This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

govols16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied this cycle and it is looking like I may not get in anywhere. I am curious as to what you all think would be a good move during my gap year. I am looking at either enrolling in a one year post-bacc/masters program for biomedical science, or working in a lab/hospital for a year.

For some background I got a 507 MCAT 3.6 science GPA. Had 3 interviews 1 rejection and 2 no replies as of now. I have what I thought was a well rounded application with shadowing, research, clinical experience, volunteer work, leadership positions, and other stuff. Please let me know what you think or if you have any advice in regards to one year programs during the gap year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't gotten any replies from the other two, I would wait to see what happens. Remember, a "no reply" doesn't equal a rejection. However, I would have a backup plan. Your GPA seems sufficient, so unless you've had some coursework that's at a C+ or lower, then I wouldn't bother with the post-bacc. In the meantime, what do you think got you rejected? Did you send apps to a broad range of schools? Did you make sure that you tailored your secondary apps to each school's mission? What about your interview? Did you demonstrate a significant understanding about the roles of being a physician? I would spend this time doing some self-reflection while you wait.

You should definitely apply to some health-related jobs and/or internships/volunteer experiences, etc.

I don't think you need a postbacc. but retaking that mcat might be the way to go assuming you sent your app in early and applied realistically.
If "interview 3 a doctor you will be" holds, which it seems to unless you don't interview well, you will probably get into one of those schools so hang in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't gotten any replies from the other two, I would wait to see what happens. Remember, a "no reply" doesn't equal a rejection. However, I would have a backup plan. Your GPA seems sufficient, so unless you've had some coursework that's at a C+ or lower, then I wouldn't bother with the post-bacc. In the meantime, what do you think got you rejected? Did you send apps to a broad range of schools? Did you make sure that you tailored your secondary apps to each school's mission? What about your interview? Did you demonstrate a significant understanding about the roles of being a physician? I would spend this time doing some self-reflection while you wait.

You should definitely apply to some health-related jobs and/or internships/volunteer experiences, etc.
Thank you for your advice.

I don't think you need a postbacc. but retaking that mcat might be the way to go assuming you sent your app in early and applied realistically.
If "interview 3 a doctor you will be" holds, which it seems to unless you don't interview well, you will probably get into one of those schools so hang in there.
Thank you for your advice. Trying to avoid the postbacc, sounds like an extra year of med school. Plan as of now is to get a job and reapply asap

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice. Trying to avoid the postbacc, sounds like an extra year of med school. Plan as of now is to get a job and reapply asap
Sounds good to me. Good luck :)