SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, finnerma!! :D
ZPearl- CONGRATS!!!!!! Do you start in August?? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN ACCEPTED TO ST. GEORGE UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!
Still waiting to hear back from the US schools I applied to. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Congrats!!! Aug 2012? And if YOU have any questions, feel free to ask ;) Welcome to the family!

turned in the last few parts of my application about a week and a half ago & just got my interview invite today. :) huzzah! now i just have to wait to hear on the date!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, finnerma!! :D
ZPearl- CONGRATS!!!!!! Do you start in August?? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yes! I was accepted for August 2012. I don't know if this where I'm going JUST YET. I had some pretty promising interviews at UF and Auburn. I'm from Florida so the in state tuition at UF would probably make it my #1 choice if I got in. Still, nothing beats studying for vet school and seeing some beautiful beaches when you look out your window!

The main reason I'm into SGU is their Master's of Conservation Medicine degree. I am super excited about having that program alongside my veterinary program. My interview is a week and a day from now (counting down...) and I'm so excited about it.

Congrats to all the acceptances thus far and, to all those waiting, I can't wait to find out if we're going to be potential classmates!

The main reason I'm into SGU is their Master's of Conservation Medicine degree. I am super excited about having that program alongside my veterinary program. My interview is a week and a day from now (counting down...) and I'm so excited about it.

Congrats to all the acceptances thus far and, to all those waiting, I can't wait to find out if we're going to be potential classmates!

make sure you really chat up the people running that program before you sign on, i know a few people who realized after advising sessions that it wasn't going to get them where they wanted and dropped it. :)

make sure you really chat up the people running that program before you sign on, i know a few people who realized after advising sessions that it wasn't going to get them where they wanted and dropped it. :)

Ouch. Do you know their reasoning behind dropping it specifically? I've been talking to the people for a few years now so all seems good at this moment.

Ouch. Do you know their reasoning behind dropping it specifically? I've been talking to the people for a few years now so all seems good at this moment.

something to do with being told it sets you up for more of a management desk job, and this girl wanted zoo med on the front lines. i also heard something about a halt on the africa part of the program, although you'd have to officially confirm that (too much cost for too few students?)

any how, not discouraging you by any means, just making sure it is what you want from it before you have to pay for it! :)

something to do with being told it sets you up for more of a management desk job, and this girl wanted zoo med on the front lines. i also heard something about a halt on the africa part of the program, although you'd have to officially confirm that (too much cost for too few students?)

any how, not discouraging you by any means, just making sure it is what you want from it before you have to pay for it! :)

management desk job, huh? I haven't gathered that from anyone I've talked to. But, then again, I'm not at St. George's yet. Even from looking at the course descriptions for the Master's, I don't see how that would be possible. They all seem to teach you more about disease in wildlife and effective ways to help manage populations of captive wildlife. That's so strange that she had that experience.

Thanks for mentioning it to me though. Yes, the Africa part was halted sadly. Hopefully it gets started up again! If worse comes to worse, there's always the option of loading up on internships and residencies instead of the Masters :laugh:

Well I submitted my application for Aug of 2012 a few weeks ago and got an email today that although they are still missing a letter of rec, they'd like to interview me. Woah. After being rejected from Iowa, Kansas, and Colorado, my confidence is shot and I applied to SGU on a whim. This is blowing my mind. How selective are they for the interview process? I mean, does getting an interview mean that you have a decent chance of getting in, or do they interview just about everyone?

Oklahoma is the only other state school I am waiting to hear back from. Ross also just came to my school and gave a presentation last week on their vet school. The only thing that stood out over SGU to me was getting 7 semesters done in 2.5 years instead of 3.5. Can anyone give me their personal reasons for choosing to apply/go to SGU over Ross?

So glad to see all the support on here, and thanks for the tip to the doctorinthesand blog, it always makes me feel so much better reading that people can survive in another country haha.

I am at SGU and love it. The reason that I didn't apply to Ross was because of the shorter time meant very short breaks. I had 5 weeks off for christmas and that didn't feel like long enough. I couldn't imagine only 2 weeks. I need the break from school to not get burnt out. Good Luck and I hope to see you at SGU in the fall!!

I'm with sbrdvm. I definitely want the longer breaks. Also, I've just heard generally worse things about Ross. I feel like they are more concerned with getting your money than the quality of education. Hence the reason why they push you through so fast. I read on the website that they accept about 67% of who they interview, but I have no idea if that's accurate. Good luck! I may see you there in the fall as well!

Ross is pretty awful. They accept too many students on purpose, most probably for the money. Then because of the large class, all the students are placed on a bell curve. Those at the lower end of the curve, regardless if you have pretty good grades, fail out of Ross. That explains their unusually large failing rate for veterinary school. On top of that, the accelerated program makes everything much more stressful and less satisfactory learning environment.
SGU on the otherhand is great. Unlike normal vet schools, if you fail one class for whatever reason you only have to retake that one class, instead of the whole semester. You also do your 4th year at practically any US vet school of your choice. On top of that they have a VERY high passing rate for the Navle and state exams.
My interview was by a graduate from the school who just sent SGU his notes + an essay you have to write just before the interview. It was low stress so I feel like if you got an interview, you have a good chance. I got accepted for Aug 2012 and will be attending if the US schools I applied to rejected me. So far, of the schools I interviewed with UF rejected me and I'll know from Auburn tomorrow. And I have an interview with Virginia in March and I'm waiting on an interview invite from UPenn too. Assuming those fall through, I'm stoked for going to SGU.
How do you all feel about a possible stigma about going to a carribean vet school over one from the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at SGU and love it. The reason that I didn't apply to Ross was because of the shorter time meant very short breaks. I had 5 weeks off for christmas and that didn't feel like long enough. I couldn't imagine only 2 weeks. I need the break from school to not get burnt out. Good Luck and I hope to see you at SGU in the fall!!

also, be careful not to be fooled by the "7 semesters in 2.5 years." if all you care about is getting your DVM 6 months earlier, then that's fine, but the "normal" DVM curriculum is 6 pre-clinical semesters, not 7. so you're stuck with an additional 4 months of classroom time and the extra cost that comes with those (I believe tuition is $15k per semester so add in cost of living and you're easily now at $25-30k extra just for one semester).

i have no doubts that Ross has an excellent program as well, I just try to point out the extra costs that come with the 6 months less for people because I think it's an easy oversight to make, but one that requires serious financial consideration :)

congrats! i originally applied to Ross too but like SGU better and withdrew my app when I was accepted here :) I certainly would have gone to Ross though if I had been offered a spot there and not here.

Ross is pretty awful. They accept too many students on purpose, most probably for the money. Then because of the large class, all the students are placed on a bell curve. Those at the lower end of the curve, regardless if you have pretty good grades, fail out of Ross. That explains their unusually large failing rate for veterinary school. On top of that, the accelerated program makes everything much more stressful and less satisfactory learning environment.
SGU on the otherhand is great. Unlike normal vet schools, if you fail one class for whatever reason you only have to retake that one class, instead of the whole semester. You also do your 4th year at practically any US vet school of your choice. On top of that they have a VERY high passing rate for the Navle and state exams.
My interview was by a graduate from the school who just sent SGU his notes + an essay you have to write just before the interview. It was low stress so I feel like if you got an interview, you have a good chance. I got accepted for Aug 2012 and will be attending if the US schools I applied to rejected me. So far, of the schools I interviewed with UF rejected me and I'll know from Auburn tomorrow. And I have an interview with Virginia in March and I'm waiting on an interview invite from UPenn too. Assuming those fall through, I'm stoked for going to SGU.
How do you all feel about a possible stigma about going to a carribean vet school over one from the US?
The drop out rate at Ross has been discussed a lot in this forum. I think you have a very biased opinion about Ross. They do not make a bell curve to fail people. That is just ridiculous. From what has been said on this forum, it seems that you are more "on your own" when it comes to academic success (that's not to say the professors are terrible and don't want to help, I'm sure they are just as a great at state side professors). You also need to consider that being in a totally new world takes a lot of adjustment, and all the while you are thrown into vet school, which is hard and challenging no matter the school. Some people just can't make the two changes at once, and unfortunately decide to leave or cannot pass their exams.
SGU and Ross both have match programs for students to attend selected US veterinary schools for their 4th year of clinics. You are not guaranteed your first choice, so don't get your hopes up of eventually winding up at your IS school.
Both Ross and SGU are great schools. I really hope people take the post I am commenting on with a grain of salt..

The drop out rate at Ross has been discussed a lot in this forum. I think you have a very biased opinion about Ross. They do not make a bell curve to fail people. That is just ridiculous. From what has been said on this forum, it seems that you are more "on your own" when it comes to academic success (that's not to say the professors are terrible and don't want to help, I'm sure they are just as a great at state side professors). You also need to consider that being in a totally new world takes a lot of adjustment, and all the while you are thrown into vet school, which is hard and challenging no matter the school. Some people just can't make the two changes at once, and unfortunately decide to leave or cannot pass their exams.
SGU and Ross both have match programs for students to attend selected US veterinary schools for their 4th year of clinics. You are not guaranteed your first choice, so don't get your hopes up of eventually winding up at your IS school.
Both Ross and SGU are great schools. I really hope people take the post I am commenting on with a grain of salt..

yeah i'm gonna have to agree with you-i think they're both great programs, and the adjusting to a completely new world is a big deal. it's an incredible stressor to add in with vet school.

and for quick clarification, SGU does a match program for 4th year schools (application, LORs, you choose top 3, that sort of thing) but at Ross you are placed based on GPA (they go down a list and just line people up

Those of us who have been researching the options in the Caribbean (well at least me) definitely took this with salt. To me the biggest reason Ross is below SGU on my list is cost. Ross is much more expensive than SGU according to the COA spreadsheets. For those looking for a blog similar to Doctor in the Sand about life at Ross try this one: http://mydvmvacation.blogspot.com/

I just hit submit for my application. I applied for January 2013. I'm so nervous... so now I'm just ranting. Has anyone ever got in that had to retake a class? Also, I have yet to take my GRE, scheduled for March. I have a 3.3 GPA so a high GRE would really help. Once again sooo nervous. Also the documentation, copy of the passport, and photograph with the conformation page, did everyone just mail that, or did anyone email that in? This is the only school I want to go to! Okay, ranting again. Good luck everyone else as well and congratulations if you already got in!

I just hit submit for my application. I applied for January 2013. I'm so nervous... so now I'm just ranting. Has anyone ever got in that had to retake a class? Also, I have yet to take my GRE, scheduled for March. I have a 3.3 GPA so a high GRE would really help. Once again sooo nervous. Also the documentation, copy of the passport, and photograph with the conformation page, did everyone just mail that, or did anyone email that in? This is the only school I want to go to! Okay, ranting again. Good luck everyone else as well and congratulations if you already got in!

Don't be too worried. I had a 3.3 GPA and an 1100 GRE score and got in. I'm pretty excited :)

Also, perhaps I was misinformed about Ross. Most of my information came from the SGU alumni that interviewed me. However, I also have heard from several sources that St. Kitts is not a very "friendly" place to live for students. That would make a huge difference in my decision.

So...my interview is tomorrow everyone. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Those that did interview - did you write out a practice essay before hand? I've always been really good at writing and expressing myself so I haven't done it yet for fear it would just stress me out more haha

So...my interview is tomorrow everyone. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Those that did interview - did you write out a practice essay before hand? I've always been really good at writing and expressing myself so I haven't done it yet for fear it would just stress me out more haha

good luck! you'll be fine! and no, i didnt practice the essays. it's just something small at the end, and you get to pick from 3 topics. i think the one i chose was about a mentor? dont worry about it :)

Those of us who have been researching the options in the Caribbean (well at least me) definitely took this with salt. To me the biggest reason Ross is below SGU on my list is cost. Ross is much more expensive than SGU according to the COA spreadsheets. For those looking for a blog similar to Doctor in the Sand about life at Ross try this one: http://mydvmvacation.blogspot.com/

Cool blog!

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I didn't write mine beforehand but I knew what I was going to write about based on the SDN interview feedback questions. My essay was just before the interview. It's a SUPER relaxed interview. It's more of them doing research seeing how you found out about the school and if you're okay with 3rd world living than them grilling you with experience questions. Rock the essay and you'll be great. Good luck!

My essay question (of 3) was about three characteristics that I possess that'll prepare me for veterinary medicine. Pretty easy.

My essay question was the same. Don't worry so much about GPA. I had a 3.0 undergrad, and had to retake a course after withdrawing, and retake another just to try to raise the grade. I have been accepted for August 2012. Just paid the first deposit last week.

This blog eases any concerns I had about living on St. Kitt's

also, be careful not to be fooled by the "7 semesters in 2.5 years." if all you care about is getting your DVM 6 months earlier, then that's fine, but the "normal" DVM curriculum is 6 pre-clinical semesters, not 7. so you're stuck with an additional 4 months of classroom time and the extra cost that comes with those (I believe tuition is $15k per semester so add in cost of living and you're easily now at $25-30k extra just for one semester).

For some reason I overlooked this before.... That's a pretty big deal... Does anyone know if there are less classes per semester since there is an "extra" semester?

good luck! you'll be fine! and no, i didnt practice the essays. it's just something small at the end, and you get to pick from 3 topics. i think the one i chose was about a mentor? dont worry about it :)

Thanks everyone! My essay was right before and I picked the influential/inspirational one. I finished with a few minutes to spare. Hopefully I didn't sound like I was ranting the whole time!

I really think my interview went well. I just hope the admissions committee thinks so as well! The hardest part was discussing my weaknesses but, I think I discussed them good. Hopefully.

Wow I wasn't even asked my weaknesses. My interviewer and I talked about scuba diving for like most of the time period lol

Wow I wasn't even asked my weaknesses. My interviewer and I talked about scuba diving for like most of the time period lol

I have a few bad points on my transcript. I think that's why they asked. I only got to talk about my experiences for a little bit and was kind of sad about that. Hoping they like just looking at my resume :scared:

I have a few bad points on my transcript. I think that's why they asked. I only got to talk about my experiences for a little bit and was kind of sad about that. Hoping they like just looking at my resume :scared:

Don't be worried. I have a few "C"s here and there that he pointed out. He also noticed I dropped a class. But he was really cool about it. He was like "oh an C in organic chemistry... no big deal.... Oh you dropped Vertebrate Physiology? I don't see why you took that class anyway haha"... So maybe you won't do as bad as you think. I really feel like the weighed portion of the interview was the essay... And you did well on that. So no worries!

Don't be worried. I have a few "C"s here and there that he pointed out. He also noticed I dropped a class. But he was really cool about it. He was like "oh an C in organic chemistry... no big deal.... Oh you dropped Vertebrate Physiology? I don't see why you took that class anyway haha"... So maybe you won't do as bad as you think. I really feel like the weighed portion of the interview was the essay... And you did well on that. So no worries!

Is the essay mainly judged on whether or not you can write under pressure/in a short period of time?

They didn't tell me specifically. I chose the 3 characteristics essay because it not only could show that I'm a decent writer but also gives them a little bit more about me before making their decision. But im sure any of the topics would do that. Don't worry =P

Is the essay mainly judged on whether or not you can write under pressure/in a short period of time?

Not sure but as Zpearl is saying, don't worry about it. After I left I realized I didn't even indent my paragraphs... yea! And I got my acceptance e-mail about a week later.

I applied for August 2012 and had my interview on Feb 11th! :) Waiting to hear back and was wondering what other people's time frame after the interview was.

I'm anxious and ready to stop waiting! Haha

I applied for August 2012 and had my interview on Feb 11th! :) Waiting to hear back and was wondering what other people's time frame after the interview was.

I'm anxious and ready to stop waiting! Haha

I think you should hear back soon. I applied super early for August, having my interview in December. I didn't find out until February because they still had to figure out the January acceptances and they were on holiday too. Hopefully more people get accepted soon! They invite you to a facebook group containing your incoming Aug. class members and I'm looking forward to meeting more people in my class!

Just got my second email from Krista letting me know who/where my interview is. Its near Manhattan, KS with a DVM graduate, about a 9 hour drive for me. How long do you think I have before the interview should be done? I am super busy with grad school and spring break might be my next option, mid March.

Just got my second email from Krista letting me know who/where my interview is. Its near Manhattan, KS with a DVM graduate, about a 9 hour drive for me. How long do you think I have before the interview should be done? I am super busy with grad school and spring break might be my next option, mid March.

In my opinion, I would do it ASAP but I'm not sure what the limit was. I was so excited about it that I booked in two weeks from when I found out haha. Spring Break shouldn't be that far away.

I had to drive 5 hours to mine. Oh, the joys of living in the South/Midwest where there is nothing.

Not sure but as Zpearl is saying, don't worry about it. After I left I realized I didn't even indent my paragraphs... yea! And I got my acceptance e-mail about a week later.

A week later? Sweet! Tomorrow would mark one week. Since it's on a Saturday, I'm sure it will take a little bit longer. Just ready to know my future...

Wow I feel sorry for you guys. My interview was over my winter break, so while I normally go to school 8 hours from where my interview was held, I only had to travel 45 minutes from home. GOOD LUCK ON ALL YOUR INTERVIEWS. Let us know soon!

who ever you interview with will likely be more than happy to set something up convenient for your schedule and theirs. mine was like 5 weeks after we made contact just because of overlapping availability :)

Yikes, yeah I only had to drive an hour or so! I still haven't heard yet, because I interviewed, then figured I didn't have to do anything else. Well, krista emailed me about 3.5 weeks later asking when I was planning to have my interview... I was like, ummm, I kinda did it already! Soooo, now I have to wait another 4-5 weeks!!! Ergh, didn't realize I had to tell her I finished my interview!

I feel kinda silly for asking when I would hear last night now...

Got my acceptance email this afternoon!!!

:D

I'm wait listed for Oregon State (as an out of state student) but am pretty positive I'll be going to SGU!!! Yay!!!

I feel kinda silly for asking when I would hear last night now...

Got my acceptance email this afternoon!!!

:D

I'm wait listed for Oregon State (as an out of state student) but am pretty positive I'll be going to SGU!!! Yay!!!

Wooohoooo! Congrats! I'm getting more and more excited for SGU as time goes on. I've always said it was my number one school choice, even over the US schools. Maybe I'm crazy but, I love everything it has to offer. Just hope they liked me as much as I like them and that I get accepted!

Congrats on those getting acceptances!

-If you guys or any of the ones still waiting or thinking about applying have questions feel free to ask them here or to shoot me a private message. I'm only a first semester student but.. ya learn a lot quick lol.

I love that telling my family and friends usually went like this: Yay! Congrats!...I'm coming to visit!

Gotta love being an excuse for a vacation ;)

Hey jmo1012- when did you apply to SGU and when did you get accepted? Did you apply to other schools too? If so, how long did you wait before accepting SGU?? Thanks :p

Just thought I'd share what my GRE, GPA, and work experience was when I applied. I also recorded dates that I sent things off/heard back from SGU, so that I could keep track of how fast everything was happening.

1/6 Submitted online application
1/10 Mailed packet (experience, fee, passport sized photo)
1/17 SGU received mailed packet
1/23 notified about interview invitation via email
1/31 found out interview would be in Athens, GA
2/2 told to contact Tom Nemetz, DVM about interview date
2/6 response from Nemetz about interview date/location
2/7 interview date/time set
2/12 interview at noon in Athens, GA; was told I should find out in 3-4 weeks about acceptance/rejection
2/24 ACCEPTED!!!

My GPA when I submitted my application was a 3.19 I believe. My old GRE score when I applied was a 862 I think...and I made a 299/346 on the new one I believe. All my experience was 3 years as a vet tech, 1 summer working at a dairy, and working with all the livestock animals and horses at my university's farm over the last 3 years.

I applied to 5 US schools in October via VMCAS. I found about between October and January that I had been rejected by all 5.

I live in Louisiana, but had my interview in Georgia because that was the closest place to have one at that time. It was very laid back, not what I expected. He didn't drill me with vet facts or many ethical questions. We just talked about SGU mostly. It lasted 1 1/2 hours. After the interview, he gave my mom and I a tour of Georgia's vet school, because I told him I was thinking about University of Georgia for my 4th year of clinical rotations.

I am for sure going though, and I can't wait to start in August!:biglove:

Hello All!

I've got my interview next week for hopeful acceptance to Prevet year 3. I've been looking over various interview questions, what do you guys find we're some of the most difficult questions? I'm so excited to start in August, I can't wait to get to SGU!

Honestly the hardest question I got was about whether or not I knew what it would be like living on the island, it being a 3rd world country and such... The essay they had us write, I felt, was what they will REALLY be judging us on. The actual interview was more of a conversation than Q&A. It was like a debriefing...They wanted to know how I found out about SGU, if I had any questions about the program, and if I knew what it was like to live in a 3rd world country. Other than that, it was just hanging out and talking to a nice veterinarian.

So what are the 3 questions that you can pick for your essay?