SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an Interview this Saturday 11/26! Ahh! :)

Members don't see this ad.

FINALLY submitted my application. Was having to wait on the funds for my application fee. I remember seeing it somewhere but, can't seem to find it. How long did it take you guys to get an interview invite? Two weeks?

FINALLY submitted my application. Was having to wait on the funds for my application fee. I remember seeing it somewhere but, can't seem to find it. How long did it take you guys to get an interview invite? Two weeks?

I have submitted mine too, now to get my letters sent in. Have you sent in the whole "packet" yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the fence. I'd love to apply, but feel like doing so would be to give up on my VMCAS schools too soon. Thoughts?
I know some of you are in a similar boat to me, did you apply for Jan or August?

I'm on the fence. I'd love to apply, but feel like doing so would be to give up on my VMCAS schools too soon. Thoughts?
I know some of you are in a similar boat to me, did you apply for Jan or August?

I'm waiting until February to apply. I don't graduate until June, so it works for me :)

as kind of a heads up, ya'll might want to be careful putting off applying (for august) as it seems SGU has grown in popularity recently (probably has something to do with that acceditation announcement :p). the incoming jan class has a whopping 85 people currently (record breaking #s for jan classes)

I have submitted mine too, now to get my letters sent in. Have you sent in the whole "packet" yet?

Nope, but I'm sending them in at the beginning of the week :D I've already paid for the application fee as well.

And, I don't see this as giving up on the VMCAS applications especially considering SGU is accredited now. I just won't take no for an answer when it comes to pursuing my career and this seems to just be an extensive of that. If that makes sense? :)

as kind of a heads up, ya'll might want to be careful putting off applying (for august) as it seems SGU has grown in popularity recently (probably has something to do with that acceditation announcement :p). the incoming jan class has a whopping 85 people currently (record breaking #s for jan classes)

Do you know if that includes those who haven't interviewed yet or just the ones that have accepted thus far?

I'm not an applicant this year but I wasn't really sure where to ask this..

The tuition and fees that are listed on the SGU website.. that is an approximation of everything for all three years, right?

I'm not an applicant this year but I wasn't really sure where to ask this..

The tuition and fees that are listed on the SGU website.. that is an approximation of everything for all three years, right?

if you are interested in my 1 year tuition breakdown, PM me and i'll send it to you

just pressed the submit button for August matriculation :eek::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Excited to meet everyone in the upcoming weeks :) new and upper clgass :D

Hey, to those of you who have applied for August 2012, how long did it take for you to hear back, from the time you applied? I just sent in my app last week. I got a call from a 3rd year student to see if I had questions, but nothing else. I'm being impatient, I know! :laugh:

Hey, to those of you who have applied for August 2012, how long did it take for you to hear back, from the time you applied? I just sent in my app last week. I got a call from a 3rd year student to see if I had questions, but nothing else. I'm being impatient, I know! :laugh:

I finished the online application on September 23rd, my transcripts were received October 3rd, and I was notified of an interview by e-mail on October 7th with one LOR still missing.

So to answer your question, 2 weeks from the time of my online app being turned in without other materials having been received=)

I think it all depends on your situation.

I finished the online application on September 23rd, my transcripts were received October 3rd, and I was notified of an interview by e-mail on October 7th with one LOR still missing.

So to answer your question, 2 weeks from the time of my online app being turned in without other materials having been received=)

I think it all depends on your situation.

Awesome, thanks for your reply. Did you go on your interview? What was it like? Were you accepted??

This may be a question for an upperclassman or an admissions person, but I am hesitating applying to SGU or Ross, mostly because I am married and don't know how difficult it would be for my husband to come with me, find work etc. Any married students livin' the dream w/ their spouses?

Thanks, femmedusiecle! This is very helpful

The SO's are extremely helpful, but I still can't get a firm answer on whether my SO will be able to find work (even scut work) or if I will be supporting us on my savings. If there is no hope of him finding anything it means loans for us, which I am trying to keep to a minimum.

Anyone ACTUALLY have a spouse on the island?

The SO's are extremely helpful, but I still can't get a firm answer on whether my SO will be able to find work (even scut work) or if I will be supporting us on my savings. If there is no hope of him finding anything it means loans for us, which I am trying to keep to a minimum.

Anyone ACTUALLY have a spouse on the island?

unfortunately, the spouses i know down here are doing long distance work (i.e. telecommuting or whatnot) rather than working here. try asking Jeffery Bates for the name of a student with a spouse, or maybe contact the SO group to see what they have to say?

Hi all, I am looking at applying to SGU for a Fall 2012 of Winter 2013 start. Is it too late to apply for Fall 2012? Has everyone already submitted their applications? I am waiting to write my GRE, test date is April - that's why I haven't submitted my application yet. Thanks for the help.

Hi all, I am looking at applying to SGU for a Fall 2012 of Winter 2013 start. Is it too late to apply for Fall 2012? Has everyone already submitted their applications? I am waiting to write my GRE, test date is April - that's why I haven't submitted my application yet. Thanks for the help.

The due date for August applications isn't until like June. You still have tons of time, but the sooner you get it submitted, the better, as spots may fill up! Good luck! :luck:

SGU is one of my top choices right now. I submitted my application late September for entrance into the 2012 August class, and finished submitting my LoR and other supplemental materials before December. I had a GREAT interview in December and now my application says its under "Final Review" online. I have been checking every single day for it to change and I literally stalk my email every 10 minutes. The wait is killing me!!!! When will I know?!?

Hate to be impatient but...I was told a little over two weeks ago that I'd hear back in one-two weeks about my interview date. I still haven't heard anything. Does this warrant a followup? :confused:

Hate to be impatient but...I was told a little over two weeks ago that I'd hear back in one-two weeks about my interview date. I still haven't heard anything. Does this warrant a followup? :confused:

you can certainly try, but from my understanding, they confirm you have an interview and then get in contact with an interviewer. when this has been arranged, they will again contact you with that person's contact info and the two of you will set up a date/time. they may just be waiting to hear back from someone for interviewing

I'm waiting on my date too. I emailed Krista and she said they have to find out when interviewers will be in your area before they can commit to a date. She said she will email me as soon as she knows anything. I'm sure the same thing goes for you.

Applied October 1st when I applied to the U.S. schools. Received an interview letter from Krista near the end of November. E-mailed her a month later because the interview offer via e-mail said they'd get in touch with me 'soon.' She said she would get in contact with me when the interviewer was available in my area.

Yesterday, I called and left a message around lunch time because it has been several more months so I was kind of concerned I had missed a call or something. She e-mails me today giving me the e-mail and directions to get in contact with my interviewer via e-mail. So it's basically a patience test and then more e-mails after your wait.

You can apply before you have your GRE and just state in your application that you haven't taken it yet. I applied 3 days before the deadline and managed to get in.. I also was waiting on my gre scores as well.

Applied October 1st when I applied to the U.S. schools. Received an interview letter from Krista near the end of November. E-mailed her a month later because the interview offer via e-mail said they'd get in touch with me 'soon.' She said she would get in contact with me when the interviewer was available in my area.

Yesterday, I called and left a message around lunch time because it has been several more months so I was kind of concerned I had missed a call or something. She e-mails me today giving me the e-mail and directions to get in contact with my interviewer via e-mail. So it's basically a patience test and then more e-mails after your wait.

Ouch! I hope it doesn't take that long for me. I'm going crazy enough as it is considering I've decided St. George's is the place I definitely want to go too.

I think it is just because I applied so early for the August 2012 term, that they just took their time. If I applied for January 2012 term I'm sure there would have been more urgency involved. GL to you though :-D

I think it is just because I applied so early for the August 2012 term, that they just took their time. If I applied for January 2012 term I'm sure there would have been more urgency involved. GL to you though :-D

I'm in the exact same boat. I emailed Krista and I now expect to hear back sometime in late Feb. or March. It's just driving me crazy because my interview was back in December. Such a long wait to find out!

Anyone have any feedback about the interview? What's it like? Any unexpected questions? Thanks!! :)

Hi y'all :D I am a student here at SGU and thought I would answer a couple questions. First of all, I am a second year student and I love it here. Being away from home is difficult....but when I walk out my door, I see a clear blue sky and caribbean sea for miles. I will take a picture later this week and post it if I can. If you guys matriculate here (which you should 'cause we're awesome) you will most likely meet me first term. I am a facilitator or 'tutor' for Histology, one of the classes you will take first term. Don't any SGUers give away my identity now....:p

To mixedvet - people who are here on a study visa, or their spouses, aren't eligible for employment. If your spouse has any special skills, he might be able to get odd/side jobs. For example, they are looking for someone to facilitate study groups for some of the undergraduate courses. So if he has a degree and something like that comes up, he might be eligible. One of my friend's SO used to be a personal trainer, so he works out with people in the gym, gives them nutrition advice, etc. Some people's spouses also babysit or clean for other students. It is not likely that he will be able to find steady work here, but it's not a bad place to be if you're "not allowed" to work ;) But finances must be considered, so use your set judgement.

For those of you who applied for fall, just be patient. I see many of the posts were from November. In November/December they were still accepting, interviewing, and getting everything in order for student who were matriculating in January. I was accepted on December 2nd and was here January 8th. It was a crazy, but fun mess getting everything in order to get here. The admissions office normally receives hundreds of applications for fall term. Krista Nelson is awesome, but remember she is only one person. SGU likes your interviews to be with SGUSVM alumni. It takes a while to find out if there is even someone in your area and if they are willing/able to interview you. Don't pester Krista every week, but if a couple weeks go by and you don't hear anything then it is ok to send a polite email asking the status of your application/interview. We have comfortably started the semester, so things should start to cool down now and move quicker.

The interview was my favorite part of the whole process. I was nervous and sweating like a pig. But after meeting my interviewer and talking for a few minutes, I was relaxed. If you are interviewing with an alum, they have been in your shoes. They know the fear and excitement that goes along with starting this new chapter of your life. My interviewer was awesome and it was like talking with a friend. They have certain questions they ask you, but you are free to ask them about their experience as well. My interview lasted 3 hours! We just sat and drank coffee and talked about her experiences, good and bad, and what I could expect. I also had to drive 3 hours to my interview, so don't be surprised if you have to travel a bit. If you applied to other state schools, you might have to do that anyway. But they won't require you to fly anywhere. If there are no alumni in your area, they will find a vet (or SOM alum) that has contacts with someone at the school.

The living situation is different for everyone. I strongly recommend that you live on campus your first semester. The school requires it, but that can be waived if you have a family or pets. If that is the case, please let me know and either I or one of the student ambassadors will get in contact with you to help you find suitable housing. The island is a safe place, but you should always use common sense. There are certain roads and places that should be avoided, that a new student might not know about. There are also certain landlords that appear okay on the internet, but have a bad reputation. I have lived off campus and it was too expensive for me - more expensive than the dorms. I am currently in a dorm "apartment" that I share with 3 other girls. I have my own room and MY OWN bathroom :D, and we share the kitchen and common area. I have air conditioning all the time, and don't have to worry about paying bills. When I lived off campus, my roommate (MonkeyPoo <3) and I only ran our A/C at night and we didn't have a dryer. We eventually had to stop running our A/C at all and only used fans, because the electric bills were too high. But it all depends on the place, and how new their A/C units are. Plus being on campus, you have New York Bagel and Glover's coffee shop in walking distance. <super delicious :love:

Well I think that's a sufficiently long post for now, lol. If anyone has any questions, just ask...I have exams coming up but I will check back. If you'd like to PM me I will give you my email address. For those that are accepted and decide to come here, I have a U.S. phone number that I can call you on if you have questions. I also have my packing excel spreadsheet that I can send you, so you don't forget anything. Good luck with all of your applications! I wish you guys the best of luck, but I'm secretly hoping that you come here! My experience here has been amazing. The cycle that I was accepted here, I had only applied here because I knew this was where I belonged. Good luck on your GREs and last semester for you undergrads. And for those who are in the working world like I was, don't pull your hair out or scream at your boss.....august will be here soon enough :xf:

ETA: It is 2 am so disregard any spelling/grammatical errors!

To jemappellejane - I would prepare for this interview just like any you might have had for other schools. I believe there is still an interview section of SDN that has different questions for each school. Brush up on your veterinary news, know about important things that are happening (i.e. legislation, disease outbreaks, etc.) If you know what aspect of vet med you want to go into, I would jot down a couple issues you may face or ethical issues involved in that field. Be prepared to answer questions about any anomalies in your academic background (withdrawals or F's on your transcript, your unconventional major, etc.) Ask yourself why you want to be in this profession. When did you know you wanted to be a veterinarian? Was there a pivotal event that lead you down this path? How do you feel you will adapt being in another country? What are some difficulties you may have being here? You should always look presentable for an interview of any kind. Even though the interviews can be very casual, you should dress for success. If you have an interview suit, wear it. I did not have a suit, so I went and bought a nice outfit for my interview. You DO NOT need to buy new clothes, I just didn't have any that fit. Shine your shoes, wear your diamond earrings and don't forget your lucky underwear! It is better to be overdressed than underdressed. Arrive early, plan for traffic, and sit in the parking lot if you have to. You probably will not know what your interviewer looks like, but they have a little sign for the table (if you are in a public place) and an SGU badge with their name on it. It is ok to be nervous, but take deep breaths. I promise you will have fun and leave the interview more confident in your decision to apply to SGU and more excited to get here.

Last edited:
Thank you so so much for all of your input! It's truly a great help. My interviewer seems very laid back according to emails he has sent me. I think I'm okay on the attire part, but your suggestion about brushing up on current events is a good idea. I haven't had the opportunity to interview with any other schools yet, so this is a first time experience for me- hence the :confused:!

I will keep you all posted (if you care :laugh:), and take your advice! THANK YOU!!!

Thank you so so much for all of your input! It's truly a great help. My interviewer seems very laid back according to emails he has sent me. I think I'm okay on the attire part, but your suggestion about brushing up on current events is a good idea. I haven't had the opportunity to interview with any other schools yet, so this is a first time experience for me- hence the :confused:!

I will keep you all posted (if you care :laugh:), and take your advice! THANK YOU!!!
Of course we care!!

Alright, all, so the interview was GREAT! My interviewer was awesome. I met him at his own clinic (where he not only works, but lives) and it was super laid back. I honestly felt overdressed because he was in his scrubs :laugh: Mine lasted about and hour and 15 minutes, but it could have easily gone longer or shorter- just depended on how many questions I had for him, really. We went over my transcript, talked about my strong and weak areas, he asked me a couple questions about my experiences, and that was pretty much it! I was very pleased with how it went.

Dr. Wildlife, I know has an interview coming up here. Anyone else??

And thanks to ALL for the advice/support :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, Pet Doc! I appreciate everything the admissions staff has done for me so far. I even told Krista that she must have a ton of patience to be dealing with me :laugh:

I was looking through the housing information and saw that the veterinary foundation people only get a choice of dorms. But, I'm only spending one semester doing that. I wonder if I could go ahead and get a vet school level room since I'd be starting that January? Any ideas?

Alright, all, so the interview was GREAT!

That's Great!! Glad it went well and was so laid back. I like how SGU has alum interview the candidates. So, you should find out in 2-4 weeks??

Alright, all, so the interview was GREAT! My interviewer was awesome. I met him at his own clinic (where he not only works, but lives) and it was super laid back. I honestly felt overdressed because he was in his scrubs :laugh: Mine lasted about and hour and 15 minutes, but it could have easily gone longer or shorter- just depended on how many questions I had for him, really. We went over my transcript, talked about my strong and weak areas, he asked me a couple questions about my experiences, and that was pretty much it! I was very pleased with how it went.

:highfive::soexcited::biglove: Awesome to hear it, JAJ! I was thinking of you all weekend (but SOL as far as internet was concerned. So, apologies to be posting a wee bit late:oops:) Glad to hear it went well:D

That's Great!! Glad it went well and was so laid back. I like how SGU has alum interview the candidates. So, you should find out in 2-4 weeks??

Yeah, having an alum interviewer is great- they don't BS and they tell it like it is! (The good and the bad). He said about a month, but who knows!

:highfive::soexcited::biglove: Awesome to hear it, JAJ! I was thinking of you all weekend (but SOL as far as internet was concerned. So, apologies to be posting a wee bit late:oops:) Glad to hear it went well:D

Awww, dubs, you are the bestest! Truly one of my bff's on SDN :laugh: Thank you so much for keeping me in your thoughts. How have YOU been, by the way? Please PM and update me ;)

Dr. Wildlife, I know has an interview coming up here. Anyone else??

Congrats JMJ, I was thinking this morning, ahh her interview was on the 4th and wondering how it went so really glad to hear it went well! :luck:

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN ACCEPTED TO ST. GEORGE UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!
Still waiting to hear back from the US schools I applied to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!