Quantcast

Texas A&M (TAMU) c/o 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vombatidae

TAMU c/o 2022!
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello,

I have spent a great deal of time learning more about the VMCAS application process from SDN. I recently began my TAMU app and it is similar to VMCAS, however, it has its own struggles. Has anyone started an application for Texas A&M?

Great Butts

eater of souls
Reaction score
If you guys have any questions about TMDSAS, the application process, or the MMI, I'm happy to help!

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, man! Exciting times...y'all will be starting the year that I graduate! How crazy! I'm a bit removed from the application process, but I'm happy to answer questions about the school, town, etc. The curriculum is changing once c/o 2021 begins and I know there's going to be some changes, but I can still try to answer about the curriculum the best I can. I've had a great time here and just two weeks into clinics and I'm already feeling really confident in my ability in performing exams, talking to clients, coming up with diagnostic and therapeutic plans, etc. :)

May you all become future Aggie vets!

Reactions: 1 user

Devastating

:ok_hand: 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying this year :) Although it's my IS and this will be my 3rd attempt at vet school admissions, it'll be my first time applying to A&M specifically (I was missing too many science prereqs before, but they did away with Biochem II last year I think? So now I only need physics II/Ochem II). I've never seen the TMDSAS before and should probably get on that...

A&M recently announced an agreement with the school I currently attend (up to 5 seats/class reserved for admitted applicants from here), so I'm pretty excited about that possibility! I got to see the small and large animal teaching hospitals on a field trip last fall, absolutely loved the LA facility.

The curriculum is changing once c/o 2021 begins and I know there's going to be some changes, but I can still try to answer about the curriculum the best I can.
Do you know the general ways it's changing?

Great Butts

eater of souls
Reaction score
Here's the e-mail that they sent to our class about the new curriculum changes!

Attachments

• TAMU 2021 Curriculum.pdf
    641.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Coopah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the e-mail that they sent to our class about the new curriculum changes!
It kinda sounds like they're moving toward UC Davis-like program where they're trying to interrelate courses together to reinforce the concepts. Sounds like a great curriculum! I wish all applicants the best of luck!

Great Butts

eater of souls
Reaction score
It kinda sounds like they're moving toward UC Davis-like program where they're trying to interrelate courses together to reinforce the concepts. Sounds like a great curriculum! I wish all applicants the best of luck!
Yeah, they're definitely going towards a curriculum that works together more completely. They actually used the same person that designed UGA's curriculum to design this new one!

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the changes are really going to benefits students a lot. The only big downside I can see is that the upperclassman (and this is mainly an issue for c/o 2021 and maybe 2022) won't be able to help as much with content and exam prep and such, since there are some pretty big changes. But overall I think it'll be a move in the right direction!

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the changes are really going to benefits students a lot. The only big downside I can see is that the upperclassman (and this is mainly an issue for c/o 2021 and maybe 2022) won't be able to help as much with content and exam prep and such, since there are some pretty big changes. But overall I think it'll be a move in the right direction!
I think it is sometimes a good thing that the students have to forge it on their own. Teaches self reliance much earlier, which in my mind, means self confidence is reached sooner with a job well done. :)

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not acclimated to such culture, which is one of the reasons I have given up my seat :p
I'm not applying to tamu, just thread stalking because I'm bored and there were no new posts on threads I DO frequent. Saw that and laughed :rofl:
I obviously am not acclimated to that culture either

Ilovedogs1217

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so this is my first time applying and i am on TMDSAS. I am unsure of what to put veterinary experience. I have worked at a vet clinic for 2 years now and i know that things that were supervised by a vet are what go in that category but i don't know how to list it or how specific to be? For the activity name am I putting something such as "vaccinating a dog" or just something more general like "vet assistant"???? Sorry if this is a dumb question but i want to be sure im filling it out correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)

Devastating

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the "deadline" for completing prerequisites to be eligible for the current application cycle? e.g. if I am missing Ochem II and Physics II, would I have to complete those by fall 2017, spring 2018, etc.? Sent an email through the website and got an auto-reply saying that delivery is delayed.

Also, where do we direct emails inquiring about course eligibility?
On TAMU's list of eligible prerequisites from TX universities, the one for my school lists course numbers for physics that don't exist, even in previous catalog years (that list was last updated in 2013 and I took my phys class/lab in 2014).

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't answer your first question...I think you can only have 2 or 3 prereqs left in the Spring semester, but I could be totally off base. It's easier to just call about those kinds of things. They'll give you the best e-mail address to contact, too. Unless someone who's applied for recently can offer up some advice.

Devastating

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally got a hold of admissions today and for anyone who needs to know, I was told the deadline for prereq completion is Spring 2018!

Unfortunately didn't get a straight answer on inquiring course eligibility (was told I'd have to ask my advisor) so I may have to check back on that. Has anyone ever applied here with an online/distance learning science credit?

Last edited:

downey65

UMN c/o 2022!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they require a 300 level stats course? And if they take courses from community colleges? I thought I was getting ahead of the game by taking a pre-req for undergrad by doing a summer community college course but I guess not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they require a 300 level stats course? And if they take courses from community colleges? I thought I was getting ahead of the game by taking a pre-req for undergrad by doing a summer community college course but I guess not!

Since Statistics can only be taken at a 4-year institution, it likely has to be a 300-level course. And yes, you can take courses at a community college so long as they aren't the "4-year institution only" courses which are statistics, biochemistry, and genetics. I don't know if there are others or not.

texas26

Reaction score
This seems like the right place to ask. I'm finishing up my supplemental application and going through the essay. It asks for a thorough explanation of grade problems. There's not a lot to explain. 2 mediocre semesters, 1 decent summer, 2 semesters of straight zeroes. That was 2009-2011. I was immature and a crap student. I restarted school in 2013 and have been killing it since.

So far I've got this for my "essay":

"My last poor semester was in Spring 2011. There were a number of factors that contributed to my poor performance – a lack of direction, my parents going through a rough divorce, and clinically diagnosed depression – but what those grades reflect is not the circumstances, but a lack of maturity. I was a mediocre student who crumbled in the face of adversity.

I have dealt with similarly difficult situations since “restarting” school in 2013. The difference is that I have earned a 3.92 across the 97 semester hours that I have taken. I have learned from my mistakes, addressed my shortcomings, and grown as both a student and an individual through the process. The grades from 6 years ago do not reflect who I am as a student today, nor do they reflect who I will be as a veterinary student."

Does that work? Is that too short? Should I play up the "poor me" aspect more? Should I explain what difficult circumstances I have faced since then or mention work?

Thanks for the help!

Vombatidae

TAMU c/o 2022!
Reaction score
I just wanted to post to see if anyone has heard anything - perspective or current students - as to dates or interviews. Perhaps it is because TAMU is not part of VMCAS, however, I feel like every school is commented on frequently other than TAMU. Any info would be appreciated!

Tobyandtherats

Reaction score
IS applicant here. Looks like no one has posted here for a while. I recently received snail mail confirming that my pre reqs are fulfilled. Has anyone been rejected or accepted yet? Does anyone know if they will call, email, or snail mail the decisions? Thanks!

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If things go as they have in past years, you should hear about interview invites within the next few weeks, likely the week leading up to Christmas. Interviews are always the weekend prior to spring classes starting, so they should be 1/5 and 1/6.

I'm sure this thread will pick back up a bit once interview invites have gone out. :)

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If things go as they have in past years, you should hear about interview invites within the next few weeks, likely the week leading up to Christmas. Interviews are always the weekend prior to spring classes starting, so they should be 1/5 and 1/6.
Jeez that's such a short time for planning travel!!

Good luck to everyone who applied to TAMU!

I'm currently just lurking on different threads :laugh:

OwlSee2907

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter saying invites for interviews were going to be sent out Dec 22 and interviews would be held Jan 5 &6. Hope that helps! Im an IS applicant :)

Swervius

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the interview alternate a new thing for this year? Does anyone have any info of how many people decline interview invites?

Last edited:

veterinaryhopeful9

Reaction score
IS interview invite! I will see y'all down in CStat January 5th! Cannot wait to meet some of y'all!

puppers4life

Texas A&M c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone having any problems accessing the site to confirm their interview? Whenever I try to log on, an error pops up to contact web support.

Reaction score
Is anyone having any problems accessing the site to confirm their interview? Whenever I try to log on, an error pops up to contact web support.

Yeah I'm having the same problem I think the site may have crashed from the number of people responding

OwlSee2907

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having issues as well and just contacted web support. I'll let you know if they say anything.

RedLauren

CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

Last edited:

dract

TAMU CVM c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay! Got an IS interview. Having issues with portal - I am planning on calling the office tomorrow if it isn't fixed around noon.

dract

TAMU CVM c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the interview alternate a new thing for this year? Does anyone have any info of how many people decline interview invites?

I believe this is new this year unless it was just a coincidence that no one posting on previous TAMU SDN threads was not an alternate. I can't remember anyone saying they were an alternate in previous years.

aggievethopeful2021

Class of 2021!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on everyone who got interviews!! I currently am a first year there, so if anyone has any questions then feel free to message me!

Swervius

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this is new this year unless it was just a coincidence that no one posting on previous TAMU SDN threads was not an alternate. I can't remember anyone saying they were an alternate in previous years.
Aw man, that's what I thought. Back I go to the waiting game I guess.:shrug:

dract

TAMU CVM c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview portal is now working! I was able to confirm just now (9:15am)

Tobyandtherats

Reaction score
Apparently I missed my interview invite email yesterday, somehow. Probably because it says it's from "Software Programs". IS Jan 5!!! So excited. Everyone else planning on doing a tour and going to the dinner?

OwlSee2907

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently I missed my interview invite email yesterday, somehow. Probably because it says it's from "Software Programs". IS Jan 5!!! So excited. Everyone else planning on doing a tour and going to the dinner?
I am planning on doing a morning tour (since my interview is in the afternoon) and going to the dinner-- all on Jan 5th. Good luck guys!!! Enjoy your Holidays :)

Vombatidae

TAMU c/o 2022!
Reaction score
Good luck at interviews today! I interview tomorrow and would love to hear how it went for those of you going today. :)

TravelBugV

Reaction score
I had my interview today! Definitely nerve wracking, but I’ve never been through an MMI before. I noticed I loosened up a bit as we continued. I actually like the format!!

dract

TAMU CVM c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MMI went well I think!

Now nothing to do but wait! I do wish I knew how many interviewed/how many apps/how many get into the program (more recently than 2015 which is on the website).

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last class was 140, I believe. I know there's talks of slowly increasing that, but not sure if it'll be around 140 again this year or if it'll be increased. For 130 spots, they usually interviewed right around 200 applicants. So, I'm guessing they've probably bumped up the amount interviewed. A new thing they did this year was alternates for interviews. Not sure how that plays into the whole picture, but thought it was an interesting change.

Vombatidae

TAMU c/o 2022!
Reaction score
Like most of you, I thought that it went well. I was surprised how "at ease" I felt with two fairly emotionless people staring at you. :)

aggievethopeful2021

Class of 2021!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So glad everyone thought the interviews went well! I’m a current first year, so if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me.

We haven’t heard anything about any increases in class size, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they increased it by at least a few for the class of 2022. We had 142 people in our class. We did ask if they would put our class statistics up on the webpage (we don’t even know them and we’re curious), and they said they have them and will try to do so. Not sure if they actually will or not.

Tobyandtherats

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a downer, but I don't think my interviews went well o_O. Just wanted to throw that out there in case there are others who feel that way too. You're not alone (but maybe I am?:oops:). I think I'm just not very good at being put on the spot. I keep thinking of things I could have/should have said, which of course is useless now. The interviewers were very nice though and I really enjoyed just chatting with them after the official interview portion was over. Now the waiting begins!!:cat:

puppers4life

Texas A&M c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a downer, but I don't think my interviews went well o_O. Just wanted to throw that out there in case there are others who feel that way too. You're not alone (but maybe I am?:oops:). I think I'm just not very good at being put on the spot. I keep thinking of things I could have/should have said, which of course is useless now. The interviewers were very nice though and I really enjoyed just chatting with them after the official interview portion was over. Now the waiting begins!!:cat:
You are not alone!! I've been having mild panic attacks since Friday (when I interviewed) thinking about all the things I should have done differently. Let the waiting begin!!

VetGirl2022

TAMU CVM C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are absolutely not alone! I feel like I may have fell flat on my face lol, but then again I've talked to current students who felt the same way and were accepted. This is my top school, so I'm just trying to remain hopeful until March. Good luck to you all and happy waiting!