The "Help Me Decorate!" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, of course my muscles and upper body strength got me on the counter. But I would still be too far to the left. I literally sat in the sink facing the wall, my entire legs fit no problem. I even had a little back rest from the other part of the sink as support.

Yea, the letters are for me and Corky, but he comes first :D
Do I get 2.5 extra credit points? Also, what are these points for? :shifty:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up :p

I like globes, leave me alone! My classmate and I came to the decision that in a past life I was a big breasted interior designer named Ethel who had a large FUPA.

Ethel, that new blouse looks particularly flattering on you today.

Reactions: 1 user
Did a thing in my kitchen today
image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
That is useful! And neat.

At first the fridge looked like a massive bottle of wine and I got excited.
I honestly got fed up with my pile of pans in a cupboard. These are just nails. Wanted to do some fancy thing with wood matching the cupboards but, I got impatient.

I honestly got fed up with my pile of pans in a cupboard. These are just nails. Wanted to do some fancy thing with wood matching the cupboards but, I got impatient.
Mine are currently all in drawers and under the stove. I hate it. They make so much noise to take out, so I cannot cook anything unless everyone else in the house is already awake.

Finally making progress on decorating! Need a few more things on the wall still, and decorative things that aren't candles, but it's getting there. I have more pillows somewhere in an aqua that matches the candlesticks, but they apparently got relocated while I had company here....

Attachments

• IMG_3707.JPG
    IMG_3707.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: 6 users
Also been working on my stenciling skills to dress up the boring hallway a bit. Have more at the other end that's still in progress but so far I like it!

Attachments

• IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: 5 users
Okay, experts. What do you do with the worlds ugliest mismatched closet doors?

Important details:
1) buying new doors is $$$$$$$ and not happening anytime soon
2) walls will eventually be painted a very light yellow or cream. I think. Carpet is blue so I can't overwhelm the room too much.
3) not sure I want to paint the trim in just one room- whole house is oak trim.
4) Rest of the room is navy and grey accents. Ignore the bedspread in the picture, it's been replaced.

Attachments

• guest room.jpg
    guest room.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 54
Okay, experts. What do you do with the worlds ugliest mismatched closet doors?

Important details:
1) buying new doors is $$$$$$$ and not happening anytime soon
2) walls will eventually be painted a very light yellow or cream. I think. Carpet is blue so I can't overwhelm the room too much.
3) not sure I want to paint the trim in just one room- whole house is oak trim.
4) Rest of the room is navy and grey accents. Ignore the bedspread in the picture, it's been replaced.

Multiple ideas:

- Paint the same color as the walls
- Take the doors off and put up a curtain that coordinates with the bed linens
- Assuming they are real wood: If you're okay with experimentation, buy some stain and some sand paper (if there is a poly coated finish on the doors) and try to even out the color a little.
- If you're looking to get all artsy fartsy and want to make some kind of inlaid wood design, you can buy rolls of oak veneer (for edging tables and stuff) for a a decent price and make some kind of design, like herringbone or something. Most that I've seen have a heat activated glue that should work with a regular iron. Then you can stain it to match the woodwork.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a curtain instead of closet door, and I like it. My closet is about 1/3 that size though.

Multiple ideas:

- Paint the same color as the walls
- Take the doors off and put up a curtain that coordinates with the bed linens
- Assuming they are real wood: If you're okay with experimentation, buy some stain and some sand paper (if there is a poly coated finish on the doors) and try to even out the color a little.
- If you're looking to get all artsy fartsy and want to make some kind of inlaid wood design, you can buy rolls of oak veneer (for edging tables and stuff) for a a decent price and make some kind of design, like herringbone or something. Most that I've seen have a heat activated glue that should work with a regular iron. Then you can stain it to match the woodwork.

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't think curtains will work well (it's a small room, and 2 of the other walls are already >50% curtain), but a friend suggested taking the doors off and leaving it open...Would give me room for a dresser and some baskets and such. I'm contemplating that idea, at least for now. All that's in the closet right now is some guest towels/sheets so it's not like I have a ton of stuff to hide!

I like the idea of inlaid wood design, but that sounds way too complicated. If I painted I would totally stencil something, but I can't decide on color or how it would look in such a small room.

Oh! if I paint them the same as the walls I could totally stencil in navy to match the accent pieces. This might work.

Reactions: 1 user