The "Help Me Decorate!" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supershorty

Don't look so vexed, toots.
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since a bunch of us were talking about this on the "Rave here" thread...

I definitely need help decorating, I'm moving from a 1BR apartment to a 3BR/2 bath house, so I have a lot of empty space at the moment. One room is going to be my study cave, but I currently have nothing for that room aside from a few textbooks. I can post pictures tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on when I get my internet up and running at the house. The only pictures I have right now are of the outside, which probably aren't all that helpful for decorating the inside.

Others who were asking for or offering advice, go for it :)

Members don't see this ad.

My decorating contribution is

DON'T LET THE BEER BOTTLES KEEP COLLECTING.

bottle pickup is only once a month. Unless you want to load up and get to the recycling center, then drink on!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My decorating contribution is

DON'T LET THE BEER BOTTLES KEEP COLLECTING.

bottle pickup is only once a month. Unless you want to load up and get to the recycling center, then drink on!

Psh, forget bottles. Cans are classy.

Cans = beeramyd

image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
I keep finding empty wine bottles that belong to my roommate but I can't tell if she's keeping them for sentimental reasons or decorative reasons or what. She's out of the state until the middle of August, so I was afraid to throw them out. I have made a corner of our living room that is only alcohol and alcohol paraphernalia (dedicated beer fridge!!! :hungover:), it's basically the most college thing in our place.

Reactions: 1 user
Project number 1: I need things to fill up a rather large blank wall. Help? The fireplace may or may not stay in that room but I had to put something there!

ImageUploadedBySDN1468852795.065314.jpg

Project number 1: I need things to fill up a rather large blank wall. Help? The fireplace may or may not stay in that room but I had to put something there!

View attachment 206460

Dat couch tho. It wouldn't match a single thing in my house but I still miss it sometimes.

The fireplace looks tiny on that big wall. You probably need something a bit bigger. If not the TV, then maybe a sofa table with a tall arrangement, something like that... or even a loveseat?

Area rugs do a lot to cozy up a space. Plus a few throw pillows - like nice puffy pops of color, instead of the flattened ones that blend in. (Use those on top of the bench/chest?) Everything in that room is red and tan. You need to find an accent color, and add a rug (that preferably isn't red and/or tan).

Plus, the more colors you have to work with, the easier it is to find artwork etc. to add and make it look more lived in.

I'm also trying to decorate a study room. I'm not much of desk person (because they are too small) but I will planning on putting a dining room table in instead. It's not a huge room, so I was thinking of putting in a colorful soft rug to study on the floor and maybe a beanbag to read on. I'll probably also get a few chairs to put around my desk/table in case people want to come over and study together. Definitely putting in a whiteboard or two as well :)

I'll just say this: in 2007-ish when I was at the University of Texas, I went so over the top with my room. I had multiple girls ask me if I was gay. Will try to dig up a pic.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm pretty pleased with what I managed in my small room this year. It's probably one of my favorite's despite being small. And I'm keeping it clean!!! May post a picture later. But I'm going to follow this for ideas for the living space and such. My roomies and I have a huge dining room and living room. We're still in the process of unpacking so it's kind of a disaster and still full of boxes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dat couch tho. It wouldn't match a single thing in my house but I still miss it sometimes.

The fireplace looks tiny on that big wall. You probably need something a bit bigger. If not the TV, then maybe a sofa table with a tall arrangement, something like that... or even a loveseat?

Area rugs do a lot to cozy up a space. Plus a few throw pillows - like nice puffy pops of color, instead of the flattened ones that blend in. (Use those on top of the bench/chest?) Everything in that room is red and tan. You need to find an accent color, and add a rug (that preferably isn't red and/or tan).

Plus, the more colors you have to work with, the easier it is to find artwork etc. to add and make it look more lived in.

But what accent color?? Everything in this room is things I already owned- can't afford new furniture right now. Just finished painting it last week, hence the need to finally decorate. Pillows, lamps, etc all going to be replaced at some point before furniture. But it's the picking a color part that I struggle with.... Hence why half my house is grey!

The sunroom is more of my actual living room with TV, big sectional, etc so this is more of a useless sitting room, really only gets used in winter when I want the heat from the fireplace.

I'm having a tough time taking representative pictures with my laptop but I don't have a smartphone, so...

Project 1 - decorating the guest bedroom. Just finished painting it SW Repose Gray (which looks weird in these pictures), trim in white. Carpet came as it is, kind of a blue-green, not really wanting/able to replace at the moment. Room is ~16x16 with a weird little closet/dressing area. Currently have a queen sized bed, a white dresser we picked up on the side of the road for free, a little wooden filing cabinet and an ugly black IKEA desk that I plan to move anyway.

My questions are:
- bedspread color...currently "porcelain blue" but I thought it would be more blue and less seafoam-y. I ordered a "midnight blue" (so much darker/navy) to try out so I can return either but no pics of the darker color yet. Thoughts on either one?
- what color nightstand? The little wooden filing drawer is obviously temporary. White seems like there'd be too much white with the bed color, but a light blue might not "go" with the seafoamy color OR the midnight blue. Halp.
- what to put over the bed, over the dresser, etc. We have an extra TV we could put in there but no extra cable hookup, heh.

And any other general advice/thoughts welcome :)

Photo%20on%207-19-16%20at%208.46%20AM_zpsyzaukrrs.jpg

Photo%20on%207-19-16%20at%208.47%20AM_zpsbjkobtjz.jpg

Photo%20on%207-19-16%20at%208.48%20AM_zpsucmdybru.jpg

Last edited:

I agree something big over the fireplace - maybe a large mirror with a frame around it? You could also try to make a floating mantle/ledge of sorts that you could put a large thing on and add a couple smaller things around. I think a lighter/cream colored rug could open the room up/contrast with the darker reds more.

I literally have a fecal scoring chart on my wall, and at least 80% of my furniture is from ikea. This thread just reminds me how horrible of an adult I am.

I literally have a fecal scoring chart on my wall, and at least 80% of my furniture is from ikea. This thread just reminds me how horrible of an adult I am.

I really don't judge other people's places, I just want to (finally) have something of an adult-esque place to live after years of moving all around. Now that we've had our house for a year I figure it's time.

I have three bookshelves. The corner one is pretty much in the best spot for it (no other good corners in the apartment except in the bedroom) but it is a medium wood and my bedroom furniture will be black. Should I try painting it?

The other two are free standing and I just haven't decided yet where I want them (bedroom or living/dining room, placement within particular room). I can potentially paint the white one as well. The metal one is a dark bronze color i guess, with some black, id like to leave it as is and just find a good spot for it. I'll have to figure that out once I know what my couch and table+chairs look like (getting those from future SIL in a couple weeks). Gonna try to get some pictures of those later today. So basically for this post, focusing on the first one and what to do about it not matching my (incoming) black bedroom funiture.

Here are the bookshelves:
20160719_110734.jpg
20160719_110759.jpg
20160719_110810.jpg

I have three bookshelves. The corner one is pretty much in the best spot for it (no other good corners in the apartment except in the bedroom) but it is a medium wood and my bedroom furniture will be black. Should I try painting it?

The other two are free standing and I just haven't decided yet where I want them (bedroom or living/dining room, placement within particular room). I can potentially paint the white one as well. The metal one is a dark bronze color i guess, with some black, id like to leave it as is and just find a good spot for it. I'll have to figure that out once I know what my couch and table+chairs look like (getting those from future SIL in a couple weeks). Gonna try to get some pictures of those later today. So basically for this post, focusing on the first one and what to do about it not matching my (incoming) black bedroom funiture.

Here are the bookshelves:
View attachment 206498 View attachment 206499 View attachment 206500
The wire one would look good with plants on it. Maybe if you have a room that has good light, you could have a nice garden type environment.

The wire one would look good with plants on it. Maybe if you have a room that has good light, you could have a nice garden type environment.
That's not a bad idea. I currently have a plastic shelving unit on the balcony that will be for plants, so the garden idea does appeal. However I might actually need the shelf for books...not sure since the corner one is new (to me, from Mr. Dubz's family) and I don't know yet how many it will hold.

@WildZoo I wouldn't paint the bookshelf. I just recently stained all of the cabinets in my house and they were that honey oak color. This is the only easily accessible picture I have but you can see the cabinets in the background. It was a slight PITA, not gonna lie, but would look so much better than painted. Essentially you'd need to disassemble the bookshelf as much as possible (probably just remove the shelving), lightly sand (the most annoying part), then apply 2 coats of stain, and 2 coats of top coat. The stain I used (link below) is a gel and I used old socks to apply it. You can't tell in the picture but irl you can see the wood grain, which you probably wouldn't see with paint.

Amazon product

Amazon product

FullSizeRender.jpg

Is it just me or are my links not showing in the above post?

If there is a high level of protection, links from Facebook and other internet sites don't always show up. I can see them, but I don't have security in place like I should. People are welcome to see all I have to offer. hehe

Weird, I have no idea what's happening. Anyway, the stain and top coat can be bought on Amazon. General Finishes Java Gel Stain and General Finishes Gel Topcoat. For some unknown reason Home Depot doesn't carry the brand but consider this your warning - DON'T use any of the liquid stains! We tried that first and it was a nightmare. Gel is your friend :bow:

Here is the couch (technically love seat but I'm not picky), which is going in the living room area when I get it, and the table and chairs which will be in the dining room area. These designations are kind of arbitrary, there is no separation between the two. I'm told the table has a red painted design on it.
received_10210160869127533.jpeg
received_10210160872087607.jpeg

I agree something big over the fireplace - maybe a large mirror with a frame around it? You could also try to make a floating mantle/ledge of sorts that you could put a large thing on and add a couple smaller things around. I think a lighter/cream colored rug could open the room up/contrast with the darker reds more.
Oooooh, mirror, I like this option, @cowgirla

Project 1 - My questions are:
- bedspread color...currently "porcelain blue" but I thought it would be more blue and less seafoam-y. I ordered a "midnight blue" (so much darker/navy) to try out so I can return either but no pics of the darker color yet. Thoughts on either one?
- what color nightstand? The little wooden filing drawer is obviously temporary. White seems like there'd be too much white with the bed color, but a light blue might not "go" with the seafoamy color OR the midnight blue. Halp.
- what to put over the bed, over the dresser, etc. We have an extra TV we could put in there but no extra cable hookup, heh.

Depending on the blue you get (pics please???), I think dark blue/midnight blue would be pretty. And a white nightstand would be a pretty contrast (I'm a sucker for dark blues coupled with whites, they can really make things pop, yanno?)

As far extra decorations, mirrors are always nice? I also love nice framed art pieces. Or I love making smallish art collages (postcards/photos from friends to put up on the wall). Anything that makes the space feel like yours and happy :)

That's not a bad idea. I currently have a plastic shelving unit on the balcony that will be for plants, so the garden idea does appeal. However I might actually need the shelf for books...not sure since the corner one is new (to me, from Mr. Dubz's family) and I don't know yet how many it will hold.
You could use it for kitchen stuff too. I am picturing it in the kitchen. If you want to use all for books, place them in different rooms and organize them with themed books (like textbooks, leisure, etc) or something. You could store DVDs on them too? I like the staining idea :)

My bedroom furniture is being delivered today and I have no idea how I want it arranged
Patrick-Spongebob-Freak-Out-Run-In-Circles.gif

Text me. I got you, DubZ. I'll arrange it from afar :biglove: I'll just be hiding in my room from my sister with my cat, organizing my paper stacks from vet school and stressing over my interview tomorrow. And prepping for NAVLE :whoa::boom::penguin:

Text me. I got you, DubZ. I'll arrange it from afar :biglove: I'll just be hiding in my room from my sister with my cat, organizing my paper stacks from vet school and stressing over my interview tomorrow. And prepping for NAVLE :whoa::boom::penguin:
Sent you texts galore!

Photo%20on%207-22-16%20at%2010.21%20AM_zps0xl9kdan.jpg

Another poor quality laptop picture of the darker color versus the seafoam-y one from above...I like the contrast more but the seafoam one looks more neutral and calm. I don't know, that's why I'm posting here :(

Photo%20on%207-22-16%20at%2010.21%20AM_zps0xl9kdan.jpg

Another poor quality laptop picture of the darker color versus the seafoam-y one from above...I like the contrast more but the seafoam one looks more neutral and calm. I don't know, that's why I'm posting here :(
Your throw pillows could be used to even out the transition. Something that is in between the two and blends them together.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm having a tough time taking representative pictures with my laptop but I don't have a smartphone, so...

Project 1 - decorating the guest bedroom. Just finished painting it SW Repose Gray (which looks weird in these pictures), trim in white. Carpet came as it is, kind of a blue-green, not really wanting/able to replace at the moment. Room is ~16x16 with a weird little closet/dressing area. Currently have a queen sized bed, a white dresser we picked up on the side of the road for free, a little wooden filing cabinet and an ugly black IKEA desk that I plan to move anyway.

My questions are:

Depending on what look you're into or going for, I think either would work well!

With darker blue, you'll want to break up the darkness with lighter sheets. You probably really wouldn't want much dark blue beyond the bedspread to keep it from getting too dark. I think lupins idea of a small blanket at the end of the bed would be great, especially if you found a white,light blue, grey, etc. Throw pillows are my favorite place to add pattern to a room, you can get tons of great throw pillows for cheap at places like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. (I think those are all nation wide?) Mirrors are great for hanging on walls, but can be expensive. I think the wall color you have is great right now too. I found a few pictures with some ideas. The one picture is kind of a nautical theme, but you really could do anything.

ImageUploadedBySDN1469205080.848283.jpg

As for bedside tables, I think white would actually go really well. If you could find one with open shelves, or a glass front, you could put some cute colored accent pieces in there. Baskets are great for decorating too. Especially the ones with the little fabric liners because you can pick any color liner to add some pop.

ImageUploadedBySDN1469205102.451038.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1469205111.593528.jpg

Sea foam would be pretty too. I'd accent with whites, greys, and tans. I personally avoid white sheets because I think it's a great place for accents. If you have a plain colored bedspread you could even go for patterned sheets. You could go totally ornate, or a bit more plain. If you don't want patterned sheets a light grey is always nice or a cream color.

ImageUploadedBySDN1469204909.127077.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1469204952.471291.jpg

Probably total overkill and way more than you were really looking for, but there are some ideas!!

Depending on what look you're into or going for, I think either would work well!

With darker blue, you'll want to break up the darkness with lighter sheets. You probably really wouldn't want much dark blue beyond the bedspread to keep it from getting too dark. I think lupins idea of a small blanket at the end of the bed would be great, especially if you found a white,light blue, grey, etc. Throw pillows are my favorite place to add pattern to a room, you can get tons of great throw pillows for cheap at places like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx etc. (I think those are all nation wide?) Mirrors are great for hanging on walls, but can be expensive. I think the wall color you have is great right now too. I found a few pictures with some ideas. The one picture is kind of a nautical theme, but you really could do anything.

View attachment 206665

As for bedside tables, I think white would actually go really well. If you could find one with open shelves, or a glass front, you could put some cute colored accent pieces in there. Baskets are great for decorating too. Especially the ones with the little fabric liners because you can pick any color liner to add some pop.

View attachment 206666View attachment 206667

Sea foam would be pretty too. I'd accent with whites, greys, and tans. I personally avoid white sheets because I think it's a great place for accents. If you have a plain colored bedspread you could even go for patterned sheets. You could go totally ornate, or a bit more plain. If you don't want patterned sheets a light grey is always nice or a cream color.

View attachment 206663
View attachment 206664

Probably total overkill and way more than you were really looking for, but there are some ideas!!

Sooo helpful, thank you :) I'm a lover of plain white sheets everywhere so I went for pattern in the curtains and then will again try for pattern in the pillows/bedside rugs and more pop to the little stuff, etc.

Alright, I'm throwing in my living room.
image.jpeg

What is a good orientation for this room? The black blob in the back left are two gaming chairs that I'm taking out and getting rid of. The desk on the left is getting replaced by the desk in the foreground. My cable hook up is on the far wall, so I don't want those to go far.

Alright, I'm throwing in my living room.
View attachment 206744

What is a good orientation for this room? The black blob in the back left are two gaming chairs that I'm taking out and getting rid of. The desk on the left is getting replaced by the desk in the foreground. My cable hook up is on the far wall, so I don't want those to go far.
Hm I'm trying to get an idea of what the purpose of the room is...