This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake or not?

• Retake Ochem 1

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Take Ochem 2 and grind it out

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

MedicinalCalling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!

how much of Ochem 2 builds on o chem 1? The reason I'm asking is that I’m trying to decide if i should retake ochem 1, not necessarily to get a better grade (I got a C), but because if it builds into o chem 2 a lot, i would rather do o chem 1 again, just so I don't struggle in o chem 2.

I’m taking the MCAT end of this upcoming summer, so that’s also a factor, since if I retake Ochem 1 this spring, I would have to take the MCAT before completing Ochem 2. However, I also heard that ochem isn't really emphasized on the new MCAT, so I was just thinking I could self-study for that portion?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not very much o chem 1 in o chem 2. It's almost entirely new reactions and some introduction to biochemistry. Obviously you'll want to know resonance and acid/base chemistry but beyond that you can expect a plethora of reactions (many of which are very similar to each other). O chem 2 was very repetitive and not a hard class at all, IMO.

Got a C in ochem 1 and was debating to retake it or not too...however I got an A in ochem II and I think that shows enough significant improvement

No need to retake the entire class but you will need to do a lot better in Ochem 2. Are you taking the MCAT without Biochem? If you are, tread very carefully and consider waiting until you have biochem.