PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interview on the 15th hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dermpathdoc is right. The computers are pretty solidly constructed - the lid is metal and the hinges are firm. They aren't the fastest things, but I blame Vista. We should be getting Windows 7 soon and incoming classes should all have Windows 7. The other plus to having a computer through the school is that we get tech support and repairs the whole time we are in med school (or 4 years, which ever comes first). :) If you've got a problem, IT will fix it while you are in class, lab, or on lunch. It's great!

Vista is a crock..will be glad to upgrade to win 7 frankly

The students and many of the staff at PNWU did not know the real reason behind Dr. Flemming's resignation until the lawsuit was filed. The rumor was he had left and most of us assumed that he went to be with his family or some other reason. The only people who knew anything about the event were the ones on the board and the upper level management. After Dr. Flemming filed his lawsuit, the administrations then came to talk to the students about it. Even then, the administration kept alot of specifics hidden due to legal issues. In the case of the students not telling you the information you wanted, they were most likely told not to talk about such matters because the lawsuit was still pending. Any information/opinions or otherwise given as a representative of PNWU about this matter can be brought to court if they aren't careful.

If you must know more about the issue...do not read alot into the newspaper article. This is an issue between administrative people and the University Board. It has absolutely nothing to do with the students and the faculty. I have worked with an east coast school which had a Dean fired for malfeasence who actually ended up in a fed case, and I went to a midwest school where the school president used university and federal funds to line his own pockets...The reality is each of those schools is still standing and thier students felt almost nothing from the problems at the time, except for thier own angst.
Flemming and the school adminsitration each have thier own views of the problems and the lawyers will work them out. The students and faculty will continue to do thier things while that plays out. COCA seesm to feel that the school is working out the issues they pointed to and COCA is happy to help them as they work thru the accreditation process.
Prospective students should feel free to ask about the issues and if people on the interview commitees are not answering questions, then there are sessions with the deans and faculty where those questions are appropriately asked by candidates.
I am always happy to answer questions also via PM.

If you must know more about the issue...do not read alot into the newspaper article. This is an issue between administrative people and the University Board. It has absolutely nothing to do with the students and the faculty. I have worked with an east coast school which had a Dean fired for malfeasence who actually ended up in a fed case, and I went to a midwest school where the school president used university and federal funds to line his own pockets...The reality is each of those schools is still standing and thier students felt almost nothing from the problems at the time, except for thier own angst.
Flemming and the school adminsitration each have thier own views of the problems and the lawyers will work them out. The students and faculty will continue to do thier things while that plays out. COCA seesm to feel that the school is working out the issues they pointed to and COCA is happy to help them as they work thru the accreditation process.
Prospective students should feel free to ask about the issues and if people on the interview commitees are not answering questions, then there are sessions with the deans and faculty where those questions are appropriately asked by candidates.
I am always happy to answer questions also via PM.

I'm not applying until next year, but it is good to hear this from a professor at the school and get another point of view. Thanks.

For those of you who applied "late" in the game keep your chin up! I just got my interview invite for 3/12! Best of luck to everyone who has yet to interview and congrats to those who have already been accepted :)

On another note, to those that say our computers are good...Ive never seen so many "not responding" errors on any computer I have ever owned. The things are extremely slow (opening microsoft word/powerpoint can often take 2 minutes on my machine for no apparent reason) and error ridden. It is nice that we have IT on hand to fix things, but the computers are really quite bad to be perfectly honest. Hopefully, Windows 7 will make things a bit easier and we are getting upgraded for free.

Hope that helps.

Just for the record, I havent had a single problem with my computer since Ive been at PNWU. IT is absolutely amazing here, and they are working constantly to make sure we all have working computer's, internet, and any other sort of technology around campus. Heck, they will even come to our house to set up wireless networks if you need them too. Just like any other thing in life, when you get 75 computers there are going to be problems regardless of what kind of computers you use; the real key is how you handle that situation, and I believe that PNWU has done a splendid job setting up for this. Also, keep in consideration how people treat their computers (browsing, downloading, etc)... I also have been one of the students test piloting Windows 7 on our campus and with our schools technology. It works awesome and have had no problems at all.

Also, I appreciate your questioning mechanictodr, because when you are making a life changing decision such as going to medical school you cant afford to not be informed. On the question regarding classrooms, especially for 2nd years, this is my take on it...

The way the program is designed, 2nd year is an intense amount of self-guided study. While this may not be typical for many medical schools, medical schools in texas have had dramatically successful results when it comes to taking boards using this program design. While the learning curve may be a little steep that first semester of 2nd year, it apparently picks up nicely right before boards.

Because of this design, 2nd years DO NOT need that much time in classrooms for lectures. Yes, you do have lectures throughout the week, but not like the 50 credit hours we as 1st years are going through right now. We do currently have two "classrooms", though one is more of a makeshift room. As the school grows and stabilizes with time, like any school it will only get better. What they have now IS sufficient and works well enough. They are planning on expanding, though actual timing of expansion is something that finer details are being worked on.

What it comes down to is that you are applying for a school that is young and growing. Just like a young child, there WILL be growing pains, but with the right leadership and dedication this school is going to be amazing. So, if you cannot handle being somewhat of a pioneer and handling some situations where flexibility is required to succeed, perhaps a more established institution is more appropriate for your medical education. On the other hand, I am 100% loving my choice on PNWU and can tell you that I would never go to another school (DO or MD) knowing what I know now about PNWU.

My recommendation is for anyone who is one the fence, please come check us out. You will enjoy your time, even if its not the place for you the people will leave a smile on your face.

EDIT:

also wanted to put in my .02 cents about the Flemming situation and the newspaper article. As a student, I'll admit I was a bit worried upon reading that article over break. However, once I returned and talked with other students, faculty, and even when we were addressed by the Board I can say that I feel pretty comfortable with the situation.

When it comes to institutions like this, administrators will come and go with time. What REALLY counts is the students and faculty. If A) the faculty are sticking around and happy and B) the students are still learning adequately, than there is no reason to worry. This institution will be accredited on schedule, and I know that my peers and I will become competent and caring physicians.

Last edited:
So the second year intrigues me. Was the I.S. model intentional or has it just happened that way? Is it PNWU's intention to keep the second year the way they have it now for future classes?
I'm big on I.S. and it would definitely be a +1 in my eyes if it was kept the same.

Thanks Sandlot, great post.

I do like the classroom quite a bit as I find studying at home to be nearly impossible with distractions and other things. I just feel more productive when I'm in the library or classroom because that's where I'm in the mindset of getting things done not relaxing.

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to set up in the library with some headphones and the laptop. I guess the main problem is how tired my eyes seem to get from watching a screen all day long. I seem to blink less and my eyes get blood shot and feel worn out much faster. With a good old lecture that doesn't seem to happen.

Won't stop me from applying though. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Sandlot, great post.

I do like the classroom quite a bit as I find studying at home to be nearly impossible with distractions and other things. I just feel more productive when I'm in the library or classroom because that's where I'm in the mindset of getting things done not relaxing.

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to set up in the library with some headphones and the laptop. I guess the main problem is how tired my eyes seem to get from watching a screen all day long. I seem to blink less and my eyes get blood shot and feel worn out much faster. With a good old lecture that doesn't seem to happen.

Won't stop me from applying though. :)

The library is kind of small, so it may not be the best place to study. You can just study in the lecture classroom though. When I was there to interview, there were students studying in the big lecture room, in the smaller group designated study rooms, AND the OMM lab. And the best part: students have 24h access!

The structure of the second year was kind of a surprise to me as well, but I think it is kind of similar to the PBL pathway at LECOM, and that seems to work for many people so I'm not too worried. If you haven't checked out the school already, you totally should. I completely fell in love with it when I was there, and I cannot wait to start!

Aside from the second year being a bit of an independent study thing the biggest issue seem to be the rotation sites for year 3 and 4.

Any current students know what the rotation sites are specifically for years 3 and 4, what the basic schedule looks like, and how often (if at all) PNWU expects students to have to pack up and move to another location during school?

From PNWU's website:

The following sites are under development for our students' 3rd and 4th year rotations starting in 2010:
Mt. Vernon/Skagit Valley, WA
Tacoma/Puyallup, WA
Tri-Cities area, WA
Yakima area, WA
Spokane, WA/Coeur d'Alene, ID
Portland, OR/Vancouver & Longview, WA
Anchorage/Mat-su, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Boise/Nampa/Caldwell, ID
Twin Falls/Blackfoot, ID
Billings, MT
Great Falls/Helena/Shelby, MT

These are the cities listed by PNWU for clinicals, but there are no hospital names listed so are these going to be comparable in quality to the MD schools in the area (will there be exposure to level 1 trauma centers)? I've toured OHSU and seen how they herd their students around for rotations and I'm not a fan, but at the same time they get exposure to some really intense stuff which I would imagine is important to see.

Will PNWU students be able to secure their own rotations and will they also need to do so in order to get a well rounded set of clinical years? How many electives will there be and can you do them anywhere or does there need to be an AOA approved residency at that location? From reading the forum it seems not everyone wants to do an AOA residency and I'm not sure I want to do one either just to be safe, but if students can't do elective rotations at ACGME locations then how will they be able to land an interview?

Also, what residency oportunities will PNWU have available in the NW? Western has only a few spots established in the NW and those only encompass a few basic fields of medicine. Dose PNWU plan to branch out and get more specialties and options set up and will they be AOA or dual ACGME /AOA positions?

I really do apprieciate all of the great answers I've recieved from current students and dermpathdoc, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the second year intrigues me. Was the I.S. model intentional or has it just happened that way? Is it PNWU's intention to keep the second year the way they have it now for future classes?
I'm big on I.S. and it would definitely be a +1 in my eyes if it was kept the same.

Yup, it was intentionally designed that way. As for right now, I believe this is the format that the classes will go through unless something drastic changes. From talking to 2nd years it seems like its not too bad of a system, provided you stay on track :)

The library is kind of small, so it may not be the best place to study. You can just study in the lecture classroom though. When I was there to interview, there were students studying in the big lecture room, in the smaller group designated study rooms, AND the OMM lab. And the best part: students have 24h access!

The structure of the second year was kind of a surprise to me as well, but I think it is kind of similar to the PBL pathway at LECOM, and that seems to work for many people so I'm not too worried. If you haven't checked out the school already, you totally should. I completely fell in love with it when I was there, and I cannot wait to start!

Ya, study space is always going to be an individual preference for people when it comes to medical school. Some people love it at home in their office, others need a small study room or library. There are some study areas at the school, and most students just find their niche and stick with it. People study everywhere in the school, and like Tigress said, 24 hour access is amazing. I often find myself studying here late at night, and cannot be more happy with it.

Aside from the second year being a bit of an independent study thing the biggest issue seem to be the rotation sites for year 3 and 4.

Any current students know what the rotation sites are specifically for years 3 and 4, what the basic schedule looks like, and how often (if at all) PNWU expects students to have to pack up and move to another location during school?

From PNWU's website:

The following sites are under development for our students’ 3rd and 4th year rotations starting in 2010:
Mt. Vernon/Skagit Valley, WA
Tacoma/Puyallup, WA
Tri-Cities area, WA
Yakima area, WA
Spokane, WA/Coeur d’Alene, ID
Portland, OR/Vancouver & Longview, WA
Anchorage/Mat-su, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Boise/Nampa/Caldwell, ID
Twin Falls/Blackfoot, ID
Billings, MT
Great Falls/Helena/Shelby, MT

These are the cities listed by PNWU for clinicals, but there are no hospital names listed so are these going to be comparable in quality to the MD schools in the area (will there be exposure to level 1 trauma centers)? I've toured OHSU and seen how they herd their students around for rotations and I'm not a fan, but at the same time they get exposure to some really intense stuff which I would imagine is important to see.

Will PNWU students be able to secure their own rotations and will they also need to do so in order to get a well rounded set of clinical years? How many electives will there be and can you do them anywhere or does there need to be an AOA approved residency at that location? From reading the forum it seems not everyone wants to do an AOA residency and I'm not sure I want to do one either just to be safe, but if students can't do elective rotations at ACGME locations then how will they be able to land an interview?

Also, what residency oportunities will PNWU have available in the NW? Western has only a few spots established in the NW and those only encompass a few basic fields of medicine. Dose PNWU plan to branch out and get more specialties and options set up and will they be AOA or dual ACGME /AOA positions?

I really do apprieciate all of the great answers I've recieved from current students and dermpathdoc, thanks in advance.

To be completely honest, I am not the best person to answer these questions. I tend to keep focused on what is happening now, and as a 1st year that means path, pharm, neuro, anatomy right now :)

From what I do know, those rotation sites are in development and a lot of them are getting set up quite nicely. I cannot confirm or deny specifics (but I am sure a lot of second years could), but it sounds like they are making some great progress in the rotations. Im sure over the course of next year (when the 2nd years are on rotations), things will be cleared up. When our class gets to rotations, things will have been adjusted, as it will for the next class and the next class etc etc...... as a new school, its all about smoothing out the bumps :)

Residencies are being set up for us, but like the rotations it hasnt been a high priority of mine at the moment. The staff and administrators are working very hard for us though, and I have faith that when the time comes we'll be adequetly taken care of.

back to reading some path :)

I'm getting so nervous for my interview on Feb. 22nd!

Does anyone know/have an estimate of what percentage of the seats have been filled? I have strong NW ties and think I'm a reasonable applicant, but I'm afraid they will be so far along that I'll be waitlisted at that point.

Here's the update on seats if anyone is curious (I called with a couple of questions and thought I'd ask about this while I was on the phone):

48 confirmed
27 unconfirmed offers
5 available offers left (until the next deadline rolls around)

It's getting close!

Yikes, that is what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if they still offer some waitlisted students the opportunity to matriculate in the next year's class? I have heard of them doing this in the past.

In the case of the students not telling you the information you wanted, they were most likely told not to talk about such matters because the lawsuit was still pending. Any information/opinions or otherwise given as a representative of PNWU about this matter can be brought to court if they aren't careful.

When the board and administration came in to talk to us about the lawsuit they let us know everything they could legally tell us (which isn't anything more than the linked article) It was not implied that we could not distribute any of the information but we were told to, basically, be careful with what we read and what we choose to believe (in terms of the press article... and Psy summed this up well in a previous post about truths and untruths)

Honestly, there is just not a lot of information to distribute as it is all wrapped up in the legal system. For me, I know that no students involved in the interview process were told not to answer interviewees questions about the lawsuit, and my take on the situation is that you may have just asked a student that just did not know very much about it, or doesn't think it's a big deal. As for the accepted students, they have all received letters from the school acknowledging Dr. Flemming's resignation.

AND then, for those of you wondering about chances of getting in, I would still go for it. I know students that got in and interviewed in April. Last year's class was full in feb too but there's so much turnover in May with everyone having to finalize their spots that you just never know how many spots will open up. I haven't heard anything about offering spots for the following year's class but you never know, I say if you paid the secondary fees you might as well come and get an interview out of it so you know whether or not you would want to pay the secondary fees next year and try again.

AND then, for those of you wondering about chances of getting in, I would still go for it. I know students that got in and interviewed in April. Last year's class was full in feb too but there's so much turnover in May with everyone having to finalize their spots that you just never know how many spots will open up. I haven't heard anything about offering spots for the following year's class but you never know, I say if you paid the secondary fees you might as well come and get an interview out of it so you know whether or not you would want to pay the secondary fees next year and try again.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Seems like the consensus here is that the incoming class may very well be full by February. My interview isn't until late March; this leaves me in a bit of a quandry...
Should I contact the admissions folk and see if I'll even have an interview at that point? This is kind of discouraging...toured the school last spring at it seemed really great.

You'll still have an interview, I would think. The real questions is what your chances of battling for the few remaining spots might be. Remember that waitlists move all throughout early and even mid-summer as people make decisions.

Good luck to you.

Has anyone from Monday heard anything yet?

ahh..accepted. what a relief. best of luck to everyone. and, if you must apply twice (late applicants, i'm talking to you), it's worth the wait.

Seems like the consensus here is that the incoming class may very well be full by February. My interview isn't until late March; this leaves me in a bit of a quandry...
Should I contact the admissions folk and see if I'll even have an interview at that point? This is kind of discouraging...toured the school last spring at it seemed really great.

Just so you know, I interviewed when there were no more spots available, got put on the waitlist, and received my offer in June. Spots for this school are in demand, but the waitlist does move some (at least enough for me to get in). :D

Just so you know, I interviewed when there were no more spots available, got put on the waitlist, and received my offer in June. Spots for this school are in demand, but the waitlist does move some (at least enough for me to get in). :D

I also interviewed when there were no spots left (last cycle) and was put on the waitlist. Never got off of that darned thing, but ended up turning down another acceptance for that year and applied to PNWU as early as I could this cycle. I'm glad I did as I know I will be much happier here than anywhere else. Can't wait to get started in August.

Do you know how their waitlist works? Is it by ranking, or order of placement?

What time of year were you waitlisted?

Definitely recommend anyone who hasnt interviewed yet and is debating whether or not it is worth it to come and check us out. The seats left may be slim pickings, but those who dont take risks dont get the rewards. There are more than a few peers of mine that applied late in the cycle and got accepted, whether it was outright or off the waitlist....

We'll try and make it worth your time, I promise. :)

double post, my bad

:thumbdown:Yakima is a great town. However, I would suggest not going to PNWU unless you are Christian. I am Mormon and I feel like the Christians (starting with the Dean on down) push there beliefs on the students. The Dean has hired other physician/church friends to teach our classes who take it apon themselves to lecture us about their piont of view.

PNWU is a new school with many growing pains. The dominant christian influence is much more than I ever experienced living in Idaho.

Don't go to school here unless you want to be preached too.

:thumbdown:Yakima is a great town. However, I would suggest not going to PNWU unless you are Christian. I am Mormon and I feel like the Christians (starting with the Dean on down) push there beliefs on the students. The Dean has hired other physician/church friends to teach our classes who take it apon themselves to lecture us about their piont of view.

PNWU is a new school with many growing pains. The dominant christian influence is much more than I ever experienced living in Idaho.

Is this a real post? I only ask because last I heard Mormon's considered themselves Christians and I don't think I have a single Mormon friend who has ever drawn a line between being Mormon and being Christian.

WOW! There are some contradictions in your post here buddy. #1 is the thumbs up for PNWU while you bash the apparent "proselytizing" of the staff and admin. #2 is the thumbs down for the town of Yakima while saying it is a great town. My recommendation is to use your emoticons correctly and substantiate your claims.

Peace, love, and happiness from an agnostic.

I don't see any pushing of a religious nature here...I also thought my family members that were mormon were christian...( I am a roman catholic) as we love to debate the bible together....

that post has to be a troll

This has got to be a troll post. For anyone that is actually worried: There are several Mormons in my class and I don't think they feel uncomfortable.

I am Jewish and have never felt uncomfortable or like I am being preached to religiously. Trust me, I would make my feelings known very loudly if this were happening. I personally find the practice of proselytizing deeply offensive.

I just got an interview due to some hang ups with my application. Are there even any spots left to interview for? this seems super late. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

if money issues arent that big of a problem, i say go for the interview. Regardless if there are seats "filled" yet you never know what could happen. :)

as for the troll post, I too have never once felt like religion has been pushed on me.... kind of ironic that this persons 1st and only post is this one???

Anyone have some good advice for an upcoming interviewee? I know, I know, be yourself...
Hoping there are a few seats open when I get my chance...

just relax and have fun. We like people who seem energetic and enthusiastic about being there, are interested in the school, and look like they want to be there. Perhaps the biggest key is - like you said - be yourself :)

Thanks for the advice--the interview seemed to go well, but I'll know for sure this next Wednesday! My thanks also to the other first and second year students who helped make the interview day so welcoming and warm. Looks like a great school-I especially liked the "family" feel and the quirky faculty! Hopefully I'll be back in August....;)

So I recently interviewed at PNWU and really enjoyed the school, its faculty, students, and the new facility. I am starting to have a few concerns with the "DO route" though, that maybe someone could help with. Do DO's have any issues getting into the residencies they desire after med school? I have heard that it is far easier for MD's to match into their desired residencies than DO's and that concerns me a bit. I would hate to spend four grueling years in school only to come to the end and find that my DO degree would not enable me to match into a desired residency. If anyone could shed some light on this it'd be really helpful. Aside from this concern, PNWU seems like a great school to go to. Any other DO/MD issues or discrepancies that I should know by now would also be helpful. As far as i can tell, MD vs. DO essentially boils down to two paths to ultimately the same goal, but I am afraid my goal may be constrained more by going the DO route. Thanks for the insight, y'all!

So I recently interviewed at PNWU and really enjoyed the school, its faculty, students, and the new facility. I am starting to have a few concerns with the "DO route" though, that maybe someone could help with. Do DO's have any issues getting into the residencies they desire after med school? I have heard that it is far easier for MD's to match into their desired residencies than DO's and that concerns me a bit. I would hate to spend four grueling years in school only to come to the end and find that my DO degree would not enable me to match into a desired residency. If anyone could shed some light on this it'd be really helpful. Aside from this concern, PNWU seems like a great school to go to. Any other DO/MD issues or discrepancies that I should know by now would also be helpful. As far as i can tell, MD vs. DO essentially boils down to two paths to ultimately the same goal, but I am afraid my goal may be constrained more by going the DO route. Thanks for the insight, y'all!

DO's are able to participate in both the AOA match and the ACGME match. From what I've read on the ERAS website and SDN this is how I think it works: DO's apply to AOA and ACGME residency programs, try to obtain interviews with these programs, and then separately rank the programs in the AOA category and ACGME category from most to least desired (The programs also rank you on a list). The AOA match happens first and if you match to any of your chosen programs you are dropped from the ACGME match and you attend the AOA program to which you matched. If you don't match AOA (or did not apply AOA) then you go through the ACGME match in the same way. If you don't match ACGME then you do what is called "the scramble". I don't know much about the scramble, but from what I gather, applicants are able to apply to any unfilled positions in the hopes of getting something. I'm not sure if DO's can apply to both AOA and ACGME programs for the scramble.

As far as the programs available to DO's, well there are quite a few.

https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/index.cfm

That is the list of all the programs that can be applied to using ERAS and DO's are able to apply to both the MD and the DO programs. Many of the MD programs will favor MD applicants, but there are many DO's who match to competitive ACGME programs every year.

Here is this years AOA match results (the ACGME match has not taken place yet):

https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_match10res

You may want to ask more questions to people in this forum thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699603

Most of them have just finished the AOA match and will be able to give much better answers.

Hope that helps, and if I have any part of this wrong feel free to correct me. :)

Anyone hear acceptance news recently?

Nope. It's going to be a long day. I had planned on sleeping through most of it and checking my voicemail when I woke up, but obviously that didn't work out so well. :p

Nope. It's going to be a long day. I had planned on sleeping through most of it and checking my voicemail when I woke up, but obviously that didn't work out so well. :p
I also have not heard anything yet.