Still on the Waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolf Vet

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would start a thread for those of us still waiting to hear from our schools and maybe be able to vent a little.

I'm on WSU, MSU and UofMn alternate lists (OOS all) and this wait is killing me! I sympathize with those who are struggling with hard descisions of where to accept, etc. but this seems far harder. I know I have good chances (3 schools) but theres a chance that I won't get in at all and by the time I actually know for sure, next year's application will be due like a month later.
Spooty waitlists :cry:

Members don't see this ad.

I am with you on this. although i am starting to get down on my hopes of getting in. I am waitlisted IS for Tufts and OS for Oregon State. About 14 people have gotten the call from Tufts, and rumor has it that Oregon State has filled all of the spots already (there are very few OS spots as it is).

I am not looking forward to studying for the GRE again, Tufts suggested I do since i am 10pts below the average, ha!

my parents have nicknamed me the cusper, cute huh.

best of luck to you, three is pretty good. I always chear myself up though by thinking of my friend who got in off the waitlist at MSU midway through the summer last year.

I am not looking forward to studying for the GRE again

I'm definitely going to second that motion! I know the Iowa WL is moving pretty quickly, but I don't think it's moving quickly enough for me... blah! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you. I'm only on one waitlist, so I know that my chances aren't all that great. This is, of course, the second year I've applied to vet school since my undergrad. It's even more frustrating though when the school is telling people different things to different people on the list.

Oh, and even though I'm waiting for a call...if they don't want me, they won't call me. So it's also very possible that I'm waiting for a call that won't even come. I've been waiting a long, long time it seems.

I'm with you. I'm only on one waitlist, so I know that my chances aren't all that great. This is, of course, the second year I've applied to vet school since my undergrad. It's even more frustrating though when the school is telling people different things to different people on the list.

Oh, and even though I'm waiting for a call...if they don't want me, they won't call me. So it's also very possible that I'm waiting for a call that won't even come. I've been waiting a long, long time it seems.

I know! Us 'waitlisters' won't get a call even if they fill all their spots, because as they put it "anything could happen". I would rather have a definative answer one way or another.

So, the question is, when to start thinking about next years app? I don't want to start a bunch of summer projects/volunteer, etc. to improve my app unless I have too (I'd rather just work and pay off some bills), but waiting until Agust doesn't leave much time. Arrrgggghh!
:beat:

Wolf Vet-

I hear you on the continued waiting while other folks are getting the call...

I think the odds are in your favor, since you're on three waitlists instead of one.

I hope you get the call soon. Try and stay positive---it's not over by a longshot!:luck: That goes for everybody---it's far from over.

It sure seems like some schools are taking their time notifying waitlisters...

I definitely know and feel the same way as everyone else here, I'm on one waitlist at missouri and this is my second time applying... i just hate the waiting its torture, if i don't get in i don't know what i should do, whether continue taking classes even tho i am finishing up a master's degree this summer or just work and get volunteer experience i too just want a yes or a no so i can move on and start planning for next years cycle which starts in 2 months ahhhhhh its a never ending process

Amen, amen, amen--to all of these posts!! I know I shouldn't hold out hope, but I can't help it!! And I too really don't want to keep re-taking the GRE!!!
+pity+

With the puny salaries that are floating around out there for vets, we're definately a "for the love of the game" type of bunch.

Retaking the GRE? Do you have to retake it? Because I was under the impression that it is good for a few years? Or do you just want to try to improve?

I have to improve my GRE score.
:oops:

i have to improve mine as well

I am totally with you all! :oops: I'm waitlisted only at MN... far enough down that there is a good chance I won't get in, but still a definite possibility. I'm working/volunteering/studying to retake the GRE though as if I were not getting in, just to be prepared for the worst!

Here's :luck: to all of us waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
While my GRE scores are fine, theres always room to improve. Plus, vet schools always ask what you did to improve. This is my second year and many of my interviews asked me to explain how I had improved from last year.

Anther note, as fellow waitlisters, are all of your friends/family/coworkers being as unrelenting as mine? I get asked AT LEAST once to twice daily "if I've heard anything yet". It drives me nuts. If I get good news, I would tell them, so therefore, I havn't heard yet.

I am wait listed at Kansas State and Purdue. I have kind of given up hope though. I think I messed up my interviews by not thinking ahead enough. None of my interviewers seemed positive or happy during the process, while everyone else seemed to make them laugh etc. I have tried to schedule a postmortem at Purdue, but they won't do it until the final class is confirmed. Sigh.

Anther note, as fellow waitlisters, are all of your friends/family/coworkers being as unrelenting as mine? I get asked AT LEAST once to twice daily "if I've heard anything yet". It drives me nuts. If I get good news, I would tell them, so therefore, I havn't heard yet.

Yes constantly! I know they mean well, but Im about to blow a gasket. Another saying that is driving me bonkers is "Don't worry, it will happen"
:eek:

Yeah--It's tough to re-motivate yourself to study/improve your app when there's that remotest sliver of a spec of a molecule of hope that you could be invited from the waitlist!! :rolleyes:

I am wait listed at Kansas State and Purdue. I have kind of given up hope though. I think I messed up my interviews by not thinking ahead enough. None of my interviewers seemed positive or happy during the process, while everyone else seemed to make them laugh etc. I have tried to schedule a postmortem at Purdue, but they won't do it until the final class is confirmed. Sigh.

I think maybe I suffered from the same mistake, kat! Doh!

Yeah--It's tough to re-motivate yourself to study/improve your app when there's that remotest sliver of a spec of a molecule of hope that you could be invited from the waitlist!! :rolleyes:

Agreed, my motivation is completely gone. I am "enrolled" for the Masters program for my school for next Fall as my backup, but I really have no desire to work on a Masters at this point. It feels like by being enrolled, I am already resigning to not getting in to vet school.

Second question about waitlists. Does anyone know HOW they typically inform waitlisters of an available spot? I'm not sure if I should be neurotically holding my phone, or religiously checking my e-mail or mailbox?:confused:

I definitely feel you on that one. Well, my first mistake was only applying to Illinois this year. My application was fine, except my interview went badly. I had a physics exam that day in addition to the interview (the physics dept at my school wouldn't let me take a conflict exam because the interview was near campus), so I was literally having panic attacks the night before--and didn't get any sleep, which didn't help at all for an 8am interview. I really should've thought before I spoke to the interviewers, so the word wouldn't get out to them that I'm actually a junior applying early...and unfortunately it did. Not only that, I didn't explain my experiences enough. I did a postmortem because my letter said that although I'm an alternate, it's "unlikely" that I'll get admitted. During that session, they told me the comments given by interviewers, which included a statement that I need another year of undergrad, as well as more diverse experiences (even though I'm graduating early and technically am a senior, and my animal/vet experience score on my application was phenomenal, according to the reviewers). It sucks that one day can screw everything up like that... :(

And even though they told me my chances of getting in this year are slim, I still have this little ounce of hope that they'll call me, especially when I have people asking me left and right whether I have heard back from Illinois. It's kind of pathetic... :oops:

Ok guys- the majority of you know my situation (being #1 on the IS waitlist at MN) and I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD! When I called last Monday I was told they would be contacting IS alternates "very shortly" and when I asked "so like within a week?" they said "Oh definitely". This lead me to believe it would've been this week. WRONG!:scared:

I am anxious (and I know lots of you are saying "there's nothing to worry about") and until I know something for sure I will be anxiously waiting!:( We're also looking at houses and it's hard to not know for sure where in the world (literally) we'll be in 4 months!

Ok done venting. Thanks for listening! :oops:

Has anyone heard if anythings going on with their alternate list? Haven't heard of any movement at all.
And Carrbear, hope you don't mind my borrowing your saying. I felt sooooo good about Western, and let myself feel it really might happen, and wow, what disappointment. So now, I'm just going to do like it says:

"Hope for the best and expect the worst. Life is a play and we go unrehearsed." -Dr. Seuss
Good luck, you should hear any day!:luck:

I have a friend who just (yesterday, i think) got into Western off of the waitlist so apparently it's moving...

no, i don't know how she found out. i've class w/ her on monday so i'll ask...

How often would be appropriate to call a school and ask about the waitlist? I don't want to come off as annoying or neurotic so I figured I would wait until the 1st or 2nd week of May before calling again (my last call was 3 weeks ago, and I learned nada, MSU said its too early to to tell my my waitlist rank and WSU said that OOS waitlisters are in a "pool" with no true ranking whatsoever).

I contacted MN a few days ago, to make sure they had my correct phone number, and the woman I spoke with said they had extended the deadline until Friday the 25th, and then it would take a few days to sort through everything. So don't worry Carrbear, I know the wait sucks, but at least they aren't calling because everything is full!

Carrbear...what happened with Iowa? I think you said their initial deadline for you was this past Friday (4/25). Did they give you more time? I hope everything is working out for you!! Keep us posted! :)

Carrbear...what happened with Iowa? I think you said their initial deadline for you was this past Friday (4/25). Did they give you more time? I hope everything is working out for you!! Keep us posted! :)

I called and asked for an extension (whoever mentioned that idea THANK YOU!). We are still in the process of analyzing our finances to see if we can afford London or Iowa etc. That has a huge weight on what we do since money doesn't grow on trees (at least where I come from!)!:)

Thanks for the hope guys :) I appreciate it! JerseyLynn: I live by that quote (though my husband HATES it! He's a blind optimist and I, well, live realistically... or pessimistically depending on your view!)

I definitely feel you on that one. Well, my first mistake was only applying to Illinois this year. My application was fine, except my interview went badly. I had a physics exam that day in addition to the interview (the physics dept at my school wouldn't let me take a conflict exam because the interview was near campus), so I was literally having panic attacks the night before--and didn't get any sleep, which didn't help at all for an 8am interview. I really should've thought before I spoke to the interviewers, so the word wouldn't get out to them that I'm actually a junior applying early...and unfortunately it did. Not only that, I didn't explain my experiences enough. I did a postmortem because my letter said that although I'm an alternate, it's "unlikely" that I'll get admitted. During that session, they told me the comments given by interviewers, which included a statement that I need another year of undergrad, as well as more diverse experiences (even though I'm graduating early and technically am a senior, and my animal/vet experience score on my application was phenomenal, according to the reviewers). It sucks that one day can screw everything up like that... :(

And even though they told me my chances of getting in this year are slim, I still have this little ounce of hope that they'll call me, especially when I have people asking me left and right whether I have heard back from Illinois. It's kind of pathetic... :oops:

I am in the same situation as far as the interview is concerned. I was told my supp. essay was the highest scoring that Mary had seen. She said ny interview is the only thing that torpedoed my chances. Imagine that...15 minutes or so decides the next four years of your life(if you get in) or the next year(if you don').:(

I spoke with the head of admissions at the U of MN to see why I was on the waitlist, and what I need to do to improve for next year if I don't make it. He said there was nothing wrong with my app, and that it was as good as everyone who was accepted. That is so FRUSTRATING! What did I do to get waitlisted over someone else? Random draw out of a hat?!

I spoke with the head of admissions at the U of MN to see why I was on the waitlist, and what I need to do to improve for next year if I don't make it. He said there was nothing wrong with my app, and that it was as good as everyone who was accepted. That is so FRUSTRATING! What did I do to get waitlisted over someone else? Random draw out of a hat?!

Ouch! Did you ask?! I'd want to know wtf was up with that!

I've heard that those accepted and those not can literally be separated by tenths or hundredths of points. I think it has a lot to do with WHO interviews you. You may have gotten all As from one interviewer where another would view your skills as a B+ (pardon the school grade analogy). I had an interviewer who seemed COMPLETELY uninterested in me and what I was saying, seemed to not even be listening at times (but I guess he was given where I'm ranked). I've heard this year's pool was FILLED with "high competitive" applicants-- not that this makes us feel any better! I'm sure you were incredibly frustrated hearing what you did. *FINGERS CROSSED* for this week! :D:luck::luck::luck:

I contacted MN a few days ago, to make sure they had my correct phone number, and the woman I spoke with said they had extended the deadline until Friday the 25th, and then it would take a few days to sort through everything.

A few days? I wonder if it's true or just a way to placate us? (It seems like everytime we ask, its always just "soon" or a "little longer") It's so frustrating!

Cinc, are you IS or OOS? I'm also waiting to hear from Mn, but I'm OOS and ranked 17 of 33 I believe, so I'm not sure I should hold my breath. Sigh.

I've heard that those accepted and those not can literally be separated by tenths or hundredths of points.

And I always assumed I just bombed my interview when I got waitlisted .... and it was my experiences and LORs that were keeping me in --- I guess I didn't know that it could be so close.

Cinc, are you IS or OOS? I'm also waiting to hear from Mn, but I'm OOS and ranked 17 of 33 I believe, so I'm not sure I should hold my breath. Sigh.
I'm In State. If it makes you feel better, 2 years ago MN exhausted the entire OOS waitlist and accepted several people who were initially flat-out rejected. So back to holding your breath! ;)
And I always assumed I just bombed my interview when I got waitlisted .... and it was my experiences and LORs that were keeping me in --- I guess I didn't know that it could be so close.
I was told I had a fantastic interview, good LORs, and good personal statement. I guess the only thing I can really improve in is more experience, because you can never have too much!

In a word - WOW. I just called Brenda from admissions at Iowa to see how far they've gotten down the OOS wait-list. She told me that they're already at #51! :eek: I am really shocked that the list is moving so quickly! She also told me that due to people rescinding their spot for admission and on the wait-list, there's only ~25-30 people ahead of me! I know that sounds like a lot and I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but considering how much of the list they've exhausted already and how far down they've gone in the past (~100), it's hard not to get a little excited. Ok, I need to calm down now! :laugh:

Here's to wishing and hoping! :luck:

In a word - WOW. I just called Brenda from admissions at Iowa to see how far they've gotten down the OOS wait-list. She told me that they're already at #51! :eek: I am really shocked that the list is moving so quickly! She also told me that due to people rescinding their spot for admission and on the wait-list, there's only ~25-30 people ahead of me! I know that sounds like a lot and I'm really trying not to get my hopes up, but considering how much of the list they've exhausted already and how far down they've gone in the past (~100), it's hard not to get a little excited. Ok, I need to calm down now! :laugh:

WOW is right! I'm sending good vibes your way! :love:

You're good to go Janelle! Last year they went through 128 or so people on the OOS waitlist. *fingers crossed*:luck::luck:

Wow, this is all new to me. They have over 100 people on their waitlist!?:eek:. That's insane! Mn only has in the 30's. (Michegan and Washington won't tell me how big their list is) Is it common to have such big lists?

I wish my school's OOS alternate list was movie that fast! 51 people already? That's amazing... :eek:

Does anyone know when Michigan usually starts calling alternates? I'm an alternate there and have accepted another OOS school but am at a toss up over which one I would choose. Plus, I just started Immunology as a prereq for Mississippi and would need to take cell bio as a prereq for Michigan. The cell bio course is online, costs 1500 and begins May 8th!

Does anyone know when Michigan usually starts calling alternates? I'm an alternate there and have accepted another OOS school but am at a toss up over which one I would choose. Plus, I just started Immunology as a prereq for Mississippi and would need to take cell bio as a prereq for Michigan. The cell bio course is online, costs 1500 and begins May 8th!

I called Michigan not too long ago and they told me they may start calling OOS the first week of May (they won't call before that), but will more likely start the second week. I really feel you there, I had to sign up for Purdue's online Nutrition class as a Michegan prereq (only $900 though).

Wish you all the luck - hopefully we'll be in class together in the fall!!

Also so all you guys know I sent in a no thanks to UPEI and LSU today - so if any of you are on that waiting list - there is another spot opening.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes, everyone! Hopefully I'll have some good news to share sooner than later...

so on my drive home from work today I saw a bumper sticker that read tufts university college of veterinary medicine (given I live in the town next to the campus, but I rarely ever see those) and less than 10min later I saw an oregon liscence plate RIGHT in front of me..these are the two schools im waitlisted at, just thought it was funny...

Do you know how he was notified?
So my friend who got into Western off the waitlist found out through snail mail last week. i shouldn't have been surprised since they sent out mar 15th decisions via snail mail too...

so on my drive home from work today I saw a bumper sticker that read tufts university college of veterinary medicine (given I live in the town next to the campus, but I rarely ever see those) and less than 10min later I saw an oregon liscence plate RIGHT in front of me..these are the two schools im waitlisted at, just thought it was funny...

Similar thing happened to me. I was driving home one day and saw a car with an Iowa license plate in front of me. I thought, "Hey, I applied there." I checked my email when I got home and I had a message from ISU telling me I had an interview! Coincidence? I think not! :p