RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I knew you were younger than "the old men," but I assumed you were my age... I guess "the old men" are probably my age. Time to pull out a cane:oldman:
No way, they're like...SUPER old ;)
tumblr_m81vitlTCc1r3zat8.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My outpatient emergency visit back when I was an undergrad on united healthcare's student insurance plan through the college for viral meningitis... $10,000 out of pocket!!!

My first month in ICU post spinal cord injury that included a VIP helicopter ride, lots of implanted metal, and who knows what else was just shy of $1,000,000. Ya baby! I'm one expensive cyborg.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My first month in ICU post spinal cord injury that included a VIP helicopter ride, lots of implanted metal, and who knows what else was just shy of $1,000,000. Ya baby! I'm one expensive cyborg.

Considering that $11k consisted of bloodwork, ct scan, CSF tap done for the first time by a med student/intern, maybe a neuro consult and one dose of morphine and Tylenol before being told "well yup i think you're right, you have meningitis. But it can't be bacterial because you would have died by now. Nothing more to do here, bye!" A million bucks to become a cyborg is quite a steal!

I can't remember if your injury was military related. If it wasn't, did you have any issues with insurance with your medical bills?

Got my white coat today!! Orientation tomorrow and Tuesday and then I start on Oncology on Wednesday! Woot woot!!

Reactions: 9 users
I can't remember if your injury was military related. If it wasn't, did you have any issues with insurance with your medical bills?

Nope, I wasn't in yet, so civilian injury. What's funny is I had been jumping for years and thought, "Boy I'm really taking a gamble with no insurance, better get some." Hopped on a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan because it was one of the only ones that didn't exclude skydiving and scuba diving. I think I jinxed myself!

It was $5,500 deductible and 100% co-insurance. Still a damn expensive injury for me, but I definitely got my money's worth. Reading through some of the itemized bills was pretty funny: $20 for exam gloves here, neck brace there, $65,000 initial price of starting up the helicopter, etc, etc. I vaguely remember holding a pen with a closed fist and scribbling on paperwork like a was painting as a toddler before being rolled into surgery. How is that signature even legally binding when I was in pure shock with a shattered back and floating on drug-cloud nine?

Pinterest is making me really excited about Halloween. I even bought a pumpkin today..... and more candy. Tomorrow I have nothing planned so I'm going to see what types of decorations I can buy or make (cheaply).

I just made the most amazing sweet potato cornbread. I don't even like cornbread and this stuff is amazing. And it's only $0.50 a serving!

Checking skydiving off the list of possibilities...

(Okay, it wasn't on there to start with. But still.)

I had a classmate that dove into the ocean and ended up ... Quadriplegic? Crazy.

**** happens, I guess.

Checking skydiving off the list of possibilities...

(Okay, it wasn't on there to start with. But still.)

I had a classmate that dove into the ocean and ended up ... Quadriplegic? Crazy.

**** happens, I guess.

Yea, I have met a handful of quads with that exact same injury: diving and hitting a sandbar or the ocean floor.

Most people answer like you did. But in reality, the gear just works, and very very very rarely is it people with low jump numbers and low experience that get hurt. It's those with thousands of jumps that are either competing at a higher level and/or pushing the limits that get injured or killed. I equate it to riding a little moped around your block vs taking a motocross bike off a 50ft jump and doing a double backflip. You can enjoy the sport and jump "safely," if one can put it that way.

I flew high-performance parachutes competitively. To put things in perspective, this is what I did (at 1:19 a guy bounces off the pond, which is exactly what happened to me, but I must have hit just right):

Having gone sky diving once and absolutely loving it, I have to say, that is incredible.

I is thrilled. Last weekend I got a hit-by-ATV dog ... owner was driving the ATV, dog was running alongside, something happened, and the 13-year-old Cocker ended up with a badly broken hip and a few other orthopedic injuries. Presented with some relatively minor neuro deficits in addition to all the orthopedic damage. Owner didn't have tons of money. I did some basic stabilization and triage and pain mgmt and rads kinda stuff and thought it was probably end of the line for the poor dog.

But I still brought up txfr to specialty care for consult with a surgeon. In spite of limited funds, owner didn't blink, took me up on the offer. Today I wandered through to check on the case and found out the dog went to surgery, did well, and went home with a good prognosis.

Sweetness.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great conversation - I'm (weather willing) going skydiving for the first time next week! I've bungee jumped a couple times but never dove. Excited for it. :)

All of you skydiving people are basically gods to me. Falling is my greatest rational fear and just watching that video made me want to vomit. To those who can fall with style and grace, I salute you.

Yea, I have met a handful of quads with that exact same injury: diving and hitting a sandbar or the ocean floor.

Most people answer like you did. But in reality, the gear usually works, and very very very rarely is it people with low jump numbers and low experience that get hurt. It's those with thousands of jumps that are either competing at a higher level and/or pushing the limits that get injured or killed. I equate it to riding a little moped around your block vs taking a motocross bike off a 50ft jump and doing a double backflip. You can enjoy the sport and jump "safely," if one can put it that way.

I flew high-performance parachutes competitively. To put things in perspective, this is what I did (at 1:19 a guy bounces off the pond, which is exactly what happened to me, but I must have hit just right):

Ftfy. A friend of mine lost his dad a few years back due to equipment malfunction. He was a coach with over 8000 dives, so I suppose your odds are pretty good, but still. It was so sad :( The student he tandem dove with made it I think, though

Most people answer like you did. But in reality, the gear just works, and very very very rarely is it people with low jump numbers and low experience that get hurt. It's those with thousands of jumps that are either competing at a higher level and/or pushing the limits that get injured or killed. I equate it to riding a little moped around your block vs taking a motocross bike off a 50ft jump and doing a double backflip. You can enjoy the sport and jump "safely," if one can put it that way.

I guess you accept the risks when you do anything like that. Still sucks, though.

And I'm still not ever gonna do it. I just don't like freaking myself out that much... lol. The only person who could ever talk me into it is even less likely to want to try it, so... nope nope nope.

Ftfy. A friend of mine lost his dad a few years back due to equipment malfunction. He was a coach with over 8000 dives, so I suppose your odds are pretty good, but still. It was so sad :( The student he tandem dove with made it I think, though

It does happen, and sorry to hear that. Good on him for saving the student, most tandem masters do well. Did you ever hear exactly what happened?

Especially regarding skydiving, the general public never hears any news except for bad news, and even at that, it's usually reported wrong or generalized as "something wrong with the chute." If, for example, the main parachute opened with a line-over (from a bad packjob) and then the situation wasn't handled the best, that would still be considered a "malfunction," but the gear worked; the parachute came out like it was supposed to. It's more often then not human error, and not the gear's fault.

Could have been faulty gear in that situation though.

Last edited:
Just wanted to rave that the animal clinic i volunteer at may give me a part time job with a full time job as a vet tech lined up for next summer. YEEE!!!

Reactions: 2 users
You rang? Sorry, took me a while to find my walker, my glasses, and my hearing aids.

At least you made it to the phone without falling. If that ever happens, just remember to push the LifeAlert button. It's that wonderful new technology you keep telling your friends about on Saturdays playing Bridge. You may forget, but you're wearing it around your neck.

Reactions: 4 users
It does happen, and sorry to hear that. Good on him for saving the student, most tandem masters do well. Did you ever hear exactly what happened?

Especially regarding skydiving, the general public never hears any news except for bad news, and even at that, it's usually reported wrong or generalized as "something wrong with the chute." If, for example, the main parachute opened with a line-over (from a bad packjob) and then the situation wasn't handled the best, that would still be considered a "malfunction," but the gear worked; the parachute came out like it was supposed to. It's more often then not human error, and not the gear's fault.

Could have been faulty gear in that situation though.
I'm not sure that anyone figured it out. The other pairs that dove with them said there was "obvious equipment failure" and that he had to cut the main parachute and deploy the backup? I'm not familiar with the terminology haha. I'm not sure how the student is today, he was in critical condition last I heard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Jimmie-Horak-Jr-died-swamp-tandem-jump.html if you're interested!

I know, I'm a disappointment to my Southern brethren. In my defense, I wasn't born in the south. Give me some Vegemite or a meat pie with tomato sauce and I'm set!

I don't like corn bread either! And I'm from TX. LOL

I like the weightless sensation of falling. I'm just not fond of the landing part.

I've broken my arms three times a piece by falling off of stuff and I broke out two front from falling against a counter after I fainted. lol. Watching videos of people jumping off of stuff makes me dizzy.

I'm not sure that anyone figured it out. The other pairs that dove with them said there was "obvious equipment failure" and that he had to cut the main parachute and deploy the backup? I'm not familiar with the terminology haha. I'm not sure how the student is today, he was in critical condition last I heard.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Jimmie-Horak-Jr-died-swamp-tandem-jump.html if you're interested!

Ya, that reporting is par for the course when it comes to skydiving fatalities in the news; it really doesn't say anything. I took a gander through a database and some online forums, and discussion on the incident said there was a clean cutaway and the reserve was out, although it looked like it wasn't at full line stretch. Many things could have happened, but when dealing with malfunctions, altitude awareness is key. You use things like audible altimeters in your helmet that you can set at different altitudes.

For example, I was a tandem videographer (the guy that comes along with you to film), and I set my audible for 3 altitudes: 5,500 ft to get ready to film the opening because the tandem would deploy ~2.5 sec later at 5,000 ft, 3,500 ft so I could deploy my parachute, and 2,000 ft which is my decision altitude. If something was to go wrong, and I heard that siren at 2,000 ft, I would need to make a decision at that moment whether I wanted to cutaway or ride the parachute I had over my head down to the ground. If you cutaway too low, there's just no chance you can deploy a reserve in time.

No one will really ever know what happened, but it seems like there was a loss of altitude awareness. **** happens, even to those with thousands upon thousands of jumps.

I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, but I hopped on the USPA website to read last year's stats:
In 2014, USPA recorded 24 fatal skydiving accidents in the U.S. out of roughly 3.2 million jumps. That’s 0.0075 fatalities per 1,000 jumps—among the lowest rate in the sport’s history! Tandem skydiving has an even better safety record, with 0.003 student fatalities per 1,000 tandem jumps over the past decade. According to the National Safety Council, a person is much more likely to be killed getting struck by lightning or stung by a bee.

In the 1970s, the sport averaged 42.5 skydiving fatalities per year. Since then, the average has dropped each decade. In the 1980s, the average was 34.1; in the 1990s, the average was 32.3, and in the first decade of the new millennium (2000-2009), the average dropped again to 25.8. Over the past five years, the annual average continues its decline to 22.6.

With 14 fatalities, 1961—the first year records were kept—stands as the year with the fewest skydiving fatalities. However, USPA was considerably smaller then, with just 3,353 members, and the total number of jumps was far fewer than today’s 3.2 million-plus jumps. To put this in perspective, in the 1960s, there was an average of 3.65 fatalities per thousand USPA members. In contrast, 2014 had 0.65 fatalities per thousand USPA members. And estimating about 3.2 million jumps last year, that’s one fatality per 133,333 skydives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We've had 239 years of so-so looking guys at best (while they were in office).:rolleyes:. Lesbehonest here, Kennedy was probably the closest one we had. Your new one is built!

So Canada just elected this guy as Prime Minister. Yaasssss. (Really, I voted for him based on his policies, seriously.)

Friends don't let friends skip leg day, arm day, chest day, back day.....

I totally skip leg day though.

I have no exams this week. Thus I am finding it difficult to focus on studying much at all.
Oh well, it's only monday.

Bro, do you even leg?

I am that guy. And I'm seriously considering designing a t-shirt with that to wear while I lift.

Another good one would be: "Tomorrow: Squats"

Last edited:
Had the working interview today. Got to see two acupuncture appointments, a dental, dog who had chewed his paw down to the bone and they were replacing bandage, couple routine checks with ferrets, Black headed Parrot, and Red and Green McKaw. It was an awesome day! The practice owner/head vet said he will be in touch in a couple of days!! Hoping it goes through! :)

Let's just not mention the (admittedly pitiful) strip tease video. :laugh:
Well there's this too.... :D:p (It's in French. The gist is, this is our now Prime Minister, several years ago, pretending to fall down the stairs.)

Bonus rave: I'm apparently getting a $5000 bonus, cause my boss really likes me.

I was pretty upset that my phone stopped working because I thought I lost all of my pictures with it. Turns out pp9 of two years ago did in fact set her phone to save all images to the external memory card. :claps:

Also pretty excited about being able to participate in optho rounds today. We were discussing how kidney failure can affect the eye, and how bleeding/clotting disorders can present in the eye. My knowledge was pretty rudimentary (to be expected), but I was able to talk about the RAS in the kidney and reach in the depths of my undergrad mind to talk about how rodenticide works.

Yeah, I don't think I'm quite as ecstatic with the Canadian election results. Hopefully things will get better, but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Hey, we've suffered enough. Ten years under this guy:
n-STEPHEN-HARPER-MIKE-DUFFY-large570.jpg

I've debated mentioning this, but regardless of whichever public figure is being mentioned, it's kinda tabloid-esque to use a picture out of context to further your point, don't you think? I see it all the time with celebrities, newspapers do it to grab more attention as a media tactic, etc.

There are things I certainly take too seriously and this is probably one of them, however, I don't think I could comfortably do that even with people I have no respect for. I don't share memes of a similar nature either.

Anyway, I'm just disappointed seeing that kind of communication everywhere.

Last edited:
Given his policies, I am 100% okay with sharing frowny face Harper. Sorry if you were offended. I don't believe that journalists should do it because I believe they have a duty to be impartial, and I don't believe politicians should it because it's important to cast your opponent honestly. I have no problem with people doing it, whether they're on my side or not.

What an amazing morning already. I got an interview invitation to Royal and was accepted to a full-ride scholarship at Purdue Aviation University through an amazing non-profit to get my Sport Pilot License next summer. That would be an absolutely phenomenal summer 2016: flying airplanes and getting ready for the next chapter in my life!

100% buying Corky a frap hat and goggles so he looks like a WWII fighter pilot when he assumes the eventual role of copilot.

Reactions: 7 users
What an amazing morning already. I got an interview invitation to Royal and was accepted to a full-ride scholarship at Purdue Aviation University through an amazing non-profit to get my Sport Pilot License next summer. That would be an absolutely phenomenal summer 2016: flying airplanes and getting ready for the next chapter in my life!

100% buying Corky a frap hat and goggles so he looks like a WWII fighter pilot when he assumes the eventual role of copilot.

Really wonderful news on both accounts! Congratulations

Given his policies, I am 100% okay with sharing frowny face Harper. Sorry if you were offended. I don't believe that journalists should do it because I believe they have a duty to be impartial, and I don't believe politicians should it because it's important to cast your opponent honestly. I have no problem with people doing it, whether they're on my side or not.

I'm not offended by the picture, there have been plenty similar. This style of communicating hits a nerve because I think it's a childish way to express an opinion. Something that I expect from the general public comments on news articles but not here. It's disappointing that you find it acceptable when I think it's unprofessional, but won't say anything more.

Bonus rave: I'm apparently getting a $5000 bonus, cause my boss really likes me.

Congratulations, that's awesome!! :D

Mine just gave me my first quarter production notice and told me he was impressed that I'd made production and then some. We get a quarterly bonus based on production - I would start in the new year. Not a huge amount but any extra cash is fine by me. I think I'm probably getting paid a wee bit low (even considering the "whole package"), especially for my area, but it is what it is.

COME VISIT ME PLZ