This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, terribly nervous to get this all down in writing, but would really appreciate insight and advice.
Ugrad: UC (took 5 years)
Major: Architecture (and Pre-Med)
GPA: 2.6 (with plenty D's and a few F's in there, lots of re-taken courses)
Post-grad GPA: 4.0 (not many units, classes taken after work and on-line through university program, won't have much effect on GPA, but hoping it'll show my interest in continuing education and an upward trend of some sorts)
GRE: TBD (first practice test 158 on V&Q, hoping for >160 after lots of practice, plan to take early May)
Experience (from the last 5 years):
- Tutor for two students who have combination of autism and learning disabilities (1 year)
- Health Educator for Peer Health Exchange: taught health education workshops in schools lacking health education programs (2 years)
- Volunteer and Clinical Coordinator for on-campus club providing medical clinics, and health and nutrition education to rural Guatemala (2 years)
- Research Assistant for nutrition lab, conducting live-participant study to research novel zinc biomarkers in human body; Funded by HarvestPlus in development of zinc-fortified rice (1 Year)
- Office manager assistant for psychiatry clinic (6 mos)
- Full-time Clinical Trials Research Coordinator and Data Manager for a NCI-designated oncology clinical trials program. I work with cancer patients to find them clinical trials that they may be eligible for, work to enroll them, and manage all of their data. By the time I apply, I will have been here for just about two years. I feel this may be my biggest asset to my resume as some of my biggest interests are in cancer epidemiology and social/behavioral aspects of cancer etiology.

My GPA: My biggest opstacle -- lots of indecision about my major. Attempted to double in molecular cell biology and architecture in an attempt to fulfill my desire to obtain a "truer" liberal arts education, one that could encompass science, math, technology, history, art, and philosophy (isn't that how it always is? Come into undergrad wide-eyed, come out completely jaded :p). Became completely overwhelmed by the polar opposite coursework between the two majors and the hours needed to do well in both. Struggled with some illness that resulted in one outstandingly terrible semester. As a result, I became disengaged in my school work and put all my energy into my extracurriculars. However, long story short, from my work in my extracurriculars, found my passion was in public health, and worked to not only have a career in public health post-grad, but also to take public health course work post-grad (epidemiology, biology of cancer, health advocacy, nutrition).

Advice I would really appreciate: What are some things I can do between now (March 2015) and the application cycle this upcoming fall that would improve my application (aside from the obvious, GRE and Recs)? Would finding a volunteering opportunity, or taking more post-grad courses be beneficial? Which should I prioritize?

I know what I want to study, but what are some careers that I can begin to explore? Program development? Epidemiologist? I find my current job to be extremely fulfilling and rewarding, but do yearn for something with more depth and exploration. Any direction would be extremely helpful.

And obviously, finally, what are my chances given poor GPA but public-health focused experience? I would love to go to a competitive program, and I know I can do well based on my work experience, and post-grad work, but how do I convince admissions committees?

Thank you so much for anyone who can give me any advice! Thanks for reading :)
When you repeat a course the most recent attempt will factor into GPA calculations so you might have a higher GPA than you believe. Do you have any idea what your overall GPA is figuring in your post-bacc courses and repeats? What programs/schools are you interested in?

I'd like to add that some programs will consider your performance in the last 90 credit hours or upper-division classes.

Members don't see this ad.

When you repeat a course the most recent attempt will factor into GPA calculations so you might have a higher GPA than you believe. Do you have any idea what your overall GPA is figuring in your post-bacc courses and repeats? What programs/schools are you interested in?

I'd like to add that some programs will consider your performance in the last 90 credit hours or upper-division classes.

Hi Vespasian, to be honest, I have no idea what my overall GPA would be factoring in repeats and post-bacc. I can't imagine too much higher though considering a lot of my repeat classes received a C, only one had a dramatic increase (F to A-). It was a 6-unit course, but again, haven't gone through the motion of calculating it myself. Will try to do so soon and update my post. Thanks for the info regarding GPA!

Some schools that I have researched that I am looking into include: Minnesota, Boston, UCLA, UT Houston, Emory, and Columbia. I would like to apply Epi for all except potentially Columbia (would consider applying SMS). Any thoughts?

Hi Vespasian, to be honest, I have no idea what my overall GPA would be factoring in repeats and post-bacc. I can't imagine too much higher though considering a lot of my repeat classes received a C, only one had a dramatic increase (F to A-). It was a 6-unit course, but again, haven't gone through the motion of calculating it myself. Will try to do so soon and update my post. Thanks for the info regarding GPA!

Some schools that I have researched that I am looking into include: Minnesota, Boston, UCLA, UT Houston, Emory, and Columbia. I would like to apply Epi for all except potentially Columbia (would consider applying SMS). Any thoughts?

I was able to calculate a pretty accurate (vs SOPHAS) GPA using the AMCAS GPA Calculator. You can Google it, or use this: http://honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls . Make sure you correct for repeated courses.

I would think passing some statistics/biostatistics classes and really crushing the GRE would help offset a lower GPA.

BTW, I think Emory and Columbia are fairly competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!

I'm really interested in getting my MPH and just want to see where I stand compare to my peers.

Here's some info about me:
I'm currently an undergrad at Oregon State University. I will graduate with B.S. in Public Health, emphasis in Health Promotion and Health Policy and B.A. in International Studies, emphasis in Chinese, and a minor in Business. I will be 23 year when I graduate.

GPA: 3.75-3.8 by the time I graduate
GRE: Haven't taken the official, but would love to know what scores I should aim for
Experience: Executive Council member of my sorority (Previously Philanthropy and Community Service Chair), Counseling and Psychological Services Advisory Board Member, Secretary of Public Health Club - Will be President next year, Peer Health Advocates for Student Health Services, Research in gun violence in video games and children (2 years), Volunteer at a local hospital in the Medical Administration Department, Volunteer as a mentor for K-12 female students (3 years), will have to do 6 month internship for Public health in order to graduate, most likely for the local city government or agency.

I'm open to all suggestions :) I'm kind of interested in Columbia, UCI, and UCLA

Hi everyone. I have been around the site for a while. I would love some input.
I have my first bachelor in 2004, chemical engineer. GPA was 2.96 (it was a long story...).
I returned to school in 2011, got my AAS in nursing, GPA 3.3, will graduate in May 2016.

Currently enroll in BSN at UVA, GPA 3.88.
I plan to apply for either MPH global health or MPH/MSN for summer or fall 2016.
I am studying for the GRE, hopefully for a really good score. My dream school is JHU, they have MSN-NP/MPH. May apply for GW too. I think for the dual degree programs, they don't use SOPPHA.
What do you think my chances are?
Anyone interested in the same programs?

Thank you

Hi! I have been reading all of the threads for acceptance/rejection/waiting for the entering class in 2015 and it is making me really excited to apply next year!

I am really worried that I don't have enough experience..a lot of strong applicants seem to have a few years of experience in a specific area of public health.

I am currently a microbiology undergraduate at UC Davis and my GPA is 3.76
I'm going to spend this summer cranking out studying for the GRE and hopefully do well on it!

My experience is as follows:

-4 months volunteer in an emergency room
-Certified as a nursing assistant (CNA - now expired) with clinical experience/education in a nursing home
-1 year math/science tutor at my community college
-3 months of an individual research project at a lab in Stanford University's School of Medicine
-6 months working on West Nile Virus surveillance (mostly lab work) at UC Davis Center for Vectorborne Diseases
-2 month public health internship with the local health department conducting an e-cigarette survey on college students
-3 months as a teacher's aide intern in a 7th grade life science's classroom
-Founding president of a math club at my community college
-President of a Women in Science and Engineering club at my community college

->currently trying to get another internship in an infectious disease ecology lab

Can anyone tell me what my chances are with the experience I have? I really want to get into a good program and I am worried I don't have enough experience because I am applying to continue on straight from undergrad to grad school instead of waiting and getting job experience.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I have been reading all of the threads for acceptance/rejection/waiting for the entering class in 2015 and it is making me really excited to apply next year!

I am really worried that I don't have enough experience..a lot of strong applicants seem to have a few years of experience in a specific area of public health.

I am currently a microbiology undergraduate at UC Davis and my GPA is 3.76
I'm going to spend this summer cranking out studying for the GRE and hopefully do well on it!

My experience is as follows:

-4 months volunteer in an emergency room
-Certified as a nursing assistant (CNA - now expired) with clinical experience/education in a nursing home
-1 year math/science tutor at my community college
-3 months of an individual research project at a lab in Stanford University's School of Medicine
-6 months working on West Nile Virus surveillance (mostly lab work) at UC Davis Center for Vectorborne Diseases
-2 month public health internship with the local health department conducting an e-cigarette survey on college students
-3 months as a teacher's aide intern in a 7th grade life science's classroom
-Founding president of a math club at my community college
-President of a Women in Science and Engineering club at my community college

->currently trying to get another internship in an infectious disease ecology lab

Can anyone tell me what my chances are with the experience I have? I really want to get into a good program and I am worried I don't have enough experience because I am applying to continue on straight from undergrad to grad school instead of waiting and getting job experience.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I did e-cig research as well!

I'd say you have a pretty good chance at top programs provided that you can sell yourself well in the personal statement, and if you have 3 trusted professors/mentors that know you well and like you. What program type are you applying for? For most masters programs all you'd need is GRE scores above the 50th percentile to be competitve since the rest of your qualifications look strong. If you're going for one of the few doctoral programs that will seriously consider undergrads without a masters, you'd need way higher GRE scores than 50th percentile, and some evidence of publication ability as well.

Regardless you do look like a pretty strong candidate!

Hi All,

I am hoping to apply to PhD programs in epi a year or so and just want to get a sense on what I need to work on. I apologize for the typos.. I am very sleepy... my candidate profile is below

Research Interest: Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Bioinformatics, Molecular Epid, Statistical Modeling
Schools: Yale, Columbia , Emory, Pitt, UCSF

MPH GPA 3.85 -- not at highly ranked school and in community health, completed full-time in two semester (needed to save money while working full-time), classes offered at time

4 years wet lab research -- aging and neuroscience research
2 years community health and reproductive health / clinical psychology research
health educator 1 year
mobile health app development
community health worker/ harm reduction 4 years
Chronic disease data analyst 3 years - chronic conditions intervention program for San Francisco Bay Area
Data Advisor for UCSF and UC Berkeley
Center for Medical and Medicare Service- Affordable Care Act Data Analyst 1 year
Project Assistant for HIV/AIDS transitional Care program
Intern to Chief Medical Officer - large public Hospital
2 years as pharmacy tech
Program Coordinator- Dept of Neurosurgery in GA currently
Research volunteer currently
No publications, but have attended, presented and been awarded at 12 different research conferences
Certificates in Public Health informatics, Data Sciences and SAS

I dont have a GRE score.. I need to make time to study for it. Will not having a publication hurt my chances of gaining acceptance to these programs?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am hoping to apply to PhD programs in epi a year or so and just want to get a sense on what I need to work on. I apologize for the typos.. I am very sleepy... my candidate profile is below

Research Interest: Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Bioinformatics, Molecular Epid, Statistical Modeling
Schools: Yale, Columbia , Emory, Pitt, UCSF

MPH GPA 3.85 -- not at highly ranked school and in community health, completed full-time in two semester (needed to save money while working full-time), classes offered at time

4 years wet lab research -- aging and neuroscience research
2 years community health and reproductive health / clinical psychology research
health educator 1 year
mobile health app development
community health worker/ harm reduction 4 years
Chronic disease data analyst 3 years - chronic conditions intervention program for San Francisco Bay Area
Data Advisor for UCSF and UC Berkeley
Center for Medical and Medicare Service- Affordable Care Act Data Analyst 1 year
Project Assistant for HIV/AIDS transitional Care program
Intern to Chief Medical Officer - large public Hospital
2 years as pharmacy tech
Program Coordinator- Dept of Neurosurgery in GA currently
Research volunteer currently
No publications, but have attended, presented and been awarded at 12 different research conferences
Certificates in Public Health informatics, Data Sciences and SAS

I dont have a GRE score.. I need to make time to study for it. Will not having a publication hurt my chances of gaining acceptance to these programs?

I wouldn't say 'hurt', but it would be a bit of a boost if you can. It sounds like you have a lot of research experience so that should more than offset it. If you can, have a LoR writers address your research experience, ex. you've participated in publication-quality research, just haven't had the opportunity to be on a manuscript.

For the GRE, shoot for at least 75% on both sections.

That being said, everything else about your profile looks like you'll have a great shot at all those schools.

Hi,
I am hoping to apply for MPH in the upcoming cycle (which means I would enter for the Fall of 2016). And since I recently decided in pursuing, I would like to know what are some "reach" schools and some target schools that I can apply to. I am currently a senior and graduating soon!
Undergrad: UC Berkeley (major in Molecular and Cell Biology)
GPA: 3.4/4
GRE: will take in the fall

Experience:
Clinical coordinator for a year for a student-run non-profit that provide free hep B vaccination and screening (and have been a member for 3 years)
Resident Assistant for the dorms for 2 years
Mentor and tutoring underserved elementary school kids in nearby school for 4 years (including a year of leadership position)
Research Assistant in a Neurolab for 2 years
Internship with Stanford Asian Liver Center that does education of hep B in SF community and working with youth (1 year)
and I will be interning with WHO in Manila after graduation for at least a summer (I am thinking of staying there for longer than the summer, possibility for a year)

My current concern is my GPA is not too high, and that my rec letter (two from professors, one of which would be co-signed by Robert Reich. the other one would either be from WHO or my Stanford Internship) are not that strong from the academia aspect.

Some schools I am looking at are : UCLA, Berkeley, Boston, Tulane, Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, George Washing, Emory, Yale, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Washington. What are my chances of getting into these schools? Also does the ranking matter much for MPH? As in would schools such as Brown, that is not in the ranking for MPH, be an equally great option too?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Hahahaha! You're going to be just fine. I dread the fact that I'm applying the same cycle as you. go bears!

Hi,
I am hoping to apply for MPH in the upcoming cycle (which means I would enter for the Fall of 2016). And since I recently decided in pursuing, I would like to know what are some "reach" schools and some target schools that I can apply to. I am currently a senior and graduating soon!
Undergrad: UC Berkeley (major in Molecular and Cell Biology)
GPA: 3.4/4
GRE: will take in the fall

Experience:
Clinical coordinator for a year for a student-run non-profit that provide free hep B vaccination and screening (and have been a member for 3 years)
Resident Assistant for the dorms for 2 years
Mentor and tutoring underserved elementary school kids in nearby school for 4 years (including a year of leadership position)
Research Assistant in a Neurolab for 2 years
Internship with Stanford Asian Liver Center that does education of hep B in SF community and working with youth (1 year)
and I will be interning with WHO in Manila after graduation for at least a summer (I am thinking of staying there for longer than the summer, possibility for a year)

My current concern is my GPA is not too high, and that my rec letter (two from professors, one of which would be co-signed by Robert Reich. the other one would either be from WHO or my Stanford Internship) are not that strong from the academia aspect.

Some schools I am looking at are : UCLA, Berkeley, Boston, Tulane, Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, George Washing, Emory, Yale, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Washington. What are my chances of getting into these schools? Also does the ranking matter much for MPH? As in would schools such as Brown, that is not in the ranking for MPH, be an equally great option too?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Hi All!
I am hoping to do a PhD in Epidemiology with a focus on infectious disease/microbiology and research. I am having a really hard time deciding if I should do my graduate studies in Epidemiology or Microbiology; nonetheless, I want to become an epidemiologist with a research focus. About me:
Undergraduate degree: Biochemistry B.S. cum laude (finished in 3 years, I am only 20- is this good or bad?)
GPA: 3.4
GRE: Will take in fall
Experience:
Researching sleep cycles and the impacts of microbiome on sleep using Drosophila as model. 2 publications done on this research.
Will be conducting research via grant in Ghana, Africa on Schistosomiasis this summer. Doing population studies, genetic testing, gene sequencing. 1 publication being worked on presently.
Working currently as LPN in Hospital for last 4 years; traveled to Guatemala working as LPN with coworkers for medical mission over winter break.
Great letters of rec as well

My goal is to get into directly a PhD program or Masters leading into PhD program (like at UMass). One letter is written by UMass alumni and is friends with Epidemiology dean. Other schools too would be Yale, Boston, Emroy, South Carolina. Would prefer schools in the Southeast, but will take any that accept me and match my microbe research interests! Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

Hi All!
I am hoping to do a PhD in Epidemiology with a focus on infectious disease/microbiology and research. I am having a really hard time deciding if I should do my graduate studies in Epidemiology or Microbiology; nonetheless, I want to become an epidemiologist with a research focus. About me:
Undergraduate degree: Biochemistry B.S. cum laude (finished in 3 years, I am only 20- is this good or bad?)
GPA: 3.4
GRE: Will take in fall
Experience:
Researching sleep cycles and the impacts of microbiome on sleep using Drosophila as model. 2 publications done on this research.
Will be conducting research via grant in Ghana, Africa on Schistosomiasis this summer. Doing population studies, genetic testing, gene sequencing. 1 publication being worked on presently.
Working currently as LPN in Hospital for last 4 years; traveled to Guatemala working as LPN with coworkers for medical mission over winter break.
Great letters of rec as well

My goal is to get into directly a PhD program or Masters leading into PhD program (like at UMass). One letter is written by UMass alumni and is friends with Epidemiology dean. Other schools too would be Yale, Boston, Emroy, South Carolina. Would prefer schools in the Southeast, but will take any that accept me and match my microbe research interests! Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

I think you have a chance with a record of two publications. Demonstrating a strong command of the epidemiologic literature will be key in your research statement since you're switching fields a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am an international applicant. have completed my medical schooling in india . i have scored 295 on revised GRE and have a GPA of 3.3. i want to pursue my studies in MPH epidemiology & biostatistics.. my gre scores are less. what are my chances of getting admission???????

please reply

Hi all!

Never thought I'd be posting on one of these but I just really need some advice right now, as I plan to apply to MPH programs this next cycle!
Any advice/input about my chances and areas to improve would greatly be appreciated.
I'm interested in Veterinary Public Health and Global Public Health Programs (plan on going to vet school after MPH)

Undergrad School: Large State school
Undergrad GPA: 3.319 cum
Major: Anthropology, Pre-Veterinary
GRE: V-160 Q-155 A-5.0 Taken 5/29/15 NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD RETAKE!!??
Experience:
- 2 years research experience in Veterinary Preventive Medicine (Public Health/Medical Anthro type research), funding through NSF REU (independent project and assisting other projects)
- 3 years work experience as a veterinary assistant
- Volunteering at local Spay/neuter clinic, 3 months
- Volunteering at a Veterinary ICU, 1 year
- Intern for 1 year at a Science Museum (animal care and education programming)
- 1 month study abroad to Ireland (Archaeology and History lol)
- Service trip through the Humane Society (Spay and Neuter/Vaccine services for a rural area of the US)
- Captain of A Cappella team and leadership roles in a cultural student organization, Pre-vet club, and an academic fraternity

Want to apply to (All Global Health-type programs):
Michigan, Ohio State, Virginia Tech , BU, Emory, UCLA, UC Berkley, Miami, Missouri, Minnesota, George Washington, South Florida, UIUC, Penn
Main Questions:
- I'm pre-veterinary so most of my experience is vet-based. I don't have traditional Public Health experience. Will this hurt me?
- Should I retake the GRE? I'm at about 84% in Verbal and 60% in Quant so I don't know if that safe enough or if I should try to increase my quant especially?

Thank you in advance!

-No, I don't think your lack of PH experience will hurt you.

-I suggest specifically at the programs you are interested to see how your GRE and GPA compare to students previously admitted. If you are unable to find that information you should eMail an admissions advisor and they will typically be able to provide those numbers. I believe your GRE score is competitive for most GH programs but places like Emory and UCLA are extremely competitive. I would also suggest skimming the most recent "Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted" thread to get an idea of what the GRE, GPA and EC's are for the most recent application cycle.

Hey everyone, before anything I've already looked through all of the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads for all years but I'm still having a hard time gauging my chances. My stats are:

• Undergrad: 3.52 GPA in political science at USC with quite a bit of "fluff" classes during my senior year(photography, guitar, music)
  • No health related work experience but I've been continuously employed for 10 years now including my years during undergrad.
  • Low GRE scores at 150(V) and 156(Q). I suppose my verbal score is what I'm most afraid of because based on the accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads, people with relatively higher scores seems to get rejected from lower tiered schools quite often. However, the USC MHA states that their 1st IQR and 3rd IQR for their verbal scores are between 149 and 156.
  • 4 years of military service(active duty). I've heard a military background can boost some points into my admission package but just how much are we talking about?

Can't comment on USC specifically, but my GRE's were nothing to call home about. Also, I spent time in the military. I think that my SOP is what really set me over the edge. You can see my stats and schools in the signature.

Also, have you tired the "what are my chances" thread?

Good luck!

I wasn't aware there was a separate thread besides the yearly accepted/waitlist/rejected threads. I'll go take a look.

Thanks!

Hi! I hope that someone in this thread can offer me some advice since you just went through the application process. I'm applying for Fall 2016, and am wondering when I should submit my SOPHAS application.

I will be retaking the GRE (date TBD, maybe late Aug/early Sept) so I'm wondering if it's better to submit my application as early as possible when SOPHAS opens in August with my old GRE score (and then send in my new GRE scores afterwards) or to wait until I retake the GRE to then submit the application as a whole. Which would you suggest and why?

Thank you and congratulations!!

Hi! I hope that someone in this thread can offer me some advice since you just went through the application process. I'm applying for Fall 2016, and am wondering when I should submit my SOPHAS application.

I will be retaking the GRE (date TBD, maybe late Aug/early Sept) so I'm wondering if it's better to submit my application as early as possible when SOPHAS opens in August with my old GRE score (and then send in my new GRE scores afterwards) or to wait until I retake the GRE to then submit the application as a whole. Which would you suggest and why?

Thank you and congratulations!!

I would suggest contacting the programs you are interested in and asking if they're okay with you submitting without GRE scores. I ended up starting the verification process with SOPHAS before I took the GRE so I imagine you should be okay not listing your old GRE score, listing your future GRE test date and starting verification with SOPHAS, and then submitting the new score after you take it.

Hello, I know this isn't exactly the norm as I'm not exactly looking for my chances right now (which I know are low), but I'd like to know what I can do in the future to make myself a more competitive candidate?

Ugrad: UW-Madison (in 2011)
Major: Anthropology (Primatology and Medical Anthropology)
GPA: 3.1
Post-grad GPA: 4.0 (only taken a Statistics course in 2013, but got an A in it. I'm looking to taking a class on GIS and a Biology with lab course (I didn't take it in undergrad) along with an Algebra class to bulk up for the GRE as I really, really struggle in math outside of stats.)

Experience (from the last 5 years):
- Working in health insurance; providing resources to lower-income individuals, working with commercial, individual, and Medicare/Medicaid individuals (2.5 years so far, still working full-time)
- Sexual assault crisis advocate (a volunteer position from August 2013-March 2015; I moved out of state)
- Student research assistant in a neuropsych lab (6 months)

GRE: I took this in 2011 and I plan on retaking. When I did, my scores were 630V, 500Q, and I believe I had a 5.0AW.

Goal Schools: University of Illinois-Chicago is my top choice, but I'm also looking at Benedictine University and possibly open to Northwestern as well. I need to stay in the Chicago area, as I have roots down here and my fiance has a job here. If I stay with my employer, I'll be able to get tuition reimbursement of $5000 per year as I know they also hire epidemiologists.

What kinds of volunteer positions should I be looking into? Are there any classes I should specifically be looking to take to bump my GPA up? Would it be best to go into the UIC certificate program first and then try and apply to the full MPH program? Ideally, when I graduate, I'd like to work on geographic epidemiology or working on HIV/AIDS-related epidemiology jobs for the city of Chicago. Thank you very much for any advice or tips!

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-9_9-21-24.png
    upload_2015-7-9_9-21-24.png
    95 bytes · Views: 105
  • upload_2015-7-9_9-21-24.png
    upload_2015-7-9_9-21-24.png
    95 bytes · Views: 64
From what I've gathered during my research, schools generally want you to score in the 50% tile on the GRE with your verbal and quantitative scores combined. You hit spot on! And you seem to have done well in undergrad, so I wouldn't be too concerned about your test scores.

Solid GPA, bench research, clinical research, TAing, leadership, volunteering, etc. I haven't taken the GRE yet. I don't take biostats until the fall and I'm applying to public health school before the fall semester ends. Will no biostats experience stop me from getting into top MPH/epi programs?

Will no biostats experience stop me from getting into top MPH/epi programs?

No. If you have a solid GPA, do well on the GRE, and have strong LORs/SoP your lack of biostats experience will matter very little (if any). Do you have any stats coursework?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have any stats work either. I won't be doing any of this until the Fall. I'm interested in epi in the first place because this summer I realized during my clinical research that learning statistical analysis and study design is a must for my career goals. I'm specifically interested in the MPH rather than a traditional MS program because I want a broad public health education along with this epi training. Can I explain this lack of experience in the application?

Can I explain this lack of experience in the application?

My suggestion: unless a program specifically asks you to detail a lack of PH/epi/stats training I wouldn't address the lack of experience, or at least not in depth. I would focus more on detailing why you are interested and what experiences have made you interested in the field. The program I'm matriculating into suggested undergrad calculus, I haven't taken any calc courses and didn't mention it in my application.

Take my advice with a grain of salt- I didn't apply/matriculate into any of the top tier schools (#16). However, I received very positive feedback from interviewers/programs regarding my SoP. I concentrated on my early exposure to epi., subsequent lifelong interest and experiences which made me a good fit for the programs I was interested in.

Hopefully someone who attended/is attending the caliber program you are interested in can offer more accurate and topical advice.

I don't have any stats work either. I won't be doing any of this until the Fall. I'm interested in epi in the first place because this summer I realized during my clinical research that learning statistical analysis and study design is a must for my career goals. I'm specifically interested in the MPH rather than a traditional MS program because I want a broad public health education along with this epi training. Can I explain this lack of experience in the application?

I think just saying what you're saying here is a good enough rationale for why you want epi training and to get a MPH.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm overthinking this.

Undergrad: UCLA
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.27
GRE: V: 158 Q:158 A:4.0. I'm retaking it at the end of September
Experience: I having been working as an administrative assistant/compliance officer for a hospital for the last two years. I am in charge of the financial and health policy related issues for my department. I also volunteer for the American Heart Association and Multiple Sclerosis Association of America as a social media advocate. I helped establish a mental health related organization when I was in college and continue to serve as an alumni adviser. I'm not sure if these are relevant experiences for applying to an MPH program or not...I also don't have any clinical experience...
LOR: I have one letter from my current manager and 3 of my previous professors have agreed to write a letter for me. Two of them were my psychology course professors (I know one will be a very strong letter, I'm not 100% sure what the other professor will say.) The professor for my writing course also agreed to write a letter for me.

What are my chances? I'm thinking about applying to UC Davis, UC Irvine, Oregon State University, University of Cincinnati, San Diego State University, and USC right now. I want to apply for UCLA but that I feel like that is a long shot. I'm interested in either health policy or environmental health. Are there any other schools or programs that your would suggest I look into also?

Last edited:
Major: Genetics with a minor in Anthropology (University of Kansas)
GPA: 3.28 (O chem hurt me)
GRE: V: 154 Q: 156 A: 4.0 (I am taking it again on October 3rd, what should I shoot for? I am confident I can improve all scores)
Experience:
3 Consecutive Semesters as a TA for Undergraduate Microbiology labs (I taught, graded practical, prepared bacterial cultures, and wrote online quizzes). I have some student evaluations I thought I could use somewhere in my application.
A Semester of shadowing at our local hospital my senior year in HS (1 month each in the laboratory, pharmacy, health information and nursing departments as well as volunteer work)
I just started working with one of my professors on some mathematical modelling in the transmission of malaria (Right now I am just teaching myself the basics of modelling) I also won best research presentation in two of my research intensive anthropology courses.
I have a few related courses: I received an A in Biostats, Global Health, Medical Entomology and Evolution of Human Disease (a very interesting Anth course)
This isn't really health related, but I was in the marching band and basketball pep band all 4 years, and served as Webmaster for the band service organization.
LORs: One from the director of Undergraduate Microbiology Labs whom I was a TA for, One from my stats professor who I also just started doing research with, and One from my global health professor in the Anthropology department.

What are my chances? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I am a little worried about my average stats and my lack of public-health specific experience. I have been really interested in Epidemiology for a very long time, but unfortunately Kansas does not offer much in the way of Public Health. There were no Epi or Public Health courses, but I still tried to take courses which I thought were related. Our med school (in Kansas City) just became a part of SOPHAS, but the program is very small and focused on chronic disease and lifestyles. I am really interested in infectious disease epidemiology as well as disaster response. Two of the programs I am really interested in are the joint degree in Biosecurity & Disaster Preparedness and Epidemiology at St. Louis University and the Global Communicable Disease and Disaster Management/Humanitarian Relief Degree at South Florida. I was also going to apply to some regular EPI programs nearby (Colorado/Oklahoma/Iowa). Would you recommend any other programs? Would I even have a shot at somewhere like Emory if I improved my GRE scores (not that I could afford it, haha)?

Current stats:
Undergrad school: Small liberal arts school in Texas
Undergrad program: Public Relations/ Advertising with a minor in Business Administration
GPA: 3.7/ overall, 3.8 for my major, and 3.8 for my minor I've been searching this website practically all night and I decided that why not take a chance and ask a question.
GRE: Scheduled for October.
Experience: LOL. Seriously though, I'm an 3 year RA, tutor, and wrote for the campus newspaper. I interned a children's museum in their marketing and designing company.

Ultimately, I want to work for a children's hospital. I have a lot of experience in customer service and during my undergraduate, I worked in everything: IT, marketing, housing, customer service, ect. I won't go into why I want to get my MHA, but it deals a lot with hospital communication and how patients perceive medical companies (I lost my grandmother during my undergrad to cancer and that was the most eye opening experience ever. She's a huge reason why)

I'm seriously interested in MHA at University of Washington. Even though UW is my first choice, I'm looking at:
Georgia State
University of Florida
University of Oklahoma
However, I'm a completely terrified about a multitude of things:

1. The obvious: Am I even qualified for this program?
2. And the common: What are my chances of even being reviewed?

Hello everyone,

You are all probably sick of hearing this, but can you chance me real quick?

I graduated from a top liberal arts college with a gpa of 2.8 (painful, I know but with a strong upwards trend the last two years). I was a double major and minor. I had some family issues going on and I can explain my low gpa to a degree. I'm taking the GRE in a couple weeks and expect to do strongly. I also expect to have strong LORs and personal statement.
Health Experience: 1 year working in mental health in a clinical background (2 yrs by enrollment). Semester consultant on a community health program for an undeserved community, fitness volunteer in another undeserved community, junior board member of a childrens' health org.
Other experience: International internships in Africa and Middle East (each semester long), and senate campaign for two years...also I worked almost fulltime all of college in retail.

My dream school is UMichigan. I'm applying to Emory, GW, BU, Tulane, UNC, NYU, WashU and CUNY Hunter...all health management/policy track. Not sure if it matters but I'm also recent-ish immigrant/ (now citizen)/urm and first gen college student.

.....what do you guys think? Is there hope?

Is anyone applying to a PhD and an MS at the same school at the same time? Is that ok to do?

I'm an international applicant. Finished my Bachelors in dental surgery in 2014
Applying for spring 2016

GPA-3.56
GRE- Q-155 V-156 AWA-4.5
IELTS-8
Work experience - volunteered at a dental clinic for 8 months. Had done an ICMR project

Applied to
IUPUI- Indianapolis
RUTGERS school of public health - New jersey
LOMA LINDA school of public health - Lomalinda california
Georgia State University-Atlanta
University of North Texas- Fortworth

Major- Epidemiology

What are my chances ?

Undergrad: Community college for 2 years, associates degree, transferred credits to:
The College of New Jersey (Small, competitive lib arts college, formerly Trenton State College)
Major: Psychology, Minor in Public Health
GPA: 3.75
GRE: Haven't taken it yet. Math anxiety. No problem with verbal. Practice Test was Q:149, V:159, AWA 3.5
Experience: *I am in the Sexual and Reproductive Health lab at my ugrad, (Research based Psychology course). One semester (and will be in it again next semester) This class has done research about young adult perceived sexual risk, and menstrual health. (I'm also in a less impressive soph/junior Psych class in which I am currently designing my own study regarding how people react to health disparities. Not sure whether to include this or not)
*320 hour/6 month internship at a hospital, in a treatment unit for eating disorders. Close interaction with patients, very involved. Received course credit for this.
*I have a leadership position in a club, Voices for Planned Parenthood. I'm the event chair. Plan campus wide events to educate students about the services available to them (we have a PP on our campus), defend the organization during a time of great scrutiny/smear campaign, clinic escorting, sex education, etc.

LOR: One Psychology prof who focuses in health psych will write a LOR for me. I have her for two classes, both research based classes in health psychology.
Two Psychology professors that I have not done research with.
One very strong letter from a community college professor who I have kept in touch with.

Applying to: Arcadia University (MPH), Temple (Public Health/Social and Behavioral Science, MPH), Emory (BSHE), UNC Chapel Hill (Health Behavior).
These are in order from "I'll probably be accepted", 'I have a fighting chance', 'I might get in if lightning strikes', and 'Hey, worth a shot'

What are my chances? Am I aiming too high with Emory and UNC? Emory is the goal (Which is why I'm trying to improve my GRE score), but Temple would also be nice! I'm not expecting to be accepted to UNC but who knows.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone. This is absolutely terrifying, but here goes!

Undergrad: Big 10 School (in top 15 schools in US)
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.89
GRE: Scheduled for October 16. First ETS practice test (last month) was V168, Q158. Working to get that quant score up.
Experience: *2+ years as lab manager of a child psychology lab that studies children's social cognitive development (i.e., how they think about group membership, intergroup relations and real-world social categories like race, gender, SES, etc.), lab located at a top-5 university
*1 year as lab manager in undergrad for social psych lab studying body image, sexuality and the media
*1.5 years as research assistant in an infant cognition lab
*10-month internship at a crisis hotline for runaway and homeless youth, worked directly w/ clients on phone and over email and worked with an evidence-based runaway prevention curriculum entering performance and satisfaction data
*2-month internship at a national non-profit dedicated to mental health advocacy on college campuses
*Helped found a chapter of the org mentioned above on my college campus, served on its executive board (including as president) for three years
*Spearheaded campaign to get mental health programming included in my alma mater's freshman orientation programming, succeeded & helped develop programming
Other: *First-author on poster presentation for project examining kids' expectations about a gender pay gap
*First generation college graduate

LOR: Professor in undergrad (also was head of the body image & sex lab), call center supervisor at runaway hotline, current boss

I really, really want to go to Berkeley's Health and Social Behavior program. As of now, that's the only place I'm applying because its emphasis on social/cultural determinants of health and program development and evaluation is the sweet spot between theory and application for me. Does anyone have any recommendations in a similar vein?

I am currently a senior at university.

I have a major in Psych and a minor in Health Systems Management, (hospital management) and was planning on working in a hospital either during or before graduate school.

I want to just gauge my options here because I know for a fact that my GPA isn't the strongest. I'd just like feedback on if I should focus on working out of college and then applying to clinical programs after? Personal problems freshman year and then I was Pre-med before doing my Psych major which didn't help my GPA at all. Lots of C-'s, C's, and B's, until Chem destroyed my sophomore year GPA. Switched to Psych and HSM and I've been on an upward trend since, but it's not a competitive GPA.

2.781 cum
3.3 for my last three consecutive semesters (so minus freshman and one semester of sophomore year)
3.67 minor GPA (all A-'s)
3.01 major GPA

I am expecting all A's/A-'s this semester. 12 credit hours.

I have two years of research experience where I have worked in the same lab in visual cognition with an amazing professor who would be willing to write a letter of rec. I am also doing research with a professor this summer in anger in children from hostile areas, along with being proficient in SPSS and doing an internship that focuses on research eliminating neonatal fetal alcohol syndrome.

GRE scores are 154V, 149Q. Waiting on AWA. Looking to do a retake, think it is possible to get up to 160V and 152ishQ.

My writing skills are amazing, as are interview skills.

I am looking to work for a year/two before applying to programs, but I was also wondering if I could get into an MPH program now? My background primarily is in psych; what is the worth of MSW/MPH degrees. Are dual MPH degrees worth it? i.e./ mph/mid, mph/msw, etc.

Hello Guys,
I have a GPA 3.1 (MD IMG), I have passed step 2 CK (242) (I don't know if this helps?)
GRE V157 Q162 AWA awaiting.
One year undergraduate research
One year medical internship
Some extra-curricular experience.
One strong recommendation from a faculty, the other two I'm not sure.
Taking Data Science Specialization Course at coursera.org. Have introductory level knowledge of R programming.

I'm Applying to BU, UMN, Georgia Southern, UNT, UWSTL, UIC Management and Policy concentration (any suggestions?)

I don't know if my application will be a good one, and I really need to get an RA or scholarship.

I am currently a senior at UGA - my major is Microbiology and I have 2 minors: global health & spanish.
I have a 3.9 and just got a GRE score of 309 with a 5.5 writing score. (My lab professor said I should probably retake - I have been in and out of the hospital with an illness and was very sick while taking it so maybe I should - not sure about what an average GRE score is for the programs I want )
I also work in a lab and have this experience under my belt.

I've been wrestling with which schools I have a chance of getting into and if I should just go for an MPH and not a PhD.
I've thought about GWU, Yale, Brown, Ohio State.
Am I shooting to high?

Does anyone have some insight into if I have a slight chance of getting into a PhD programs at any of these schools or similar ones? Advice?
Thanks in advance!

It's tough for an undergrad to make the jump into the PhD programs at most institutions. You seem to have good academic stats, especially with a GRE retake, but a few years of experience, a robust set of LORs, having a really well grounded and highly specific knowledge of your research interests is going to make or break your application. Sounds like you have some of this, but being an undergrad means time is working against you. You don't mention if epi, enviro, or any other broad categories fit your bill, so I wouldn't rush it and spend time figuring out what you want to do.

If I were you, I'd target some MPH programs and get more experience under your belt to (a) develop your application portfolio and (b) figure out exactly where you want to take your career in public health. If you figure out right away (say in year 1 of your 2 years master's), that PhD is definitely for you, many schools allow MPH students to transfer into a PhD track between their first and second years.

tl;dr - don't rush.

@Masgniw

My recommendations would be from my current research professor, a professor I had for an upper level Global Health Class (she now lives in Germany - and is in charge of many different research studies being done in about 4 different countries), and a faculty advisor for a student organization I have consistently been a part of for the past 4 years. I know that I want to do Epidemiology - field epidemiology/infectious diseases are what interest me the most. I know if I got into a PhD program that I would be able to handle the change of curriculum and train of thought needed as opposed to undergraduate studies.
My only reservation with an MPH program is the price associated as opposed to having funding while pursuing a PhD - transferring to a PhD track after a year in an MPH program is definitely something to keep on mind though!
Thank you for the advice!

Agree with the other poster, although I would suggest an MS over an MPH for your situation. It will be more research focused, more likely to be funded (although still unlikely), and will be easier to transition/apply coursework to a PhD. This will also give you time to be sure you want to do a PhD. Unless that reason is to become an independent research scientist....I would advise against a PhD.

What exactly is the difference between an MS and an MPH.
Also why do you advise against a PhD?

Thanks for the advice!!!!!

@agh2415

Many PhD programs won't accept you without a masters anyway.

This is another good point. You're going up against people with masters and/or many years of experience - you're going to have to elevate yourself head and shoulders above these other applicants (if non-master's holders are even considered). Keep in mind a lot of schools are accepting just single digits into their epi PhD programs - acceptance at good schools is already tough if you're well qualified. Getting in as an MPH student is much easier for those with limited experience.

In terms of price a thought:
Getting funded as a PhD students isn't a guarantee at many, many schools. A lot of it depends on experience and what you can bring to the table to help out the department. For example, a proficient SAS programmer can help faculty with their research and therefore get funded. Investing in a year or two of Master's level education helps you get funded for your PhD. Just like getting a job, you need highly marketable skills to make you "fundable"

@Victorializ

Hello all,

I am interested in health management/admin/consulting, prefer to go into consulting for 2-3 years then go into health industry OR get an MBA at top school. I'm thinking about applying for a graduate MHA or MPH degree this academic year to 1) be qualified for higher-level/paying/demanding jobs, 2) make up for low GPA to increase chances of getting into MBA school (if I deem it necessary for my career growth...)

Statistics:

Year: Senior
Undergraduate university: Top public university (UC school)
Undergraduate major: Political Science and Economics
GPA: Overall 3.24, Major 3.33
Expected graduation date: May 2016
GRE Scores: Will be taking it sometime 2016
Volunteer: N/a

Accomplishments/Experience:
1) Internship at healthcare consulting firm
2) Internship at major health insurance plan
3) 3 years in health education role
4) 2 years of health economic-related research
5) first generation college student - if that counts for anything...

Programs Considering:
USC MHA - since I'm within GPA range
Johns Hopkins MHA
UCLA MPH
Yale MPH

Criteria:
1) Open to accepting recent undergrads
2) Class profile stats (GPA, GRE...)
3) Placement of alumni
4) Location - prefer Cali or program strength
5) Health management/finance/business focus

- and open to suggestions!