This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckystrike91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Please please help me! I'm really struggling these days. I applied late September to many dental schools and got rejected from half of them and haven't heard back from the other half (which at this point means rejection) and got only one interview. I'm not sure if I should retake the DAT (which makes me cry cuz I've already taken it twice) and apply again or if I apply with the same application early June, I'll actually have a chance.. Here are my stats:
Bio:19
GC: 21
OC:21
SA:20
PAT:20
RC:17
QR:17
AA:19
GPA:3.5
SGPA:3.3
Shadowed about 120 hours
Please share your thoughts... I'm so lost and disappointed :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would set aside 2 and a half months to purely study for the DAT without many breaks

I used:
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
AP Biology Cliff Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT
Chad's Videos
Science Articles

Everyday I studied from 9 am -2 am and took around 3 breaks each 30 minutes, and I did this 6 days a week.
The last day I just stayed home and got some rest. I would start with Chad's Videos and take notes on every
little thing he says, also do all the problems. Then solve all the DAT and Math Destroyer problems, I finished
both books 3 times. Work on Crack DAT PAT every week. 3 weeks before the actual DAT start Bootcamp
its the closest thing to the DAT, especially the PAT section since Crack DAT PAT is a little easy. Get a good
3 weeks of PAT study from Bootcamp and you should be fine. I also read science articles online to help with
my reading comprehension. Make sure to make note cards for every organic chemistry molecules. And make
sure you reread your notes you took from Chad's videos at the end of every week throughout the studying process.

This is what I did and I got into several schools.
For you all you really need to improve on is QR and RC, so focus more on Math Destroyer and science articles.
You should also increase your dentistry volunteering hours to at least 150. Good Luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would set aside 2 and a half months to purely study for the DAT without many breaks

I used:
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
AP Biology Cliff Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT
Chad's Videos
Science Articles

Everyday I studied from 9 am -2 am and took around 3 breaks each 30 minutes, and I did this 6 days a week.
The last day I just stayed home and got some rest. I would start with Chad's Videos and take notes on every
little thing he says, also do all the problems. Then solve all the DAT and Math Destroyer problems, I finished
both books 3 times. Work on Crack DAT PAT every week. 3 weeks before the actual DAT start Bootcamp
its the closest thing to the DAT, especially the PAT section since Crack DAT PAT is a little easy. Get a good
3 weeks of PAT study from Bootcamp and you should be fine. I also read science articles online to help with
my reading comprehension. Make sure to make note cards for every organic chemistry molecules. And make
sure you reread your notes you took from Chad's videos at the end of every week throughout the studying process.

For you all you really need to improve on is QR and RC, so focus more on Math Destroyer and science articles.
You should also increase your dentistry volunteering hours to at least 150. Good Luck! :)
Thank you so much for all the info and advise. If I get a 23-24 on DAT would it hurt me if I apply in October?

Thank you so much for all the info and advise. If I get a 23-24 on DAT would it hurt me if I apply in October?

October is late...you applied in September the first time so you probably wouldn't want to apply later than that while assuming you even get a 23-24

Reactions: 1 user
October is late...you applied in September the first time so you probably wouldn't want to apply later than that while assuming you even get a 23-24
Ughhh I know.. That's just the soonest I can take some time off work and retake the dat

And you don't have to put in a 15-hour per day study session for two+ months in order to ace the DAT, btw lol.

I used:
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
AP Biology Cliff Notes
DAT Bootcamp
Crack DAT PAT
Chad's Videos
Science Articles

Studying for 17 hours a day! Now that's commitment.

Ughhh I know.. That's just the soonest I can take some time off work and retake the dat
Start studying now and take the test mid-June just do less studying per day. Shoot for 1-2 hours a day and some extra on the weekend if you feel the need. You should definitely have enough time to be prepared for a DAT retake in June. Also apply early! I always recommend to hit submit at the latest mid-July.

Start studying now and take the test mid-June just do less studying per day. Shoot for 1-2 hours a day and some extra on the weekend if you feel the need. You should definitely have enough time to be prepared for a DAT retake in June. Also apply early! I always recommend to hit submit at the latest mid-July.
I've already taken DAT twice though. What are my chances to get in with my current scores if I apply in June?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA:3.5
SGPA:3.2
Dentist shadowing:120 hours
Community service:100 hours
EC: 50 hours
Did research but never got published
Do you have a strong upward trend recently? Especially in science classes? The GPA is a tad low.

I have similar stats with your cgpa being higher and my DAT being higher. I was told straight up during my UNLV and NOVA interviews that I would most likely be wait listed just based off how late I applied (and they were right....yay....QQ) and my chances would have been substantially better had I applied earlier so definitely aim to reapply early should you choose to do so (regardless of whether you retake the DAT or not). I also took the DAT 3 times, so you won't be alone haha

I have similar stats with your cgpa being higher and my DAT being higher. I was told straight up during my UNLV and NOVA interviews that I would most likely be wait listed just based off how late I applied (and they were right....yay....QQ) and my chances would have been substantially better had I applied earlier so definitely aim to reapply early should you choose to do so (regardless of whether you retake the DAT or not). I also took the DAT 3 times, so you won't be alone haha
If I knew I had a chance with my current scores, I wouldn't dare to retake DAT. That thing is a nightmare!

Your DAT is the score of the average matriculant but your GPA is not.
10 weeks is more than enough time to study. Since you tested twice, you must know your weaknesses. Next time, try condensing your study timeframe. Surely, you recall most information you previously studied. What you recall the best should not be reviewed, unless time permits.

I'm a 3.4 sGPA and studied 9am-10pm 7days/week for 8 weeks with two 30-min breaks for lunch/dinner. It seems you're a workaholic like me, but be careful as you might already know. This habit is dangerous and you must stay healthy/active/happy. My DAT tips and day-by-day schedule are in the breakdown in my signature. You can do it. Trust yourself and imagine your goal.

Your DAT is the score of the average matriculant but your GPA is not.
10 weeks is more than enough time to study. Since you tested twice, you must know your weaknesses. Next time, try condensing your study timeframe. Surely, you recall most information you previously studied. What you recall the best should not be reviewed, unless time permits.

I'm a 3.4 sGPA and studied 9am-10pm 7days/week for 8 weeks with two 30-min breaks for lunch/dinner. It seems you're a workaholic like me, but be careful as you might already know. This habit is dangerous and you must stay healthy/active/happy. My DAT tips and day-by-day schedule are in the breakdown in my signature. You can do it. Trust yourself and imagine your goal.
Thanks a lot for the tips. I honestly agree, I just wish I could quit my job right now and start studying but I have to wait a couple months to save some money. And that's the struggle...

Apply as close to June 1st as possible with your current scores. Study for the DAT in the meantime. If you don't get responses early in the cycle, retake the DAT and let your schools know to expect the new scores.

Also, only retake the DAT if you can substantially improve your score. The only thing worse than getting a 17 once is getting a 17 twice. Personally, I used Kaplan DAT prep to study for my retake and it really helped. I've never used the other programs so I can't offer any comparison. What I liked about Kaplan is that they teach testing strategies for each each section, as well as review test relevant material. But that's all they do. And for me that's better. I don't want my 2 semesters of organic chemistry regurgitated to me in a review session, I want relevant concepts reviewed in DAT testing format. It helps filter out the unnecessary material, you know? I also recommend getting the extra math study course. The QR and RC sections are good indicators of dental school and board exam success, which is why they remain on the DAT. If memory serves, RC demonstrates a student's ability to filter out unnecessary information and retain what is important. QR demonstrates a student's testing stamina, which is crucial for boards.

Whatever you decide to do, you will be adding to your application and becoming a better candidate for dental school. As a reapplicant, I know it's very hard to stay committed or see how the application process can better us another time through. But sometimes that extra year or two really help you develop into a much better candidate and person.

Good luck!

PS
Don't burn yourself out studying. It hurts much more than the extra studying can help. Make sure you're rejuvenated, confident, calm (not just on test day, but everyday)

Apply as close to June 1st as possible with your current scores. Study for the DAT in the meantime. If you don't get responses early in the cycle, retake the DAT and let your schools know to expect the new scores.

Also, only retake the DAT if you can substantially improve your score. The only thing worse than getting a 17 once is getting a 17 twice. Personally, I used Kaplan DAT prep to study for my retake and it really helped. I've never used the other programs so I can't offer any comparison. What I liked about Kaplan is that they teach testing strategies for each each section, as well as review test relevant material. But that's all they do. And for me that's better. I don't want my 2 semesters of organic chemistry regurgitated to me in a review session, I want relevant concepts reviewed in DAT testing format. It helps filter out the unnecessary material, you know? I also recommend getting the extra math study course. The QR and RC sections are good indicators of dental school and board exam success, which is why they remain on the DAT. If memory serves, RC demonstrates a student's ability to filter out unnecessary information and retain what is important. QR demonstrates a student's testing stamina, which is crucial for boards.

Whatever you decide to do, you will be adding to your application and becoming a better candidate for dental school. As a reapplicant, I know it's very hard to stay committed or see how the application process can better us another time through. But sometimes that extra year or two really help you develop into a much better candidate and person.

Good luck!

PS
Don't burn yourself out studying. It hurts much more than the extra studying can help. Make sure you're rejuvenated, confident, calm (not just on test day, but everyday)
Great thanks a lot for your feedback. So if I apply in June, what's the soonest I should expect to hear from schools?

Great thanks a lot for your feedback. So if I apply in June, what's the soonest I should expect to hear from schools?

My first interview was at the end of September, so I think I heard from them in the middle of September. But that was just my experience. I think some schools send out interview invites in August.

Can I please get more feedback on if I'll be ok to re-apply with my current scores next cycle but apply really early?:shrug:

I think reapplying with the "same application" is a bad move. Consider if you happen to get an interview and they ask what you improved on and your answer has to be "Nothing." I know a longer term approach sucks but I think that's how I finally got in - Applied TWICE back to back, took a year off from applying (and in that year did a ton; took more classes, improved DAT, volunteer hours, got a job as a surgical assistant), then applied a 3rd time and even with what many here would consider abysmal stats - I got in. I think it shows that you are committed no matter what it takes, are self aware of how to improve yourself, & it gives you greater appreciation. Reapplying with the same app seems like the easy, quick way out, and I don't think it will pay off for you.