POLL: Einstein vs. VCU (MCV) Please vote!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school is better?

• Einstein

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • VCU

Votes: 30 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chemic234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted to these two schools and with the 5/15 deadline coming up, I need to make a decision.

What I am looking for:

I am from the West Coast and would like to return for residency. I am not particularly interested in primary care and I am looking at specialties that are quite competitive.

Which school would be stronger towards supporting this goal? (West coast residency in competitive specialty... such as anesthesiology or emergency medicine)

Finances:

Because I am out-of-state for both schools, the costs are relatively similar for me.

I don't really have a preference for one over the other... In all honesty, I would prefer to be on the west coast.

Any opinions? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have some pros/cons for each school displayed here.
In your position, I would do Einstein because it ranks higher, is located in NY (vs. middle of nowhere).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else find it humorous that the poll asks "Which School is better?"

Seriously...?

Here's my two cents.

Ranking doesn't really matter much in this case. Don't know too much about these schools per se, but I know it's a lot more expensive to live in NYC. Also, Richmond is more laid back, which is probably what you're used to on the West Coast. You really can't go wrong with either, it's a good problem to have.

Are you sure you don't have a preference for one of the locations? They're pretty different, and if costs are similar, I think location is basically what this decision will come down to. I don't know if the ranking difference is substantial (39 for Einstein vs. 69 for VCU I think), but it might be a slight edge in favor of Einstein. Hopefully someone else could chime in about whether the difference matters. Can you get a hold of recent match lists and try to determine if either school sent a lot of people to CA? (Although I know that really depends on whether any M4s actually wanted to go to CA, haha).

Einstein's match list in on its website.. we always send a lot of people to california but as someone has previously mentioned that is because we have people from there. Some of the matches i remember UCSF and uc irvine- rads, UCLA/UCSD - anesthesia, Optho - uc irvine, UCSF - Mediciine-primary x2

There are more i just can't remember.

Thanks for the response everyone. With only a few days left before the deadline, can anyone else chime in with their opinions/perceptions of these two schools?

For anyone who voted for VCU over Einstein, why?

Thanks!

Definitely Einstein. They have a great reputation and the cost of living in the Bronx is really cheap compared to the rest of NYC! Their subsidized housing is the least expensive housing out of any med school that I've been to.

I'm sure VCU is great, but I would choose Einstein over it any day.

I was under the impression that a NY school might carry a little more clout with the west coast than MCV...any perceived truth to this?

I'm from NY and Einstein's reputation is UNREAL. So go EINSTEIN!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.