PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder how much of that is the laptop and if that can be waved. I just bought a brand new Dell Precission M4400 and I would guess that it's just a tad more beefy then what they're going to hand out even a year from now. I wonder if they wave the laptop fee if you have your own. For that price it had also be a nice latitude, precision, or something else professional. I would hate to be forced to use a flimsy laptop at a premium price.

from what they said at my interview, you will have to use the computer that they hand out.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received acceptance phone call today from LeAnn Hunter. I'm excited to attend PNWU and help it fulfill its mission within the Pacific NW.:)

is it worth it to complete a secondary if i'm from the uh... atlantic se? i hope no one blasts me for not doing a search, but do they accept many people out of the pacific nw region?

Got the call yesterday. I love the quick response.

The Poet Sings, there were people from Nebraska and Kentucky that interviewed on the same day as me. You have a chance if you want to work in rural communities or have any connection to the NW.

The Poet Sings, there were people from Nebraska and Kentucky that interviewed on the same day as me. You have a chance if you want to work in rural communities or have any connection to the NW.

Who doesn't "want to work in rural communites" during the interview?

i'm worried that my complete lack of ties would be a problem. how long is their interview season (if season is the right word)? i'm going to have to wait until my scholarship comes in to pay for the secondary. otherwise i won't have enough money to eat haha. being a broke college kid is no fun. i was thinking of waiting until my boyfriend heard back from a school nearby (he's applying for a phd). then if he got in, i'd go for it. and if not, well, that's $175 for me to eat with.

Poet Sings,

Wait until next year. The admissions director said the class would be filled by mid February, and as far as I know they have booked interviews through the end of February.

Who doesn't "want to work in rural communites" during the interview?

If you didn't want to practice in a rural setting then why would you go to a medical school that specializes in rural medicine? Going to be pretty hard to match an anesthesiology or dermatology residency after doing clinical rotations in Yakima, WA or Billings, MT.

My point here is that saying you are interested in rural medicine just to get in will only leave you disgruntled and $200,000 in debt in 4 years.

i'm worried that my complete lack of ties would be a problem. how long is their interview season (if season is the right word)? i'm going to have to wait until my scholarship comes in to pay for the secondary. otherwise i won't have enough money to eat haha. being a broke college kid is no fun. i was thinking of waiting until my boyfriend heard back from a school nearby (he's applying for a phd). then if he got in, i'd go for it. and if not, well, that's $175 for me to eat with.

my interview group was told last friday that the class will be filled by the first week in february. i think that just means that they will have extended 75 offers, someone with better info could possibly explain this. i think they continue to offer interviews into march for waitlist spots or if anyone refuses the offer.

If you didn't want to practice in a rural setting then why would you go to a medical school that specializes in rural medicine? Going to be pretty hard to match an anesthesiology or dermatology residency after doing clinical rotations in Yakima, WA or Billings, MT.

My point here is that saying you are interested in rural medicine just to get in will only leave you disgruntled and $200,000 in debt in 4 years.

I highly doubt that going to PNWU is going to mean you have to do rural medicine someday. I know that I won't be doing it, not directly anyway. There are pleanty of electives to use to set up rotations in bigger cities and explore specialties and intensive care if that's your kind of thing. There isn't a medical school in the nation that has everyone place in primary care and PNWU will be no acception, but they do want to fill the need of the NW and much of that need is in the rural areas. It's true though that most of the residency programs in the NW for specialties are affiliated with UW and OHSU and if you look through the OHSU's and UW's current residents neither of those schools would piss on a DO even if they were on fire. They are not DO friendly places whatsoever. There are other residency options nation wide and in Cali for specialties though and I will be looking towards those if I'm competitive enough at that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
my interview group was told last friday that the class will be filled by the first week in february. i think that just means that they will have extended 75 offers, someone with better info could possibly explain this. i think they continue to offer interviews into march for waitlist spots or if anyone refuses the offer.

I would imagine that there is not 75 deposits put down yet, but I could be wrong. The class is filling fast though and we're all a pretty exited bunch :D.

I highly doubt that going to PNWU is going to mean you have to do rural medicine someday. I know that I won't be doing it, not directly anyway. There are pleanty of electives to use to set up rotations in bigger cities and explore specialties and intensive care if that's your kind of thing. There isn't a medical school in the nation that has everyone place in primary care and PNWU will be no acception, but they do want to fill the need of the NW and much of that need is in the rural areas. It's true though that most of the residency programs in the NW for specialties are affiliated with UW and OHSU and if you look through the OHSU's and UW's current residents neither of those schools would piss on a DO even if they were on fire. They are not DO friendly places whatsoever. There are other residency options nation wide and in Cali for specialties though and I will be looking towards those if I'm competitive enough at that time.

:laugh:

They don't even take too many of their own grads (which could be due to many other reasons like the match process, and how competitive their students were in comparison...). A good majority of the residents are from top 20 schools in their competitive specialties. I don't think it would be impossible to land a spot in a residency at these two since they do take some DO's for internal medicine which opens the door for a multitude of fellowships, but you're right I doubt that a DO student will have much chance placing ortho or something at these two unless you blow their socks off and then some. But would you really want to be the only DO in a place that really doesn't seem to have any respect for the profession? I'd way rather want to work and learn along side people who genuinely wanted to work with me.

Just FYI, OHSU's chief oncology fellow last year was a DO. Never say never.

Also, for those of us interviewing 2/12, there's a big difference between the class being filled the first week of Feb vs. mid-Feb. Any more specifics?

I wonder how much of that is the laptop and if that can be waved. I just bought a brand new Dell Precission M4400 and I would guess that it's just a tad more beefy then what they're going to hand out even a year from now. I wonder if they wave the laptop fee if you have your own. For that price it had also be a nice latitude, precision, or something else professional. I would hate to be forced to use a flimsy laptop at a premium price.

The Univ is using Dell...you would have to talk to IT before you get there about using your own...I am a professor and they got snitty about me using my own sony viao saying it wasn't compatible so I am not able to use my computer off campus with thier computer system and it is a real pain....so be sure to talk to IT ...as far as i can see the student computers are NOT flimsy...they are good size and have quite a bit of memory.

Just FYI, OHSU's chief oncology fellow last year was a DO. Never say never.

Also, for those of us interviewing 2/12, there's a big difference between the class being filled the first week of Feb vs. mid-Feb. Any more specifics?

Missed that one :) Good to know though.

Untrue, our board scores, class rank, and recommendations are going to be the deciding factors in what residency we get into, not the fact that we did rotations in yakima. Plus, we do not really specialize in rural medicine, we have the same courses and rotations as other medical schools save for maybe 1 required rural rotation. That is not exactly specializing.

...as far as i can see the student computers are NOT flimsy...they are good size and have quite a bit of memory.

Dermpathdoc is right. The computers are pretty solidly constructed - the lid is metal and the hinges are firm. They aren't the fastest things, but I blame Vista. We should be getting Windows 7 soon and incoming classes should all have Windows 7. The other plus to having a computer through the school is that we get tech support and repairs the whole time we are in med school (or 4 years, which ever comes first). :) If you've got a problem, IT will fix it while you are in class, lab, or on lunch. It's great!

So... any takers on the whole 40% increase in tutition and fees from $30k/yr to $42+k/yr and if that is going to continue to be a trend even though there is no classroom for second year students yet?

What was the reason for the steep price hike? Federal loans max out at $44k/yr... so without private loans or a spouse/family support you can't even make this work.

Basically what should the Class of 2014, '15...ect expect to pay in tuition? Will many of them find themselve a year or two into the program and unable to pay for the rest of school? UW, and OHSU have managed to keep their tuition at a rate that would allow you to still borrow the max federal and live nicely without help from family... I thought PNWU was about the students and getting more down to earth physicians in the NW (namely rural NW). How can that even happen when you would have to have a good deal of money even to attend? If it cost too much more then your parents better be lawyers from Lake Oswego... oh wait that would defeat the whole rural physician thingy huh... because who from Lake Oswego would ever want to live anywhere else?

Anyone:confused:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I took out $60,000 in Federal loans to pay for my education and living expenses this year. My husband does supplement that a little with a part-time job, but we seem to be doing fine on that much. Also, I don't think the tuition is increasing as much as you think. The deans told us tuition is only increasing a maximum of 2% next year. I think the $44,000 cap you're thinking about is subsidized loans? Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Just FYI, I didn't even apply until the class of 2013 was "already full" at the end of February and interviewed the last week in March. I was given a deferred offer for the class of 2014, then offered a spot in the class of 2013 the first week in May. Point is, don't give up just because they say the class is full, sometimes spots open up! Good luck everyone!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I took out $60,000 in Federal loans to pay for my education this year and I don't think the tuition is increasing as much as you think. The deans told us tuition is only increasing a maximum of 2% next year. I think the $44,000 you're thinking about is subsidized loans? Hope this helps.

Did you take out a grad plus loan or something?

It looks to me that for federal loans you can take out 8k sub. and 36k unsub @ 6.8% APR. So...where did the other 16k/yr come from?

It was from a grad plus loan, but those are federal loans still and the interest rates are still lower than private loans.

Grad Plus 8.5% APR is steep.. but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for the info.

Still doesn't answer the no classroom for second year students. Will this be fixed? I know some like to learn independently, but what if you like class and thats how you learn best. I personally learn best from lectures and the library where I can focus and have little to distract me from learning. I also like the social aspect of being in class.

Staring at my laptop all day looking at and listening to lectures and then packing up my stuff to meet daily for a bit is a serious turn off for me. I'd rather not meet at all because q&a sessions are just fine in the form of an email or office hour. Besides... doesn't the sound of doing medical school online kinda cheapen the whole experience?

It's not significantly more than the other schools. Less than some, in fact. In addition, the financial aid people at interview presentations typically go over the loan packages, and I haven't seen any schools that have packages under about $56,000. This is because they have to include expected cost of living in your loan package. Western, for example, quoted a total cost of attendance at around $70,000. This is to illustrate that there is certainly not a cap at $44,000 (as the last poster illustrated).

I realize you listed prices of some inexpensive schools, but there are some that cost more as well. AZCOM, for example, or MSU. Or, as you mentioned, Western U. You also mentioned OHSU as being reasonable. Have you looked at their tuition? Just under $32K for residents, $45K for non-residents.

Further, just because a school has a particular mission, does not mean they have money.

Why are you spending so much time bashing this school? Why put in the energy to draw people out to stand up for it? Personally, I'm very happy that the NW has another medical school, and I would likely choose it over Western. I interviewed at Western, and am about to interview at PNWU. Different places are good fits for different people. Western has excellent credentials, but I did not like it. Yet I'm over here on forums for schools I am interested in, instead of harassing people on the Western thread and telling them that they're in a backup program for UCLA, like you're trying to do here. What's the point? Are you so disillusioned with the price tag that you're trying to scare people off?

Finally, I do not have parents from Lake Oswego. Considering that you were wrong on the cap on loans, I don't feel a need to go into a sob story about the poverty I grew up in, or the fact that at any point past about the age of 21 I've made more money than either of my parents. Getting help from family is not an option for a lot of people.

If you are really interested, there are state and federal programs that give additional money, tax breaks, and loan repayment assistance to people who are willing to work in rural areas. Yes, I'm one of those people. If you're genuinely interested, do a genuine search.

The online classroom thing does seem unappealing, but you seem kind of troll-like and non-genuine. Still, it's worth asking the school about when I get there.

Peace out.

but you seem kind of troll-like and non-genuine.

I guess if you mean I am a troll for asking questions that no one on hear will answer, but rather dance around with partial answers.... then sure I'm a troll.

Good luck with the interview.

The 2nd year at PNWU do have classrooms. It's just they chose not to come to their classroom because there is no class :cool:. Most of the time are spent outside the classroom at home or w/e to study on their own. The 1st year go to the classroom in the 2nd floor while the 2nd year have the big room on the first floor. When the 2nd year aren't there for classes, the first years will sit in the big room downstairs. As for the 2nd years, they have OMM labs and clinicals so they have to go to their respective places. About the online/video studying, I believe you may be referring to 3rd and 4th year rotations. At that time the students are all over the states. The school said that the students in the different areas will be able to meet in a video conference with everyone else and the instructors for grand rounds and other needs. There used to be the problem of no classroom for the 1st year from 8 am to 9 am on some days of the week during 1st semester. Instead the 1st year went to the OMM lab and used the tables as their desk. There are video projections on 3 sides of the room so there wasn't a lack of visual. The instructor often walks around the room and interaction was kinda fun. I missed that ever since we got the new classroom. :(

About laptops, the school has its own laptops. You are required to use them. The reasons are electronic testing, security, and logistics. The electronic testing allow you to know your score right after the exams. Making them all the same kinds of laptop means repairing them is easier. The tech team is always on call when there is examination going on. The internet access is restricted to the school laptop only to prevent hacking, viruses, etc... This solves the problem of the tech support having to check each student's computer for compatibility and having to set them up individually. You save paper and printing cost for exams. Any updates can be done without concern about compatibility issues across different laptop brands. IT is about a 20 seconds walk around the hallway. After they fix your laptop, they will deliver it to you where ever you may be. Even if it means they have to walk around the building to find you. :D

As for the environment of the school for those looking into that, the faculty and staff provide the students with a pantry where there are canned food, ramen, snacks, fruit bars, candy, etc... One of the staff opened up his office to provide free tea, coffee, and hot cholocate through out the day for everyone to use. During the harvest seasons, you can expect buckets of fruits and berries donated for the students to enjoy. All of these things are donation by staff, faculty, and the surrounding community. So the atmosphere around here is pretty friendly.
Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Last edited:
The 2nd year at PNWU do have classrooms. It's just they chose not to come to their classroom because there is no class :cool:. Most of the time are spent outside the classroom at home or w/e to study on their own. The 1st year go to the classroom in the 2nd floor while the 2nd year have the big room on the first floor. When the 2nd year aren't there for classes, the first years will sit in the big room downstairs. As for the 2nd years, they have OMM labs and clinicals so they have to go to their respective places. About the online/video studying, I believe you may be referring to 3rd and 4th year rotations. At that time the students are all over the states. The school said that the students in the different areas will be able to meet in a video conference with everyone else and the instructors for grand rounds and other needs. There used to be the problem of no classroom for the 1st year from 8 am to 9 am on some days of the week during 1st semester. Instead the 1st year went to the OMM lab and used the tables as their desk. There are video projections on 3 sides of the room so there wasn't a lack of visual. The instructor often walks around the room and interaction was kinda fun. I missed that ever since we got the new classroom. :(

About laptops, the school has its own laptops. You are required to use them. The reasons are electronic testing, security, and logistics. The electronic testing allow you to know your score right after the exams. Making them all the same kinds of laptop means repairing them is easier. The tech team is always on call when there is examination going on. The internet access is restricted to the school laptop only to prevent hacking, viruses, etc... This solves the problem of the tech support having to check each student's computer for compatibility and having to set them up individually. You save paper and printing cost for exams. Any updates can be done without concern about compatibility issues across different laptop brands. IT is about a 20 seconds walk around the hallway. After they fix your laptop, they will deliver it to you where ever you may be. Even if it means they have to walk around the building to find you. :D

As for the environment of the school for those looking into that, the faculty and staff provide the students with a pantry where there are canned food, ramen, snacks, fruit bars, candy, etc... One of the staff opened up his office to provide free tea, coffee, and hot cholocate through out the day for everyone to use. During the harvest seasons, you can expect buckets of fruits and berries donated for the students to enjoy. All of these things are donation by staff, faculty, and the surrounding community. So the atmosphere around here is pretty friendly.
Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Thank you for the information. Truly very helpful, and it's nice to know how much people there really do care about the students. :thumbup:

When I interviewed at PNWU, one of other candidates did ask about the steep tuition hike that occurred. We were told that it was a painful decision by the school, however they realized that it was necessary given that donations had decreased due to the economic downturn and for financial stability of the school.

Also, we were told that they are going to try and keep tuition hikes below 5%.

So... any takers on the whole 40% increase in tutition and fees from $30k/yr to $42+k/yr and if that is going to continue to be a trend even though there is no classroom for second year students yet?

What was the reason for the steep price hike? Federal loans max out at $44k/yr... so without private loans or a spouse/family support you can't even make this work.

Basically what should the Class of 2014, '15...ect expect to pay in tuition? Will many of them find themselve a year or two into the program and unable to pay for the rest of school? UW, and OHSU have managed to keep their tuition at a rate that would allow you to still borrow the max federal and live nicely without help from family... I thought PNWU was about the students and getting more down to earth physicians in the NW (namely rural NW). How can that even happen when you would have to have a good deal of money even to attend? If it cost too much more then your parents better be lawyers from Lake Oswego... oh wait that would defeat the whole rural physician thingy huh... because who from Lake Oswego would ever want to live anywhere else?

Anyone:confused:

We were told by the dean that tuition would not go up more than something like 2% a year at max. But, I fully understand that tuition has skyrocketed since the beginning, so it obviously is going to be a factor in whether or not people decide to come to Yakima.

On the plus side, cost of living in Yakima is extremely cheap. Expect to pay no more than 650 for a two bedroom. While, if a student were to live in a similiar apartment in Seattle it would much greater than that.

On another note, to those that say our computers are good...Ive never seen so many "not responding" errors on any computer I have ever owned. The things are extremely slow (opening microsoft word/powerpoint can often take 2 minutes on my machine for no apparent reason) and error ridden. It is nice that we have IT on hand to fix things, but the computers are really quite bad to be perfectly honest. Hopefully, Windows 7 will make things a bit easier and we are getting upgraded for free.

Hope that helps.

I was in the same situation (for the class of 2013). I may be interviewed at the same time as WAismyhome (3/27/09). I got an offer but decided to wait until this year (the class of 2014) for personal reasons. Well, it is never too late until the dead line. Just apply if you feel PNUW is the place for you. By the way, what is going on with the law suit filed by Dr. Flemming. That news makes me nervous.....

Unfortunately that article is based on unclear information and alot of untruths (basically none of the information indicated in the article is backed by any reference beside what was written in a lawsuit). I will wait till more info comes about before making judgment about what went on. From what I understand, some donators weren't very happy with the way they were being treated by our previous administrators. Realizing the issues, the administrators stepped down (could be that they were asked...we don't know that). Right after the resignation, there was an influx of monetary donations to the school. So...before this happened the school lacked money due to the economic downturn (and had to raise tuition), after this happened they have enough money. The details in all of this are all hush hush due to legal issues.

Last edited:
Ya, I got the letter in the mail today. This type of stuff happens all the time within and between companies, and usually takes quite a while for it to be completely settled. From my past experiences with corporate litigation I would imagine it will have very little impact on the education aspect of PNWU. It's good to keep up with it and know what's going on so that you're informed to your best abilities even though some details will be hidden for legal reasons, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I dont mean to discourage people with that link. But, I think it is important for applicants to have some idea of what is going on at their future potential school.

Keep in mind, that article is obviously biased.

What concerns me is the statement about the COCA warning. There aren't details about how the school wasn't moving towards accredidation in the correct way but has the school started moving forward since this has all taken place?

This has been one of my top choices since I've learned about the school, but the link is a little scary.

What concerns me is the statement about the COCA warning. There aren't details about how the school wasn't moving towards accredidation in the correct way but has the school started moving forward since this has all taken place?

This has been one of my top choices since I've learned about the school, but the link is a little scary.

COCA warning was because the school didn't build more space in time about 1000 sq feet more I think. The school's original plan was to wait till the later classes enroll and use the money to expand further (again because of that economic downturn and such). Because of that warning though, the dean told us they have to step up their building plans ahead of schedule (I suspect the 5.8mil donation they got afterward helped to push the scheduling up). So in term of COCA accreditation the school is in the clear and on its way.

COCA warning was because the school didn't build more space in time about 1000 sq feet more I think. The school's original plan was to wait till the later classes enroll and use the money to expand further (again because of that economic downturn and such). Because of that warning though, the dean told us they have to step up their building plans ahead of schedule (I suspect the 5.8mil donation they got afterward helped to push the scheduling up). So in term of COCA accreditation the school is in the clear and on its way.

In that case, that article did a good job of using the word "expanding" to make it sound like it was worse than just needing to add 1000 sq feet of building. Thanks for the inside info.

I am looking for some advice from this crowd:

I currently have a PNWU interview on 1/25, and I am still waiting to hear back from PCOM and UNE about an interview. With only 2 weeks to decide (IF I did get into PNWU), should I just go ahead and interview, or re-schedule for ~FEBRUARY and risk losing some available PNWU spots?

I love that PNWU has such quick feedback, but it is so sour to not see my work and $$ through at these other programs.

I currently have a PNWU interview on 1/25, and I am still waiting to hear back from PCOM and UNE about an interview. With only 2 weeks to decide (IF I did get into PNWU), should I just go ahead and interview, or re-schedule for ~FEBRUARY and risk losing some available PNWU spots?

I love that PNWU has such quick feedback, but it is so sour to not see my work and $$ through at these other programs.
Tough call...do you know when you may hear something from the other 2? PNWU will very possibly be full by mid-Feb.

Tough call...do you know when you may hear something from the other 2? PNWU will very possibly be full by mid-Feb.

I was complete in early december for both of them.... always wishing I had everything done earlier.... Ce La Vie.

Don't hold your breath for UNECOM as an out of region applicant. At the outset of this process they ranked very highly on my list of prospective schools and I think it showed in my secondary essays. Unfortunately, they passed me over for an interview. Weird, as my stats are more than competitive for their program and I showed a genuine interest in remaining in their region to practice.

If I were you, I would not gamble with the progress I'd already made. As in, I recommend attending the PNWU interview and getting an acceptance under your belt.

I just interviewed on 1/15. I didn't know anything about the firing of Dr. Flemming before I showed-up and did not like the way that PNWU dealt with this issue. Our tour guide, a student, knew very little about the situatuation, but acknowledged the firing of Dr. Flemming. The school representative said Dr. Flemming planned on moving back to his family and this is why he was leaving. I really preffer it when people are honest with me, and I do not think either individual did that on interview day.

I just interviewed on 1/15. I didn't know anything about the firing of Dr. Flemming before I showed-up and did not like the way that PNWU dealt with this issue. Our tour guide, a student, knew very little about the situatuation, but acknowledged the firing of Dr. Flemming. The school representative said Dr. Flemming planned on moving back to his family and this is why he was leaving. I really preffer it when people are honest with me, and I do not think either individual did that on interview day.

The students and many of the staff at PNWU did not know the real reason behind Dr. Flemming's resignation until the lawsuit was filed. The rumor was he had left and most of us assumed that he went to be with his family or some other reason. The only people who knew anything about the event were the ones on the board and the upper level management. After Dr. Flemming filed his lawsuit, the administrations then came to talk to the students about it. Even then, the administration kept alot of specifics hidden due to legal issues. In the case of the students not telling you the information you wanted, they were most likely told not to talk about such matters because the lawsuit was still pending. Any information/opinions or otherwise given as a representative of PNWU about this matter can be brought to court if they aren't careful.

It sounds like the students were briefed before the interview. I can understand that you can not talk about the specifics of legal matters, but I do not approve of the answers "I don't know anything" and "he moved back to be with his family", when it is clear that there is more to the story. I would advice the students and faculty of PNWU to say, "they is a legal matter involving Dr. Flemming and a lawsuit is pending. Unfortunatly I know little of the situation and can not comment due to it being a legal matter." I know this is not an easy answer to give, but I really appreciate honesty. The silient treatment is also not accpetable. The woman who told me that he was leaving to see his family was support staff. The dean, vice-president, new president, and dean of students/financial aid all spoke with us and did not even address the issue.

I interviewed here on 1/15 and was EXTREMELY impressed with the school. I loved the welcoming feeling of all the staff and students. Although there is currently only one building where everything is held, I think it is absolutely perfect.

For anyone wondering, we were told on Friday there are only 18 seats left...and there were 19 of us there. The adcom is meeting today, so we're either going to hear later today or tomorrow!

I am going to be cancelling my interview for Feb. 26th if anyone wants it. I don't like the math on interviewing that late and I have another acceptance