cons list that includes cost, tuition and housing, length of program, if it's research based/type of curriculum, fieldwork options, if you really need the doctorate (plan to teach or run your own clinic), overall school vibe and anything else important to you. Plus if you can, ask students currently attending about their experience in ea program. Good luck!

Make a pros and cons list that includes cost, tuition and housing, length of program, if it's research based/type of curriculum, fieldwork options, if you really need the doctorate (plan to teach or run your own clinic), overall school vibe and anything else important to you. Plus if you can, ask students currently attending about their experience in ea program. Good luck!
Thank you so so much!! This was all very helpful. Definitely will make a list and hope it will lead me to my final decision.

Thank you SO much for your helpful reply!

I was leaning towards doing a master's program during my whole application process because I see myself as wanting to be a clinician, instead of the a researcher. And quite honestly, I wanted a shorter program so I can start working and fulfilling my dream job. But now I am stuck since both programs are 3 years long and don't know if it would be silly to not get my doctorate at that point since it is the same length. I could see myself as potentially becoming a professor later on in my life but that is something I don't know at this moment.

Hopefully something will click for me and I can make that final decision! Thank you again!!

I’m also trying to decide between a masters and doctorate program! I want to be a clinician but also enjoy research. I haven’t made a final decision, but I’m leaning towards a master.

Here was my thinking: I know that as of right now I just want to be a practitioner. I have a feeling I want to do research later down the line but not anytime soon. So I was thinking that I would get my masters first. Then, after I get more hands on experience in the field, I’ll know what exactly interests me and if getting a doctorate makes sense. If it does make sense, I can do a post professional doctorate program (which some schools have online programs for). Some workplaces might also pay for you to get your doctorate so that might be another plus!

That was just my thinking! Hope it helps in some way! I made a pros/cons list too which helped a lot.

Now that I've decided where I'll be attending, I thought it would be a good time to share my stats!

Major: double major in Psychology and Kinesiology, minor in Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7ish (one B in A&P I)
GRE: 150 Q, 158 V, 5.0 writing
Shadowing: 60 peds, 20 outpatient adults, 8 SNF
Extras: ~1200 hours as a DSP in a home for adults with disabilities, 400 hours as a camp counselor for elementary kids with disabilities, work as Peer Health Educator at University, Pres. of fitness club for 2 years, volunteer work with both kids and adults with disabilities
Applying: St. Kate's, St. Scholastica, UW-LaCrosse, UW-Milwaukee, Wash U
Acceptances: Wash U (1/9), St. Scholastica (1/30), UW-LaCrosse (2/17), UW-Milwaukee (2/21), St.Kate's (3/23)
Attending: St. Kate's!

I’m also trying to decide between a masters and doctorate program! I want to be a clinician but also enjoy research. I haven’t made a final decision, but I’m leaning towards a master.

Here was my thinking: I know that as of right now I just want to be a practitioner. I have a feeling I want to do research later down the line but not anytime soon. So I was thinking that I would get my masters first. Then, after I get more hands on experience in the field, I’ll know what exactly interests me and if getting a doctorate makes sense. If it does make sense, I can do a post professional doctorate program (which some schools have online programs for). Some workplaces might also pay for you to get your doctorate so that might be another plus!

That was just my thinking! Hope it helps in some way! I made a pros/cons list too which helped a lot.
Thank you so much!! Exactly. I had the same thinking with later on getting my post professional doctorate degree. The only issue I have now in this debate is that both programs are 3 years, which defeats the purpose of a master's program being shorter.

I'm also in the same boat as you!! I don't know what to decide as both programs I was accepted into are 3 years. I was going to choose the master's program because the tuition is cheaper but the location of the school has a really high cost of living and I think I would have to purchase a car my first year (im out of state) vs the OTD program which is in a cheaper area and state even though the tuition is higher... So I've honestly been leaning toward just going for the OTD program (of course while considering the other factors as well)... but i'm still really on the edge about it!

Good luck in your decision making!!

I completely agree - I just want to go out and practice OT! If I want to go on further when I’m more experienced in OT, then I can choose to do that then.

Has anyone heard from Elmhurst within this past week? I was also wondering if anyone was giving up their spot at UIC or removing their name from the waitlist? :)

Hello! Has anyone heard how the program is at University of St Augustine in San Marcos? I was hoping to get a few people’s input because I know they emphasized how classes are 50% online and 50% in person so I’m not really sure how to feel about that.

Hello! Has anyone heard how the program is at University of St Augustine in San Marcos? I was hoping to get a few people’s input because I know they emphasized how classes are 50% online and 50% in person so I’m not really sure how to feel about that.
I know two students there and it varies each trimester; sometimes more in person, sometimes more online. However, due to current quarantine, everything is online for a while. Hopefully by the time most start in Fall, it will be hybrid again. We'll see! *One student mentioned the benefit of lectures being online is that you can review them anytime and as often as needed, and while in jammies at home or outside etc; not stuck in classroom. But labs and meetings are done in person with feedback from professors and fellow classmates.

I know two students there and it varies each trimester; sometimes more in person, sometimes more online. However, due to current quarantine, everything is online for a while. Hopefully by the time most start in Fall, it will be hybrid again. We'll see! *One student mentioned the benefit of lectures being online is that you can review them anytime and as often as needed, and while in jammies at home or outside etc; not stuck in classroom. But labs and meetings are done in person with feedback from professors and fellow classmates.
Thank you so much for the input! :)

Hey everyone! I’m more than likely overthinking this but i would appreciate help anyways!

How should we answer when they ask “tell me about yourself” should it be about education? Personal?
I’m not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! I’m more than likely overthinking this but i would appreciate help anyways!

How should we answer when they ask “tell me about yourself” should it be about education? Personal?
I’m not sure

Tell me about yourself:

1) I just graduated from ________ and worked as a rehab aide for the past couple of years. I really loved working with kids so the clinic so I volunteered at ______ (share your experience volunteering).

So I think a mixture of both is good. I always tied it back to OT. For my case as a non-traditional student, I worked a couple years at a school in Finance and missed volunteering (when I was in college) at OT clinic. So I decided for a career change. :)

Happy OT month everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone heard from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee? Letters should have been sent out already for regular admit applicants

Has anyone heard from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee? Letters should have been sent out already for regular admit applicants

I am also still waiting. I see that many people have heard back from them, so I wonder what that means for us.

I actually emailed them last friday and they responded saying that they have sent out some letters offering admission but do not have a full cohort yet. They also said that waitlist letters should be out within the next 2 weeks (so now probably within the next week). Good luck! Hope you hear good news :)

I already posted my stats and that, but I just wanted to update as my cycle is now complete.

University: Cal State
Major: Literature
Minor: Creative Writing
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: didn't take

Shadow Hours: 51 hippotherapy, 8 inpatient, 28 hand
Volunteer Hours: 46 hospice, 30 local books for kids non profit, 15 Miracle League
LOR: 2 OTs, 1 current employer, 1 stats professor

Applied to: West Coast (Masters), Midwestern AZ (Masters), ATSU (Masters), Abilene Christian TX (Masters), Touro NV (Doctorate), UNLV (Doctorate)
Admitted: Touro, Abilene Christian, UNLV, West Coast (waitlisted, but quickly pulled off)
Waitlisted: Midwestern AZ
?: ATSU
Accepted: Touro

I did follow up with ATSU in December (I sent in my secondary materials in October), and they just told me it would take them up to 18 weeks to review applications. Then, crickets. They may still send me a rejection notice. I feel like I earned/paid for one at the very least.

Congratulations to everyone who survived this cycle, and good luck to those entering the new one (especially with the current uncertainty surrounding everything).

Has anyone heard back from Midwestern University IL on their status? Anyone got accepted off the waitlist yet?

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone was in same boat as me and put in a deposit for a school earlier in the year, but then got accepted to a different school later on. Is it wrong to withdraw your seat after being accepted and how do you notify that school that you no longer are interested in attending?

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone was in same boat as me and put in a deposit for a school earlier in the year, but then got accepted to a different school later on. Is it wrong to withdraw your seat after being accepted and how do you notify that school that you no longer are interested in attending?

I mean you got to do what is best for you and by informing them ASAP is good. I am sure most schools are aware of this, but a nice email to them should do. For me I was admitted to USA- San Marcos, but was accepted by SJSU in March. So I wrote to USA San Marcos to decline my seat and they refunded me the $400 of the $500 deposit they collected, which I thought was fair.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,

I am waitlisted at Dominican University in Northern California. The thread for that is currently dead. Just wondering if anyone is hearing back from any schools since COVID 19. I do not know if they are accepting people at a slower rate or whatnot. I am too scared to call because the one time I called a school I got a denial letter that same day.
Thank you!

Hey Everyone,

I am waitlisted at Dominican University in Northern California. The thread for that is currently dead. Just wondering if anyone is hearing back from any schools since COVID 19. I do not know if they are accepting people at a slower rate or whatnot. I am too scared to call because the one time I called a school I got a denial letter that same day.
Thank you!
I'm waiting on financial aid from one school and an admission decision from another school. I was supposed to get both late March/early April but haven't heard anything from either school. I haven't contacted them since I just assumed with everything going on everyone is out of the office and I'm not sure what remote admissions looks like and I just assume I wouldn't hear anything. I don't think contacting them is a bad thing! I'm sure a lot of people are plus you're just looking for whatever information they have

I posted before asking a similar question when deciding between schools. But I was also wondering on someone's input if there is a difference or advantage of doing an Entry-Level Doctorate program or first getting your master's and then going through with a Post-Professional Doctorate program. Because I have heard that entry-level doctorate has the same opportunities as entry-level masters, so would it be better to get a masters and then attend a post-professional doctorate program?

I'm waiting on financial aid from one school and an admission decision from another school. I was supposed to get both late March/early April but haven't heard anything from either school. I haven't contacted them since I just assumed with everything going on everyone is out of the office and I'm not sure what remote admissions looks like and I just assume I wouldn't hear anything. I don't think contacting them is a bad thing! I'm sure a lot of people are plus you're just looking for whatever information they have
Hmm okay, thank you! I'm just nervous this is the only school I got even a chance of getting into. Lol

Thank you! Good luck btw

PSA To anyone that really wanted to go to St Catherine’s in St Paul. I was rejected from there in February, but due to COVID 19 their entire waitlist said no and they just today offered me a seat. I declined as I am attending Concordia Wisconsin. But heads up to anyone that was looking to go there. Who knew that one could get rejected and get a seat

PSA To anyone that really wanted to go to St Catherine’s in St Paul. I was rejected from there in February, but due to COVID 19 their entire waitlist said no and they just today offered me a seat. I declined as I am attending Concordia Wisconsin. But heads up to anyone that was looking to go there. Who knew that one could get rejected and get a seat
Omg that gives me hope for the school I'm waitlisted on<3 good luck

Hey guys I was wondering how other OT programs are looking like due to the pandemic.

USC's summer session got moved to virtual learning.