Purdue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeys06

UC Davis Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to interview at Purdue on 2/16? Or has anyone already interviewed yet? I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the school or any advice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking first-year vet classes at Purdue right now (though I'm not yet a vet student), and the profs. are great. The classes are rigorous, and I've know people to have 4-5 tests in a week. And one guy got kicked in the eye by a sheep last week, so it can get rough :)

Anyway, if you need info about Purdue, let me know. The interview questions are based on:

why you want to be a vet.

give an example of a non-ethical situation (be sure to have one in your head. I didn't).

what do you want to specialize in? (my interview: "you know you're never going to get a job specializing in THAT.")

what will you do if you don't get into vet school? (my interview: "because we know you'll never get a job in THAT.")

Anyway, that's what I remember from last year. Good luck!

what do you mean by "non-ethical" situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
For instance, last year a Pennsylvania veterinarian told a client she was going to euthanize her dog because it had seizures (at the client's request), and then kept the dog and adopted it out because it was young. The client saw the dog in another person's yard. The seizures got worse, the dog had to be euthanized. But the vet violated the client's rights.

Dishonesty to client is a non-ethical situation.

For instance, last year a Pennsylvania veterinarian told a client she was going to euthanize her dog because it had seizures (at the client's request), and then kept the dog and adopted it out because it was young. The client saw the dog in another person's yard. The seizures got worse, the dog had to be euthanized. But the vet violated the client's rights.

Dishonesty to client is a non-ethical situation.

not sure if it really is so black-and-white....

we had a client who was seriously clinically mentally ill. she was going through a very difficult time b/c her mother was dying of ovarian cancer (which would be hard on anyone). when her cat had a small benign tumor on her face, she had us remove it (easy procedure) and then came back two days later demanding her cat be put down... she didn't want her cat to go through what her mother was going through, and she honestly couldn't understand the difference. we begged, pleaded, etc. with her to let us take the cat and care for her, but she only thought her cat was going to suffer. the vet finally gave in, but none of the techs would help her (they thought it was unethical to put down a perfectly good cat who could get a home) - and i agreed to take her. ultimately, the head vet decided to do as the client wanted, and the cat was killed b/c the owner wasn't mentally sound enough to understand what was going on... so, would the client's rights have been violated by not putting down her cat? or the animal's b/c her life was dictated my a crazy lady???

not sure if it really is so black-and-white....

we had a client who was seriously clinically mentally ill. she was going through a very difficult time b/c her mother was dying of ovarian cancer (which would be hard on anyone). when her cat had a small benign tumor on her face, she had us remove it (easy procedure) and then came back two days later demanding her cat be put down... she didn't want her cat to go through what her mother was going through, and she honestly couldn't understand the difference. we begged, pleaded, etc. with her to let us take the cat and care for her, but she only thought her cat was going to suffer. the vet finally gave in, but none of the techs would help her (they thought it was unethical to put down a perfectly good cat who could get a home) - and i agreed to take her. ultimately, the head vet decided to do as the client wanted, and the cat was killed b/c the owner wasn't mentally sound enough to understand what was going on... so, would the client's rights have been violated by not putting down her cat? or the animal's b/c her life was dictated my a crazy lady???

That is tough--I think it depends on the state laws on what the vet can and cannot do in that situation (like I think in CA animals are not "owned" but rather have guardians, or something, so in this situation, it seems like you could declare the guardian unfit and take custody of the cat)...of course, who's to say what should be done regardless of what the laws might be...I know I'd have to think long and hard about what to do--I'd be going crazy trying to find loopholes in the laws!!!!!

great point, wild. however, a veterinarian can refuse to put down an animal, but that might mean losing the client. but it would still be unethical to go against the client's wishes.

another episode pointed out to me:

one of your fellow veterinarians lives down the street from you, and you are good friends with him/her. you know that he/she was supposed to euthanize a dog for a client (for whatever reason). the dog is now running around his yard. do you report him to avma?

the answer is always yes. regardless of the reasons.

however, a veterinarian can refuse to put down an animal, but that might mean losing the client. but it would still be unethical to go against the client's wishes.
QUOTE]

true to both... which is why we techs pushed the vet to refuse, but she was a rookie, and, in the end, i think we all learned from this case. i hope to never be in that situation again.

Back to topic... I'll be there on 2/16. Two trips driving across IN in one week!

How did the interviews go on 2/16? If you could give us some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll be interviewing at Purdue on 2/23.

Thanks, Dittohead

(like I think in CA animals are not "owned" but rather have guardians, or something, so in this situation, it seems like you could declare the guardian unfit and take custody of the cat)
Nope all animals are property and are owned in CA:cool:

another episode pointed out to me:

one of your fellow veterinarians lives down the street from you, and you are good friends with him/her. you know that he/she was supposed to euthanize a dog for a client (for whatever reason). the dog is now running around his yard. do you report him to avma?

the answer is always yes. regardless of the reasons.
Well for one the avma does not care about reports. If you are reporting a veterinarian, it is to the state board where they practice. And my answer would be no, how the beep do I prove that the dog is the same one??? :smuggrin:

So, we have to be all suited up for the interview at 7:00am and sit around all day until our damn interview is called?
Is anyone else staying at the Purdue Union Hotel dealy?
I'll be the kid from Florida freezing my nards off.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, we have to be all suited up for the interview at 7:00am and sit around all day until our damn interview is called?
Is anyone else staying at the Purdue Union Hotel dealy?
I'll be the kid from Florida freezing my nards off.

yeah you do, but its really not that bad. my interview was for 1030am,but it could have been anywhere from 7am to 530pm. But they schedule things like campus tours, vet school tours, and fin aid sessions throughout the day, so at most you'd spend a 1/2 hour not having anything to do. I just brought some homework with me.

yeah you do, but its really not that bad. my interview was for 1030am,but it could have been anywhere from 7am to 530pm. But they schedule things like campus tours, vet school tours, and fin aid sessions throughout the day, so at most you'd spend a 1/2 hour not having anything to do. I just brought some homework with me.
Ahhh, I see. Thank you.
Do you have any insight into how the interview went?

last year they did the fin aid at the evening banquet.

The day was definitely a long one. I made friends with some fellow applicants, went on the bus tour, vet school tour, went out to lunch, and generally shot the breeze until my interview happened in the later afternoon. The dinner program was quite helpful in my estimation. Lots of students and faculty to talk with, good information, and a nice way to spend an evening instead of sitting in the hotel watching bad Friday night TV.

I had my interview last Friday and it was a VERY long day. The interview itself was pretty laid back. They asked questions like why should Purdue choose me and why wouldn't Purdue want to choose me. They also asked why I wanted to become a vet and how I would handle the stress abotu classes and all the debt I would be in. I wore a suit and made a couple friends while I was there. I would suggest going on the tours and carrying a light bag around because I started to get really tired towards the end of the day. I guess my suggestion would just be to be outgoing because there are a lot of interviews so you need to stand out. Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know when acceptances/ rejections might be coming out for Purdue? Also how does the deposit thing work if you are on the alternate list at another school? Do you just lose the deposit or will they refund if you choose your alternate list school at a later date?

They told us that they would have them out pretty soon, most likely on or before March 12.

my roommate just had an interview there, we'll see what happens :luck:

Also how does the deposit thing work if you are on the alternate list at another school? Do you just lose the deposit or will they refund if you choose your alternate list school at a later date?
I think the whole point of them requiring a deposit when you accept their offer is that you lose it if you decide not to go there. :) There were people on this forum last year who paid a deposit to one school, and then they got an offer from the waitlist at a school they preferred, and they figured going to their preferred school was worth losing the deposit.

If Purdue is anything like KSU, I think they take the deposit as a safety in the case that they save a seat for you, and you change your mind and bail out. I believe KSU gets paid based on the number of students admitted. They therefore take the deposit so that they can ensure that the number they get paid for matches the number who actually show up. Since Purdue is a private school I would imagine it would be the same way. Just a thought, I'm not totally sure on this...

Purdue specifically states that the deposit is non-refundable and its a pricey $1000 to boot--out of state!

Can anyone who went to the interview on Feb 23 remember when they said they would mail out the acceptances/rejections?

Last year, they sent them out the Friday at the beginning of our spring break--this year, that would be March 16.

They certainly do like to drag out the process, don't they... Is it April yet?

Everyone should start hearing soon....Got a call from the dean yesterday with an acceptance.

Hello Potential Purdue Classmates!

I am an out-of-state female student who will be going to Purdue vet school in the fall. I am looking for a female roommate to split the cost of rent in Indiana. Haven't really been looking yet, but I am thinking of renting an apartment that is within walking distance from the vet school with a reasonable monthly rate ($400-$500/month; monthly rate includes utilities).

Let me know if anyone is interested. I prefer a roommate who is a veterinary student or gradaute student---someone who is going to be studying a lot!

If you don't mind me asking, when did you find out your acceptance and by what medium?

Hi guys,
I got a call from the dean with an acceptance on Friday I'm out of state. He said letters went out on Friday so we should be getting them soon. I am pretty sure I will be declining Purdue--so if you on a waitlist at least one spot will be opening up!

Good luck.

aw crap i bet he called all the out of state acceptances......:(

Hmm... still hearing crickets here...

Ok I will be the first in stater to write. I got on the alternate list- the letter was not as "upbeat" as my Colorado wait- list. Does anyone notice a theme here? I felt really positive after my interview at Purdue- obviously that's not a sure-tell sign. Does anyone know anything about Purdue's wait-list. In dark bold print in the letter It says DO NOT CALL- FOR CONFIDENTIAL REASONS WE WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY OR WHERE YOU ARE ON THE LIST. Feeling just a little dejected today....

I am on the alternate list as an instater also.

Is it safe to assume that everyone who was accepted got a call and the rejections/alternates are by mail? If so, damnit.

Still haven't heard anything... Whatever the news, it will certainly add some interesting twists to my life...

I kind of had it in my mind that the out of state acceptances were the phone calls- maybe this was a leap....

Don't worry too much yet if you are out of state and haven't heard anything. I'm also out of state and never got a phone call, but received an acceptance letter via snail mail today.

Good luck to everyone still waiting:)

accepted today via snailmail. :D :D :D :D :D :D i'm out of state, so like the person above me said, don't flip out if you didn't get a call!!!!

Silverelf... Did you interview on 2/16 and take the bus tour with the tour guide who couldn't keep her left and right straight?

Man, this wait is starting to kill me. Damn Florida for being so far away. :eek:

i did interview on 2/16, but i was on the bus tour with the funny boy who spit occansionally because he was a tad over-excited to do his first bus tour :)

Silverelf... Did you interview on 2/16 and take the bus tour with the tour guide who couldn't keep her left and right straight?

I was on that bus! Only wish I'd had the chance to take astrology in the Neil Armstrong building... My undergrad. school only offers astronomy. Oh well:D

I was on that bus! Only wish I'd had the chance to take astrology in the Neil Armstrong building... My undergrad. school only offers astronomy. Oh well:D

I think I might have met you...

I still haven't heard, and I'm only 3 hours away!

Hello Potential Purdue Classmates!

I am an out-of-state female student who will be going to Purdue vet school in the fall. I am looking for a female roommate to split the cost of rent in Indiana. Haven't really been looking yet, but I am thinking of renting an apartment that is within walking distance from the vet school with a reasonable monthly rate ($400-$500/month; monthly rate includes utilities).

Let me know if anyone is interested. I prefer a roommate who is a veterinary student or gradaute student---someone who is going to be studying a lot!
gizmopom216,

Hi! I am also a female student and just got my acceptance letter yesterday! I saw that you were looking for a possible roomate and I thought I would let you know that I am as well. My house is about an hour away from Purdue, but I am planning on renting an apartment near campus. I am just now starting to look for something. Let me know if you are still interested and maybe we can talk about it in more detail.