RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just learned tOSU gets 4 wellness days this semester since they don't have a spring break. Meanwhile UW only gave us one day for spring break with no other breaks (excluding MLK day which was at the first week of the semester). Very jealous of tOSU students right now.
Dont be jealous - it’s not an actual break 🙃 we don’t have online synch sessions, but all our classes still gave us asynchronous work (some even added MORE to make up for missing the live synch session). When admin was asked about it they told us our 4 days are “synch time breaks” and not actual breaks. 🥲

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
My dog’s ACTH post-stim cortisol was 7...so not Addisonian (yay). Good lesson in not being able to diagnose hypoadrenocorticism on a resting cortisol.

I know y’all were on the edge of your seats wondering if my dog fit the stereotype lolol

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Dont be jealous - it’s not an actual break 🙃 we don’t have online synch sessions, but all our classes still gave us asynchronous work (some even added MORE to make up for missing the live synch session). When admin was asked about it they told us our 4 days are “synch time breaks” and not actual breaks. 🥲
Ugh that sounds worse! Sorry :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Never get less frustrated with people who treat being a quieter person as being disinterested. Yeah, I need to work on speaking up more in rounds and such but you know what doesn't help? Embarrassing me in front of a group and accusing me of not paying attention when I actually was.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
I have these same feelings and frustrations too even with having graduated vet school. The debt is inescapable, the pay isn't great, staffing is always lacking, support is kind of there sometimes but often not. I'll never save up enough to pay off the interest. Hoping for PSLF... but that's always murky. I'm in job number 4 since graduation and I've not been out for 5 years yet. I think I've realized the problem isn't a specific job it is the industry.. not enough staff, not wanting or able to hire more, huge influx in work from covid that no one anticipated, people running how thinks work without working those things themselves. And it is across the vet industry. But I do believe it isn't just us, it is everywhere because the big companies, especially the government, know they can get away with doing and providing the bare minimum. The employees feel bad and usually have the work ethic they lack, so employees pick up the pieces and the cycle keeps repeating.

I'm now where I'm mostly just meh. I like what I currently do, I try to ignore the frustrations the best I can, put my head down, do my job and leave. I've really tried to pick up and focus on hobbies and really focus on self care during my off times. It helps some for sure. I'm thinking of ordering a punching bag to add in some boxing practice to working out, plus I think it'll be good stress relief.

Sorry, I don't have answers really, but know that you aren't alone.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
More school to potentially get a higher-paying job?
I don’t want to encourage you to take on more debt since you’re already stressed about what you’ve got. But your dismissal is not necessarily a bar to entry into a graduate program. I left law school and a PhD program on less-than-stellar terms and still got into vet school. So if you find a field that inspires passion in you, don’t rule it out because you’re worried you won’t get in to a grad program.

Also, that sounds like a lot of negative thoughts directed your way. What’s making you want to be so mean to yourself lately? Want me to mail you some cookies?

Reactions: 8 users
I don’t know if relocation would interest you, but if it would help perspective any to work in a different area, I think my county where I’m moving to might be in some need of public health folks. I also know an MPH that works in public health for a neighboring county and seems to enjoy it. They seemed to have no issues changing jobs in the middle of a pandemic where a lot of government jobs are experiencing hiring freezes (though it’s obvious why lol) I can put you in touch with them.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't mind ranting and/or hearing advice, but I think I'd rather not go into all the detail on the public forum.
My PM is always open. Not sure if I have the right knowledge or anything, but always willing to listen and offer support one way or another!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
My rant is about an amazon I have to routinely trim beak and nails on because tears up the O, and the past TWO times he's managed to get me. Murderous thoughts for this bird, but at least I keep that beak less sharp. heh

• Care
  • Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Job searching has become kind of depressing today.
I sympathize. I always find it depressing. Like online dating: the creeps always want a date, the one you thought you wanted turns out to be toxic, and finally you just settle for messaging anything that moves in the hope of finding a diamond in the rough. Somehow it all works out though.

Reactions: 6 users
Anesthesia profs: your exam will be 25 questions in 30 minutes but don't worry too much, this test will be easy

The test:
Life_Insurance_082.png

• Care
  • Haha
I sympathize. I always find it depressing. Like online dating: the creeps always want a date, the one you thought you wanted turns out to be toxic, and finally you just settle for messaging anything that moves in the hope of finding a diamond in the rough. Somehow it all works out though.
Can't decide whether to "haha" or "sad"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
My rant is about an amazon I have to routinely trim beak and nails on because tears up the O, and the past TWO times he's managed to get me. Murderous thoughts for this bird, but at least I keep that beak less sharp. heh

And this is why I refused to see birds. Evil winged creatures. Beautiful but evil.

Reactions: 3 users
Give me raptors over parrots any day!

I don't actually mind them too much but I have been bitten pretty bad (once by an African Gray and once by a Caique) by birds that were supposed to be friendly lol I did also have to care for a blue and gold macaw that hated men but loved to get on your shoulder if he liked you. Still freaked me out a little. Like, what was to stop him from chomping my ear off...

Baby eclectus parrots are pretty great. I hear they grow up to be jerks but my 4 month old patient was a doll :)

• Care
The vet clinic that I just dropped my babies off for boarding require that every single boarding patient gets Capstar, regardless of presence of fleas or being UTD on flea prevention.

My one little dog is on Trifexis which has flea control (Spinosad) AND has a Seresto collar. I get why they do it- I appreciate that they’re trying to prevent fleas in their environment but... ugh. I hate having to pay more money for something that’s already being covered.
I think dewelpro is much better than seresto.

• Hmm
I think dewelpro is much better than seresto.
I’m not sure why you created an account to debate a 2 year old post but whatever.

Until I see a peer reviewed paper comparing Dewel Pro to Seresto, or an unbiased 3rd party study proving the safety and efficacy of an essential oil based product, especially with the sensitivity of cats, I’m going to stick with the EPA approved method.

Reactions: 13 users
Small and larger rants. I fractured my radius (chauffeur fracture)and I’m dealing with another issue in my life I can’t get into details about yet. But I’m feeling sad.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
So if I’m back to having bad symptoms in the middle of the night and I’ve been analyzing the correlation between my decreasing steroid doses and the number of episodes, does that just make me a super nerd or is this a reasonable thing to be doing with my time? 🤔

This stinks.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Small and larger rants. I fractured my radius (chauffeur fracture)and I’m dealing with another issue in my life I can’t get into details about yet. But I’m feeling sad.
I've been on a baking binge lately, would a cookie care package help you to feel better at all?

So if I’m back to having bad symptoms in the middle of the night and I’ve been analyzing the correlation between my decreasing steroid doses and the number of episodes, does that just make me a super nerd or is this a reasonable thing to be doing with my time? 🤔

This stinks.
It’s a reasonable thing to do and I have done it. Sending hugs :(

• Care
I've literally gotten 3 spam calls in the last 30 minutes. One was from freaking Austria for some reason???
I'm so over this ****. I want to change my phone number but I've literally had it since I was 12 and it's repetitive/easy to remember.

I've literally gotten 3 spam calls in the last 30 minutes. One was from freaking Austria for some reason???
I'm so over this ****. I want to change my phone number but I've literally had it since I was 12 and it's repetitive/easy to remember.
Get the Robokiller app! It costs a little money but it's cut the number of spam calls that I get down to almost nothing.

Get the Robokiller app! It costs a little money but it's cut the number of spam calls that I get down to almost nothing.
^^^^^second this!!! I used to get constant spam calls from Poland/Austria/etc. and they were somehow rigged to bypass do not disturb on my phone so it would wake me up at 2 AM. Once I started using nomorobo those stopped! I still get the occasional spam call from my hometown but the majority get blocked

Never get less frustrated with people who treat being a quieter person as being disinterested. Yeah, I need to work on speaking up more in rounds and such but you know what doesn't help? Embarrassing me in front of a group and accusing me of not paying attention when I actually was.

When I feel that I'm being dismissed or spoken over, my reaction is just to disengage and not speak anymore. You can imagine how this went over on rotations in vet school with gunner types in rounds sessions.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
what I love is when I my phone decides that someone calling from my work is spam.....
Yeah my phone decided that my student loan servicer is spam (likely lots of people maliciously/erroneously reporting them) and so I had been ignoring them for more than a year until one day I was going to tell them off and low and behold they were just trying to verify an address hahah

Yeah my phone decided that my student loan servicer is spam (likely lots of people maliciously/erroneously reporting them) and so I had been ignoring them for more than a year until one day I was going to tell them off and low and behold they were just trying to verify an address hahah
See I dont understand what's so hard that they cant leave a message

My rationale is that if the call is actually important, they'll leave a message. We have to do weekly patient care calls at work (stuff like "you haven't filled this med in a while, do you need it?" and "would you like to sync up all your meds to pick up on the same day?") and I've learned that my store's phone number is listed as spam in some people's phones lol. It's totally reasonable though; my company is well known for making tons of unnecessary calls. Our policy is to leave a message on the first attempt (not revealing any PHI, my rule of thumb is pt first name and my store's name is ok, but med names are not) but just hang up if they don't pick up on the second or third attempts.

Anyway, I'm just really against downloading a paid app because I'm cheap lol
Edited to add: So I currently have Hiya and it...sorta works I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think it's a financial privacy law that until they verify it's you they cant reveal their business?
But they could be like this is x financial please give us a call back at x.

I also I never return calls unless they leave a message policy unless I know the number because spam-though recently I've been getting alot of misdials from back home and I don't understand

I also I never return calls unless they leave a message policy unless I know the number because spam-though recently I've been getting alot of misdials from back home and I don't understand
I wonder if there's a local business or something that's super similar to your phone number. Like XXX-XXX-XX12 versus XXX-XXX-XX21 for instance.

I’ve noticed that if I don’t answer the spam call I get at least two or three more that day. But if I answer and hang up immediately I don’t get any more that day. But now that I’m boarded and working in a diagnostic lab I feel way less required to answer random calls...when I was a resident I’d be on call or get calls from unknown student and faculty numbers regularly.

I wonder if there's a local business or something that's super similar to your phone number. Like XXX-XXX-XX12 versus XXX-XXX-XX21 for instance.
Lol I wish it was that simple! One was someone for a dr appt. Another was surprisingly my old high school so when I listened to the message I was very confused at the start til they said who they were looking for😅

My old home phone number was -85 and Starbucks was -58. We didn’t get a bunch of calls for people wanting Starbucks (because who calls Starbucks?) but one of my friends in elementary or middle school deeeefinitely accidentally called Starbucks once and asked for me :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Do you mean return calls, or answer them, or both?
I definitely don't return calls unless they leave a message whether or not I know the number, though I also don't answer calls unless I know the number.

Fun fact, if you dial my work office phone number with an area code of XY2 instead of XY1, you get a human radiologist in Canada. Found that out when a human doctors office called me to chat about a guy named Earl's shoulder MRI and what his next steps should be. They were surprised when I told them I was a vet pathologist. Took us a while to figure out how they called me and why, but they dialed XY1 area code instead of XY2.

Sorry those area codes got kinda weird but I decided I didn't want to reveal to just everyone where I live.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Do you mean return calls, or answer them, or both?
I definitely don't return calls unless they leave a message whether or not I know the number, though I also don't answer calls unless I know the number.
I dont return calls unless they leave me a message and I dont answer them unless they leave me a message then I call them back if need be

Ugh when I'm on clinics I have to answer like every phone call because I don't have in my phone the numbers of all of the assistants, students, technicians, interns, residents, etc who could be calling about something important. I hate it.

Also a lot of times I get Mystery Texts about patients like they don't say who they are but ask a question about a patient, so I just know "someone in ICU" has a question lol

• Care
I'm doing that thing where I just do nothing all day

and then get angry at myself for doing nothing

and just feel motivation seeping away constantly

and am grumpy about how much work I have this upcoming week when my head is already trash

it's all just a real crap mood.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I'm doing that thing where I just do nothing all day

and then get angry at myself for doing nothing

and just feel motivation seeping away constantly

and am grumpy about how much work I have this upcoming week when my head is already trash

it's all just a real crap mood.
I keep having some dread that work week starts back up for me tomorrow. Was very rough last one, and I am still out of sorts. My house is in serious need of cleaning, but I wash just enough laundry to get through work and keep the litter box clean.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users