Samuel Merritt Fall 2020 start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm #28 on the waitlist. Really hoping they pull a good chunk since there are still only 16 people on the official fb group and the due date for initial deposits already passed. There must be a good reason why the waitlist goes all the way to almost 300 when other programs are in the 100s or even less.
Kasie said that she expects some movement after the interviews for the other local programs, so I am guessing we should get an update sometime this month.. hopefully.
Hi, guys yes there are not many people on the FB group but that is also because the group is private and many people that I know that got in are not even on FB. But regardless of how many people join or don't join the group should not be an indicator of the number of admitted students. Just talk to Kasie! Good luck to everyone I hope you get in, just don't give up hope sometimes students are pulled off waitlists a week before school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an automated reply that Kasie is out of the office until March 3rd, so movement really is frozen for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did Kasie respond back to anyone who emailed her regarding either movement on the waitlist or their waitlist # before she went on break? Hoping we get an update on the waitlist sometime this week.

I was emailed back. She has been out several weeks due to university travel and illness. She is back this week and playing catch up. I am anxious but need to be patient. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
I was emailed back. She has been out several weeks due to university travel and illness. She is back this week and playing catch up. I am anxious but need to be patient. Good luck to all.
Thank you for the update appreciate it! Makes me feel better . I feel like we are all in the same boat.

I got an update... but no luck on getting a position number. :’(

“The initial batch of accepted students have made their decisions, yet the waitlist numbers have not changed significantly. There are 291 applicants on this list, so waitlist numbers will not be sent out, however, because you are receiving this email, please note, you are in the top 100 on the list. Also, realize that the waitlist numbers are very fluid and we anticipate movement on the wait list well into the summer months. However, movement on the list does depend on student self reporting.

Waitlist changes are very unique from cycle to cycle. Some cycles, we have gone well into the waitlist, admitting applicants originally listed in the 30's, even 50's, as those with lower numbers withdrawal. Other years, we have not admitted anyone from the wait list, so unfortunately, I do not have much insight as to how much the waitlist will be utilized this year.”

The poker face is strong.

I got an update... but no luck on getting a position number. :’(

“The initial batch of accepted students have made their decisions, yet the waitlist numbers have not changed significantly. There are 291 applicants on this list, so waitlist numbers will not be sent out, however, because you are receiving this email, please note, you are in the top 100 on the list. Also, realize that the waitlist numbers are very fluid and we anticipate movement on the wait list well into the summer months. However, movement on the list does depend on student self reporting.

Waitlist changes are very unique from cycle to cycle. Some cycles, we have gone well into the waitlist, admitting applicants originally listed in the 30's, even 50's, as those with lower numbers withdrawal. Other years, we have not admitted anyone from the wait list, so unfortunately, I do not have much insight as to how much the waitlist will be utilized this year.”

The poker face is strong.

let’s just hope that this cycle it goes up to the 30s to 50s. Still have my finger crossed!

Hopefully, we get an actual update by early next month. I’m guessing some accepted students are still waiting to hear back from other local programs.

I'm in the late 100s on the list, so there's no way I'll be in. I'm already preparing for the next cycle so I won't feel terrible.

emailed Kasie yesterday to see if my current position (#27) has changed.

She replied today “It has, but I am still working on all the updates after receiving numerous responses to my update email. I will keep you posted”

emailed Kasie yesterday to see if my current position (#27) has changed.

She replied today “It has, but I am still working on all the updates after receiving numerous responses to my update email. I will keep you posted”

Awesome, thanks for the update! Hoping there has been a big movement of people dropping off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s up everybody! Hope everyone and your friends and family are all doing well during this time.
I’ve been accepted into SMU through their early decisions back in September, but just recently discovered this forum. Congrats to everyone else that got in and to those that may still be waiting — good luck!
In regards to those that have been accepted, had any of y’all received any updated emails concerning orientation, or if anything in the Fall is going to be changing due to the COVID situation? As far as I know, the only things that are required for us to do as of right now, is to do those items on our SMU applicant checklist; for example: the background check, CPR certification, health insurance, etc etc. Thanks y’all!

What’s up everybody! Hope everyone and your friends and family are all doing well during this time.
I’ve been accepted into SMU through their early decisions back in September, but just recently discovered this forum. Congrats to everyone else that got in and to those that may still be waiting — good luck!
In regards to those that have been accepted, had any of y’all received any updated emails concerning orientation, or if anything in the Fall is going to be changing due to the COVID situation? As far as I know, the only things that are required for us to do as of right now, is to do those items on our SMU applicant checklist; for example: the background check, CPR certification, health insurance, etc etc. Thanks y’all!

Hey congrats, and I think they might just be waiting it out to see what happens. I don't know if you follow the news but they just extended the social distance until April 30. I sure hope everything cools down by September. Are you from the Bay Area?

Hey congrats, and I think they might just be waiting it out to see what happens. I don't know if you follow the news but they just extended the social distance until April 30. I sure hope everything cools down by September. Are you from the Bay Area?
Yup! I lived in SF for 12 years, and currently living in San Jose for the past 8ish years.

Hope you guys are doing well. Just checking to see if you guys heard anything back from Kaise during this shelter in place?

Hope you guys are doing well. Just checking to see if you guys heard anything back from Kaise during this shelter in place?

still nothing... will almost be a month since Kasie's last email. Hoping to get an update soon. Has anyone tried emailing her and ask?

2 people joined the fb pg for dpt smu2023. It was 17 before . So I have no clue. Kinda sucks

Yeah, I saw that too. I am guessing those are the people who were already accepted in the initial batch that did not know there was a FB group for the upcoming class. Hopefully, a good amount of people dropped off the waitlist since most must have committed to other programs by now!

Keep hope. I spoke with Kasie today and I was accepted off the waitlist. It was silent for the last few weeks, but today I got the call. It is a great day. Hang in there, this is a tough emotional process

Reactions: 5 users
Keep hope. I spoke with Kasie today and I was accepted off the waitlist. It was silent for the last few weeks, but today I got the call. It is a great day. Hang in there, this is a tough emotional process

Congrats!!! Glad to hear that she is finally moving down the wait list. Do you mind sharing your position #?

Congrats!!! Glad to hear that she is finally moving down the wait list. Do you mind sharing your position #?
According to Kasie’s prior emails I was #1 on the list as of about a month ago. So this maybe the start of the movement. Good Luck, hope to see you at SMU

According to Kasie’s prior emails I was #1 on the list as of about a month ago. So this maybe the start of the movement. Good Luck, hope to see you at SMU
What time did you recieve the call? Just wondering she still hasnt replied to any emails :/
Thanks and congratulations on your acceptance!

Hello, I hope everyone is well and safe! Has anyone heard anything back in the past couple of weeks?

Hi everyone, hope you are all well and healthy. Does anyone know if there has been any more movement down the list? Congratulations #1

Hi everyone, hope you are all well and healthy. Does anyone know if there has been any more movement down the list? Congratulations #1
I was #99 on the waitlist but few days ago I got an email saying that I'm #96 now.

Anyone else get the waitlist email just a moment ago?

Reactions: 5 users
So I guess just update Kasie if you're withdrawing or not.

Did anyone get the follow up email saying they were in the top 20?

Anyone get any updates from Kasie since her last email? Seems like there are a couple of people who joined the FB group recently, so hopefully it means she is slowly calling people from the waitlist. Still got my fingers crossed!

Hope you all are doing well in this crazy time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get any updates from Kasie since her last email? Seems like there are a couple of people who joined the FB group recently, so hopefully it means she is slowly calling people from the waitlist. Still got my fingers crossed!

Hope you all are doing well in this crazy time.
What’s you #? I was 27 when she first told me back in feb

I haven't gotten an update, not an email saying I am in the top 20 for the waitlist.
FAFSA for student loans and tuition is going to be due by the time program starts, so if anyone gets admitted in July/August being able to afford tuition is going to be a super close call.

Was anybody able to connect with her for DPT Admission Q & A, open chat hour?
Or any updates about the program or class being filled?

In case anyone is wondering if there is movement on the waitlist, I received an email informing me that I've moved into the top 5. I was told that I initially placed in the top 20 back in February but I was never given an official number on the list. At this point I'm looking forward to the next application period but an acceptance would be nice. Good luck to everyone still anxiously waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just an update. Kasie just gave me an acceptance call. Good luck to everyone! There is still hope!

• Wow
Hope everyone is doing well. Just an update I was offered admissions to the DPT program. Good luck to everyone.!! there is still hope!

Reactions: 2 users
I believe Kaise is probably putting together the waitlist or rejection list and will be sending out emails. By now she would have called. Just to let you guys know it is a tough journey, and we are all feeling this, anxious, negativity, frustration. But know that we tried our best, we are determined and we are strong!. Keep going and don't let anyone discourage you. Live your truth, follow your dream and don't ever stop!.

I wish you all happy holiday and success in life.
Does she make all the calls in a matter of two days? just curious because i applied this year and was wondering if you remeber from last years application