Stanford vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just for fun - which would YOU choose?

• Columbia P&S

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Stanford

Votes: 43 71.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonfork

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find past threads on this particular match up, so I figured I'd go out on a limb and make a post (both for my benefit and for the benefit of other users!). The two schools seem as different as can be, and I'm having trouble comparing them.

Anyone else in a similar boat? I'd appreciate any insight. Let's have fun with this.

I'm an East Coaster so Columbia is a bit more in my comfort zone, which could be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. However, I've never lived in New York City, so it's still exciting and exotic. I like sun (who doesn't?) and interdisciplinary research, so Stanford's location and curric seem appropriate. But I also want a tight, collegial class, which Columbia seems to offer.

Good situation to be in!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As far as location, Columbia>>>>>>>>>>Stanford. I find Palo Alto really boring, and I can't imagine anywhere more exciting than NYC.

I don't think you'll be hurting for research opportunities at Columbia, and from what I've heard, the clinical training would be better than at Stanford.

If you enjoy an outdoorsy, active lifestyle, Stanford is the natural choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you enjoy an outdoorsy, active lifestyle, Stanford is the natural choice.

Haha, are you on the columbia wl? I don't remember. I don't know much about columbia (it was one of the skools I wanted to visit), but I know a few ppl who go to stanford. The curriculum is really research oriented and they encourage ppl to take a fifth year off. The opportunities are plenty and its close to SF but palo alto is boring in my opinion. Also stanford recently decided to issue grades in their clinical years so that is something to consider. Good luck.

edit: take a fifth year off for research

Last edited:
Haha, are you on the columbia wl? I don't remember. I don't know much about columbia (it was one of the skools I wanted to visit), but I know a few ppl who go to stanford. The curriculum is really research oriented and they encourage ppl to take a fifth year off. The opportunities are plenty and its close to SF but palo alto is boring in my opinion. Also stanford recently decided to issue grades in their clinical years so that is something to consider. Good luck.

I wasn't expressing a preference, just pointing out that Palo Alto has something quite different to offer that NYC can't. It really depends on the individual's needs. My sister did her ugrad and grad at Stanford (granted she lived in SF during the latter), but she is losing her sanity away from NoCal since she can't be outdoors constantly.

As far as location, Columbia>>>>>>>>>>Stanford. I find Palo Alto really boring, and I can't imagine anywhere more exciting than NYC.

I don't think you'll be hurting for research opportunities at Columbia, and from what I've heard, the clinical training would be better than at Stanford.

While I completely agree with you on this - PA is really yuppie for my taste and I don't think I'll enjoy living there as much as I would NYC - this isn't true about the Bay Area in general. I would almost certainly move to San Fran after first year and commute in, which I've been told is totally doable.

I'll leave the SF vs. NYC debate to someone else. :p

One thing that bothers me about Columbia is its lack of continuity with the rest of campus. Stanford has everything in one place, which I find cool.

One thing that bothers me about Stanford is the financial aid. True, there are all sorts of ways to reduce your debt there, but they come with strings attached: parents have to match the grant, you have do an extra year, you do research part time, you TA, etc. etc. Columbia gave me a little $$ and is cheaper for the standard, 4-year, in-and-out deal.

I absolutely LOVE Stanford. It was a my second choice for undergrad. I am garteful for Columbia acceptance but did not like it for some reason. My bff is at Columbia and that is the only attraction. I loved NYU but was waitlisted and ended up withdrawing. So, I am currently leaning towards Stanford.

Wow Stanford is kicking butt in this poll! I'm kind of surprised. Columbia is the best medical school in the best city in the world, after all. But Stanford is pretty great, too :)

So my experience isn't exactly the same, but it's comparable. Stanford and Cornell were both choices of mine and I have eliminated Cornell. This was partly for financial reasons, but also because I think moving to Cali from the East Coast would be a great growing experience. It sounds like you may think so, too.

go to the one u like better

I was an undergrad at Stanford, and rejected from their med school :( but am in at Columbia. The facilities at Stanford are phenomenal, the weather is beautiful, the diversity of the students (from all schools and departments) is exceptional, and you have great sports teams. Columbia's facilities are pretty crappy, but you live in New York, with all of its opportunities. To me, Stanford has a better reputation and is cheaper, and would be my choice. But as for life goals, perhaps New York is the more vibrant choice. The good thing is, you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.