Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No news is definitely good news - I got my rejection email yesterday! hooray! Last year I didn't hear until March. The year before that I heard at the veeeeeery end of March.
That is one of the cheeriest receptions of a rejection EVER!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, Whyevernot55. This whole vet school application things blows great big chunks.

I think I'm over it.

Just wanted to say thank you to all the students who gave the tours today. I completely fell in love with the school and everything it has to offer. Everyone seemed so happy and enthusiastic about the program. I hope to get some good news next week!!

Members don't see this ad :)
No news is definitely good news - I got my rejection email yesterday! hooray! Last year I didn't hear until March. The year before that I heard at the veeeeeery end of March.

Well poo poos on them! I'm sure you rocked your Tufts interview though so they better not let you down again **cracks knuckles**

Being a sock stinks... sometimes the wind picks up and I feel cheery, then the wind dies down, and it makes me feel sad.

Anyways... I agree with the sentiments about Bisbee!!!!!!! I hope you get in, you deserves it. :)

Well poo poos on them! I'm sure you rocked your Tufts interview though so they better not let you down again **cracks knuckles**

I sure hope so! Thanks for the support everyone. Penn shows me no love. But I'm SO busy right now I can basically ignore the whole thing, so at least I'm not wallowing in my sadness!

Being a sock stinks... sometimes the wind picks up and I feel cheery, then the wind dies down, and it makes me feel sad.

Anyways... I agree with the sentiments about Bisbee!!!!!!! I hope you get in, you deserves it. :)

The support I feel from all of you here is amazing! I want to get in to Penn so very much. I think it's the best place for me for so many reasons: quality of program and faculty, fellow students, location (closest vet school to visit my two adult children), there's just something about Penn that has a pull on me. I think all of us "socks" on the clothes line feel this way. Here's hoping that some people who are already accepted decide to go elsewhere if Penn is not their #1 so that we get our chance at this amazing school. It would be great to be classmates with others who feel the same way about Penn and travel this road to becoming vets together (through good times and bad). We already have a great SDN support system going, so I know it would get us through the rigors of vet school, too. Best of luck! We all deserve it!

The support I feel from all of you here is amazing! I want to get in to Penn so very much. I think it's the best place for me for so many reasons: quality of program and faculty, fellow students, location (closest vet school to visit my two adult children), there's just something about Penn that has a pull on me. I think all of us "socks" on the clothes line feel this way. Here's hoping that some people who are already accepted decide to go elsewhere if Penn is not their #1 so that we get our chance at this amazing school. It would be great to be classmates with others who feel the same way about Penn and travel this road to becoming vets together (through good times and bad). We already have a great SDN support system going, so I know it would get us through the rigors of vet school, too. Best of luck! We all deserve it!

If it helps... I am planning on declining any offer I get from Penn. Not that I'm even expecting one, but there is one less person in your way now! :D :luck::luck::luck:

If it helps... I am planning on declining any offer I get from Penn. Not that I'm even expecting one, but there is one less person in your way now! :D :luck::luck::luck:
But you are one of the people I wanted to be classmates with! However, I see you've got your FL c/o 2016 there under your name, so in truth I am so very happy for you (as you know). Things are looking up for you in so many ways.

But you are one of the people I wanted to be classmates with! However, I see you've got your FL c/o 2016 there under your name, so in truth I am so very happy for you (as you know). Things are looking up for you in so many ways.

Being classmates would have been awesome, but to be honest, Penn was definitely on the lower end of my list. Mostly because of the area it's in and how much it costs! :eek: Fantastic program, just not sure if I would have been as happy there as people like you will be! :D:xf::xf::xf::luck::xf::xf::xf:

Does anybody know anything about Hold status?

I was wondering the same thing, I just got a similar email. If anyone has any light to shed on this that'd be great! I'm assuming it's like a wait list, but not sure?

if i'm not mistaken, i think the hold status is used when they want to wait until more interviews are conducted to make a decision as to acceptance/rejection (correct me if i'm wrong). since penn still has more interview days coming up, it probably means they couldn't make a decision yet? and want to wait a little longer after more interviews are conducted.

good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing, I just got a similar email. If anyone has any light to shed on this that'd be great! I'm assuming it's like a wait list, but not sure?
Did you already interview and then get this "Hold Status" email, or have you not interviewed?

Did you already interview and then get this "Hold Status" email, or have you not interviewed?

I interviewed on Friday. I think what sunnex said is what it means/was what I was thinking. While it is not an acceptance, I guess it is much more a good thing than a bad thing! I think it basically means they will compare my application again at the next group of interviewees, or the next, etc. Hoping for a good outcome :)

I interviewed on Friday. I think what sunnex said is what it means/was what I was thinking. While it is not an acceptance, I guess it is much more a good thing than a bad thing! I think it basically means they will compare my application again at the next group of interviewees, or the next, etc. Hoping for a good outcome :)
Well, best of luck to you. I'm sure you were probably hoping to hear that you got in by now. It's been a long wait. It seems several people will be withdrawing their applications, so it'll probably work out for you.

Well, best of luck to you. I'm sure you were probably hoping to hear that you got in by now. It's been a long wait. It seems several people will be withdrawing their applications, so it'll probably work out for you.

Yes! I think I am mostly frustrated because I told myself I would know by this week! And i think right now it is more a matter of how i compare to the people that havent interviewed yet rather than people declining. Oh well, i still haven't interviewed at Virginia-Maryland yet which is my IS so I wouldn't have had my decision made yet anyway...congrats to anyone that got accepted this weekend and I hope interview invites are coming to the rest of you soon!

Does anyone know when more rejections and interviews will go out?

if i'm not mistaken, i think the hold status is used when they want to wait until more interviews are conducted to make a decision as to acceptance/rejection (correct me if i'm wrong). since penn still has more interview days coming up, it probably means they couldn't make a decision yet? and want to wait a little longer after more interviews are conducted.

good luck! :luck:

This is exactly what it means. After interviews on each Friday, your application will be tossed out on the table again for them to make a decision. It's quite possible you won't hear anything until mid-late March. I was put on "hold" last year after my interview in Feb and ended up on the wait list. Wish I would have at least gotten that much this year.

This is exactly what it means. After interviews on each Friday, your application will be tossed out on the table again for them to make a decision. It's quite possible you won't hear anything until mid-late March. I was put on "hold" last year after my interview in Feb and ended up on the wait list. Wish I would have at least gotten that much this year.

You got totally HOSED this year :mad:. I'm sorry Orca. Rock these job interviews and you never know where it will take you! :D

For the person asking why Penn is awesome...

1. Location - no, Philly is not my favorite city. But it is a CITY. This means that when class is done for the day, I can go to the art museum. Or the theater. Or the opera. Or go for a run in the park. I go a little crazy when school = my entire life, and so I enjoy being able to chill with normal people leading normal lives that have no relation to vet school. It's just easier in a city.

2. New Bolton Center. Need I say more? The equine hospital is top notch. It's not close to the Philly campus, but that's because people aren't going to bring their large animals into the city. As far as I know there's no official ranking, but CSU, Penn, and Davis seem to have some of the best equine programs. If I wanted to do food animal, Penn wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm between equine & small animal... and I can get a good small animal education anywhere.

3. Ivy League school. Does it really matter in the scheme of vet schools? No. But everything from Wharton to the medical school to the undergrad program has a fantastic reputation. I have friends in wharton and various undergrad and grad programs. I haven't heard anything bad except some arrogance among the students (which I've heard is largely absent in the vet school). Penn is dedicated to providing a high quality education to every one of their students.

4. High caseload. This is one of the things that appealed to me most at my interview. The students kept talking about how the 4th year students at Penn have several of their own cases to juggle, while 4th year students at other schools may all be sharing patients. It helps ease the transition into practice after graduation if you're used to acting independently and taking control of the cases.

5. New program instituted in the first two years to provide additional clinical experience for the students. Penn recognized their weakness in not providing much clinical experience in the early years and has acted to fix that gap. I can't remember the name, but the current students seemed to think it's a good addition. It also helps remind students of the bigger goal when they're slogging through anatomy.

6. PAWS. Penn has a program set up with the local animal shelter where the vet students can go over and practice spays and neuters. The first and second years can do the neuters (after getting certified in knot tying) and the third and fourth years can do spays. It's a great way for the students to get more experience while helping to control overpopulation in philly.

7. Large class size. This might be a drawback for some people, but I like having more people in my class. I will get to know the 120 people very well, but I won't be forced to spend tons of time with the few I might not like.

8. Research opportunities. I loved doing bio research in undergrad and would love the opportunity to do more research in vet school. Penn has some great resources for summer programs, and you can add a PhD to your DVM partway through your education.

9. 2 hours from the beach, NYC, Baltimore, etc. Valley Forge State park nearby. Tons of outdoor stuff once you leave the city. Skiing about 45 minutes away. Basically anything and everything you want within a reasonable distance. (except great mountains. You need to drive a few hours to get to them).

8. Philly soft pretzels. I could go on and on and on about why I like Penn. But really? 4 more years without delicious, amazing, salty, good philly soft pretzels would be torture.

(only drawback? Penn is still my most expensive option even though it's my IS)

This is an excellent list, SnowyRox. Thank you so much. I love Penn anyway but it's always good to hear why other people love it, too.

You've really hit the nail on the head with all the great things Penn has going for it! Thanks for compiling the list!

This sock just got rejected from Wisconsin. Penn is my only hope. Good thing this was my top choice.

Are you going to be in Penn V16? It is hard for me to keep up with all of the names since I am not on as much. If you are, I would like to pass the torch off for "pennwe school spirit". I no longer have time to adequately fulfill these duties :D

For the person asking why Penn is awesome...

1. Location - no, Philly is not my favorite city. But it is a CITY. This means that when class is done for the day, I can go to the art museum. Or the theater. Or the opera. Or go for a run in the park. I go a little crazy when school = my entire life, and so I enjoy being able to chill with normal people leading normal lives that have no relation to vet school. It's just easier in a city.

2. New Bolton Center. Need I say more? The equine hospital is top notch. It's not close to the Philly campus, but that's because people aren't going to bring their large animals into the city. As far as I know there's no official ranking, but CSU, Penn, and Davis seem to have some of the best equine programs. If I wanted to do food animal, Penn wouldn't be my top choice, but I'm between equine & small animal... and I can get a good small animal education anywhere.

3. Ivy League school. Does it really matter in the scheme of vet schools? No. But everything from Wharton to the medical school to the undergrad program has a fantastic reputation. I have friends in wharton and various undergrad and grad programs. I haven't heard anything bad except some arrogance among the students (which I've heard is largely absent in the vet school). Penn is dedicated to providing a high quality education to every one of their students.

4. High caseload. This is one of the things that appealed to me most at my interview. The students kept talking about how the 4th year students at Penn have several of their own cases to juggle, while 4th year students at other schools may all be sharing patients. It helps ease the transition into practice after graduation if you're used to acting independently and taking control of the cases.

5. New program instituted in the first two years to provide additional clinical experience for the students. Penn recognized their weakness in not providing much clinical experience in the early years and has acted to fix that gap. I can't remember the name, but the current students seemed to think it's a good addition. It also helps remind students of the bigger goal when they're slogging through anatomy.

6. PAWS. Penn has a program set up with the local animal shelter where the vet students can go over and practice spays and neuters. The first and second years can do the neuters (after getting certified in knot tying) and the third and fourth years can do spays. It's a great way for the students to get more experience while helping to control overpopulation in philly.

7. Large class size. This might be a drawback for some people, but I like having more people in my class. I will get to know the 120 people very well, but I won't be forced to spend tons of time with the few I might not like.

8. Research opportunities. I loved doing bio research in undergrad and would love the opportunity to do more research in vet school. Penn has some great resources for summer programs, and you can add a PhD to your DVM partway through your education.

9. 2 hours from the beach, NYC, Baltimore, etc. Valley Forge State park nearby. Tons of outdoor stuff once you leave the city. Skiing about 45 minutes away. Basically anything and everything you want within a reasonable distance. (except great mountains. You need to drive a few hours to get to them).

8. Philly soft pretzels. I could go on and on and on about why I like Penn. But really? 4 more years without delicious, amazing, salty, good philly soft pretzels would be torture.

(only drawback? Penn is still my most expensive option even though it's my IS)

I am no longer a sock but a rejected sock. good luck to the rest of you socks.

I am no longer a sock but a rejected sock. good luck to the rest of you socks.

So sorry to see this :(. I know it was your first choice and last hope this year. Will you be joining another lovely admissions cycle next year? :eyebrow:

Oh, forgot to say how sorry I am. That bites :(

I'm sorry, Flutestar. They're just plain mean.

I guess it all starts today. Hold on tight, everyone.

Sorry Flutestar. I didn't know they sent out rejections today! Ugh! Just bracing myself, too.

No longer a lonely sock!!! I am OFFICIALLY.... rejected :what:

That's OK. I wasn't really expecting to get in. It's just good to know. I'll be heading to SGU then for some veterinary academics in paradise :)

No longer a lonely sock!!! I am OFFICIALLY.... rejected :what:

That's OK. I wasn't really expecting to get in. It's just good to know. I'll be heading to SGU then for some veterinary academics in paradise :)

Congrats on SGU! Enjoy! :D:cool:

I'm still a sock in the wind...anyone else besides Bisbee and me still waiting?

I'm still a lil pink sock!!!!! When did these rejections go out? Did we establish that it's email?? Do I NEED to bother my mother every 10 mins about the mailman?(I'm at work, she's at home :) )

I'm also still waiting on penn... time is winding down though, so I'm guessing we'll hear within the next few weeks.

Still hangin on the line with the rest of ya!! :cool:

Yeah. My pinkness is turning gray from the dirt collecting.

It was an email and yes i will be applying next year as long as i can get more experience under my belt. Im graduating college this yr and only was able to come up with 260 hours in animal experience.

It was an email and yes i will be applying next year as long as i can get more experience under my belt. Im graduating college this yr and only was able to come up with 260 hours in animal experience.

Oh, then you've got time! Keep working hard and you'll get there!

I just keep overthinking, analyzing and wondering about how the Penn admissions people go about this process. Did they already invite all the people on their A-list, or are they just going through the huge pile of applicants (1,200+ apparently) and discarding and inviting as they go along? Are they now on the B-list or C-list? Am I on the D list? Or worse? And recently we've also had people who have been put on "hold" after their interviews which wasn't happening with the earlier interviews. I wish I could be inside their heads and understand it all. I would think that if they wait too long to invite people for interviews, many of those people may have already chosen another school. But in the end, what difference does it make for us still waiting? Either they invite us for an interview or they don't.

I just keep overthinking, analyzing and wondering about how the Penn admissions people go about this process. Did they already invite all the people on their A-list, or are they just going through the huge pile of applicants (1,200+ apparently) and discarding and inviting as they go along? Are they now on the B-list or C-list? Am I on the D list? Or worse? And recently we've also had people who have been put on "hold" after their interviews which wasn't happening with the earlier interviews. I wish I could be inside their heads and understand it all. I would think that if they wait too long to invite people for interviews, many of those people may have already chosen another school. But in the end, what difference does it make for us still waiting? Either they invite us for an interview or they don't.

I am wondering the exact same thing! I am still waiting as well. Trying to stay positive but as time goes on its becoming more and more difficult to do so.

I am wondering the exact same thing! I am still waiting as well. Trying to stay positive but as time goes on its becoming more and more difficult to do so.

Yeah, it's hard because it's been so long without hearing an actual word from Penn itself. If not for SDN I'd truly feel like I was the only pink sock on the clotheslines! But we're all hanging in the breeze (and snow and wind and rain and sleet) together. Oh well...this too shall pass (whichever way it goes).

Aww guys. It will be ok! I have no magical insight but I'm rooting for ya! Hang in there!