This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rainbows&Waterfalls

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of the schools that I was waitlisted at is adamant about sending updates and expressing interest. I interviewed there mid-September and was waitlisted mid-October. I am just curious about what the format of these updates should look like, along with what an appropriate length is. Plus, how frequently should I be sending them? I do not want to wait until April but I also want to stay fresh in their minds (for when they start pulling from the WL in May).

I have already graduated, so I do not have any academic updates. However, since I have interviewed I submitted my research paper for publication. Would it be appropriate to send a brief update saying my paper is under peer-review, followed-up by another one with the actual publication once it is accepted? What other things could I "update" them on?
 
One of the schools that I was waitlisted at is adamant about sending updates and expressing interest. I interviewed there mid-September and was waitlisted mid-October. I am just curious about what the format of these updates should look like, along with what an appropriate length is. Plus, how frequently should I be sending them? I do not want to wait until April but I also want to stay fresh in their minds (for when they start pulling from the WL in May).

I have already graduated, so I do not have any academic updates. However, since I have interviewed I submitted my research paper for publication. Would it be appropriate to send a brief update saying my paper is under peer-review, followed-up by another one with the actual publication once it is accepted? What other things could I "update" them on?
Start your letter by stating that you want XXX school to know of your continued interest and to be aware of updates in your activities that might impact their consideration. A submitted manuscript is not an update worth including, as it could be sent out to several more journals before you get an acceptance. Instead, do you have additional accumulations of hours in a volunteer gig or clinical work site? Any new shadowing? Additional work responsibilities? As to length, keep it to no more than one page.