This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm scrolling through pre-med reqs now it would seem some medical schools require statistics, but prefer biostatistics. I am enrolled to take elementary statistics next semester, and this statistics course specifically geared towards students who will later pursue graduate school in the sciences and pre-medical students. So, I have a few questions.

1) Will medical schools count it against me if I take elementary statistics instead of biostatistics?

2) Should I take both biostatistics and statistics?

3) Would there be any way on my application to tell medical schools that the elementary statistics course is designed for pre-med students, so any school that may hold it against for not taking biostatistics will not let it impact my admissions decision?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

If the requirement is that you take statistics, they shouldn't hold it against you that you took statistics instead of biostatistics even if biostatistics is "recommended." Now, if biostatistics is required, then that's a different story. Statistics is statistics - biostatistics is usually just the same course with data sets and concepts used from biomedicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took biostats and no schools told me it wouldn't count.

And I took normal stats. No schools told me it wouldn't count.

It doesn't matter which one you take. They're both fine.

Reactions: 2 users
And I took normal stats. No schools told me it wouldn't count.

It doesn't matter which one you take. They're both fine.
Thank you. Is thus also true if the medical schools "prefer" biostatistics over regular statistics? last thing I want is for it to be held against me for not taking biostatistics.

I had the option to take both but biostatistics worked better with my work schedule than statistics did. All schools I asked told me biostatistics would work perfectly fine for the statistics analysis if they did not outright say it on their admissions requirement page.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile