Questions about UC Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarmGirl2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to choose between UC Davis and UC Dublin. I know a lot about the Davis curriculum, but not much about Dublin. My questions are:
  • What is a typical daily schedule?
  • Are the lectures recorded to be able to review them afterwards?
  • Are there midterms and finals for each class, or just a large exam at the end of each trimester?
  • How much free time do you really have?
  • If you are required to get your animal handling experience on your own time, do you get any time off on weekends and holidays (to travel and have fun)?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

2020 Dublin grad here!

Daily schedule varies from year to year. For pre-clinical years, Usually lectures starting at 8, day usually ending by 5-6. I think we’d have labs/practicals 3ish times per week? It’s been awhile tho so don’t totally remember!
But always a solid hour for lunch, with some lunchtime talks a few times a week that you could go to if the topic peaks your interest! There’s opportunities for students to present at these talks too- I got to do a presentation on my research project- it was fun!
First year for sure you won’t have a completely blocked day- definitely free time during the day to study or just chill.
Second year definitely expect to have more packed days w/ less free time during the day.
Third year was definitely one of my favorites, but again super long days.

All of the lecture PowerPoint (or equivalent) are available, but recordings of the lectures themselves aren’t posted. All of the lecturers did not mind at all if you recorded them yourself though for if you wanted to relisten.

For exams, in general expect a mindterm & an end of semester exam. Modules w/ practical components will have 1-2 practical exams as well, but usually just one at end of semester. The end of semester exam is usually worth most of your marks for the module. Scary at first, but I loved not to constantly have to be worrying about exams during the year!

You’ll be busy af, but it is sooooo so important to let yourself find & enjoy some free time! There’s loads of activities to get involved with on campus (both vet & non vet)! So much to do in & around the city as well. Traveling to the UK & Europe is super accessible as well- totally feasible to make some weekend trips! (Pre-COVID anyway 😬 )

You are required to get a lot of hands on experience outside of school, it’s called EMS over there ( there’s both pre-clinical and clinical requirements). Honestly loved all of my placements- you can do them literally anywhere in the world so can totally work some fun travel time in, or set up placements near family/friends.

2020 Dublin grad here!

Daily schedule varies from year to year. For pre-clinical years, Usually lectures starting at 8, day usually ending by 5-6. I think we’d have labs/practicals 3ish times per week? It’s been awhile tho so don’t totally remember!
But always a solid hour for lunch, with some lunchtime talks a few times a week that you could go to if the topic peaks your interest! There’s opportunities for students to present at these talks too- I got to do a presentation on my research project- it was fun!
First year for sure you won’t have a completely blocked day- definitely free time during the day to study or just chill.
Second year definitely expect to have more packed days w/ less free time during the day.
Third year was definitely one of my favorites, but again super long days.

All of the lecture PowerPoint (or equivalent) are available, but recordings of the lectures themselves aren’t posted. All of the lecturers did not mind at all if you recorded them yourself though for if you wanted to relisten.

For exams, in general expect a mindterm & an end of semester exam. Modules w/ practical components will have 1-2 practical exams as well, but usually just one at end of semester. The end of semester exam is usually worth most of your marks for the module. Scary at first, but I loved not to constantly have to be worrying about exams during the year!

You’ll be busy af, but it is sooooo so important to let yourself find & enjoy some free time! There’s loads of activities to get involved with on campus (both vet & non vet)! So much to do in & around the city as well. Traveling to the UK & Europe is super accessible as well- totally feasible to make some weekend trips! (Pre-COVID anyway 😬 )

You are required to get a lot of hands on experience outside of school, it’s called EMS over there ( there’s both pre-clinical and clinical requirements). Honestly loved all of my placements- you can do them literally anywhere in the world so can totally work some fun travel time in, or set up placements near family/friends.
Thank you so much!