Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah true that. vet schools tend to be pretty laid back about these things anyway in general.

Hey I'm really worried too because I live in NJ and sent in my supp app about a week ago with check but the check still hasn't be deposited. I just sent those in regular mail so i'm really worried..what if they lost my stuff!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm really worried too because I live in NJ and sent in my supp app about a week ago with check but the check still hasn't be deposited. I just sent those in regular mail so i'm really worried..what if they lost my stuff!! :(

Seriously, don't worry about it. They're usually pretty good about letting you know if they haven't gotten something, and will give you a few days to resend things that didn't make it. It's not like they have a person who stands by the door exactly at 5 pm on the due date that starts tossing away anything that comes in from that point forward. And I highly doubt they put red tape across things that are a day or two late to penalize you or anything like that.

Rather than worrying about when the check is getting cashed (some schools are veeeery slow), I'd make sure to just check your email and spam folder once a day. Esp since according to Bisbee, they will be sending you confirmation in November, I wouldn't worry too much before then. Just keep an eye on this thread, because someone is bound to go "OMG I JUST GOT MY CONFIRMATION YIPPEEE!" At that point, if you haven't gotten one, give it a couple days and then call. (Just to give you an idea, I got that confirmation email from Penn Nov 6 two years ago)

I know it's easier said than done, but hold it together now. Otherwise it's going to be a long however many months until you get your final decision. Esp for Penn, which sends out interview invites in small batches and not at once unless they've changed things. My year the first interview invites went out on Nov 23, but some people didn't get them until early spring. So if I were you, I'd practice keeping your cool now to prevent unnecessary anguish later.

Last edited:

It took them about a week for my check to go through and I mailed it on Sept 9th. Since it's soooo close to the deadline, I'm sure they are just backed up and haven't had a chance to process everything. Also, it can depend on the hours of banks and how quickly they process checks and update everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just started worrying a bit about my lors for Penn, since my VMCAS has more than 3. Where we supposed to specify which Penn should review??

Just started worrying a bit about my lors for Penn, since my VMCAS has more than 3. Where we supposed to specify which Penn should review??

When I talked to them they said they would just read all of them.

yup i emailed Mac Keiter about this, they will read all letters that are submitted.

When I talked to them they said they would just read all of them.

I think this is true as well. They also carry letters forward from prior applications...at least that's what I think I was told in August when I went down to review my application with them from last year.

I think this is true as well. They also carry letters forward from prior applications...at least that's what I think I was told in August when I went down to review my application with them from last year.

Yes I believe this is true. When I met with them last summer they suggested that I get 3 new eLOR's this cycle b/c they would read the previous ones as well so that's what I did!

Hey everyone! This question is really more for current vet students, but I would appreciate all of your input. I am trying to decide which biology classes to take next semester. I already have a degree in Animal Science and I am finishing up a few pre-requisites. Are there any biology courses that you would recommend taking? Which courses do you think helped you the most in vet school? I have already taken anatomy/physio, genetics, microbiology, cell bio, and immunology. Thanks for your input!

Histology, medical embryology/ developmental biology, or animal nutrition. Those are classes that a lot of people seem to be getting exempt from. I got out of dev bio. I'm going home this weekend while most of my classmates will be studying for the final. It's really nice to have a bit of a break.

I got out of dev bio. I'm going home this weekend while most of my classmates will be studying for the final.

Lucky! (Why, no, I'm *definitely* not browsing SDN during dev bio exam review. Why do you ask?)

Horseluv:

It's not a bio class, but biochemistry can be a really good idea if your chem basis is a little shaky. It won't get you an exemption, but it can make biochem (which is our second-biggest class after anatomy) a bit less overwhelming.

Histology, medical embryology/ developmental biology, or animal nutrition. Those are classes that a lot of people seem to be getting exempt from.

If you are exempt from a course, I'm assuming you could still attend lectures to learn more? Just out of curiosity, is the animal nutrition course emphasizing specific disease pathology or general concepts (physiological and biochemical) of digestion and metabolism?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are exempt from a course, I'm assuming you could still attend lectures to learn more? Just out of curiosity, is the animal nutrition course emphasizing specific disease pathology or general concepts (physiological and biochemical) of digestion and metabolism?
You can definitely attend (or listen to) lectures you place out of. In fact, in Histology they encourage you to look at the non-human slides that you may not have seen previously even if you do place out.

Also you can place out of immunology (which is not well loved class due to the course coordinator).

Nutrition is mostly general concepts. That is the class most people placed out of.

Thank you very much for your input! I will definitely be taking a few of those. It must be nice to place out of a course. Do you take an exam to place out of the course or do they exempt you if you received a certain grade in the course? Good luck on your finals!

Thank you very much for your input! I will definitely be taking a few of those. It must be nice to place out of a course. Do you take an exam to place out of the course or do they exempt you if you received a certain grade in the course? Good luck on your finals!
Exact rules depend on the class....
but generally, you have to provide a copy of the curriculum, the text, and your grade (i think it needs to be b or above.. I have never placed out of anything so not 100% sure).

No test involved EXCEPT biochem. You can take an oral exam in front of the biochem staff to place out which NO ONE HAS EVER PASSED. Only exemptions for biochem are for students who already have a Phd in biochem (like Gellabella).

Exact rules depend on the class....
but generally, you have to provide a copy of the curriculum, the text, and your grade (i think it needs to be b or above.. I have never placed out of anything so not 100% sure).

No test involved EXCEPT biochem. You can take an oral exam in front of the biochem staff to place out which NO ONE HAS EVER PASSED. Only exemptions for biochem are for students who already have a Phd in biochem (like Gellabella).

Gella has a PhD in microbio and got exempt, she had to meet with them first but they were nice to her and just talked about her PhD research.

Yea i agree with everyone else. Other courses you can get exempt from are Neuro and Immuno (not sure if you need an A or A-B grade).

You CANNOT get exempt from anything after first year :( !! I wish i knew this before!! So NO microbio, genetics, and basically anything else you see
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/Portals/0/media/student_affairs/core_summary_10-11.pdf

Gella has a PhD in microbio and got exempt, she had to meet with them first but they were nice to her and just talked about her PhD research.

Yea i agree with everyone else. Other courses you can get exempt from are Neuro and Immuno (not sure if you need an A or A-B grade).

You CANNOT get exempt from anything after first year :( !! I wish i knew this before!! So NO microbio, genetics, and basically anything else you see
http://www.vet.upenn.edu/Portals/0/media/student_affairs/core_summary_10-11.pdf

Thank you very much! That's too bad that you can't place out of micro or genetics. :-(. Thanks for all of your help everyone! I know you all are busy with vet school.

It's now November and I'm thinking that Penn will be contacting us (applicants) with tracking information so we can make sure all of our information has been received by the admissions office. I don't think the interviews will begin until after the first of the year, though. I guess I can put that on the back burner for now. It's hard because many other schools have already started while we wait. Oh well...all in due course.

It's now November and I'm thinking that Penn will be contacting us (applicants) with tracking information so we can make sure all of our information has been received by the admissions office. I don't think the interviews will begin until after the first of the year, though. I guess I can put that on the back burner for now. It's hard because many other schools have already started while we wait. Oh well...all in due course.

I had an "application is complete letter" received Monday and a list of all the transcripts sent to me. Says interview invites will be sent weekly late december through march (and they stressed in batches). Hope this helps!

I also got mine last Thursday, so the acknowledgement letters are probably sent out in bunches like the interview invites are. Hoping for an earlier interview this time around.

Oh, okay guys, thanks. I haven't gotten that letter yet. Was it in email or snail mail?

Thank you very much! That's too bad that you can't place out of micro or genetics. :-(. Thanks for all of your help everyone! I know you all are busy with vet school.

I took both genetics and microbio before veterinary school and found that there was very little (if any) overlap between the two. Genetics is actually pretty fun -- we had an open book take home exam and had to write a "paper" on a genetic disease.

Oh, okay guys, thanks. I haven't gotten that letter yet. Was it in email or snail mail?

Email from a Malcom J Keiter. Check your spam bc I didn't realize what it was until I opened it.

Doesn't look like anything in the spam. I guess I'll wait it out a few days. Thanks.

Well, at least we're not the only one! I'm sure they're doing this in batches and we'll hear soon.

When I applied some people got a postcard and some got an email (depending on if they were missing anything or not). Maybe one is taking longer than the other? And it's not a big deal if you're missing something - they will let you re-send it.

When I applied some people got a postcard and some got an email (depending on if they were missing anything or not). Maybe one is taking longer than the other? And it's not a big deal if you're missing something - they will let you re-send it.

A postcard? Reminiscent of when Berkeley sent my acceptance letter by postcard. Gosh darnit I wanted a fatty envelope! I'm convinced that's why I rejected them lol

sit tight everyone!!! I was freaking out about something and my mom said "is this how you are going to be for the next 5 months?":rolleyes:

I took both genetics and microbio before veterinary school and found that there was very little (if any) overlap between the two. Genetics is actually pretty fun -- we had an open book take home exam and had to write a "paper" on a genetic disease.

Does the microbiology course focus more on specific causes of disease and less on the basic principles? Did you have to learn how to gram stain? I have taken a general microbiology course, but my school also offers "medical microbiology". I was considering taking this next Spring. I'm glad to hear that genetics is interesting! My general genetics class was very boring and I was definitely dreading taking genetics again.

I spoke to Roseanne the other day about sending in updates for my application. She said the final day to do so is December 1st because that's when they begin reviewing apps, so hopefully this isn't any indication as to the order they'll send out interview invites. Sit tight everyone!

A postcard? Reminiscent of when Berkeley sent my acceptance letter by postcard. Gosh darnit I wanted a fatty envelope! I'm convinced that's why I rejected them lol

sit tight everyone!!! I was freaking out about something and my mom said "is this how you are going to be for the next 5 months?":rolleyes:

Yeah I got a postcard saying they needed my GRE scores or something (I took the GRE pretty late and had to fax them my copy).

The actual acceptance letter is a real letter, although a lot of interviewers call you and do your acceptance over the phone too.

Does the microbiology course focus more on specific causes of disease and less on the basic principles? Did you have to learn how to gram stain? I have taken a general microbiology course, but my school also offers "medical microbiology". I was considering taking this next Spring. I'm glad to hear that genetics is interesting! My general genetics class was very boring and I was definitely dreading taking genetics again.

Yea. It is definitely different than undergrad Micro. For example, some lectures we had were on staph, strep, mycobacteria, actinomycetes, spirochtetes, rickettsiales, enterobacteria, etc. A lot about zoonotic diseases, pathogenesis, hosts, vectors, life cycles, clinical signs....

You do do gram stains in lab but that is not the emphasis. You do many different tests. Micro lab was actually really fun! I even got to work with Salmonella!!!

Micro lab was actually really fun!

Actually really fun?! Actually?! as in you didn't expect microbio to be just the best thing ever under the sun?! tsk tsk BlacKAT.

ps. I had fun hanging out the other day! I'm coming to happy hour this week, will you be there?!

Yea. It is definitely different than undergrad Micro. For example, some lectures we had were on staph, strep, mycobacteria, actinomycetes, spirochtetes, rickettsiales, enterobacteria, etc. A lot about zoonotic diseases, pathogenesis, hosts, vectors, life cycles, clinical signs....

You do do gram stains in lab but that is not the emphasis. You do many different tests. Micro lab was actually really fun! I even got to work with Salmonella!!!

Haha. I'm really excited to take micro again actually. I took it abroad and the lab was definitely not up to the standard I was expecting. I inoculated an apple with penicillium. =/ Sometimes I wonder if it would have been different if I had done it through the Biomed school vs just the biology school. I did prep my school's micro lab throughout undergrad so I gained a lot of experience that way, but I was always jealous that I never actually got to perform all the tests.

Actually really fun?! Actually?! as in you didn't expect microbio to be just the best thing ever under the sun?! tsk tsk BlacKAT.

ps. I had fun hanging out the other day! I'm coming to happy hour this week, will you be there?!

:laugh: After histo and dev bio lab, NO I DID NOT EXPECT LAB TO BE FUN. hahaha But yea, i really enjoyed all the labs this year. Parasit was really fun too

I'm so glad you came to hang out the other day!!!! I don't think I'm going to happy hour, my bf has been traveling for a couple days so I'd like to see him a bit before my cramming session this weekend haha

Haha. I'm really excited to take micro again actually. I took it abroad and the lab was definitely not up to the standard I was expecting. I inoculated an apple with penicillium. =/ Sometimes I wonder if it would have been different if I had done it through the Biomed school vs just the biology school. I did prep my school's micro lab throughout undergrad so I gained a lot of experience that way, but I was always jealous that I never actually got to perform all the tests.

Sounds like you're experienced!! Well, if you ever meet Dr. Rankin at Penn (or in an interview!!! she interviewed me) if you find a way to sneak the word in Cocci and pronounce it Cock-eye (not Cox-i) she will LOVE you!! lol

I received my acknowledgement letter today. I wouldn't worry if you haven't received it yet. They are probably working on it.

Got an email from Yong No (VMD/PhD coordinator) today that said my application was all set and to expect to hear back from them mid-December or so with more info, etc. Guessing this is probably the case with all applicants, not just the combined people (i.e. me).

i'm getting really nervous that i haven't received an email yet :(

Sitting down to wolf down lunch (1/2 an apple) and thought I would check in quick before I head back to the insanity (read: private hell)...

Got my email confirmation on Tuesday (at least I think it was Tuesday). Was quite pleased considering the last time I applied to Penn the first and only email I got was a 'Thanks, but no thanks because according to your undergrad GPA from 10+ years ago you're too darn stupid to be a PennWee' note.

Microbiology = :biglove: Nothing's quite like a day of staining, swabbing, and hunting for 'bugs'. I've considered getting a masters in the subject; but I know I would miss my creatures way too much.

Bismarck - LO-OVE the holiday inspired upgrade of the spiffy hat! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: My monkey will likely be getting a makeover; but not until the season officially begins when Santa hits Macy's in New York on Thanksgiving Day.

Sitting down to wolf down lunch (1/2 an apple) and thought I would check in quick before I head back to the insanity (read: private hell)...

Got my email confirmation on Tuesday (at least I think it was Tuesday). Was quite pleased considering the last time I applied to Penn the first and only email I got was a 'Thanks, but no thanks because according to your undergrad GPA from 10+ years ago you're too darn stupid to be a PennWee' note.

Microbiology = :biglove: Nothing's quite like a day of staining, swabbing, and hunting for 'bugs'. I've considered getting a masters in the subject; but I know I would miss my creatures way too much.

Bismarck - LO-OVE the holiday inspired upgrade of the spiffy hat! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: My monkey will likely be getting a makeover; but not until the season officially begins when Santa hits Macy's in New York on Thanksgiving Day.

Should have listed "MS Paint/ goofing off" on my VMCAS activities :cool: It is a little early for xmas but I go on Thanksgiving break tomorrow, so why not?

Also, on topic: Anyone recall off hand when the first date(s) for interviews were last year? Was it January(ish)?

You want to get into Penn, you should be able to do some basic research.
10 second search turned up this thread.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=773738&highlight=interview+c/o+2015&page=13

quick answer to your question is 1/7 interviews, announced 12/15.

:D sweet I've been working in an reproductive biology for the past 2 years.. and my PI (wrote one of my eLORs and is pretty well known in the field) did his postdoc at UPenn :cool:

*has new false sense of confidence*

Not sure if missing sarcasm or returning sarcasm...