This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have recently shadowed a podiatrist surgeon for a day. I am wondering...even though podiatry is usually its own professional school, will these shadowing hours still help me on a med school application?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

podiatry is usually its own professional school

Absolutely unnecessary adverb usage. Licensed podiatrists in the US are always DPMs, never MDs or DOs

If you want to go into medicine, shadow physicians. Shadowing other professionals in the healthcare field such as DPMs can help you answer the question "why medicine, and why not ___________?"

Reactions: 1 users
I have recently shadowed a podiatrist surgeon for a day. I am wondering...even though podiatry is usually its own professional school, will these shadowing hours still help me on a med school application?
It won't help on a med school application, but it's OK to list it to show you've explored other options. Just don't let the podiatry shadowing hours that you choose to list dominate the total hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why it shouldn't help, its all medicine. A surgeon is a surgeon. As long as you can explain how the experience helped push you into wanting to get into medicine as an M.D and not as a D.P.M. Then you should be good to go. Hopefully you also have lots of M.D shadowing hours too. IMO I feel like shadowing all type of roles in medicine from pa/np to M.D/D.O and even DPM/DMD/DDS shows that you have a well rounded understanding of the medical team and strengthens your reasoning for choosing to become a physician as opposed to the other options.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard an admissions director say that they like seeing shadowing in other disciplines, such as NP/PA etc. I can't see why podiatry would be different

Reactions: 2 users
hi everyone,

Thanks.
shadowing more areas is only a plus. Make sure you have MD/DO hours dominating your list.

Shadowing is mainly for you to make your decision and be able to speak about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely unnecessary adverb usage. Licensed podiatrists in the US are always DPMs, never MDs or DOs

If you want to go into medicine, shadow physicians. Shadowing other professionals in the healthcare field such as DPMs can help you answer the question "why medicine, and why not ___________?"

I am not double-checking, but I believe podiatrists are considered physicians by the federal government, and thus it is correct to call them "physicians".

However, I would shadow MDs and DOs too.

You don't have to mention pods on your apps for medical school. Its kind of a neutral bullet point anyway, not good or bad, just kind of neutral.

If you apply to MD schools, you should shadow MDs, if you apply to DO schools, shadow DOs, and if you apply Pod., shadow pods.

@Green22 do you mind sharing your experience with shadowing a podiatrist? you could PM me if you want.