Purdue c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS and just got accepted! I look forward to meeting everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone who is IS and accepted mind posting stats?
GPA:
Undergrad: 3.75 (B.S. in biology from Purdue)
Grad: 4.0 (MPH through Purdue)
Cumulative: 3.82
Science: ~3.65

~1000 vet hours (mixed practice, small animal, oncology department— 300 shadowing hours and 700 paid as vet assistant)
~50 animal hours outside of pet ownership
+ clubs from undergrad and sports from high school
~4500 non-veterinary employment hours

5 LORs (2 vets I work with, 1 professor from undergrad, 1 professor from grad school, 1 coworker from another job outside of the field)

This was my 4th application cycle and my determination to get in definitely paid off.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
In-state, first time applying, accepted.

Undergrad GPA: 3.65 (B.S. in industrial engineering, Purdue WL, 2019)

~7000 hrs of non-veterinary animal experience (production livestock working as calf raiser, dairy herdsman, and dairy herd manager)
~500 hrs vet experience hours (Herdchecks/on-farm surgeries ~100, shadowing food animal vets ~60, working on vaccine research trials with vet supervision ~360)

3 letters of rec (1 vet I was employeed by for about one year, 1 vet who was the herd vet at a farm I worked at, who was also my mentor and I did shadowing with him, and 1 professor who I had for organic chem 1 and 2)

Reactions: 1 user
IS accepted after 4 semesters of undergrad, first time applying

Cumulative GPA: 3.56
Graduating with: BS Biology, AS Chemistry from Purdue Fort Wayne

(The below stats span from 2019-date of application submission)

~3500 paid veterinary hours (~ 2500 small animal GP, ~1000 small & exotic emergency medicine & surgery)

~400 animal hours (small, large, and exotic)
~200 volunteer hours (with and without animals)
~150 research hours (nutraceutical research)
~300 hours of employment outside of vet med (coaching and small business owner)

- multiple leadership positions in clubs, sports, and research

- average 18 credits and 30 hour work weeks a semester

4 LORs (1 Biology professor whom I research with, 2 veterinarians (1 is a purdue alumni) whom I’ve worked with, and a managing RVT)

Last edited:
Do you have any idea how many they are interviewing for out-of-state applicants? I'm concerned that this is quite an expense (car, hotel, air) for possibly tiny odds of acceptance.
I have no idea unfortunately. I know because of in person interviews the interview pool was more than likely cut down by a large margin. I recommend making the trip if you got an interview invite!

Is the 16th a day for interviewing in-state applicants or do they just offer different people different days? I was offered the 19th or 26th like the other person a bit higher in the thread. Oh, and oos interview invite! My 2nd top school after my in-state so I'm quite chuffed
I totally meant the 19th lol oops

Do you have any stats on how many they interview for OOS?
Hello all. I'm a stakeholder in Purdue CVM who would prefer to remain anonymous, but I am adjacent to the admissions process at Purdue CVM.

The total class size in previous years has been capped at 84 seats. Also in previous years, the IS vs. OOS split was 50/50: 42 OOS seats, 42 IS seats. Due to increasing pressure from in-state donors and stakeholders, the ratio will move to a larger IS class. Purdue CVM has not released what exactly what that ratio split will be moving forward. They also do not release how many interviews they will conduct, but the ratio of OOS admits is shrinking, so the ratio of OOS interviewees will also shrink.

Purdue CVM Dean Willie Reed calls each accepted student individually in alphabetical order by last name. IS acceptance calls started yesterday.

Does anyone know what percentage of the interview score is used for admissions and How many are selected for an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview and my first time applying, has everyone started booking rooms already? Is there any other chat for OOS applicants?

Does anyone know what percentage of the interview score is used for admissions and How many are selected for an interview?
1703383382033.png

This is what the website lists! I'm not sure how accurate this, but the sign-up for interviews had 168 slots to sign up. So probably about 160 interviews for OOS were offered.

OOS interview and my first time applying, has everyone started booking rooms already? Is there any other chat for OOS applicants?
I've booked a hotel room and flight. You can DM me if you want! It took me hours to figure out lol

View attachment 380117
This is what the website lists! I'm not sure how accurate this, but the sign-up for interviews had 168 slots to sign up. So probably about 160 interviews for OOS were offered.

I’m curious why they outright rejected me then. My hours are around 1,000 so not the highest but my gpa is a 3.98 . I hope I get into my in state because otherwise I might be out of luck…

I’m curious why they outright rejected me then. My hours are around 1,000 so not the highest but my gpa is a 3.98 . I hope I get into my in state because otherwise I might be out of luck…
Yeah, I was shocked to get an interview. My GPA is around a 3.6 but I have over 5000 hours between research and vet (so we are opposites, lol). This entire process is half luck. I've been outright rejected by 3 OOS schools so far and Purdue was my first positive response -- don't lose hope with your IS!

Yeah, I was shocked to get an interview. My GPA is around a 3.6 but I have over 5000 hours between research and vet (so we are opposites, lol). This entire process is half luck. I've been outright rejected by 3 OOS schools so far and Purdue was my first positive response -- don't lose hope with your IS!

Same! Purdue was my third rejection. I have an interview invite from Ohio and am still waiting to hear back from three others. The luck part is so stressful. Good luck with your interview! I wish you success!

Same! Purdue was my third rejection. I have an interview invite from Ohio and am still waiting to hear back from three others. The luck part is so stressful. Good luck with your interview! I wish you success!
Seriously. This is my first cycle and while I knew it would be stressful, I didn't expect it to be this bad. You still have four schools that could be where you end up and your stats are great, I wouldn't worry. The bad news always comes first :) All the best!

what are you guys wearing to the interview 🫣 this is my first in-person lol

Does anyone have any tips for the interview? How to prepare/what kind of questions if it is more MMI or conversational?

I interviewed IS (and got the A two weeks ago!) and I assume it'll be pretty similar for OOS -- would definitely recommend going for business professional dress; most of the people there were wearing neutrally colored suits, blouses/dress pants, or business professional dresses. I wore my most comfortable heels because I knew we'd be walking a lot for the tour but I didn't want to have to bring a change of shoes with me. My actual interview was definitely more conversational over MMI style and I felt that they didn't throw me any super curveball questions, and they included one or two that were meant to be more "for fun" I think just to see more of everyone's personality. I also had a couple of minutes at the end to ask questions. Overall it was a great experience and everyone was so so nice. Good luck to everyone interviewing, you got this!! <3

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone accepted their IS spot yet? I did last week and would love to connect with others!

does anyone know when we should send our fall 2023 transcripts if we are interviewing OOS? I can't find that on their website specifically

Were the SDN Purdue interview questions a good representation of your interviews those who has IS interviews already? Trying to prepare for my OOS interview coming up!

Does anyone know how many OOS are accepted from the ~160 OOS being interviewed?
Based on the website, 40 OOS are admitted. There was a comment earlier in this thread that they were decreasing the number of OOS seats, however.

Does anyone have any information on the average base salary of a companion animal DVM graduating from Purdue..for the first year

Does anyone have any information on the average base salary of a companion animal DVM graduating from Purdue..for the first year
I’m not sure exactly on companion animal tack but last year their average starting salary was about 120

I believed it was more based on if they went over, but it may well be that they're just leaving flexibility for any number of possible factors that may lead to minor adjustments. At the moment I think mine's like the very last or nearly (4:00 pm)...

Has there been a group made for accepted students? Looking to connect with some people!

waiting around before check in, feelin the nausea comin through 😂😂

Did any of the OOS hear/ask when we will find out acceptances/denials?
One of the current students told me to expect around Valentine’s Day or a little earlier, but that certainly wasn’t an official answer from admissions!

Does anyone know how heavily the interviews are weighted in final decisions? I feel like mine didn’t go the greatest as I didn’t connect well with my interviewers but I’m very confident in my other academic and non-academic portions of the application.

Does anyone know how heavily the interviews are weighted in final decisions? I feel like mine didn’t go the greatest as I didn’t connect well with my interviewers but I’m very confident in my other academic and non-academic portions of the application.
The interview portion is just grouped in with their "non academic activities considered" that is basically everything but grades and that accounts for 45% of their decision according to the website.