This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I am not taking classes this summer and will start my junior year this fall. I want to do some shadowing this summer, but I am having problems with actually finding doctors who want to do it. I’ve called several neurosurgeons, multiple private family medicine practices, and a private cardiothoracic surgery group. I’m in southwest Alabama. Any advice on how to find doctors to shadow? Anything at all is appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone, I am not taking classes this summer and will start my junior year this fall. I want to do some shadowing this summer, but I am having problems with actually finding doctors who want to do it. I’ve called several neurosurgeons, multiple private family medicine practices, and a private cardiothoracic surgery group. I’m in southwest Alabama. Any advice on how to find doctors to shadow? Anything at all is appreciated.
It's harder for docs to say no when you have a connection to them. Once you snag one, (and you behave properly) they might use their connections to help you meet other docs. Did you ask your own physician or those of your parents? Do any childhood friends have a parent who's a doc?

Consider asking if you can volunteer to help at a local Ready Med,/ Freestanding Ambulatory Care Clinic in return for some dedicated shadowing time.

Reactions: 1 user
It's harder for docs to say no when you have a connection to them. Once you snag one, (and you behave properly) they might use their connections to help you meet other docs. Did you ask your own physician or those of your parents? Do any childhood friends have a parent who's a doc?

Consider asking if you can volunteer to help at a local Ready Med,/ Freestanding Ambulatory Care Clinic in return for some dedicated shadowing time.

I have asked mine and have not heard back yet. So far my only experience shadowing is a surgical podiatrist (I don’t know how much that’ll help me in terms of getting into med school).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have asked mine and have not heard back yet. So far my only experience shadowing is a surgical podiatrist (I don’t know how much that’ll help me in terms of getting into med school).

Wont really help at all. Getting primary care shadowing is more important than getting a surgical subspecialty.

1) have asked mine and have not heard back yet.

2) So far my only experience shadowing is a surgical podiatrist (I don’t know how much that’ll help me in terms of getting into med school).
1) I hope you emphasized in your message that you are an old patient seeking to get into med school.

2) Better than nothing. Maybe this person could refer you on to another health professional to widen your experience base.

I shadowed a doctor who had my mom as a patient and became somewhere between a friend and a good acquaintance to her. I had never met him but that connection was enough for me to get a really good shadowing experience.

Reactions: 1 users