The "Help Me Decorate!" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, of course my muscles and upper body strength got me on the counter. But I would still be too far to the left. I literally sat in the sink facing the wall, my entire legs fit no problem. I even had a little back rest from the other part of the sink as support.

Yea, the letters are for me and Corky, but he comes first 😀
Do I get 2.5 extra credit points? Also, what are these points for? 😏
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did a thing in my kitchen today
image.jpeg
 
I honestly got fed up with my pile of pans in a cupboard. These are just nails. Wanted to do some fancy thing with wood matching the cupboards but, I got impatient.
Mine are currently all in drawers and under the stove. I hate it. They make so much noise to take out, so I cannot cook anything unless everyone else in the house is already awake.
 
Okay, experts. What do you do with the worlds ugliest mismatched closet doors?

Important details:
1) buying new doors is $$$$$$$ and not happening anytime soon
2) walls will eventually be painted a very light yellow or cream. I think. Carpet is blue so I can't overwhelm the room too much.
3) not sure I want to paint the trim in just one room- whole house is oak trim.
4) Rest of the room is navy and grey accents. Ignore the bedspread in the picture, it's been replaced.
 

Attachments

  • guest room.jpg
    guest room.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 162
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, experts. What do you do with the worlds ugliest mismatched closet doors?

Important details:
1) buying new doors is $$$$$$$ and not happening anytime soon
2) walls will eventually be painted a very light yellow or cream. I think. Carpet is blue so I can't overwhelm the room too much.
3) not sure I want to paint the trim in just one room- whole house is oak trim.
4) Rest of the room is navy and grey accents. Ignore the bedspread in the picture, it's been replaced.

Multiple ideas:

- Paint the same color as the walls
- Take the doors off and put up a curtain that coordinates with the bed linens
- Assuming they are real wood: If you're okay with experimentation, buy some stain and some sand paper (if there is a poly coated finish on the doors) and try to even out the color a little.
- If you're looking to get all artsy fartsy and want to make some kind of inlaid wood design, you can buy rolls of oak veneer (for edging tables and stuff) for a a decent price and make some kind of design, like herringbone or something. Most that I've seen have a heat activated glue that should work with a regular iron. Then you can stain it to match the woodwork.
 
Multiple ideas:

- Paint the same color as the walls
- Take the doors off and put up a curtain that coordinates with the bed linens
- Assuming they are real wood: If you're okay with experimentation, buy some stain and some sand paper (if there is a poly coated finish on the doors) and try to even out the color a little.
- If you're looking to get all artsy fartsy and want to make some kind of inlaid wood design, you can buy rolls of oak veneer (for edging tables and stuff) for a a decent price and make some kind of design, like herringbone or something. Most that I've seen have a heat activated glue that should work with a regular iron. Then you can stain it to match the woodwork.

Thanks for the ideas!

I don't think curtains will work well (it's a small room, and 2 of the other walls are already >50% curtain), but a friend suggested taking the doors off and leaving it open...Would give me room for a dresser and some baskets and such. I'm contemplating that idea, at least for now. All that's in the closet right now is some guest towels/sheets so it's not like I have a ton of stuff to hide!

I like the idea of inlaid wood design, but that sounds way too complicated. If I painted I would totally stencil something, but I can't decide on color or how it would look in such a small room.

Oh! if I paint them the same as the walls I could totally stencil in navy to match the accent pieces. This might work.