Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At least for the time being, Canada is on the top of the medal count - 3 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze.

I don't have a 'murica equivalent to chant. I'm disappointed.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a 'murica equivalent to chant. I'm disappointed.

How 'bout this?
Bc700EhIgAAdMTI.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Watching the Half-Pipe final....are they really allowed to compete with ear buds in?

The guy who just won slopestyle skiing has been feeding and paying for vaccinations for the stray dogs that are hanging around the athlete's village. Awww.

Reactions: 5 users
looks like the US gets another shot at Canada with the ladies...

Men are on a crash course in the semifinals...so, bronze medal at best for the loser of that game :lame:

My sense having watched all of the US and Canada games this Olympics twice is that the US women's team has more speed and offensive firepower, while the Canadian team is a little better defensively, has better goaltending and more experience and "hockey smarts." US needs to win more faceoffs and keep possession a little bit more - I've seen them rush some plays that have resulted in some bad turnovers.

Basically the gold is anyone's game. Now the history of the matchup says that more often than not, the team that wins if they play each other in prelims loses later on. We'll see. ;)

I'm not going to get anything done tomorrow or Friday.

Do I want to go to the bar to watch it tomorrow is the question...it's 10 am though....

Members don't see this ad :)
US vs Candida for the bronze on the men (unless they lose the let down bronze game...)

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. One of them will go to the gold game, the other to the bronze game. In no way shape or form are either guaranteed to win the bronze game or even really huge favorites, Finland and Sweden are good.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. One of them will go to the gold game, the other to the bronze game. In no way shape or form are either guaranteed to win the bronze game or even really huge favorites, Finland and Sweden are good.
I was implying the loser of this game was going to win the bronze unless they have a letdown.... Yes Sweden and Finland are good teams, but I'm a homer and candida, when they lose to the US, will be favorites to win the bronze

I was implying the loser of this game was going to win the bronze unless they have a letdown.... Yes Sweden and Finland are good teams, but I'm a homer and candida, when they lose to the US, will be favorites to win the bronze

I don't quite know about that. This is a 100% wide open field IMO, any of the 4 teams could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th without much surprise. US has the hot scoring hands right now (like that one dorky looking guy, Amanda Kessel's brother ;)) but all of the teams have guys who are more than capable of stepping up and shutting down the other team or assuming a dominant role.

As far as who I'm rooting for, I'd be content for the Swedes to finish #4 but out of the other 3 would be thrilled for any of them to win. ;)

I don't quite know about that. This is a 100% wide open field IMO, any of the 4 teams could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th without much surprise. US has the hot scoring hands right now (like that one dorky looking guy, Amanda Kessel's brother ;)) but all of the teams have guys who are more than capable of stepping up and shutting down the other team or assuming a dominant role.

As far as who I'm rooting for, I'd be content for the Swedes to finish #4 but out of the other 3 would be thrilled for any of them to win. ;)
I admitted i was being a team USA homer.

Wasn't team USA ranked #4 in the world coming into this competition(EDIT: actually #6, but do NHL players play in the world championships each year?... Sweds are #1, Fins #2, Candida #5)? so we have done well to at least improve upon those rankings...

I would be happy so long as North America brings home the gold. Happier if Canada did, sure, but if they can't then the U.S. is a very good alternative. :) My time spent there has softened me to that side....it used to be anyone but the Americans. ;)

I would be happy so long as North America brings home the gold. Happier if Canada did, sure, but if they can't then the U.S. is a very good alternative. :) My time spent there has softened me to that side....it used to be anyone but the Americans. ;)

I still want anyone but the Canadians. Mostly because I am not in the mood to deal with my classmates gloating.

Apparently this is my post pad during hockey games or what?

1898144_688113851246899_58652924_n_zpsc9cfc465.jpg

further proof that they should eliminate womenz hockey from the Olympics :p

Actually, this reminds me of the debate that went on in 2010 about whether to axe women's hockey or not with the clear dominance a few countries exhibit in the sport. This sort of relates back to that thread in SPF about the winter games, but so long as there is men's hockey, I don't think it's fair to axe women's just because some countries are embarrassingly poor at it. I haven't seen much about it this year though.

Actually, this reminds me of the debate that went on in 2010 about whether to axe women's hockey or not with the clear dominance a few countries exhibit in the sport. This sort of relates back to that thread in SPF about the winter games, but so long as there is men's hockey, I don't think it's fair to axe women's just because some countries are embarrassingly poor at it. I haven't seen much about it this year though.

This argument is the worst. It's so stupid - how in the world would this accomplish anything except setting women's hockey BACK a whole ton? It's only been an Olympic sport since 1998 and the other teams are making great leaps every year. This was Switzerland's first medal and they played pretty tough! Japan played great!

People did talk about this in 2010, but with both Angela Ruggiero and Hayley Wickenheiser as IOC members I don't expect women's hockey to go anywhere. :)

I admitted i was being a team USA homer.

Wasn't team USA ranked #4 in the world coming into this competition(EDIT: actually #6, but do NHL players play in the world championships each year?... Sweds are #1, Fins #2, Candida #5)? so we have done well to at least improve upon those rankings...

Team USA was #7 for seeding purposes, based on 2012's IIHF rankings. They were #6 as of 2013 and pre-Olympics 2014. No, most NHL players don't play in IIHF world championships, unless their teams are out of the playoffs and they are very loyal to their country (I believe Ovechkin plays in them some years...).

Last edited:
I know there was the debate, that's why I said it. I watch way too much espn, so know way too much about most sports... I agree with Nyanko though, it isn't, and probably shouldn't, go anywhere... Now, where is WNHL? Wait, nhl almost went under...

I know there was the debate, that's why I said it. I watch way too much espn, so know way too much about most sports... I agree with Nyanko though, it isn't, and probably shouldn't, go anywhere... Now, where is WNHL? Wait, nhl almost went under...

This is the closest thing we've got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Women's_Hockey_League

edit: also watching ESPN does not guarantee you know anything about hockey considering that the Stanley Cup Playoffs get less coverage there than spring training for MLB does ;)

Eh, it's not the greatest, but they have the best access and insider information, with little competition, so it is what it is

I am lucky there's Sports Net and TSN up here....they cover what really matters. ;) But I do not understand how anyone cares about baseball. That is just me.

Not wanting to hate too much on the sport, just really do not get the interest. :)

I am lucky there's Sports Net and TSN up here....they cover what really matters. ;) But I do not understand how anyone cares about baseball. That is just me.

Cmon, we all know you love the Blue Jays and the Raptors...

Cmon, we all know you love the Blue Jays and the Raptors...

Hate for all things Toronto? check.

TSN covers a lot of hockey so I do give them credit, but I only watch the local coverage since I would rather gauge my eyes out than watch sports coverage relating to the Maple Leafs. hehe

Hate for all things Toronto? check.

TSN covers a lot of hockey so I do give them credit, but I only watch the local coverage since I would rather gauge my eyes out than watch sports coverage relating to the Maple Leafs. hehe

And you bemoan the loss of the Expos and Grizzlies.

In all seriousness, I do lol at how expensive it is to live in Toronto when I watch the HGTV shows.

And you bemoan the loss of the Expos and Grizzlies.

Ehh, can't say I'm too broken up personally being from the West.

In all seriousness, I do lol at how expensive it is to live in Toronto when I watch the HGTV shows.

Yeah, it's nuts....though Calgary is catching up to Toronto and Vancouver a lot faster than I would like. :thumbdown:

I do enjoy House Hunters and other knock-off versions! International edition is also really cool....

Holy crap, I don't think I took a breath during that last minute....

I will have to watch the whole game when it replays on CBC....I only caught the last 12 minutes with completely losing track of time today. (horrible, just horrible!!!)

Look at them being so sportsmanlike with each other. I'm proud. :)

Calgary bars are opening at 5 am on Sunday for the game. Liquor will be served. :heckyeah: