sgu c/o 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was granted an interview and it was a recommended that I complete 100 large animal vet hours by January 1st. I had my interview last week and it was so comfortable and laid back! Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear after the interview?

Hey! Regarding the 100 large animal hours does it have to be with a veterinarian or can it just be general large animal and some can be with a vet?

Hey! Regarding the 100 large animal hours does it have to be with a veterinarian or can it just be general large animal and some can be with a vet?

I asked Krista cause I need to complete that thing as well. She said that they are just looking for experiences that relate to large animals to make sure that you are aware what does it look like to handle large animals. So as long as your experience allows you to physically in touch or handle a large animal than you will be fine. Ask a vet or supervisor to write a certification letter will do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked Krista cause I need to complete that thing as well. She said that they are just looking for experiences that relate to large animals to make sure that you are aware what does it look like to handle large animals. So as long as your experience allows you to physically in touch or handle a large animal than you will be fine. Ask a vet or supervisor to write a certification letter will do.

Ooh gotcha okay thanks! I wonder if my zoo experience will suffice or if I should just go ahead and do additional hours. I emailed her so we'll see what she says.

Ooh gotcha okay thanks! I wonder if my zoo experience will suffice or if I should just go ahead and do additional hours. I emailed her so we'll see what she says.
I am going to complete mine during summer. Sadly I am handling frogs and toads in the zoo so pretty sure that doesn't count lol.

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed beginning of November? I interviewed 11/3..

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed beginning of November? I interviewed 11/3..
I interviewed 10/11, no outstanding coursework or large animal experience, still haven't heard anything. So I have no idea. I'm just trying to sit tight and not blow up poor Krista's phone/email lol

I interviewed 10/11, no outstanding coursework or large animal experience, still haven't heard anything. So I have no idea. I'm just trying to sit tight and not blow up poor Krista's phone/email lol
Same!!! Haha

If anyone is curious, I interviewed early-mid November (can't remember the exact date) and needed 100 large animal vet hours which I have completed. I called just a few minutes ago and was told I should know something within the next three weeks :( Hopefully it is sooner than that!

I think as long as it is a veterinarian that sees large animals on a regular basis, it is fine. I asked Krista about this because I wasn't sure if just an equine clinic would suffice. Krista told me that they prefer equine experience because you do a lot with equine during your first year. So I completed my 100 hours at a equine clinic but we also did see occasional cows. Hope this helps!

Just called again, no decision. This is now WEEK 16 since my interview; has me pretty worried about my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed been denied?
I don’t think so (but I could be wrong). From what I understand, all the rejections get notified around the same time. I know of someone who got accepted and was interviewed in late November and I was interviewed in October. So my hopes have dropped somewhat

Just called again, no decision. This is now WEEK 16 since my interview; has me pretty worried about my decision.
I’m very worried as well.

If anyone is curious, I interviewed early-mid November (can't remember the exact date) and needed 100 large animal vet hours which I have completed. I called just a few minutes ago and was told I should know something within the next three weeks :( Hopefully it is sooner than that!
I feel like three weeks is so long! Especially since acceptances have been sent already.

I don’t think so (but I could be wrong). From what I understand, all the rejections get notified around the same time. I know of someone who got accepted and was interviewed in late November and I was interviewed in October. So my hopes have dropped somewhat
Don’t lose hope! :) I interviewed mid-oct and I only got my acceptance a week ago! So I am sure you still have a great amount of chances!!

Reactions: 1 users

I wonder how many get denied after being granted an interview

Don’t lose hope! :) I interviewed mid-oct and I only got my acceptance a week ago! So I am sure you still have a great amount of chances!!
Thank you for the reply. That makes me feel better. I guess we will just see what happens. I just wonder how they make their decisions. I have been discussing with some veterinarians and they have no idea how vet schools make their decisions either.

I wonder how many get denied after being granted an interview
I think it depends on the number of applicants and number of space they have. But from my understanding, caribbean schools have a higher acceptance rate but it could change due to the larger volume of applicants.

Enrollment and Demographics - School of Veterinary Medicine | St. George's University

Here's the school's published acceptance rates for this semester's incoming class.

Applicants are ranked objectively (most likely by GPA, GRE, straight numbers.) The committee will then go through best ranked applicants then good applicants. Fall seats are always filled faster. I know they're trying to get people placed into the incoming semester as there are usually fewer applicants for that cycle.

*This is just what I've heard unofficially/through the grapevine as a student*

Enrollment and Demographics - School of Veterinary Medicine | St. George's University

Here's the school's published acceptance rates for this semester's incoming class.

Applicants are ranked objectively (most likely by GPA, GRE, straight numbers.) The committee will then go through best ranked applicants then good applicants. Fall seats are always filled faster. I know they're trying to get people placed into the incoming semester as there are usually fewer applicants for that cycle.

*This is just what I've heard unofficially/through the grapevine as a student*

Does SGU waitlist? If not, they might be waiting to hear if accepted students plan on attending before making further offers.

Not sure. I was waitlisted for Fall but was given a spot for January. (Then I got taken off waitlist and started in the fall '16)

Anyone heard anything else??

Krista's response to my email today was that I would receive my final decision next Friday. It made me even more nervous and anxious! 8 days has never seemed so far away! Now I'm going to panic for the next week!

Last edited:
Krista's response to my email today was that I would receive my final decision next Friday. It made me even more nervous and anxious! 8 days has never seemed so far away! Now I'm going to panic for the next week!
I wish you the very best!!!

Did she say BY next Friday or next Friday? Just wondering if they plan on sending everything out that day...

Yooo. I got my acceptance email today. I’ll be declining my offer tho. Hope it goes to one of you and best of luck!

I interviewed November 10th incase anyone is interested.

I also received an acceptance today (interviewed in November) but I will be giving up my spot. Hopefully it goes to one of you still waiting!!

What do you do in cases where you're selected as an alternate, but accepted to another school and want to remain on the alternate list? I know you'll obviously have to forfeit your deposit if you change last minute, but does anyone know the protocol? Is it frowned upon? I just got accepted at SGU and am an alternate for Western which is my #1.

What do you do in cases where you're selected as an alternate, but accepted to another school and want to remain on the alternate list? I know you'll obviously have to forfeit your deposit if you change last minute, but does anyone know the protocol? Is it frowned upon? I just got accepted at SGU and am an alternate for Western which is my #1.

did you get the email earlier or just now? Just curious if they send them after hours

did you get the email earlier or just now? Just curious if they send them after hours
I got it earlier around 11 am (EST). I interviewed 10/20, and had to complete addt'l hours. When I emailed krista last week she was able to tell me that I'd hear by the end of this week and low and behold I heard this morning.

I got it earlier around 11 am (EST). I interviewed 10/20, and had to complete addt'l hours. When I emailed krista last week she was able to tell me that I'd hear by the end of this week and low and behold I heard this morning.

Congrats to you!!! It's great to have choices!!

Congrats to you!!! It's great to have choices!!
Thanks! I'm definitely grateful I have these choices, but at the same time it's so nerve wracking. However, whatever will be, will be. I'm sure you'll hear back soon-- good luck!

It's fine if you pay a deposit and then change your mind. SGU has people on a "waitlist" as well, that may be accepted for the next class after yours that they could pull. We had a girl in my class who got in literally like a week before our first semester started because she got pulled off and into my class!

Is anyone here applying for the pre-vet year??? Im doing A levels so would be entering either the second or third year of pre-vet. My interview is next week! :)

I just had my interview this past week and asked about the numbers interviewed and how many are accepted. I was told about 400 people are interviewed and as of last Wednesday (1/31) only 15 people have accepted a position in the Fall class, not sure how many people they have offered acceptance to at that point. Hoping that we all hear back quickly with good news!

Reactions: 2 users
I just had my interview this past week and asked about the numbers interviewed and how many are accepted. I was told about 400 people are interviewed and as of last Wednesday (1/31) only 15 people have accepted a position in the Fall class, not sure how many people they have offered acceptance to at that point. Hoping that we all hear back quickly with good news!
I agree! Thanks for this information. I wonder how many spots total there are.

Jk, I just looked on their website and it said that their enrollment for 4 year DVM was 705 students. In total for veterinary medicine was 780. Are those numbers actually accurate?

Jk, I just looked on their website and it said that their enrollment for 4 year DVM was 705 students. In total for veterinary medicine was 780. Are those numbers actually accurate?
The gentleman that interviewed me did not give me actual numbers for how many they are accepting this year since when he attended the school the classes were much smaller, but I would assume the class would be somewhere around 110? I could be very wrong though, who knows!

Each class is typically around 100 students I believe, the largest I heard of while I was there was around 113 I think?