Purdue c/o 2015 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nine Irish Brothers is pretty reasonable. Scotty's Brewhouse has some really good food and quite a bit to select from but can get pricey. Triple XXX is good for cheap, greasy, but yummy food! I like El Rodeo's margarita's but being used to authentic Mexican food, this place doesn't cut it for me. All of these restaurant's are located pretty close to Purdue within walking distance, but I would rather drive as it will be cold.

For a bit to eat for lunch, the Purdue Memorial Union has all sorts of restaurants to eat at. I personally like Oasis for sandwiches/wraps!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have hotel recommendations close to campus, and not tooooo expensive?

I know there's a Holiday Inn Express in downtown Lafayette that's a couple of minutes from Purdue. I would expect them to be more reasonable than the Purdue Union Hotel, but I am not sure on a price.

I kind of figure I don't WANT to hang out in my interview clothes all day, since I'll probably want to put on sweatpants and drink afterwards! :rolleyes: I'm also in the morning group (have to be there at 7am omfg I HATE Indiana's messed up time zones and lack of DST). I would LOVE to grab lunch afterwards! Theoretically I am meeting up with a local friend at some point, but since I have like 10 people to see while I'm in the state and my ability to coordinate is minimal, let's plan on lunch. :D I love it!

UGH! I thought Indiana was in the Central Time Zone :mad: Now it will be normal 7am for me too.
Yay for lunch! We are meeting up with some friends the day before, but a nice lunch wont take too much time ;).

Safe travels for everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
So for the Banquet how nice is nice. Is it like nice casual, like a nice shirt, leggings, boots, and jacket or like really nice like a dress and high heels??

I am not a pro at these things, but regarding how to dress for the interview and banquet you need to remember that the faculty (and most of the students, really) tend to be very, very, very conservative. I have heard, but can't confirm or prove, that if you don't show up to the interview in a suit it is really frowned upon. As for the banquet, when I have had to go to banquets at the Union, it is usually nice (not formal, but nice) dress and heels.

This is just my opinion and observations on Purdue, and I've done 2 bachelor's, my MS, and am working on my PhD here, so I've put in a couple of years at this fine institution ;). But hey, who's counting?

Thank you so much for the input. I have my suit for the interview and now my dress for the banquet :)

I am not a pro at these things, but regarding how to dress for the interview and banquet you need to remember that the faculty (and most of the students, really) tend to be very, very, very conservative. I have heard, but can't confirm or prove, that if you don't show up to the interview in a suit it is really frowned upon. As for the banquet, when I have had to go to banquets at the Union, it is usually nice (not formal, but nice) dress and heels.

This is just my opinion and observations on Purdue, and I've done 2 bachelor's, my MS, and am working on my PhD here, so I've put in a couple of years at this fine institution ;). But hey, who's counting?

The banquet for this Friday (the 21st) is at the University Plaza, not the Union - unless I'm delusional.

I'm all set on a suit for the interview, but I have NO dresses for dinner. Not to mention that skirts show off one of my tattoos, even with tights on, and knowing how conservative everyone is that seems like a bad choice. Would dress pants and a dressy top be acceptable, do you think? Not to mention that it's going to be all of 9 degrees on Friday! Ugh, cold.

Also, I'm currently looking at a campus map, and I cannot figure out which building we're supposed to get to for the morning check-in and interviews. Is it all in Lynn Hall? That's clearly where the briefing and tour is leaving from, but I don't want to end up in the wrong place, and let's be real here, the campus map is incredibly confusing.

Last edited:
Dress pants/dress...both are fine. Like I said, I'm not interviewing, but from what I know about it, it is all at Lynn Hall. I am surprised that the dinner is at University Plaza and not the Union...seems to be a change there.

It's going to be so cold! You think you would want to have the interviews when it's a little warmer out, lol.

Good luck you guys!

Aaaand the place we'll be having dinner is right next to a Applebees! Not that I know from experience or anything, but there's some amazing drink specials (ie. 1 dollar Busch lights).... or something!!

This is late, but I'm a very picky food person and have had a hard time finding "good" resturaunts in the area. (example: I have tried about 15 pizza places and have been very dissapointed!) My top 3?

Hunters Pub (amazing chicken / portobello parm) Taco Rico (in lafayette, best mexican ever!!), aaaaaaaaand uhm... Subway? (there's one in the Walmart across the street from the University Plaza).

I think I talked about food a lot on another Purdue thread... Or maybe it was this one... I really really like food...

I plan on wearing dress pants and a nice sweater to the banquet. With 14 degree weather, I plan on being warm.

And if you want to try out the bars on campus-- Harry's Chocolate Shop is one of the most well-known. (And my favorite! Even if it is pricey)

The only reason i am wearing a dress is bc i am staying in the University plaza. :)

I wasn't planning on wearing a suit, because the only one i have is a skirt suit, which seems like it will be inappropriate for the weather. Rather, I'm wearing dress pants, a collared shirt, and a nice sweater over top in a very professional way. I don't think they will really reject me because I'm not wearing a suit. But thanks for the evening attire suggestions, I was wondering what they would expect us in at the banquet.

On a side note: did anyone else notice the parking office doesn't open until 7:30am, and we are supposed to be in Lynn Hall by 7a? Fail.

Anyways, I'll be enroute all day tomorrow, so Good Luck to everyone with their interviews this friday!! SDN FTW!!!:xf::luck::D

Wicked stoked about upcoming interview!!!

Major fail on the parking. If you have to, you can park in a C-lot and chances are you'll be fine (it's huge, I don't think they check it for passes frequently). To be save, cut out a little piece of red paper and stick it on your dash, it could ward off any ticketers!! If you drive past the LYNN building (with all those bronze animal statues) on your left, keep going through like, 3 stop signs, and you'll see signs for "additional C-parking", head there, you'll see the ginormous, unpaved parking on the left.

And I am only assuming we register/meet at the LYNN building. I hope to gawd they have signs posted on where to go! I had a class in there last semester and it's like a maze!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
All the info I could find told us to park in the Grant St garage for visitor parking....which looks really far away from Lynn. In 9 degrees and snow. In heels.

Everyone make it ok today? Stupid snowstorm. Am staying at the Plaza (there's a WalMart here, hooray) and probably going to eat at the Applebees! Mmmmm.

There is 2 hour parking around the area. If you can have someone move your car every 2 hours, you will be fine. But since it's been terrible weather all week, the parking police haven't been out and I've been able to park my car 4-5 hours without moving it haha.

good luck to all who are interviewing today, and please remember your friend, interview feedback!!!:D

good luck to all who are interviewing today, and please remember your friend, interview feedback!!!:D

:thumbup: I added my interview feedback after mine this morning (now that I am in sweatpants and eating chocolate back in the hotel, PHEW).

And really, if anyone interviewing next week has any questions, feel free to PM me.

:thumbup: I added my interview feedback after mine this morning (now that I am in sweatpants and eating chocolate back in the hotel, PHEW).

And really, if anyone interviewing next week has any questions, feel free to PM me.

How do you feel it went!? Was it stressful?

How do you feel it went!? Was it stressful?

I was in the second group of interviews this morning - 8:15am! Phew I was so grateful to be done early. It WAS stressful, honestly, and not as conversational and laid back as I'd hoped for, but the interviewers were both very nice and friendly and easy to talk to. I felt like I answered a ton of questions, but there was no point at which I felt blindsided or panicked. Thank goodness for SDN interview feedback. Just read through it and think about your answers, and you'll be fine. I didn't hear from anyone who felt like their interview went poorly, or who had difficult interviewers.

The students I met all day were GREAT, super friendly and great about answering questions, and just generally wonderful. So don't stress about that, and talk to them! It was also great to meet the other applicants I talked to today! *waves to fellow SDNers*

Where did you post your feedback? My interview is next Friday.

Where did you post your feedback? My interview is next Friday.

If you look at the very tippy top of the page here on the forums, in the bar is a link for "interview feedback." Head there, pick Veterinary Schools, and then pick Purdue.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me!

Hey guys! I just found this website and am so stoked to see what everyone is talking about! My interview is on the 28th as well and I was freaking out about the banquet. I wasn't sure if it was formal or more casual - since its at nighttime.

My name is Stephanie (obvious from my usern name haha) and I can't wait to meet all of you!

I was in the second group of interviews this morning - 8:15am! Phew I was so grateful to be done early. It WAS stressful, honestly, and not as conversational and laid back as I'd hoped for, but the interviewers were both very nice and friendly and easy to talk to. I felt like I answered a ton of questions, but there was no point at which I felt blindsided or panicked. Thank goodness for SDN interview feedback. Just read through it and think about your answers, and you'll be fine. I didn't hear from anyone who felt like their interview went poorly, or who had difficult interviewers.

The students I met all day were GREAT, super friendly and great about answering questions, and just generally wonderful. So don't stress about that, and talk to them! It was also great to meet the other applicants I talked to today! *waves to fellow SDNers*

**Wave!!!**
I had to wait all the way to 11am for my interview (check in was 7am -.-) All the interview questions were standard from the interview feedback, I felt so prepared and although i was super nervous, i was able to at least have decent answers thought out. The interviews seemed very structured, brief introduction then on to a list of questions. One interviewer is open file, the other closed file so definitely explain your experiences and what you are interested in. (I thought they were both open and just made a brief overview of who i was :p)
I must say, I love the way purdue sets up the curriculum, with tracks for SA, LA, mixed, Equine, etc. and everything in one building is awesome for the chilly weather they have up there. The students were great and you could talk to anyone, even if they were just passing by the halls.

Parking they tell you to go to the Grant St. Parking Deck. it was super easy, and you can walk through the underground tunnels and through buildings for a short bit over to Marstellar St. then down to Lynn Hall. Once inside Lynn, everything is set up through the doors so you can't miss it.

about 150 people were interviewed on the 21st so its a huge pool that they are looking into. Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing this friday!

Also, does anyone know when we should expect to hear final acceptances after our interviews? some schools have you wait for weeks while others call you that day or the next. :confused:

Parking they tell you to go to the Grant St. Parking Deck. it was super easy, and you can walk through the underground tunnels and through buildings for a short bit over to Marstellar St. then down to Lynn Hall. Once inside Lynn, everything is set up through the doors so you can't miss it.

Also, does anyone know when we should expect to hear final acceptances after our interviews? some schools have you wait for weeks while others call you that day or the next. :confused:

THERE WERE UNDERGROUND TUNNELS? :eek: HOW did I miss this? I though I was going to get frostbite and die walking over to Lynn! Seriously though, it's not actually that far, but in heels, -20 windchill, and 7am....not fun.

According to last year's acceptances thread we should hear early Feb - I think they wait until after all the interviews are done to notify. Looks like it was the 2nd week of Feb last year (so after our Tufts interviews?)

Hey new on here but been creeping through for the last month. Figured I should join =)

It says February on their site once you search awhile for it. No actual date, so just to leave ya stressed and constantly checking your emails starting the 1st

Hey guys. If anyone is staying at the Union Club Hotel tonight (Thurs, 1/27) and wants to share a taxi to Lynn Hall in the am, let me know.

I would! Is there room for me and my mama!?

I would! Is there room for me and my mama!?

Sure breenie. Its just me so far. I asked at the front desk and they gave me a business card for a taxi company. What time do you think I should ask them to come? 6:30? 6:45?

Can anyone confirm that the check-in is at lynn hall and not some alumni building? The schedule is confusing!

Can anyone confirm that the check-in is at lynn hall and not some alumni building? The schedule is confusing!

I tried searching for "alumni faculty lounge" and there seems to be one in a lot of buildings, so...
I am assuming, hopefully correctly, that this is the alumni faculty lounge in Lynn Hall. But I'm not entirely sure either. ???
If anyone else knows for sure, please post.

I tried searching for "alumni faculty lounge" and there seems to be one in a lot of buildings, so...
I am assuming, hopefully correctly, that this is the alumni faculty lounge in Lynn Hall. But I'm not entirely sure either. ???
If anyone else knows for sure, please post.

Yes, it's at Lynn Hall! Head in the front door and turn right down the hallway, they'll have a table or two set up there and show you where to go.

Yes, it's at Lynn Hall! Head in the front door and turn right down the hallway, they'll have a table or two set up there and show you where to go.

Thanks! Hopefully Starbuck and I make it! :D I can't believe I'm up this early.

I hope everyone's interview went great today. Everyone there is super nice. Now the question stands, When do we start hearing from Purdue? :/

I hope everyone's interview went great today. Everyone there is super nice. Now the question stands, When do we start hearing from Purdue? :/

Yeah, I can't believe they didn't say in the presentation at the banquet. I asked Dr. Salisbury after the banquet and she said letters would be sent out by the middle (2nd week) in Feb. So, not too long to hold our breaths! :idea:

I'd say it was a great day put on by Purdue. They did an excellent job informing us about the school with the many sessions they held throughout the day and the nice banquet in the evening.

If I get an offer, I'm seriously considering the school as it seemed like a great fit for me personally.

I'd say it was a great day put on by Purdue. They did an excellent job informing us about the school with the many sessions they held throughout the day and the nice banquet in the evening.

If I get an offer, I'm seriously considering the school as it seemed like a great fit for me personally.

Yeah, I definitely thought they did a fabulous job! I loved the school-- I just wish the pricetag wasn't so high.

Yeah, I can't believe they didn't say in the presentation at the banquet. I asked Dr. Salisbury after the banquet and she said letters would be sent out by the middle (2nd week) in Feb. So, not too long to hold our breaths! :idea:

I know!! I had forgotten to ask too. So the 2nd week I'm goig to go crazy checking email and mail. Do u know which way they will send it? or do they give phone calls? Oh god i just want to know already

I know!! I had forgotten to ask too. So the 2nd week I'm goig to go crazy checking email and mail. Do u know which way they will send it? or do they give phone calls? Oh god i just want to know already

Most people I talked to didn't find out if they got in 2-3 weeks after their interview and it's a phone call if they get in. I'm assuming waitlisted/rejection letter or email for the others.

I just called Purdue Admissions and asked when to expect a response. I was told the Admissions Committee meets next week, and offers will be made after that. She told me she thought offers would go out via email followed by snail mail, NOT by phone.

I just called Purdue Admissions and asked when to expect a response. I was told the Admissions Committee meets next week, and offers will be made after that. She told me she thought offers would go out via email followed by snail mail, NOT by phone.

Thanks for calling! The wait to hear from purdue is going to be so unbearable! I really loved the school after going through the interview day and it definitely bumped itself much higher up on my top list of schools! :love:

I'm not sure I can handle waiting another full week! It's so exciting and maddening at the same time!!

Nervously waiting!! :bang: I can't wait to get that call/email from Purdue. This week is going to be sooo nerve racking!

I know what you mean... I'm already checking my email obsessively, just in case. Good luck to everyone I saw at the interviews, you all seemed like pretty awesome people to me... hopefully we get to be classmates!

I know we are all anxious, so I called again to get the timeline.

I was told the Admissions meeting is THIS Wednesday, and all students will be notified via snail mail of the decision.

I know we are all anxious, so I called again to get the timeline.

I was told the Admissions meeting is THIS Wednesday, and all students will be notified via snail mail of the decision.

Wooooo. Thank you for the update!

Oh no! Why would they send it by snail mail?! Just adds to the stress of waiting :( Hopefully if they're meeting on Wednesday, we can expect the letter by around Monday the latest! Something to look forward to at least.

Thanks for the info, CatVet2B! :) I wish they'd email or call us, though!

the committee meets on wed, does that mean actual decisions will be made and be like mailed out that day or the next?

maybe someone should call and see if they get the same response :rolleyes:

regardless i am on edge now...