RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At Penn our Biochem course organizer writes romance novels. Sometimes when she talks about T-snares and V-snares her romance writing style kinda comes out :)

Members don't see this ad.

Remember how I said that my roommate/ex stole $380 from me for "gas" money (although I saved him $50-$90/month in parking fees by agreeing to live outside of the downtown area?)

The transit system plans to strike February 2nd. No bus service AT ALL. Last time they striked, it lasted 5 weeks. I cannot walk to campus (it would be about 2 hours). Using my roommate would cost me more than what my bus pass was, especially where I volunteer 20 minutes away. Cabs would be even more than that. It is too late for me to get a job (even if I do, how will I get there?!) My line of credit is almost maxed out as it is. I just started a savings account with all of my Christmas money in it so that I can afford to take a trip one day. Will I have to drain that as well? If I have to cab it or fork money over to the roommate everyday, that is it, I am DONE. I may have to apply for emergency funds unless.... THEY MAKE BIKES FOR SNOW. Do they exist?

Remember how I said that my roommate/ex stole $380 from me for "gas" money (although I saved him $50-$90/month in parking fees by agreeing to live outside of the downtown area?)

The transit system plans to strike February 2nd. No bus service AT ALL. Last time they striked, it lasted 5 weeks. I cannot walk to campus (it would be about 2 hours). Using my roommate would cost me more than what my bus pass was, especially where I volunteer 20 minutes away. Cabs would be even more than that. It is too late for me to get a job (even if I do, how will I get there?!) My line of credit is almost maxed out as it is. I just started a savings account with all of my Christmas money in it so that I can afford to take a trip one day. Will I have to drain that as well? If I have to cab it or fork money over to the roommate everyday, that is it, I am DONE. I may have to apply for emergency funds unless.... THEY MAKE BIKES FOR SNOW. Do they exist?

Mountain bikes. I used mine in the snow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mountain bikes. I used mine in the snow.
+1, and bundle up. Sorry to hear about the strike. I hate transit strikes, they disproportionately affect those of us who are either choosing to ride to help the environment/traffic congestion or who can't afford a vehicle or gas.

ETA: My rant? I made a delicious big mug full of coffee this morning....which is slowly cooling on the counter at home while I dream of having it here at work.

Last edited:

:( Is there a classmate who could pick you up? A neighbor, maybe? Look for a "beater with a heater" car on Craigslist?

What a sucky situation! I'm sorry you have to deal with all this added stress, Trema. It doesn't seem fair!

I may have to apply for emergency funds unless.... THEY MAKE BIKES FOR SNOW. Do they exist?

That stinks! There's no other options? A coworker you can carpool with? A rideshare board or something?

But yes, mountain bikes work well in snow. If you've never ridden in cold weather, you'll need to bundle up, but it's most important to keep your knees warm to avoid injury. You'll also want to get some windproof gloves, because your knuckles/hands really take the brunt of the wind.

They created a carpool group on Twitter specifically for the impending strike. A friend of mine offered to let me crash on his futon, because him and several buddies will be cabbing. If I were to carpool, I would have to find a group that leaves the city after 5:30 because of my labs. So pooling with anyone who works 8-4 or 9-5 is likely not an option.

I live in a basement apartment in a subdivision that is about an $8 cab ride from civilization. There are not many university students living in this area. I may have to start introducing myself to them on the rare occasion that they show up at my bus stop. If they live with their folks, perhaps I can carpool with them.

None of my friends drive at all. They depend on transit. And they all live in different parts of the city: S is a $10 cab ride away, F is a $40 cab ride away. So it sucks that I might not get to see them as often. I would also have to give up volunteering unless I can find a carpool. That is a $45 cab ride one way. Plus, I will not be able to use my new gym membership.

I am already getting anxious over this. It is likely going to happen. The city wanted to fire 2/3 of the transit employees and replace them with part-timers. I cannot see this lasting very long. 96 000 people depend on our transit system every day. In the meantime, I am keeping my fingers crossed :xf:. My birthday is coming up (before the strike) so I am trying to look forward to that.

I wouldn't get too panicked about the transit situation yet. This is at least the 3rd time in the last 6 years that they have threatened strike action. It's their favorite bargaining tool. Everyone gets in a panic and then a deal is made at the eleventh hour.

If it does happen I can offer rides in and home on some days :)

I wouldn't get too panicked about the transit situation yet. This is at least the 3rd time in the last 6 years that they have threatened strike action. It's their favorite bargaining tool. Everyone gets in a panic and then a deal is made at the eleventh hour.

If it does happen I can offer rides in and home on some days :)

I love you. :love:

Today I have confirmed that it is possible to suck & blow simultaneously... First day off in 8, dragged my butt out of bed about 8:30 w/ plans to catch up on some stuff. Try to turn on phone, nothing. Plug into charger, nothing. Get annoyed b/c I'm on call starting at 7pm. Yeah, I'm not 'allowed' to work b/c I put in 90+ hours last week so they've decided that the unskilled working the overnight can call me. But I digress... Turn on the computer to contact my cell carrier & work. Attempted to log into cell account, web froze, computer went black & would not turn back on. Pitched a sizeable fit, packed up everything & headed into rush hour traffic.

Computer needed to be sent out for diagnostics b/c even the Geek Squad couldn't turn it on. About 3 weeks they tell me... I have to write a presentation for March 1st!! Phone was thankfully fixable. Battery somehow died and the charger shorted. Turns out I may have had an electrical surge run through my apt that caused my issues. The irony? My landlord is a master electrician.

Finally got home mid afternoon defeated and totally pissed about the wasted day. And since typing w/ two thumbs annoys me, I'll sign off now. Grrrrr...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My secondary rant simply due to sadness...

J.V. Paterno, 1926-2012

Rest in piece and thanks for the memories. You will be missed; but never forgotten.

Heaven forfend! The electronic nightmare just wasn't enough... Now my car has failed inspection. Thus I get to spend my next day off running hither and yon getting that taken care of. Add that part requires me to drive at least 100 miles to reset the computer. Aruggggh!

:bang::bang::bang:

Today I have confirmed that it is possible to suck & blow simultaneously... First day off in 8, dragged my butt out of bed about 8:30 w/ plans to catch up on some stuff. Try to turn on phone, nothing. Plug into charger, nothing. Get annoyed b/c I'm on call starting at 7pm. Yeah, I'm not 'allowed' to work b/c I put in 90+ hours last week so they've decided that the unskilled working the overnight can call me. But I digress... Turn on the computer to contact my cell carrier & work. Attempted to log into cell account, web froze, computer went black & would not turn back on. Pitched a sizeable fit, packed up everything & headed into rush hour traffic.

Computer needed to be sent out for diagnostics b/c even the Geek Squad couldn't turn it on. About 3 weeks they tell me... I have to write a presentation for March 1st!! Phone was thankfully fixable. Battery somehow died and the charger shorted. Turns out I may have had an electrical surge run through my apt that caused my issues. The irony? My landlord is a master electrician.

Finally got home mid afternoon defeated and totally pissed about the wasted day. And since typing w/ two thumbs annoys me, I'll sign off now. Grrrrr...

J.V. Paterno, 1926-2012

Rest in piece and thanks for the memories. You will be missed; but never forgotten.

Heaven forfend! The electronic nightmare just wasn't enough... Now my car has failed inspection. Thus I get to spend my next day off running hither and yon getting that taken care of. Add that part requires me to drive at least 100 miles to reset the computer. Aruggggh!

Sorry you are having such an awful day!! Sometimes the Geek Squad will loan you a computer while you are waiting. I don't know if it costs or not. Go do something fun!!!

Heh. Just as odd trivia... .I used to work in the news biz. One day - don't remember how - I discovered that our dark room guy was dark-room guy by day, but romance novel author by night. I forget his pseudonym (which was obviously female), but it was one of the better known names in the industry.

Cracked me up.

Please tell me Danielle Steele is a man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me Danielle Steele is a man.

I was reading a Leigh Greenwood book a couple years ago, and the whole time, thinking to myself "Who the **** would write this," because some of the phrasing was so blatently anti-female or just strange-- "oh, his soft soft hands turned her on. she loved soft hands more than anything" every few pages, like that's all a woman looks for a man.

Anywayyy, a while later, I'm on amazon looking for more books, and it turns out Leigh Greenwood is a guy. It explained so much :laugh:

I was reading a Leigh Greenwood book a couple years ago, and the whole time, thinking to myself "Who the **** would write this," because some of the phrasing was so blatently anti-female or just strange-- "oh, his soft soft hands turned her on. she loved soft hands more than anything" every few pages, like that's all a woman looks for a man.

Anywayyy, a while later, I'm on amazon looking for more books, and it turns out Leigh Greenwood is a guy. It explained so much :laugh:

Bahahahaha.

I love how, uhm, you can also tell what their particular... favorite things... are.

The electronic nightmare just wasn't enough... Now my car has failed inspection.

:( HUGS, LMMS!! I'm sorry you had a terrible case of the Mondays! I hope your life improves tomorrow :biglove: :luck::xf::luck: :hug: Keep storing up that karma and don't allow yourself to be worked into the dirt!

J.V. Paterno, 1926-2012

sounds like you could use a drink (or two or three).

Our school assigned horse stepped on my foot today while I was grooming her. Such a shame, she's usually a doll. She hit me toe first too, rather than flat down. So much worse in my experience. At least she missed my toes and hit me further up. It's minorly sore, I've been icing it off and on since I got home. Not much in the way of bruising happening yet. So disappointing. If I'm going to suffer, I'd at least like it to look impressive.

Our school assigned horse stepped on my foot today while I was grooming her. Such a shame, she's usually a doll. She hit me toe first too, rather than flat down. So much worse in my experience. At least she missed my toes and hit me further up. It's minorly sore, I've been icing it off and on since I got home. Not much in the way of bruising happening yet. So disappointing. If I'm going to suffer, I'd at least like it to look impressive.

Damn. My big guy stepped on my foot and it was a grinding one. I was wearing runners and he stepped on me and then turned. I couldn't walk on it properly for like 3 weeks and it bruised up and I limped for a bit lol.

After that incident, he only stepped on me one other time... I was wearing flip flops and he had corks in! Thank goodness it was in a shavings stall, so he just more or less pushed my foot down rather then compressing it against the hard ground lol.... but after the second go I'm more conscious of horse foot whereabouts.... though I still do horse stuff in flip flops lol. Maybe I haven't learned... :p

Yeah, it could have been a million times worse. Like I said, minorly sore. In the back of my head I could hear my riding coach saying, "Ah, suck it up princess. You're fine, that's nothing." :laugh:

Looks like I will buying and wearing steel toe boots next year...:)

My girlfriend and roommate and I have been letting an old high school friend of ours who fell on some rough times crash in our basement for the last couple of weeks. Today she fell pretty ill so GF and I ran her to the ER. Waited four and a half hours, watching as people who came in after us who looked none the worse for wear got called in and called in until we were literally the only people left in the waiting room. They finally took friend back, and GF and I waited another hour and a half. The diagnosis? Strep throat. Treatment? A shot of penicillin. REALLY? We needed SIX hours for that??

So essentially I spent the entire night from 11pm-5am sitting in an ER waiting room, after spending Sunday night studying for my pathology/immunology exam (which only involved about 3 hours of sleep total). So needless to say, I'm wiped. :mad:

Damn. My big guy stepped on my foot and it was a grinding one. I was wearing runners and he stepped on me and then turned. I couldn't walk on it properly for like 3 weeks and it bruised up and I limped for a bit lol.

After that incident, he only stepped on me one other time... I was wearing flip flops and he had corks in! Thank goodness it was in a shavings stall, so he just more or less pushed my foot down rather then compressing it against the hard ground lol.... but after the second go I'm more conscious of horse foot whereabouts.... though I still do horse stuff in flip flops lol. Maybe I haven't learned... :p

I was barefoot one time at the barn, because I only wanted to say hi to my favorite horse on the way home. Well, my trainer's husband asked me to bring out a horse to the pasture. We hated each other (the horse and I) and he'd always try to push me while walking and just be difficult in general. He's about 17 hands, huuggee to me a few years ago (now I love that size haha). He stepped on my foot and just wouldn't move off. It looked terrible for a long time. Most painful thing that's ever happened to me.

So essentially I spent the entire night from 11pm-5am sitting in an ER waiting room, after spending Sunday night studying for my pathology/immunology exam (which only involved about 3 hours of sleep total). So needless to say, I'm wiped. :mad:[/QUOTE]

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished." Sometimes it feels that way. But you did a kind thing, so let knowing that be your reward (and get some rest).

Rant: Set up awesome externship (pre-req for internship and counts towards graduation credits) in October for following September. Booked flights and planned around it after confirmation.

Get e-mail today saying "Oh sooo we are all booked for August and September, how about another time? March through June?"

I live in Scotland :-(

Shortnsweet, I would call and tell them the circumstances. I'm sure they can squeeze you in somehow!

Rant: Set up awesome externship (pre-req for internship and counts towards graduation credits) in October for following September. Booked flights and planned around it after confirmation.

Get e-mail today saying "Oh sooo we are all booked for August and September, how about another time? March through June?"

I live in Scotland :-(
I'm so sorry. That is just awful. You should try talking to the manager and explaining how this is not only necessary for you to graduate, but that you will lose all of the money you put towards being apart of their internship, and might not be able to afford it a second time (especially if the renege again those jerks.) I hope they can be reasoned with. :(

Shortnsweet, I would call and tell them the circumstances. I'm sure they can squeeze you in somehow!

I e-mailed her back and explained my schedule, so maybe she can work on something. I really hope so...it would be my ideal internship location! It's just a bummer when the head vet gives you a solid "yes, we'd be so excited to have you, here are some dates", and then you get that e-mail a few months later!

I e-mailed her back and explained my schedule, so maybe she can work on something. I really hope so...it would be my ideal internship location! It's just a bummer when the head vet gives you a solid "yes, we'd be so excited to have you, here are some dates", and then you get that e-mail a few months later!

Well, then! I think they are obligated to make things work in your favor. Maybe a call to the head vet is in order? :)

I am sick for the 3rd time in less than a month. First it was a sinus infection, then strep throat, now I don't even know what I have. I am so tired of being sick and I just want to feel better. I am hoping that this is it with sickness this season because I have the Auburn interview in 2 weeks and cannot afford to be sick for it. :mad:

Bought everlasting treat balls to keep my dogs busy while I study.

Within 6 minutes, my little dog had the treat out. I stuck it back on. 30 seconds later its out again. Repeat x 5. Within 15 minutes, it was gone.

Total waste of money :( I'm tempted to buy a replacement treat, stick it in there, and return it.

Thanks, everyone. It certainly didn't help that I was completely exhausted. Dranks some beer (Bell's Brown :)) and passed out early. Today was a better day even though I can look forward to my rejection from Ohio. My password expired so I'm unable to check the website. Really don't feel like calling admissions just to have them tell me what I already know. One thing I can say is that I hope they send the same letter as last year... Nicest rejection I ever got.

EllieG - You're good people. :thumbup:

I keep sneezing!

I thought the number of times you sneeze is deeply rooted in your genetics. I thought I used to sneeze twice, but lately I have been going like 3 or 4 times.

Is it possible I've been exposed to nuclear radiation and have changed my own DNA?

I keep sneezing!

I thought the number of times you sneeze is deeply rooted in your genetics. I thought I used to sneeze twice, but lately I have been going like 3 or 4 times.

Is it possible I've been exposed to nuclear radiation and have changed my own DNA?

lostbunny you're gonna be like spiderman now with your radioactiveness! :smuggrin:

sorry, ending my sarcastic hijack now :rolleyes:

not really a rant, but...my med school roomie REALLY seems to lack common sense sometimes. yesterday she pulled out a package of cut up steak and put it in a pot of water in the sink for several hours (mind you its not water tight). she changed her mind at some point and stuck it back in the fridge. today, same deal. it was out for at least 7 hours soaking with the water. apparently she planned to cook it around 9p but got distracted. she got home at 12a and asked other vet roomie "this should still be good, right?" vet roomie and i about died.:eek: um no!!! not unless you're looking for a delicious side of e. coli food poisoning!!! :eek: and the package was soaked with water. there was meat juice in the pot. the meat was discolored from soaking in the water. ew. ew. EW! i can't believe she was going to still save and cook it!!!:eek:

A couple of the biology students I graduated with moved to the same areas as I did. Before we left, we said "We should get together next year!" I invited them for drinks Saturday night and then to dinner on Monday (to celebrate my birthday). Even though they are on Facebook all of the time, you would think they would respond to my invite/message? Nooo. One did respond that he could not make it on Monday (But what about Saturday...?). Thanks for once again proving that the biology program is full of cliques and making me feel like I do not belong because I did not live in my university town all of my life. The chemistry nerds I invited? We had about the same level of interaction in undergrad and they are ecstatic to go have a few drinks with me and to go out for sushi.
As for the others... I have extended an olive branch and you chose to ignore it. Bad karma for you.

Argh! I am over the scheduling issues where I work. It's usually very easy. I email the person who does our schedule with my availability, & he plugs me in. (& he's usually pretty good about being exact) It's pretty simple: every Friday & Saturday night & it typically doesn't vary at all. I thought the occasional hiccup would all be remedied when I dropped to part time. Oh no, I think the fact that I asked for something slightly different this schedule completely confused him. There are 3 weekends I'm not on at all, and while it states I was approved for my time off to attend the pre-vet symposium at NCSU, & the open house at VMRCVM, he still plugged me in. I know it will probably all work out in the end, but I totally obsess over my schedule since I have very little wiggle room.

I was hoping not to drop my status to PRN until next Fall, but if this keeps up I'll have to do it sooner than planned. Which means I'll lose my shift differential (which is a significant amount of $$), and we'll have to switch our benefits back to my husband which is more expensive. (all financial things I hadn't PLANNED on doing until fall.) The other option is to go minimally part time, where I would still retain the shift differential and benefits, but still would not have absolute, complete control over my schedule.

Forgive me, I'm having a rare moment this morning. I should get over myself by this afternoon.

/rant

J.V. Paterno, 1926-2012

electronic gremlins are the worst! Hope it all gets fixed quickly (& economically!)

O2 sensor or Catalytic converter by any chance?! We just had the same thing happen with our Jeep. We were told to change the O2 sensor, so we did... drove it the 100-200 miles until it reset, and then did it again when it didn't work!!! :mad: Then we found out it was because the catalytic converter was bad... so we replaced that, had to put ANOTHER O2 sensor in and drive it some MORE! FINALLY it passed inspection. The guy at the inspection place kept apologizing, but all we could do was laugh at this point and apologize to HIM for taking up so much of his time that week :cool:

I just found out that the blood donor cat that I was gonna adopt in the fall now has a heart murmur and cannot remain a donor....I've been debating all day whether I want to take this on and still adopt her because she is just the sweetest thing ever but ughhhhh this decision is so hard! What am I gonna doooooo :(

I just found out that the blood donor cat that I was gonna adopt in the fall now has a heart murmur and cannot remain a donor....I've been debating all day whether I want to take this on and still adopt her because she is just the sweetest thing ever but ughhhhh this decision is so hard! What am I gonna doooooo :(

What makes you debate taking her? Because you'd be taking her earlier than expected or because of the heart murmur? I suppose it all depends on the grade of the murmur and whatnot, but what harm is there in adopting her? I guess I'd look at it as regardless of what effect it has on her lifespan, you're going to give her the best remaining time possible. I say do it! (But I'm a big softy for broken animals :) )

What happens with her if you don't adopt her?

I found out that my feline bundle of joy has a serious heart murmur after I adopted him and he's fine, still insanely adorable and awfully obnoxious as ever! Don't let it intimidate you! The only thing that could happen is a shorter life span and wouldn't it be nice to share that time?

What makes you debate taking her? Because you'd be taking her earlier than expected or because of the heart murmur? I suppose it all depends on the grade of the murmur and whatnot, but what harm is there in adopting her? I guess I'd look at it as regardless of what effect it has on her lifespan, you're going to give her the best remaining time possible. I say do it! (But I'm a big softy for broken animals :) )

partly because it's sooner than i expected (my mom really doesn't like cats, so i was hoping to wait till fall when i start vet school to adopt her) and partly the murmur...i don't know how serious it is but i'll be in school and i'm afraid i won't be able to give her the care she deserves...i'm a big softy for broken animals too (especially amputees) too! :)

What happens with her if you don't adopt her?

not sure...she's being released from the donor program sooner than expected so i'm not sure what they're going to do. i'm one of the only employees at the hospital (that i know of) who has expressed interest in adopting her...usually they will also ask clients and other people in the public about adopting her but with the new discovery of her heart murmur not sure how adoptable she'll be to other outside people.

I found out that my feline bundle of joy has a serious heart murmur after I adopted him and he's fine, still insanely adorable and awfully obnoxious as ever! Don't let it intimidate you! The only thing that could happen is a shorter life span and wouldn't it be nice to share that time?
i totally agree with you :) i don't know how serious it is or if it's even something that needs medication yet, seeing as it's only been recently diagnosed but i'm going to inquire about it further.

the biggest obstacle is convincing my mom! or maybe i can find a way for her to stay with someone until i can take her in the fall. hrmmmmmm :(

a big pro is since i'm going to vet school i'll be able to take her to specialists when she really needs to so i guess that's a plus

Sunnex, that sucks. I think you should try to get her a good cardiac evaluation (a murmur in a cat can be totally insignificant or bad news, no way to tell on auscultation) before making a decision. You work at a referral practice, right?

Once you have all your information you can make the best decision. On the one hand, if you know you want to take her, don't let a couple months off-timing dissuade you - that can be worked around with foster, or boarding her at the place she is now, or trying to talk with your mom. On the other hand, you aren't doing anything wrong if you decide not to take a cat with a known health problem (if it is in fact a problem). The earlier statement of "no big deal" isn't completely true - if it is a serious problem you could be looking at daily meds and specialists and while it's one thing to go through with that on an existing pet, it's another to get a pet KNOWING that will be what you have to do. I promise you could fall in love with a shelter kitty too if you want to start fresh.