Stock Market 2022 except we just talk about stocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
then invest more than $50K per year, not that difficult to do
Just make sure you don’t do it all at once like I did. I put - large cash position into the market at the beginning of this down swing. I’ll likely continue to be down for the next 3-5 years. I’m still putting money in but limited to the amount I can put in now compared to a couple of months ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure you don’t do it all at once like I did. I put - large cash position into the market at the beginning of this down swing. I’ll likely continue to be down for the next 3-5 years. I’m still putting money in but limited to the amount I can put in now compared to a couple of months ago.

Actually, you did the statistically favorable thing to do (lump sum investing, LSI) which is to stay in the market for as long as possible. LSI outperforms dollar cost averaging about 66% of the time.

Reactions: 5 users
inflation eats away half of that. 4.7m in future is prob 2.3m today. probably not enough for a 3bedroom home here
Sounds like you should move!

But honestly, if you save and invest 20-25% of your gross income for an entire 30 year career, you will have more than enough to retire with, investing in boring old index funds. 30 years too long? Increase that to 30%. 50%? Achieving market returns is just about the best thing you can hope for. Beating the market consistently throughout your entire career? I would submit that it is nearly impossible even for the most sophisticated investors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

But honestly, if you save and invest 20-25% of your gross income for an entire 30 year career, you will have more than enough to retire with, investing in boring old index funds. 30 years too long? Increase that to 30%. 50%? Achieving market returns is just about the best thing you can hope for. Beating the market consistently throughout your entire career? I would submit that it is nearly impossible even for the most sophisticated investors.
That has what has worked for the 50+ years for US based investors. Assuming a US based +/- a dollop of International diversification. No where else has done as well.

it is rather unlikely the market takes 3-5 years to reach a new high. Possible, but not likely. Also any money you invest along the way will be making gains prior to that eventual new high so your total investment returns will be in the green prior to a new all time high.

The VGT is yet another fantastic Vanguard fund that investors can use to easily and cheaply get exposure to one of the most lucrative sectors of the stock market; technology.

The VGT has an expense ratio of 0.10%, compared to the median score expense of 1.29. The fund is passively managed and uses a full-replication strategy to track the performance of the MSCI US Investable Market Index (IMI)/Information Technology 25/50 Index. This includes stocks of companies that serve the electronics and computer industries or that manufacture product based on the latest applied science.
What you’re describing is tilting a portfolio. There’s nothing wrong with that. It requires a little predictive ability but not so much that it becomes gambling. When reading your previous posts without this context it sounds like you would recommend placing a massive portion of your portfolio on what is essentially a gamble because no one can predict the future. All of your previous statements are also through the retrospectroscope lens and it’s important to be clear about that to avoid confusion.

Reactions: 1 users
for clarity sake, 7% is roughly the long term average REAL return of the US stock market which is after inflation. The NOMINAL return long term is more like 10%. So you don't have to adjust for inflation with that 7% as it is already included.

So that $4.7M would be in today's dollars assuming that return.
Each person/investor needs to run a realistic scenario of what he/she needs at retirement taking into account inflation. I would think an inflation number of 3-3.5% would be more the norm going forward than the lower numbers of the past. There are many calculators out there to help you. Most experts recommend you use a lower real return going forward than 10% like more in the 7-8% range with real returns of 5%. Now, with that in mind can you get to your goal with $50,000 per year? I would say NO because some of you need real returns north of 8% which can only be obtained by embracing the tech sector over the long run. This means a tilt towards tech of like 1/3 of your portfolio. I fully embrace a diversified portfolio but one must be realistic about the goals you are trying to reach with just $50K per year.

As shown in the chart above, we project U.S. large-capitalization stocks to return 6.4% annually over the next 10 years, compared with 7.5% for international large-capitalization stocks. The difference is mainly due to the valuation differences between U.S. stocks compared to international stocks. International stocks are generally riskier than U.S. stocks and investors expect to be compensated for taking on this additional risk. However, we believe that the markets have discounted this risk beyond what fundamentals suggest.

1652023744584.png

To reach long-term financial goals, investors should have reasonable expectations for long-term market returns. Overly optimistic expectations could lead to saving too little, because they believe their investments will grow enough to fund their retirement or a child’s college education. On the other hand, if return expectations are overly pessimistic they may save too much, at the expense of everyday living and enjoyment.

To provide a guide for investors, our analysts at Charles Schwab Investment Advisory, Inc. annually update their long-term return forecasts for stocks and bonds over the coming decade. The latest estimates, summarized in the chart below, cover the period from January 2022 through December 2031.

Next five years. The soothsayers on the Capital Market Assumptions team at Northern Trust Asset Management expect moderate U.S. economic growth of 2.1%, on average, over the next five years, while interest rates remain low and inflationary forces are checked by productivity-boosting technology and automation. They expect stocks to deliver mid-single-digit returns. A mix of elevated valuations, modest global growth, lower profit margins and a growing focus on corporate stakeholders who are not shareholders (think employees, communities and even the environment) will subdue returns, according to the bank. The forecast calls for U.S. stocks to return 4.7% annualized, including dividends. You might get 5.4% annualized in European shares and the same from emerging-markets stocks, says Northern Trust.

There is some good news. When we get these mini bear markets, like the Spring and summer of 2002, investors who have cash available can turbocharge their returns by buying LOW and reaping the rewards when markets return to normal. For example, markets may end the year flat for 2022 but think about the returns you would make by buying the bear market then simply waiting for it to recover to baseline. I don't know how long the bear market will last but this is a great opportunity to deploy cash below an S and P 500 of 4100. But, that assumes you have cash to deploy and were patient in your investing strategy by not buying certain equities when they are way-over-valued like in the fall of 2021.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought 5 shares of Amazon on Thursday (down like 7%) thinking it would recount quickly, but it didn’t. So looks like it’s a long term hold

Each person/investor needs to run a realistic scenario of what he/she needs at retirement taking into account inflation. I would think an inflation number of 3-3.5% would be more the norm going forward than the lower numbers of the past. There are many calculators out there to help you. Most experts recommend you use a lower real return going forward than 10% like more in the 7-8% range with real returns of 5%. Now, with that in mind can you get to your goal with $50,000 per year? I would say NO because some of you need real returns north of 8% which can only be obtained by embracing the tech sector over the long run. This means a tilt towards tech of like 1/3 of your portfolio. I fully embrace a diversified portfolio but one must be realistic about the goals you are trying to reach with just $50K per year.

on one hand you correctly point out that maybe you should be a bit more conservative in projections than historical norms going forward, because that just gives you a bigger margin of error. Then you incorrectly try to predict the future by suggesting a particular sector is likely to outperform all the others going forward.

your crystal ball is no more likely to be correct than random chance

Members don't see this ad :)
on one hand you correctly point out that maybe you should be a bit more conservative in projections than historical norms going forward, because that just gives you a bigger margin of error. Then you incorrectly try to predict the future by suggesting a particular sector is likely to outperform all the others going forward.

your crystal ball is no more likely to be correct than random chance
My "crystal ball" is based on the real world and the area of the economy where we excel: tech sector. Of course you need to be selective in purchasing tech stocks and an ETF is less risky than owning individual names but if you need alpha that is where you can get it.

Dan Ives and John Katsingris, analysts at the investment firm Wedbush Securities, wrote in a recent report that what we are seeing now is only the beginning of a long-term explosion in tech earnings. They estimated that companies would spend a trillion dollars on cloud services over the coming years, meaning that there is a lot more room for tech companies to keep growing and growing and growing. Apple’s services business alone could be worth $1.5 trillion, Ives has estimated. He and other pundits have called the coming investment boom in tech the “Fourth Industrial Revolution.”
That sounds grandiose. And yet it’s hard to see what stands in Big Tech’s way. Lawmakers and regulators have expressed alarm over tech behemoths’ market power, but with the midterm election looming and Republicans and Democrats still at odds over what exactly to do to curb tech giants’ power, the window for new antimonopoly policy might be shrinking.
I wonder if a few years from now we’ll say that when it came to anticipating the future for Big Tech, we weren’t thinking big enough.

My "crystal ball" is based on the real world and the area of the economy where we excel: tech sector. Of course you need to be selective in purchasing tech stocks and an ETF is less risky than owning individual names but if you need alpha that is where you can get it.

your knowledge is already priced into the market

Reactions: 4 users
for clarity sake, 7% is roughly the long term average REAL return of the US stock market which is after inflation. The NOMINAL return long term is more like 10%. So you don't have to adjust for inflation with that 7% as it is already included.

So that $4.7M would be in today's dollars assuming that return.
thats a good point
then invest more than $50K per year, not that difficult to do

:eek::eek: not easy

haha

yea if i move, 20-25% of gross may be achievable. but right now, tax already takes like 40%. so i'm working with 60% gross.
and obviously rent is expensive here..

yea 20-25% gross is not happening for me :cryi:

haha

yea if i move, 20-25% of gross may be achievable. but right now, tax already takes like 40%. so i'm working with 60% gross.
and obviously rent is expensive here..

yea 20-25% gross is not happening for me :cryi:
You've probably told us before. Are you tied to NYC by family obligations?

Tough situation to be in. I don't know how ordinary middle class people get ahead in the big coastal cities.

“We expect markets to remain volatile, with risks skewed to the downside as stagflation risks continue to increase,” wrote Barclays’ Maneesh Deshpande. “While we cannot discount sharp bear market rallies, we think upside is limited.”

The more the sentiment becomes negative the better the buying opportunities. As we break below an S and P 500 of 4,000 the overall market is starting to look very attractive once again. I think we will see maybe another 5-8% decline from here but timing the exact bottom is almost impossible.

There is some good news. When we get these mini bear markets, like the Spring and summer of 2002, investors who have cash available can turbocharge their returns by buying LOW and reaping the rewards when markets return to normal. For example, markets may end the year flat for 2022 but think about the returns you would make by buying the bear market then simply waiting for it to recover to baseline. I don't know how long the bear market will last but this is a great opportunity to deploy cash below an S and P 500 of 4100.

Converting large amounts of cash, gold, and silver into an S&P index fund won't look attractive to me until the S&P is below 3000. Yes, I'm serious. Stocks relative to GDP at a place they have never been before. It is wild that this is accepted as natural. They STILL have to drop 36% to revert back to the mean.

Until then I will continue to accumulate cash and metals.

It's amazing to me how many people forget history and are so eager to rush to "buy the dip" early on in a bear market with recession staring you right in the face. Over a decade of "stocks only go up" attitude where losses are recovered in weeks to months will do that to you I suppose.

2022-05-05-BI-3-Mkt-to-GDP.png

Actually, you did the statistically favorable thing to do (lump sum investing, LSI) which is to stay in the market for as long as possible. LSI outperforms dollar cost averaging about 66% of the time.

Boglehead silliness regarding blind lump sum investing. This is about as insightful as telling someone who is playing blackjack who Hit with a K,2 when the dealer was showing a 9 and drew a 10 and busted. Statistically, it may have been the correct thing to do. However, it was the wrong choice. In this case, waiting to lump sum invest now vs. back in October would have produced a far more favorable long term financial outcome. The difference between this and the blackjack example is that there is information you can use to inform your decision rather than just pure chance. Furthermore, in the stock market example, applying this logic violates the basic tenet of "past performance does not guarantee future performance," which is my #1 issue with the boglehead cult.

My advice to my fellow RadOncDoc, is to sit tight. If you have any gains in other stocks, sell a bit to tax loss harvest them and reinvest in SPY or something. You'll be ok in the long run as you have a fine income. (Assuming you bought a broad market index fund and not some Cathie Wood hot garbage -- it would still probably be worth selling that for a loss at any price).

... And don't even get me started on the housing market.

Sounds like you have it all figured out might as well start a hedge fund and stop ****ing around in medicine to go become the next Buffet.

Sounds like you have it all figured out might as well start a hedge fund and stop ****ing around in medicine to go become the next Buffet.

In general market expertise is inversely proportional to time in market. That’s why there is only one Buffett and not legions of them.

Converting large amounts of cash, gold, and silver into an S&P index fund won't look attractive to me until the S&P is below 3000. Yes, I'm serious. Stocks relative to GDP at a place they have never been before. It is wild that this is accepted as natural. They STILL have to drop 36% to revert back to the mean.

Until then I will continue to accumulate cash and metals.

It's amazing to me how many people forget history and are so eager to rush to "buy the dip" early on in a bear market with recession staring you right in the face. Over a decade of "stocks only go up" attitude where losses are recovered in weeks to months will do that to you I suppose.

2022-05-05-BI-3-Mkt-to-GDP.png

Boglehead silliness regarding blind lump sum investing. This is about as insightful as telling someone who is playing blackjack who Hit with a K,2 when the dealer was showing a 9 and drew a 10 and busted. Statistically, it may have been the correct thing to do. However, it was the wrong choice. In this case, waiting to lump sum invest now vs. back in October would have produced a far more favorable long term financial outcome. The difference between this and the blackjack example is that there is information you can use to inform your decision rather than just pure chance. Furthermore, in the stock market example, applying this logic violates the basic tenet of "past performance does not guarantee future performance," which is my #1 issue with the boglehead cult.

Yeah, except you’re doing this analysis in hindsight.

For investors who have found themselves inordinately spooked by the recent market volatility, it’s wise to use it as a wake-up call to make some changes, even if their portfolios’ equity exposures seem right on paper. After all, recent market losses are minor relative to the depth and duration of some previous market downturns. The S&P 500 lost half of its value in the bear market that began in March 2000, for example, and that bear market was a grinding one, lasting 31 months. The bear market that ensued during the great financial crisis was quite a bit shorter, just 17 months, but the losses were an even sharper 56%. In other words, if the recent market volatility has you spooked, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Morningstar.com

Reactions: 4 users

I don't know a lot, but this economic situation has been a stupidly easy call.

Just sold my QQQ puts for a 500% profit.

There will likely be a fierce bear market rally in the next few weeks followed by the plunge resuming. I'm less confident on gambling on a brief bear market rally that I am about being patient with the continued decline into a recession. Maybe. I will pick up another short position via puts if/when the DJIA bounces 1000 points again. I am kicking myself for not doing that when that happened last week when the fed RAISED RATES by 50 bps. Again, a stupidly easy call.

I don't know a lot, but this economic situation has been a stupidly easy call.

Just sold my QQQ puts for a 500% profit.

There will likely be a fierce bear market rally in the next few weeks followed by the plunge resuming. I'm less confident on gambling on a brief bear market rally that I am about being patient with the continued decline into a recession. Maybe. I will pick up another short position via puts if/when the DJIA bounces 1000 points again. I am kicking myself for not doing that when that happened last week when the fed RAISED RATES by 50 bps. Again, a stupidly easy call.
I'm guessing you haven't been investing seriously prior to Obamas second term.

Yeah, except you’re doing this analysis in hindsight.
That was my exact point regarding your comment that lump sum investing back in the fall was statistically the right thing to do. Those statistics are also based on analysis done in hindsight. The history of Japan's market is the common example given for this. That US stocks will go up and return 10% per year on average forever is not a fundamental law of nature. And you ignored my point about using information to make buy/sell decisions rather than just blind trading and analyzing the correctness in retrospect.

Oil stocks are down 7- 10 % and in high volumes. Will buy xom when it gets to less than 80. Another stock that has a good dividend is NRZ. Going to watch it. This is a treacherous market and trying to trick you into buying the dip only to fall further. I am going to wait till the selling subsides. This is oversold market and ripe for rally.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm guessing you haven't been investing seriously prior to Obamas second term.

I started investing in 2007 just prior to the market collapse. I lump summed all of my meager savings at that point into a variety of mutual funds and panic sold them in 2008 for a 30% loss that I deducted on my taxes for the next 7 or 8 years.

I am thankful that I learned that lesson so young and so early. It would suck to learn it now with so much more at stake.

I started investing in 2007 just prior to the market collapse. I lump summed all of my meager savings at that point into a variety of mutual funds and panic sold them in 2008 for a 30% loss that I deducted on my taxes for the next 7 or 8 years.

I am thankful that I learned that lesson so young and so early. It would suck to learn it now with so much more at stake.
So 2008 taught you that leveraged options are safer than lump sum investing? Or that the mad gains are better?

I started investing in 2007 just prior to the market collapse. I lump summed all of my meager savings at that point into a variety of mutual funds and panic sold them in 2008 for a 30% loss that I deducted on my taxes for the next 7 or 8 years. I am thankful that I learned that lesson so young and so early. It would suck to learn it now with so much more at stake.

The lesson should have been to stay invested for as long as possible (i.e., LSI). Not trying to be dense here, but that’s still the main takeaway, IMO. Good luck timing the market. Many before you and many after you have and will try to “use information” to try and do just that. To attribute any “extra” gains to skill rather than pure luck is a fool’s errand. To each its own.

Reactions: 1 users
My biggest regret of the past 10 years was not taking cash out when I refinanced 2 years ago. That 2.5% rate mortgage is looking mighty cheap right now.

leveraged options
Wat?
Options are leveraged by definition.

Buying long options is speculation. I admitted to that. It is risky. I agree with the above post that trying to short right now could result in getting burned badly and you need to be careful how you do it. Also nowhere did I say or imply that options trading is safer than lump sum investing. You are just making stuff up.

I take small positions when I do it. It is not long term investing. I sell cash covered put options as a long term investing strategy to acquires shares I am interested in holding long term.

This is what the boglehead cult does. They strawman the hell out of people who don't drink their kool-aid. Nothing I have posted above is unreasonable. I find it absolutely hilarious that a large number of cult members got burned by passively investing in 3X leveraged bond and stock funds (the so-called HFEA strategy) because they simply applied their faulty logic of "backtesting" (ie, past performance suggests future performance).

I flat out disagree with the suggestion that lump sum investing is always the correct thing to do regardless of market valuations and economic conditions. I am not alone in this.

Wat?
Options are leveraged by definition.

Buying long options is speculation. I admitted to that. It is risky. I agree with the above post that trying to short right now could result in getting burned badly and you need to be careful how you do it. Also nowhere did I say or imply that options trading is safer than lump sum investing. You are just making stuff up.

I take small positions when I do it. It is not long term investing. I sell cash covered put options as a long term investing strategy to acquires shares I am interested in holding long term.

This is what the boglehead cult does. They strawman the hell out of people who don't drink their kool-aid. Nothing I have posted above is unreasonable. I find it absolutely hilarious that a large number of cult members got burned by passively investing in 3X leveraged bond and stock funds (the so-called HFEA strategy) because they simply applied their faulty logic of "backtesting" (ie, past performance suggests future performance).

I flat out disagree with the suggestion that lump sum investing is always the correct thing to do regardless of market valuations and economic conditions. I am not alone in this.
What is your position then? You trade options for fun, got it what is 95% of your money in? Cash on the sidelines to time the market? Is that why Bogle offennds you because they say you can't do it but you can with your qqq puts?

Stocks fell sharply Monday, pushing the S&P 500 to breach the 4,000 level for the first time in more than a year as the market sell-off continued.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 610 points, or 1.9%. The S&P 500 fell 3.1%, while the Nasdaq Composite lost 4.2%.

The S&P 500 traded as low as 3,988.23 on the day, dipping below the 4,000 mark for the first time since April 2021 and pulling back 17% from a 52-week high as traders struggled to bounce back from last week’s big market swings. All sectors except for consumer staples dipped into the red.

Amid the losses, the benchmark 10-year Treasury note yield hit its highest level since late 2018, trading well above 3%.

Stocks fell sharply Monday, pushing the S&P 500 to breach the 4,000 level for the first time in more than a year as the market sell-off continued.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 610 points, or 1.9%. The S&P 500 fell 3.1%, while the Nasdaq Composite lost 4.2%.

The S&P 500 traded as low as 3,988.23 on the day, dipping below the 4,000 mark for the first time since April 2021 and pulling back 17% from a 52-week high as traders struggled to bounce back from last week’s big market swings. All sectors except for consumer staples dipped into the red.

Amid the losses, the benchmark 10-year Treasury note yield hit its highest level since late 2018, trading well above 3%.
Blood bath today. Time to start buying again tomorrow.

“Equity and Crypto markets are selling off across the board due to a broad shift from risk-off to heavy risk-selling,” said Steven McClurg, chief investment officer at Valkyrie Investments.

“The correlation between the two asset classes has grown more pronounced in recent months due to the number of publicly traded companies involved in blockchain and digital assets, and we are likely to see these markets move largely in lockstep for at least some time,” McClurg continued.

Additionally, bitcoin currently has no counter-trend signals but the equity market looks poised to rebound this week, which could carry over to cryptocurrencies, according to Fairlead Strategies founder Katie Stockton

What is your position then? You trade options for fun, got it what is 95% of your money in? Cash on the sidelines to time the market? Is that why Bogle offennds you because they say you can't do it but you can with your qqq puts?
I already stated this, but I went all cash at the end of last year. Briefly moved about 1/3 back in and caught about half the March rally, and have been cash since.

I took positions in GLD, SLV, and GDX last week and added to them today. This is about 10% of my portfolio and my only holdings right now. ~5% is cash secured for puts sold on these 3 positions near the money (which I also added to today), and the rest is in cash. I will probably move a decent amount of this into T-bills.

I will probably continue to add to these 3 positions until I get to around 30% or so or until the S&P becomes attractive enough to lump sum invest. In general, I agree with the prevailing sentiment. My goal is to establish a large position in broad market index funds for long term holding that I periodically add to. I have ended up in this weird situation because of the time period when I became an attending, my low cost of living and high savings rate, and cashing out of my house and being forced to rent due to the market leaving me with a large amount of post-tax liquidity. What I don't agree with is that I should just take all this and pinch my nose and buy a bunch of VTI and never look at it again. If I had done that I would be in the situation my colleague is in (which will probably be fine long term, but if we are talking about holding for 30 years something that will have dividends re-invested, it is a big deal due to the nature of compounding if you can be patient and acquire many more shares for the same amount of money by waiting another year or so for the market to correct so that valuations are in better in line with GDP.

Speculative puts and calls are <1% of my portfolio.

Tax-advantaged accounts are invested in the lowest cost index funds available and are not touched.

Bogleheads offends me because
(1) they are annoying and repeat one-liners rather than engaging in conversation about markets (Hey guys, I see you are having a conversation here, I just wanted to interject to quickly comment that I literally don't care about any of this because I am so smart because I just "VTSAX and chill"),
(2) their premise is fundamentally flawed as it is based on past performance predicting future performance
(3) they not only criticize but actively mock people who choose to be conservative with their money including (for instance those who save in cash and CDs), and
(4) the moderation on their forums is extreme, biased, and conversation is directed/coaxed by these moderators who appear to have no life or discernable personality to qualify as a human (count me among the many who have been banned for something trivial).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users