sgu c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: there is currently a waitlist for fall start. If you haven't heard anything yet there is probably a good chance that you are on the fall waitlist (and therefore automatically accepted for spring 2019 term). There will also be a lot of people called off by the April deadline. Don't lose hope!
What do you mean “called off by the April deadline” and who is telling you all of this? Last time I talked to Krista (about a week ago) she didn’t say the class was already full but did mention how the waitlist worked...

Members don't see this ad.

do you know when they’ll send this email??? I’m still waiting for an email (its been about 16 weeks since my interview). I have been denied to all of the US schools I applied to, so SGU and Ross are my only hope of reaching my dreams. I’d prefer to go to SGU, so I hope I hear from them soon.
All I know is what I have posted here. I was going crazy waiting for updates. No one would answer my questions and very very few people posted updates that they heard so I just thought I would pass on the information that I had received, hopefully it eases some anxiety.

What do you mean “called off by the April deadline” and who is telling you all of this? Last time I talked to Krista (about a week ago) she didn’t say the class was already full but did mention how the waitlist worked...
I just meant that as people get accepted to other schools that they want, they will turn down SGU's offer, opening up more spots and getting more people called off the waitlist. Since the deadline to notify schools that you will be attending (or not attending) is in April, I suspect many people will find out by then. There seems to be a large number of people that are turning down a spot at SGU. Krista told me earlier this week that the fall class was full and just today told me that they already had a waitlist for the fall start but plenty of spots still open for the spring start.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I was wondering if you are wait listed are you automatically added to the following semesters class? ie. wait listed for fall so added to the spring class. I know they do this at Ross but I wasn't sure if it was the same at SGU. Couldn't find it online on the website either. I haven't heard anything yet so getting prepared for the in case :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I was wondering if you are wait listed are you automatically added to the following semesters class? ie. wait listed for fall so added to the spring class. I know they do this at Ross but I wasn't sure if it was the same at SGU. Couldn't find it online on the website either. I haven't heard anything yet so getting prepared for the in case :(
Yes, I believe that SGU does rolling admissions so if you are placed on the waitlist for fall, you are automatically accepted for Spring.

I was wondering this too! I was also gunna ask if you are offered Vetprep at Ross OR VFP at SGU for Fall 2018, can you reject that offer and start with straight admission into the spring class?

OKAY. so i caved and decided to email Krista since its been 16 weeks since my interview. She emailed me back saying that I should get an email with a decision in about two weeks! I HOPE that is good news since this is my top choice! fingers crossed y’all

OKAY. so i caved and decided to email Krista since its been 16 weeks since my interview. She emailed me back saying that I should get an email with a decision in about two weeks! I HOPE that is good news since this is my top choice! fingers crossed y’all

I was over 17 weeks before I got my acceptance!

I was wondering this too! I was also gunna ask if you are offered Vetprep at Ross OR VFP at SGU for Fall 2018, can you reject that offer and start with straight admission into the spring class?

To my understanding of admissions (as a sgu student) no you can't decline prep courses. Foundations or prep semesters are offered to applicants who have either been out of school for a while or have weaknesses in their application (low GPA or GRE scores.) Where the school is unsure about how the applicant will perform in the actual veterinary curriculum. That being said... I have classmates that did foundations at SGU and are in the top 1/3 of the class. Caribbean schools are nice in that they give people with less than stellar grades a chance (me included) but the actual curriculum is on par with any back in the states. Lower academic cutoffs for admissions but the trade-off is that there are foundation courses just in case.

Does SGU require physics II as a prerequisite?

Has anyone heard anything recently? It is past the "3 weeks" that I was told that I would hear back in and I am getting worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you email asking for an update? and they told u three more weeks? or has it been 3 weeks since your interview?
Yes I have called for an update and I was told that I would have a decision in 3 weeks. It has been about 15 weeks since my interview!

Yes I have called for an update and I was told that I would have a decision in 3 weeks. It has been about 15 weeks since my interview!

ughhhhh kk! I emailed krista last friday (2/23) and she told me two weeks! its been about 16 weeks since my interview! :(

Does anyone know of anyone getting denied after being interviewed?

ughhhhh kk! I emailed krista last friday (2/23) and she told me two weeks! its been about 16 weeks since my interview! :(

Does anyone know of anyone getting denied after being interviewed?
I haven't heard of anyone getting denied after being interviewed.

To all asking of recent news, after nearly 21 weeks since my interview, just got an acceptance for Spring 19, waitlisted for Fall 18. Best of luck to everyone waiting still, I understand the anxiousness.

I received my email this morning. It offered VFP. Which is terribly disappointing. I don't know if I will be accepting the offer. I'm not sure how students pay for the program but I don't have the money and private loans like Sallie May are very dangerous and a really bad idea. Good luck to everyone else!

A lot of my classmates were in the VFP (I think around 30 ppl) and they had the advantage of having some of the classes before the rest of us, so now they are doing the best in our class! Also, because they had a smaller class size they all know each other and formed close bonds. Don't give up hope if being a vet is your dream!

A lot of my classmates were in the VFP (I think around 30 ppl) and they had the advantage of having some of the classes before the rest of us, so now they are doing the best in our class! Also, because they had a smaller class size they all know each other and formed close bonds. Don't give up hope if being a vet is your dream!
Thanks for that! I've been trying to find someone with any insight. I really appreciate it!

Thanks for that! I've been trying to find someone with any insight. I really appreciate it!

Youre so welcome! I know the feeling; I was accepted for January 2018 but I was in something called the AEP program, and I was like whattt? It turned out that half of our class was put into this program and it stands for "Academic Enhancement Program." So we have to go to a mandatory small study group and then attend another one put on by DES (Department of Educational Services). The program is just for your first term, but honestly our a lot of classmates wish they had been placed in it because our study groups are small and very hands on. There are a lot of things put in place at SGU that gear you up to succeed in vet school. We have midterms this week so had anatomy review sessions in class last week with "Clicker Questions" at the end we could see who answered the most correctly and in both groups the ppl had been in the VFP.

Youre so welcome! I know the feeling; I was accepted for January 2018 but I was in something called the AEP program, and I was like whattt? It turned out that half of our class was put into this program and it stands for "Academic Enhancement Program." So we have to go to a mandatory small study group and then attend another one put on by DES (Department of Educational Services). The program is just for your first term, but honestly our a lot of classmates wish they had been placed in it because our study groups are small and very hands on. There are a lot of things put in place at SGU that gear you up to succeed in vet school. We have midterms this week so had anatomy review sessions in class last week with "Clicker Questions" at the end we could see who answered the most correctly and in both groups the ppl had been in the VFP.

I’ll be in AEP in the fall, glad you think it’s helpful!

It’s definitely helps! We had a
I’ll be in AEP in the fall, glad you think it’s helpful!
physiology AEP meeting for two hours on Friday to go over stuff for the midterm. Our aep leader is a second termers and she has midterms as well this week but she took two hours out of her study time to help us. That’s just the nature down here-everyone wants everyone to succeed! We are all in it together! Seriously when you get here you will be so supported you won’t know what to do

Do you know if this means that I would be in the AEP program for my first term? Since I will be completing VFP first. Also, is is something that you can voluntarily go to or is it only if the school decides to place you in it?

I just declined my seat. Good luck

Do you know if this means that I would be in the AEP program for my first term? Since I will be completing VFP first. Also, is is something that you can voluntarily go to or is it only if the school decides to place you in it?

Typically VFP students are placed into AEP their first semester, but not always. And no you can't voluntarily go to AEP specific sessions, but there are other student-led sessions that are similar that you can attend if you want to.

has any heard anything from SGU recently? still waiting on admissions decision.. its been about 17-18 weeks since my interview

I just got my acceptance email! It also has offered me AEP (Academic Enhancement Program). I have been placed on the August wait list and accepted for January if a spot does not open for August! For any current students at SGU, can you give me more details about AEP. They say it is not a remedial program but just a helping hand during your first year! Any insight is welcome! Yay so excited!!!!

Also sorry for the double post but does anyone know if there is a current student forum for SGU? I tried to find one but have not come across it yet.

I was accepted for the January class and waitlisted for the fall today! Was also put into AEP.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted for the January class and waitlisted for the fall today! Was also put into AEP.

I was waitlisted for fall and accepted to january also! and put into AEP!! do u mind saying what # u are on the waitlist???? congrats!!!!!

Just got accepted into the Veterinary Foundations Program for the fall, I was wondering if anyone knew or heard of the pass rate for the program? I was reading and it didn't seem like it was an automatic admission into the next semester. I'm between here and another school, but SGU is the one I really want to go to so I was looking for more information about VFP. I tried looking up information but couldn't find any. Thank you!

Just got accepted into the Veterinary Foundations Program for the fall, I was wondering if anyone knew or heard of the pass rate for the program? I was reading and it didn't seem like it was an automatic admission into the next semester. I'm between here and another school, but SGU is the one I really want to go to so I was looking for more information about VFP. I tried looking up information but couldn't find any. Thank you!

As far as I know you have to maintain a 3.0 in VFP and then pass a comprehensive exam at the end of the semester to move into Term 1. Not sure if it’s changed though.

Im #48 on the waitlist

kk! im number #76! GOOD LUCK!! i hope by like the end of the april the waitlist will start moving fast, because people will have to commit to a US school by april 16th.

kk! im number #76! GOOD LUCK!! i hope by like the end of the april the waitlist will start moving fast, because people will have to commit to a US school by april 16th.
I am number 66 on the waitlist! Hopefully it starts moving soon!

As far as I know you have to maintain a 3.0 in VFP and then pass a comprehensive exam at the end of the semester to move into Term 1. Not sure if it’s changed though.
I know you have attended SGU so I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the Academic Enhancement Program. Thanks for any feedback!

I know you have attended SGU so I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the Academic Enhancement Program. Thanks for any feedback!

It involves attending required additional study sessions outside of lecture every week with a student from upper terms for the core classes in Term 1 (anatomy, physiology, histology).

It involves attending required additional study sessions outside of lecture every week with a student from upper terms for the core classes in Term 1 (anatomy, physiology, histology).
Thank you so much for responding! That sounds really helpful!

Do you know if most people pass the program and move into the January class? SGU is my top choice for Caribbean vet schools, but I couldn't find much besides just the requirements to move to the January class. Thank you!

Do you know if most people pass the program and move into the January class? SGU is my top choice for Caribbean vet schools, but I couldn't find much besides just the requirements to move to the January class. Thank you!

Most people do, there are some that don’t or leave halfway through VFP and do it over the next semester.

Has anybody been accepted to the KBTGSP? I made a note of it on my application and I recently got accepted into the MD program at SGU but there was no mention of the KBTGSP anywhere. I'm wondering if i didn't get in due to lack of seats or if I'm supposed to talk to someone about it.

Has anybody been accepted to the KBTGSP? I made a note of it on my application and I recently got accepted into the MD program at SGU but there was no mention of the KBTGSP anywhere. I'm wondering if i didn't get in due to lack of seats or if I'm supposed to talk to someone about it.

This thread is for the veterinary program sorry.